PDA

View Full Version : We are currently listed as the fifth seed

broken12
12-27-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true
MUST BE DUE TO ALL THE TEAMS AT 8-7 TAKES THE HEAD TO HEAD TIEBREAKER FROM BALTIMORE AND PITTSBURGE

camdisco24
12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Plus we still have a divisional game so thats throwing a loop in it a little bit too.
I havent seen a playoff picture like this in years.

Timmy!
12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's updated yet. I think we are at #8 right now actually. Behind Bal, Pit, NYJ. Although we do have the same conference record as the Jets, I think they have the common opponents tiebreaker. I'm sure it will get settled before tomorrow, but basically the Broncos need a win+ a loss by two of the 3 teams. Then again, If Houston were to win next week and finish 9-7 as well, who the hell knows. If 5 teams all finish 9-7 (Den, Bal, Pit, Nyj, Hou) I honestly don't know how it's figured. :eek:

broken12
12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I remember that year it was the same when we were tied with buffalo and we beat them head to head but so many teams were tied so we lost out and head to head didnt matter....think it was five years ago not sure though....i remember portis was still here though

JDL
12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
We are not the 5th seed.

Jets have a better common opponent tiebreaker - minimum 4 games (we have 2 losses, thanks to losing to Oak/Ind) and the Jets have 1 loss (to NE) - Jets take 5th seed.

Baltimore takes 6th because of head 2 head over us.

Denver is next thanks to a 3-way tiebreaker existing between DEN/PIT/HOU that grants us the next position thanks to Conference record.

Pittsburgh/Houston - don't know who wins out between them. Don't really care to look.

Watchthemiddle
12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
NE @ Houston
Cincy @ Jets
Bal @ Oak
Pitt @ Miami

broken12
12-27-2009, 08:50 PM
WE ARE THE FIFTH SEED DUE TO OUR DIVISION RECORD 5-3
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

broken12
12-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Jets or texans win and denver wins and we are in! Just on 850koa

JDL
12-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Sigh...the misinformation is ridiculous.

Division record is inconsequential between non-division opponents. To break a WILDCARD TIE... please read the tiebreaking procedures and find the section applicable to WILDCARD teams and then read as follows

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Right now,

Jets - take 5th seed since they have a better common opponent record, they have just 1 loss to common opponents of either Baltimore or Denver.

Ravens - take 6th seed - 1) better division record than Pittsburgh they advance to wildcard tiebreaker with Hou/Den 2) Hou drops out due to conf record 3) tiebreaker starts over with two club tiebreaker noted above and they have beaten Denver.

Denver - out of playoffs.

sigh...

broken12
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Is this right? It simplifies it more than anything else I've seen.

For the Broncos to capture an AFC wild-card spot, there are two scenarios more likely than others:

* The Broncos beat Kansas City, which would improve their record to 9-7, and either 8-7 Baltimore or 8-7 Pittsburgh loses. Baltimore and Pittsburgh have the head-to-head tiebreaker on the Broncos. Baltimore plays at 5-10 Oakland next Sunday and Pittsburgh plays at 7-8 Miami.

* The Broncos beat Kansas City and either the Houston Texans beat New England, or the New York Jets defeat the Cincinnati Bengals. In this scenario, even if Pittsburgh and Baltimore win their games, the Broncos would get in because the head-to-head tiebreaker falls away.

* It's slightly possible for the Broncos to lose to Kansas City and still make the playoffs with an 8-8 record, but they would need multiple other games to

honz
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Sigh...the misinformation is ridiculous.

Division record is inconsequential between non-division opponents. To break a WILDCARD TIE... please read the tiebreaking procedures and find the section applicable to WILDCARD teams and then read as follows

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Right now,

Jets - take 5th seed since they have a better common opponent record, they have just 1 loss to common opponents of either Baltimore or Denver.

Ravens - take 6th seed - 1) better division record than Pittsburgh they advance to wildcard tiebreaker with Hou/Den 2) Hou drops out due to conf record 3) tiebreaker starts over with two club tiebreaker noted above and they have beaten Denver.

Denver - out of playoffs.

sigh...
Thanks for the elitist explanation for all of the idiots that don't spend hours of their lives figuring out the tiebreaker scenarios.

JDL
12-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the elitist explanation for all of the idiots that don't spend hours of their lives figuring out the tiebreaker scenarios.

You're quite welcome... ;)

JDL
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Is this right? It simplifies it more than anything else I've seen.

For the Broncos to capture an AFC wild-card spot, there are two scenarios more likely than others:

* The Broncos beat Kansas City, which would improve their record to 9-7, and either 8-7 Baltimore or 8-7 Pittsburgh loses. Baltimore and Pittsburgh have the head-to-head tiebreaker on the Broncos. Baltimore plays at 5-10 Oakland next Sunday and Pittsburgh plays at 7-8 Miami.

