PDA

View Full Version : So how is this gonna play out?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
OK folks, here is your chance to predict the future. Knowing Shanny's history and waht you think HE BELIEVES the team's current needs are, how do you think he'll handle the offseason? Not what YOU WANT TO HAPPEN or what YOU THINK the needs are, but how, in your gut, you truly expect the offseason to go down.

For example, many see OT as a HUGE need. I personally don't like Harris, but also see that Shanny says he expects big things from him. I aso see that Lepsis is gone and the whole OLine was plagued by injuries last year...SOOOOO....as much as I would want Clady would be a potential #12, I really think Shanny will address OL later on.

Same with Safety. I want KP, but also think that Shanny is gonna give Abdullah every chance to shine...so I think he waits on Safety as well...or picks up a middle of the pack veteran for stability...like Mike Doss.

So what do YOU think Shanny will do?

mclark
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't believe the 'We Love Harris' take on the offensive line. I think we try to sign an offensive tackle as a free agent. If we do then we may not draft Clady.

I think the Broncos feel a better pass rush will help the safeties, so with an offensive tackle in free agency, we might try to trade down for Connor and Sims in the first round, something like that.

I think we've misjudged the importance of offensive and defensive line help for quite some time in Denver. When we have drafted linemen early (Foster, for instance) we haven't done well. I'm still hopeful we won't add Moss to the last set of parentheses.

Running back? Not unless we dump Henry, which would apparently cost us a lot.

claymore
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Sometimes I think you guys care to much about football.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 07:00 PM
I think Shanny goes linebacker in the 1st round.

I also think Shanny will keep a close eye on DT Shaun Rogers in Detroit.

I think he will bring in a veteran safety, probably Wesley from the Chiefs or Crocker from the Falcons.

I think Shanny cuts Walker before May 1st.

I think Ian Gold lands us a 6th or 7th rounder.

I also think Denver will be interested in either Keith Brooking or Zach Thomas.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Sometimes I think you guys care to much about football.

Is that even possible?

Bronco9798
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I think shanny trades down. I think we make one kind of big FA signing, sign a few guys for depth, and then concentrate on OL and LB, S in the draft. That's why I think,,,,just saying.....

claymore
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Is that even possible?No, I love reading it. Yoose guys are my draft Primers. :D

I think I trus you guys more than Sundquist. :eek:

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
No, I love reading it. Yoose guys are my draft Primers. :D

I think I trus you guys more than Sundquist. :eek:

I think I would trust any real Broncos fan over Sundquist... at least you know for sure that we all love and want the best for the team. Sundquist is in this for the money... none of us get paid to post here everyday and research football players.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I think shanny trades down. I think we make one kind of big FA signing, sign a few guys for depth, and then concentrate on OL and LB, S in the draft. That's why I think,,,,just saying.....

I see this draft as a GREAT opportunity to replenish the LB corps...I just hope Shanny feels the same. Unfortunately, I do not. I do see him taking 1 early LB, but I'd like to see him take 2...or even a 3rd in round 6 or 7...for depth and ST play.

broncohead
02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
We'll probably try and sign Williams in FA. He fills a need and we could focus on the rest of the needs. He might trade back to pick up an extra pick and grab Conner in the first (we were targeting Willis last year).
The second round we will be looking at OT. Gives some depth and competition.
Rd. 3 (for trading back) we'll grab a safety. Potential starter when and if Lynch retires
Rd. 4 WR and RB.
Rd. 5 safety and LB
Rd. 6 (Gold) OL
Rd. 7 OL and DT

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
OK...
1-I really do believe that if Rodgers is available at DT, Shanny will do his best to get him. I'm not a major Rodgers fan, but I also concede that he is a MAJOR upgrade.

2-Given that, I see LB and Safety being the first 2 selections. It will depend on who is available when, but I see Shanny going that route.

3-I'm guessing a deal for Rodgers would include a mid round pick this year and a 3rd rounder in 2009, so we will be down a selection...but I see Shanny loading up the rest of the way w/ interior players. I see a Kirk Barton or King Dunlap at OT...or maybe an Anthony Collins or Tony Hills in round 4.

4-Following that theme, I think we also go for a OG like Kerry Brown or John Greco.

5-Then we fill out the DLine. Kendall Langford, DE of Hampton would be a potential oversized stud of a DE for us...as could his counterpart Marcus Dixon. I think Shanny gets some size at DE and DT. Some DTs could include Ahtyba Rubin of Iowa State or Jason Shirley of Fresno.

