PDA

View Full Version : Who would be the one major free agent you'd sing?

MHCBill
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Some assumptions...

Henry, Walker, Ekuban, and Gold are no longer on the roster.

Only one major free agent will be signed.

So, how would you want and why?

MHCBill
02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Can a mod please change sing to sign?

TIA

claymore
02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Some assumptions...

Henry, Walker, Ekuban, and Gold are no longer on the roster.

Only one major free agent will be signed.

So, how would you want and why?
Henry or Ekuban.

Henry cause he wants to be here, and take less money.

Ekuban, because we need him.

Walker pisses me off. Gold sucks, and even though its not his fault I will always blame him for us not having Stephen Jackson.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Corey Williams. Pretty self-explanatory.

Rex
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Corey Williams. Pretty self-explanatory.

settle down there Dreamer....it was one letter.

Rex
02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
I messed up your poll...I meant to vote for Gross, not Briggs.

claymore
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I messed up your poll...I meant to vote for Gross, not Briggs.

Well I messed up on my original reply, I posted before the poll was up and misunderstood the question. So, 2 wrongs make a right.

turftoad
02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Why do we assume Henry will be gone? Looks like he's going to stay.

Also......... Gross and Allen look to be tagged by thier teams and it now looks like Williams will be too.
Turner is going to break the bank and I believe Henry will be back.

Looks like Walker will be gone, so I'll go with B. Johnson.

MHCBill
02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Turf... play along with my assumptions.

Who would you want if they were all available and those previous Broncos' are gone?

underrated29
02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I would go with williams as his is the biggest need. But jared allen is jsut too good to pass up being paired with moss and doom = awesome!!!

MHCBill
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I went with Allen.

He is a major need also. An every-down DE that will make an impact every game.

I think we can fill the DT through the draft.

BOSSHOGG30
02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Corey Williams but only because the Chiefs will franchise Allen and he won't be available to sign.

Medford Bronco
02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Henry or Ekuban.

Henry cause he wants to be here, and take less money.

Ekuban, because we need him.

Walker pisses me off. Gold sucks, and even though its not his fault I will always blame him for us not having Stephen Jackson.

why is it his fault on Steven Jackson. The Broncos drafted DJ Williams instead of Steven Jackson. :confused:

mclark
02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Why do we assume Henry will be gone? Looks like he's going to stay.

Also......... Gross and Allen look to be tagged by thier teams and it now looks like Williams will be too.
Turner is going to break the bank and I believe Henry will be back.

Looks like Walker will be gone, so I'll go with B. Johnson.

Turner may not break the bank, since the draft is LOADED with good running backs.

Who'd be better: Turner, Clady, Pat Sims/Dre Moore? Jordan Gross, Jonathan Stewart, Pat Sims/Dre Moore? Corey Williams, Clady, Jamaal Charles?

Or Jordan Gross, Clady and Pat Sims/Dre Moore?

I guess I'm going Jordan Gross until they franchise him.

Skinny
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Corey Williams ... he's a soild run defender as well as a guy who can collapse the pocket from the interior of the D-line.

DT is our biggest need IMO ... as is Defense in general. Once we're able to sustain some consistency up front on the D-line it will trickle back to the LBs and Secondary ... therefore solidifying or biggest weakness.

The Offense was very inconsistent. Alot of that had to do with injuries and the many new faces. Better pass protection for Cutler, which puts LT at the forefront, and a WR i beleive are our biggest needs on Offense. Improving these two areas would do wonders for us in sustaining drives a putting up more points. A must for us until the problems on Defense are addressed and fixed ...

:2cents: ...

shank
02-13-2008, 06:56 PM
why is it his fault on Steven Jackson. The Broncos drafted DJ Williams instead of Steven Jackson. :confused:

because despite his injury, he still wanted significantly more money after the season making us unable to resign him. this left a huge hole at linebacker, making it necessary for us to draft DJ instead of jackson.

i'm guessing this is kinda how clay sees it.:flypig::brushteeth:?

slim
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
To me it is a toss-up between Gross and Williams. I voted for Gross because I don't think I could stomach seeing Pears at right tackle again.

Simple Jaded
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
The Broncos won't get anywhere near Gross, Allen and Williams, unfortunately......

SmilinAssasSin27
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Of this list, I voted Briggs. I'd go after Ken Hamlin though.

shank
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
The Broncos won't get anywhere near Gross, Allen and Williams, unfortunately......

do you say this from a cap perspective or do you base this on comments that we need to start building through the draft and recent FA failures?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Build the trenches via draft. Get the Safeties and WR via FA or trades.

Slick
02-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Any chance that Berrian doesn't get resigned by the Bears? I think he'd be an excellent compliment to Marshall.