* The Broncos beat Kansas City and either the Houston Texans beat New England, or the New York Jets defeat the Cincinnati Bengals. In this scenario, even if Pittsburgh and Baltimore win their games, the Broncos would get in because the head-to-head tiebreaker falls away.

* It's slightly possible for the Broncos to lose to Kansas City and still make the playoffs with an 8-8 record, but they would need multiple other games to

Think of it like this...

2 openings left for the AFC Playoffs...

STEP 1

Baltimore OR NY must lose (they control their own destiny.)

If one loses, that leaves one spot

(So either the Ravens have lost or taken 5th seed or Jets have taken 5th seed in this scenario and the other team has fallen to 8-8.)

STEP 2

If Pit wins and Hou loses that leaves Pit and Den tied and head 2 head is applicable, thus we lose.

If Pit wins and Hou wins, head 2 head is not applicable and you move to conference record, thus Denver wins.

Buff
12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Now we've resorted to wishing ourselves into the playoffs I see.

broken12
12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
basically jets or houston win, we win we in...easiest way to get in...wouldnt matter what the others do!

Shazam!
12-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry people, but even KC isn't a gimme. You know they'd love to beat Denver at home.

I've been waiting for the 9th win what seems like forever. It may not be coming.

They gotta take care of their own business first before thinking about what happens with other teams.

getlynched47
12-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Wait....what????

Jets took our wild-card instead of the Steelers???

Regardless, we're gonna have to pull a miracle our of our asses to make the playoffs. Both teams mentioned need to lose next week and we need to win.

I'm not counting on it though

Crush05
12-27-2009, 09:41 PM
You know if we make it or not for a rebuilding season and a complete team overhaul from coaches to players we cannot be to upset if we do not make it, but we do not need to be happy we also. Our season was a series of ups and downs but we have learned this new system and with the off season we will be better for it! Just my opinion. I am a Broncos fan playoffs or not!!:salute: Prefer the playoffs though to quiet all the ney sayers!

MasterShake
12-27-2009, 09:44 PM
You know if we make it or not for a rebuilding season and a complete team overhaul from coaches to players we cannot be to upset if we do not make it, but we do not need to be happy we also. Our season was a series of ups and downs but we have learned this new system and with the off season we will be better for it! Just my opinion. I am a Broncos fan playoffs or not!!:salute: Prefer the playoffs though to quiet all the ney sayers!

I love how good we did this year considering. We beat some good teams, and lost to some bad ones. I would love to see just one Broncos playoff game, though!

Crush05
12-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I love how good we did this year considering. We beat some good teams, and lost to some bad ones. I would love to see just one Broncos playoff game, though!

Agreed!

underrated29
12-27-2009, 09:47 PM
ok we are in the playoffs...

Apparantly the whole tie breaker that balt and pits have over us DO NOT apply when there are more than 2 teams fighting for the wildcard position.

Since there is a 5 way tie- we have a better conference record and are in. Basically if we beat KC we are in the playoffs.

This has been reported on cbs.com and Nfl. com

I didnt check for authenticity but at BM they are sure going with it...(but then again not everyone there is 100%)

Crush05
12-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Apparantly the whole tie breaker that balt and pits have over us DO NOT apply when there are more than 2 teams fighting for the wildcard position.

Since there is a 5 way tie- we have a better conference record and are in. Basically if we beat KC we are in the playoffs.

I didnt check for authenticity but at BM they are sure going with it...(but then again not everyone there is 100%)

Well if this is correct and we can find a way to win next week we have dodged a bullet and proved all of the nay sayers wrong! GO BRONCOS!!!!

Shazam!
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
All I asked for before the Season started was 9 wins and they can't ****ing get it.

JDL
12-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Sorry, that is incorrect. The confusion is arising from the following

3-way tie amongst wildcard contenders

4) Common Opponent (Minimum 4)
5) Strength of Victory

CURRENTLY, Baltimore has not met the min. required number of opponents (4) for that tiebreaker to qualify and Denver CURRENTLY has a better strength of victory than the NYJ and BAL.

HOWEVER, (and unfortunately) this technicality is resolved next week when Baltimore plays Oakland. When that occurs, they meet the min. requirements for the number 4 tiebreaker to be applied in a 3-way tie. The Jets amongst those 4 opponents (CIN/IND/OAK/NE) is currently 3-1 [NE x2], Denver is 3-2 [OAK x2], and BAL is 0-4 [Cin x2]

Thus, the Jets THEN advance to the 5 seed and it leaves us in a tie with Baltimore who owns the tiebreaker over us.