6-I think our FA "splash will be a WR/Returnman. I also think we get a mid range FA like Mike Doss to fill in as Safety depth.

broncohead
02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
If we don't grab a DT in FA we have to take one with our first pick weather we trade down or up. Like some people have been saying it starts up front.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I also think this will be another year that I don't get a single one of my guys.

Please Shanny just take Stewart or Philip Wheeler...that is all I ask of you!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
If we don't grab a DT in FA we have to take one with our first pick weather we trade down or up. Like some people have been saying it starts up front.

Nah...ya don't reach. If the top 2 are gone and Balmer is too small, then we wait.

broncohead
02-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Like I said weather we trade up or down we need to take a DT.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
And none are round 1 worthy and a fit for us w/o completely mortgaging the future. The top 2 DTs are top 5-6 overall and the #3 is too small and risky. DTs taken in round 1 have more bust potential than almost any other position. Safeties taken in round 1 have historically minimal bust potential. At 12, I go KP and get a DT later on.

lex
02-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Like I said weather we trade up or down we need to take a DT.

Well if we dont get Ellis or Dorsey, we might as well wait and get someone like Moore or Laws who are slotted to go in the 2/3 rounds. Pat Sims would be OK too. Balmer in the 1st has a high bust factor.

dogfish
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
So what do YOU think Shanny will do?

he'll start by talking john lynch into coming back, since we "can't possibly find a better safety" than this potential hall of famer. . . . he'll also re-sign john engelberger-- i have no idea why! he'll give paymah the 3rd round tender, and package foxworth along with next year's 3rd to move up two spots in the 1st round for a player we could have gotten ten spots lower. . . .he'll finally cut ian fold. . . . he'll pay zach thomas too much money for too many years, and rave about how "lucky" we are to get a player of his caliber. . . . he'll also incurr my wrath by trading our 2nd to detroit for shaun rogers, who will promptly tear a knee ligament in camp and miss the entire season. . . . and he'll bring in pierson prioleau, who will very capably stink up one of our safety positions for the next two-and-a-half years after replacing abdullah mid-season. . . .

on offense. . . . he will "upgrade" our OT position with the immortal todd steussie, who will lend valuable moral support from his cozy spot on IR. . . . and when harris' back goes out in week 7, he'll slide pears over to LT and replace him with some UDFA even mel kiper hasn't heard of yet. . . . a stroke of true genius that no other coach in the league would dare to even contemplate! he will cut javon walker. . . . he'll give nate jackson a contract extension, but fail in his bid to talk steven alexander out of retirement-- to make up for the loss, he'll sign jerramy stevens in free agency. . . . he'll switch chris kuper to ORT to make room for ben hamilton, then switch him back by mid-season for no apparent reason. . . .

but his master stroke will be the draft, as it has been in the past. . . . having gotten rid of javon walker, he will spend our top ten pick on desean jackson because we need some punch in the return game-- although jackson will never become more than a #3 WR, he'll "justify" the pick by improving our special teams from absolutely wretched to merely pathetic. . . . having spent our lone 1st day selection on a ST contributor, he will then proceed to draft a bunch of projects, tweeners and walking wounded to "improve" the offensive and defensive lines and depth elsewhere. . . . i won't bother to name them, because none of them will ever start a game for the team, or be around past '09-- except for matt forte, who will impress with his 5.3 YPC average before tearing all five of his knee ligaments at once, including one of which medical science was previously unaware. . . .

he will also announce an open competition for the quarterback position in the middle of training camp, and will trade tim crowder for a 4th string WR who fails to make the final cut because "with engelberger around, he wasn't likely to get much playing time anyways". . . . in other words, he will continue to mostly ignore the lines, make questionable at best personnel moves, continue to take chances on players with poor character and significant injury concerns, reach for skill position players with his high draft picks, overspend for aging veterans in free agency, and other trademarks of the shanahan regime. . . .

he will then coach his trainwreck of a team to a 9-7 record, barely missing the playoffs, but producing a late-season surge that takes us out of reach of getting a real blue chip prospect in the '09 draft. . . . followed by the firing of half his coaching staff, and a speech about how disappointed he is that "it just didn't work out for us this year," but he's confident that "we're only a player or two away from making the super bowl next year". . . . pat bowlen will then give him a 3 year contract extension, making him the highest-paid coach in the league. . . .

you heard it here first!

