PDA

View Full Version : Five things Denver Broncos Needs

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Five things each AFC West team needs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Scouts Inc.

The Chargers won the AFC West going away in 2007, while the the Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders had disappointing seasons. However, all four teams need to improve. Scouts Inc. runs down five glaring needs per team -- because it's never too early to worry about next season.

Denver Broncos

Defensive tackle: Denver finished the 2007 season 30th in the NFL versus the run. Any good run defense has to start up front with DTs who can protect the second level. The Broncos do not have big, physical LBs versus the run. They have athletic LBs who need to be protected and allowed to flow laterally to the football. Last year the Broncos moved DT Gerard Warren and cut Sam Adams and Amon Gordon, while free-agent acquisition Alvin McKinley did not turn into the force they thought he would be. An improved run defense in 2008 must start here.

Offensive tackle: A big part of Denver's success on offense is its ability to be solid up front. Veteran LOT Matt Lepsis has told the team he is going to retire. Erik Pears, who played a lot in the absence of Lepsis the previous season, moved over to the right side as a starter and was not as effective in 2007. Unproven Ryan Harris is expected to start at LOT in 2008 with Pears the starter on the right side. Neither player has enough experience to say they will get it done and the depth at the position is not very good.

Middle linebacker: Former WLB and first-round pick D.J. Williams moved from the weak side into the middle last season and although he led the team in tackles, his explosive plays went down. A lot of his tackles came down field and not at or behind the line of scrimmage as the team hoped. The other reason the team struggled versus the run was because they released MLB Al Wilson last offseason. The loss of Wilson meant a huge void in leadership in the middle of the field. Denver needs to find a legitimate MLB and move Williams back to the weak side where he can be the playmaker he once was.

Safety: Veteran safety John Lynch was nicked up a lot last season and he is clearly at or near the end of his career. Other starter Nick Ferguson is a unrestricted free agent and likely will not be back, unless the price is right. He is also not getting any younger and is suited best as a third safety. Denver does not have any experienced depth at the safety position and need at least one new starter and a second would not hurt. Once again, upgrades at the safety position will help the interior of Denver's run defense because Lynch is not the force he once was in run support.

Wide receiver: No. 1 receiver Javon Walker missed a large portion of last season after having a smaller scale surgery on the knee he had previously needed repaired after tearing his ACL. Brandon Marshall emerged as an up-and-coming No. 1, but after that the WR group becomes thin. Walker may never reach his full potential because of the knee issues and even though Marshall played excellent last season, Denver could use a few more bodies at the position to create better competition amongst the unit.

gobroncsnv
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I think I would reverse the order of the 2 & 3 needs, but it's pretty inarguable that in comparison to everything else, these have to be our top 5. Wouldn't mind seeing a FA AND a draft pick at DT. We need quality here, like 8 seasons ago.

threefolddead
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Lets just stick with the first two repeating...

Hoshdude7
02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
wow there are a lot of needs for this team to compete

Npba900
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Yep! 2008 will be a rebuilding year. 2009 should be the year Denver turns the corner. 2010, Denver should be in SB contention.

WATCH OUT NFL....There a Phoenix Rising.....in Denver.:D

#1bmarshfan
02-15-2008, 03:35 AM
hey lets try and trade are entire team pls are stadium half of are fans for there team then were good to go next year

atwater27
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I completely agree with scouts inc. They have us figured out. I definitely respect their opinion. Every other expert or panel that has listed our needs is dead wrong.

Broncolingus
02-15-2008, 02:14 PM

I agree...as much as I'd like to see a serious playoff push next year, I think 09 is the soonest fans can 'really' expect things to get serious in the post season...

I agree with Scouts take almost to the letter on what Denver needs...

Who knows, maybe we'll catch some breaks (no pun intended) and some of the younger players will mature faster and we'll find a diamond or two in the rough...

Requiem / The Dagda
02-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Here's another need for the Broncos.

RELEASE NATE JACKSON.

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree...as much as I'd like to see a serious playoff push next year, I think 09 is the soonest fans can 'really' expect things to get serious in the post season...

I agree with Scouts take almost to the letter on what Denver needs...

Who knows, maybe we'll catch some breaks (no pun intended) and some of the younger players will mature faster and we'll find a diamond or two in the rough...

Recently, we got two 4th round picks that will more than likely end up being pro bowl players..................Dumervil, IMO, was close to making the pro bowl and Marshall, I feel, will be one of the top three Receivers next season in all of football. .............Hopefully we can find a few more in the 4th round again this year............I'm hoping for Jamie Silva.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Recently, we got two 4th round picks that will more than likely end up being pro bowl players..................Dumervil, IMO, was close to making the pro bowl and Marshall, I feel, will be one of the top three Receivers next season in all of football. .............Hopefully we can find a few more in the 4th round again this year............I'm hoping for Jamie Silva.

WR, Devin Thomas, Michigan St. if he slides that far... i doubt it... but watch out for this kid.

tubby
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
WR, Devin Thomas, Michigan St. if he slides that far... i doubt it... but watch out for this kid.

He is a first day pick for sure.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2008&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=16

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
He is a first day pick for sure.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2008&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=16

They have Early Doucet and Limas Sweed that low?! James Hardy at 10?! Adarius Bowman 11?! Donnie Avery as the #3 guy? lol the funniest is the Florida Gator receiver at 6... will people ever learn?

They can't be experts

tubby
02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
They have Early Doucet and Limas Sweed that low?! James Hardy at 10?! Adarius Bowman 11?! Donnie Avery as the #3 guy? lol the funniest is the Florida Gator receiver at 6... will people ever learn?

They can't be experts

Check out the RB rankings.

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM

They can't be experts

Hardy should be the first Receiver taken.

BOSSHOGG30
02-15-2008, 03:33 PM

DeSean Jackson will probably be the 1st receiver taken. Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed will be in that mix as will Mario Manningham,James Hardy, and Early Doucet.

Thomas is usually ranked on most draft "expert" boards at the #10 to 15 range.

tubby
02-15-2008, 03:35 PM

The guy is a stud. He torched Iowa 3 years in row. However, I'm not so sure he will be that great in the NFL. Kind of a pussee.

HolyDiver
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
DeSean Jackson will probably be the 1st receiver taken. Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed will be in that mix as will Mario Manningham,James Hardy, and Early Doucet.

Thomas is usually ranked on most draft "expert" boards at the #10 to 15 range.

I like Mannigham alot..............I think Doucett will be a bit of a disapointment. .............I like Sweed as well.

Scarface
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't think MLB is a problem as much as I think interior D-Line is a problem. Fix the D-Line and our LB's look better. I wouldn't mind getting DJ some help at LB because the other 2 guys are bums.