The sites are actually correct, but only because the #4 tiebreaker in a 3-way tie for a wildcard spot, is not CURRENTLY qualified, but will be next week. So, all the 'as of today' language means just that. as of today.. but tomorrow is something different. I hate to say.

Medford Bronco
12-27-2009, 10:01 PM
If we beat Oak last week this is mute :puke:

broken12
12-28-2009, 12:20 AM
jets or houston win, then we have to win and we are in regardless of others....

BroncoWave
12-28-2009, 12:28 AM
jets or houston win, then we have to win and we are in regardless of others....

Not true. The Jets and Ravens both control their own destiny, so one of them most definitely has to lose.

If we win and the Ravens lose, we are in. If we win and the Jets lose, we need one of either Houston winning, Baltimore losing, or Pitt losing to get in.

If Baltimore and NY both win, we are out. If NY and Houston both lose and Baltimore and Pitt win we are out.

broken12
12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
anyways who really cares....kinda like when the big twelve team gets into bcs title game anyway, we arent going to do much once there!

underrated29
12-28-2009, 01:10 AM
eff. that.

One year in my rec hockey league we went 0-22 on the season. But in the rec league everyone gets a shot in the playoffs. We won the cup that year. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Guys step up their game to a level that is crazy. We have the talent on the team in most places to make some noise. We just have to get there first.....and hope josh calls better plays and the OL give orton the 5 seconds he has to have to be successful.

I want a playoff blowout vs no playoffs at all!

BroncoWave
12-28-2009, 01:14 AM
anyways who really cares....kinda like when the big twelve team gets into bcs title game anyway, we arent going to do much once there!

Then why the f*** did you start this thread? If you don't care, go the hell away. Trust me, no one will miss you.

I hope we make the playoffs just so you WILL go away, because you tend to disappear when we are winning.

Dean
12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
As has already been posted, we have to win and either the Jets or Ravens has to lose.

AFC Playoff Scenarios: NFL Playoff Schedule 2010
Monday, December 28, 2009 11:02

Posted in category Entertainment, News, Sports, TV ShowsNo CommentsThe NFL Playoff Schedule 2010 is about to be completed after the 17th week. The AFC is just confusing because the battle for the two wildcard berth is not over. AFC Playoff Scenarios can be wrap up by saying that the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens are in the upper hand. If both of the teams win, they are in and the AFC Playoff Scenario is over. However, what if they loss? Here is the complete AFC Playoff Scenarios.

1. Indianapolis Colts (14-1): at Bills
2. San Diego Chargers (12-3): vs. Redskins
3. New England Patriots (10-5): at Texans
4. Cincinnati Bengals (10-5): at Jets

Wild Card

5. New York Jets (8-7): vs. Bengals, win and they’re in
6. Baltimore Ravens (8-7): at Raiders, win and they’re in
—-
Denver Broncos (8-7): at Chiefs, need win, Ravens loss or Jets loss, and Pittsburgh loss or Houston win
Pittsburgh Steelers (8-7): at Dolphins, need win, Ravens loss or Jets loss, have tiebreaker on Broncos
Houston Texans (8-7): vs. Patriots, need win, Ravens loss or Jets loss, and Broncos loss, have tiebreaker on Steelers
Miami Dolphins (7-8): vs. Steelers, need wins, Jets or Ravens loss and a lot of help
Jacksonville Jaguars (7-8): at Browns, need Jets or Ravens loss and a lot of help

Come on Houston and Cinci!!!!!

underrated29
12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
As has already been posted, we have to win [U]and[U] either the Jets or Ravens has to lose.

Come on Houston and Cinci!!!!!

dont we also need pitts to lose?

-----------------
assume balt wins
assume jets lose
assume pitts wins

then balt is in, and we and pitts are in, but they have tie breaker over us. So we lose.....right?

What does the texans game have to do with anything? ----if they win they have the same record as us and pitts, but own tie breaker over pits. So they get in with us, and we have some sort of tie breaker over him?

This is not good.

I see the jets losing, but not NE, Bal, pit.

JDL
12-29-2009, 12:13 AM
dont we also need pitts to lose?

-----------------
assume balt wins
assume jets lose
assume pitts wins

then balt is in, and we and pitts are in, but they have tie breaker over us. So we lose.....right?

What does the texans game have to do with anything? ----if they win they have the same record as us and pitts, but own tie breaker over pits. So they get in with us, and we have some sort of tie breaker over him?

This is not good.

I see the jets losing, but not NE, Bal, pit.

Houston winning negates any Pittsburgh H2H tiebreaker with us and we win based on a better conference record over both Hou/Pit.