:lol: :laugh:

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm hoping the Bengals don't tag Madieu Williams. He is the type of player the Broncos need. Very good cover safety.

underrated29
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
NOW THAT the scouting reports are out i will do some research and give my thoughts. For the most part i think shanny will do something like this:

1- trade back for either rodgers or another 2nd rdr. (ie. det or green bay may have to throw in williams too.)
2. with 1st rd pick we either take stewart frm det or phillips frm greenbay
3. 2nd rd pick #12 we take wheeler lb
4. 2nd 2nd rd pick we take BPA WR
5. 4th rd we either take RB (if no stewart) or take a cb with KR ability or without looking at rankings we package players and picks to nab a cb with kr in the 3rd-Would comrartie fall that far???
6. if we do trade up our last pick will likey be a 7th and we take drago. If not i havent thought that far out, quentin demps not sure where he falls to but could be an option.

Like i said i have to check the reports on some people then i will give a better idea of what i think.

CoachChaz
02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
We will sign players and draft players this year. Write it down

Broncolingus
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I usually believe teams should always take the best player available...that said, without question, shoring up the defensive line must be priority #1.

Whether it's draft, FA, or a combination of both, that is absolutely a must.

I do agree, however, that the O-line does need work too, and a major concern - along with replacing Lepsis - should be adding SOME type of depth.

I'm not sure Denver can COMPLETELY fix both of those problems THIS year, but hopefully they'll move forward rather than backwards and have something to really build on going into the 09 season.

JMO

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
he'll start by talking john lynch into coming back, since we "can't possibly find a better safety" than this potential hall of famer. . . . he'll also re-sign john engelberger-- i have no idea why! he'll give paymah the 3rd round tender, and package foxworth along with next year's 3rd to move up two spots in the 1st round for a player we could have gotten ten spots lower. . . .he'll finally cut ian fold. . . . he'll pay zach thomas too much money for too many years, and rave about how "lucky" we are to get a player of his caliber. . . . he'll also incurr my wrath by trading our 2nd to detroit for shaun rogers, who will promptly tear a knee ligament in camp and miss the entire season. . . . and he'll bring in pierson prioleau, who will very capably stink up one of our safety positions for the next two-and-a-half years after replacing abdullah mid-season. . . .

on offense. . . . he will "upgrade" our OT position with the immortal todd steussie, who will lend valuable moral support from his cozy spot on IR. . . . and when harris' back goes out in week 7, he'll slide pears over to LT and replace him with some UDFA even mel kiper hasn't heard of yet. . . . a stroke of true genius that no other coach in the league would dare to even contemplate! he will cut javon walker. . . . he'll give nate jackson a contract extension, but fail in his bid to talk steven alexander out of retirement-- to make up for the loss, he'll sign jerramy stevens in free agency. . . . he'll switch chris kuper to ORT to make room for ben hamilton, then switch him back by mid-season for no apparent reason. . . .

but his master stroke will be the draft, as it has been in the past. . . . having gotten rid of javon walker, he will spend our top ten pick on desean jackson because we need some punch in the return game-- although jackson will never become more than a #3 WR, he'll "justify" the pick by improving our special teams from absolutely wretched to merely pathetic. . . . having spent our lone 1st day selection on a ST contributor, he will then proceed to draft a bunch of projects, tweeners and walking wounded to "improve" the offensive and defensive lines and depth elsewhere. . . . i won't bother to name them, because none of them will ever start a game for the team, or be around past '09-- except for matt forte, who will impress with his 5.3 YPC average before tearing all five of his knee ligaments at once, including one of which medical science was previously unaware. . . .

he will also announce an open competition for the quarterback position in the middle of training camp, and will trade tim crowder for a 4th string WR who fails to make the final cut because "with engelberger around, he wasn't likely to get much playing time anyways". . . . in other words, he will continue to mostly ignore the lines, make questionable at best personnel moves, continue to take chances on players with poor character and significant injury concerns, reach for skill position players with his high draft picks, overspend for aging veterans in free agency, and other trademarks of the shanahan regime. . . .

he will then coach his trainwreck of a team to a 9-7 record, barely missing the playoffs, but producing a late-season surge that takes us out of reach of getting a real blue chip prospect in the '09 draft. . . . followed by the firing of half his coaching staff, and a speech about how disappointed he is that "it just didn't work out for us this year," but he's confident that "we're only a player or two away from making the super bowl next year". . . . pat bowlen will then give him a 3 year contract extension, making him the highest-paid coach in the league. . . .

you heard it here first!

too funny...kudos

Lonestar
02-15-2008, 06:22 PM

you heard it here first!

