PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove a player from the background in a photo?

Tned
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
How do you guys go about cutting a player out of a photo and removing all the background clutter before putting them in banners or sigs?

Benetto
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
How do you guys go about cutting a player out of a photo and removing all the background clutter before putting them in banners or sigs?
psd files allow you to make layers for one picture...For example the pic in my avatar is 4 different layers.

Take a picture of Javon in action for instance...You would use the cut tool to cut Javon from the scene..Then Save the picture as a psd file...Open the picture (banner) you want the cutout to be in. And paste the psd file of Javon to the banner background. Save as JPG.

I use Photoshop CS for my graphics.

MOtorboat
02-13-2008, 07:02 PM

psd files allow you to make layers for one picture...For example the pic in my avatar is 4 different layers.

Take a picture of Javon in action for instance...You would use the cut tool to cut Javon from the scene..Then Save the picture as a psd file...Open the picture (banner) you want the cutout to be in. And paste the psd file of Javon to the banner background. Save as JPG.

I use Photoshop CS for my graphics.

Without sitting at work in front of my actual photoshop, I'm going to try and describe this to you.

Personally, tned (and photoshop is definitely the right program), I like to use the pen tool, because you can shape around curves much better than having to click a million times, and if you click off once with the cut tool, you're SOL, and have to start over again.

Once you've outlined the path around the player, you can change what type of path it is. On my Mac, you go to the Paths toolbar on the right hand side of the screen and change it to the "cutting" path.

Then I go to "inverse" so that all the background is highlighted, instead of the player. I choose a color that is a different color than anything else in the photo, say Green, and hit "delete." That erases the background, and you're left with a solid color. I use the magic background eraser to get rid of that solid color, and photoshop automatically labels that as Layer 0.

You do that to all the elements you want in your file and then make a new document, and all I do is drag and drop from one open document to the other. As long as the document isn't "flattened" then you can change the individual objects, like adding a drop shadow, or putting a bevel/emboss on it, or using something off the artistic pallet.

I hope that made sense, like I said, I'm not actually sitting down with photoshop right now.

slim
02-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know much about this kind of thing...but I would think scissors would do the trick. :elefant:

Stand Ablaze
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
http://rs91.rapidshare.com/files/79676784/bestcutting.wmv

That's a good cutting tutorial for Photoshop, it worked out good for me. I'm still learning how to do perfect ones, but it gets the job done.

Tned
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I am a photoshop novice (that's being kind, really a sub-novice), and I haven't found the time to get a book to figure photoshop (CS2) out.

MOtorboat
02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I am a photoshop novice (that's being kind, really a sub-novice), and I haven't found the time to get a book to figure photoshop (CS2) out.

I'll see if I can't help you out a little more sometime when I'm at work with photoshop tned...