You are posting what 95% of the Bronco fans are worried about.. The other 5% love the guy so much they could care less what he has done to the team since all of the HOF players boogied..

They piss an moan about how he would not give up the GM duties WE ALL KNOW HE DOES and they rather have his FO than him not being here to choke play calling inside the red zone..

The more I think about it I do not think he can win another one without John, TD, Eddie Mac, Rod and all the other solid talent we had before everyone else figured out FA..

OUR first need on this team is a professional GM.. An owner with Balls and Mikey as a Head coach. After that it will probably all fall into place..

Christ I'd take Coach, BOSS, or one or two other of our talent guys over this current scouting/GM group..

dogfish
03-03-2008, 03:03 AM

you heard it here first!

alright, i had to bump this thread to make some slight modifications to my prediction-- and see what i've gotten right so far. . .

talk lynch into coming back - check

re-sign engelberger and nate jackson - check :frusty:

cut walker and gold and get no compensation - check

tender paymah as a 3rd - check

trade foxworth - reportedly tried, hasn't succeeded as of yet

trade for shaun rogers - tried, but failed

sign zach thomas - tried to schedule a visit but got rejected-- i have a feeling he'll "make up for it" by signing dan morgan

sign pierson prioleau and todd steussie (or comparable scrubs) - not yet, but they're both still out there, and it's still early in the free agency process

further updates will be provided as needed as we get closer to draft day-- so far, we're right on schedule. . . .

Stargazer
03-03-2008, 03:30 AM
As of today, 3/3/08, I see Mendenhall. I think he will be the #1 pick.

shank
03-03-2008, 04:24 AM
i see us blowing the draft, probably trading up for guys who don't pan out, and reaching hard for others. we will pass up golden opportunities to get young talented players for amazing bargains at positions of great need. we won't fill all of our needs and will play a season on par or worse than this season.

shanny will proceed to tell pat, "see, it's even worse when we don't do it my way."

then despite saving money this offseason, we manage to let all of our good young players walk as soon as they get the chance, getting minimal or no compensation in exchange. because pat let shanny return to "his way of doing things."

Retired_Member_001
03-03-2008, 05:34 AM
How is this going to play out?

Not well.

I see us as a 5-11, 6-10 team at the moment. It will take massive changes to improve our record. To be honest I'd rather have ANYONE else at GM at the moment. Shanahan is proving he is a completely hopeless GM. I mean now what are we going to do about DT? Draft? What about all the other needs we have? Also young DT's take about 2-3 years to develop which means 3 years more of poor line play if we were to draft one.

Honestly Shanahan if your not going to bother being a GM you might as well quit as a Head Coach. What's the point of being a great head coach if your not going to bring in the players needed to do the job.

I can hear Shanahan's " We're only one or two players away from the Super Bowl" line from the end of next season already.

Retired_Member_001
03-03-2008, 05:37 AM
i see us blowing the draft, probably trading up for guys who don't pan out, and reaching hard for others. we will pass up golden opportunities to get young talented players for amazing bargains at positions of great need. we won't fill all of our needs and will play a season on par or worse than this season.

shanny will proceed to tell pat, "see, it's even worse when we don't do it my way."

then despite saving money this offseason, we manage to let all of our good young players walk as soon as they get the chance, getting minimal or no compensation in exchange. because pat let shanny return to "his way of doing things."

Shanny trades Cutler, Marshall and Champ for the #1 pick. He then drafts a Kicker and with the 12# pick Shanahan drafts a Long Snapper.

shank
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Shanny trades Cutler, Marshall and Champ for the #1 pick. He then drafts a Kicker and with the 12# pick Shanahan drafts a Long Snapper.

next stop on shanahan's reign of terror; mike leach.

i'm waiting for tomorrow's news that tommie harris is traded to the raiders for a high five and a girly giggle.

Retired_Member_001
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
next stop on shanahan's reign of terror; mike leach.

i'm waiting for tomorrow's news that tommie harris is traded to the raiders for a high five and a girly giggle.

Yes and Shanahan had the opportunity to trade for him, however there is no risk involved to boost Shanahan's ego so therefore the trade cannot go through.