I saw a lot of Panthers games over the last few seasons, and I wasn't all that impressed with Gross, definitely an upgrade over Pears though. Neither him or Travelle Wharton were good enough to keep Jake Delhomme off of IR.

Drew Carter has wheels. He might be affordable.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
There has been talk of Berrian being franchised...but that's not cheap. Otherwise, I think he leaves.

I like Stallworth, Booker or Bryant Johnson of the current potential options.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Berrian won't be that expensive.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 09:56 AM
berrian won't come cheap... he will be the #1 WR if he becomes available. Some teams will view him as a #1 type receiver too, that is what hurts... no one looks at Bryant Johnson as a #1... so he will be cheap.

Broncolingus
02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Corey Williams ... he's a soild run defender as well as a guy who can collapse the pocket from the interior of the D-line.

DT is our biggest need IMO ... as is Defense in general. Once we're able to sustain some consistency up front on the D-line it will trickle back to the LBs and Secondary ... therefore solidifying or biggest weakness.

The Offense was very inconsistent. Alot of that had to do with injuries and the many new faces. Better pass protection for Cutler, which puts LT at the forefront, and a WR i beleive are our biggest needs on Offense. Improving these two areas would do wonders for us in sustaining drives a putting up more points. A must for us until the problems on Defense are addressed and fixed ...

:2cents: ...

GP...

I'm on the Williams bandwagon...

Looks like a good run-stopper (or at least someone who plug some holes and not get blown back 5-10 yards like a Girl-scout) and someone who can put some heat on the opposing teams QB.

I too agree, and have been saying for years now, a good D-line can/will 'make' your LBs and DBs...

JMO

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
The Cowboys "have every intention" of retaining free agent Ken Hamlin, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The franchise number for safeties is reasonable, so if the sides can't reach a long-term deal, there are other options. Hamlin enjoyed a career best year in 2007. If the Cowboys don't step up, he'd surely have a home in Miami.
Source: Dallas Morning News

The Panthers are expected to place the franchise tag on OT Jordan Gross.

It appears Carolina has found its left tackle for '08. Gross hasn't excelled on that side in the past, but he played very well on the right last season. His skill set says he should at least be adequate on the blind side. Gross would have been the top young tackle on the market.
Source: Gaston Gazette

lex
02-14-2008, 02:04 PM
There has been talk of Berrian being franchised...but that's not cheap. Otherwise, I think he leaves.

I like Stallworth, Booker or Bryant Johnson of the current potential options.

Briggs is the only time theyve ever franchised anyone and the Bears typically havent placed a heavy emphasis on WR. You might be right but the prevailing sentiment around here seems to be that Berrian will walk. If they franchise Berrian, theyd have to pay him the average of the top 5 WRs and its generally believed Chicago's not willing to do that. And especially not with an unsettled situation at QB.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Briggs and the Bears are working on a contract right now... The Bears want to keep him now that Urlacher is having injury problems. It is unlikely that he hits the free agent market.

lex
02-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Briggs and the Bears are working on a contract right now... The Bears want to keep him now that Urlacher is having injury problems. It is unlikely that he hits the free agent market.

I thought we were talking about Berrian. I only mentioned Briggs in reference to the notion of the Bears franchising Berrian.

underrated29
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I JUST DONT THINK BERRIAN IS ALL THAT GOOD. I AGRee that we will not see any of these guy with us next year. Maybe BJ- i wouldnt mind him. Whats up with ROD? is he having that suregery or not. That will really help me figure out what we will do with the draft and FA for wr.

SoCalBronco
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I JUST DONT THINK BERRIAN IS ALL THAT GOOD. I AGRee that we will not see any of these guy with us next year. Maybe BJ- i wouldnt mind him. Whats up with ROD? is he having that suregery or not. That will really help me figure out what we will do with the draft and FA for wr.

Sadly. I don't think We'll see Rod Smith play again. He's no dummy.
Hip Surgery + 37 years old = retirement.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Porter from the Raiders; I'm sure he'd love to screw over his old team. Sure sounded like it on ESPN a minute ago.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Panthers re-signed Travelle Wharton to a six-year contract, according to the Rock Hill Herald.

Wharton could move inside to left guard, but he provides the Panthers flexibility. They are planning to place the franchise tag on RT Jordan Gross if they can't sign him long term, keeping two of the better young tackle options off the market. Wharton is an average starter, but the Carolina line was a bright spot last year.
Source: Rock Hill Herald

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Porter from the Raiders; I'm sure he'd love to screw over his old team. Sure sounded like it on ESPN a minute ago.

Yeah we know we would have a stud WR for at least two games this year.

Skinny
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Panthers re-signed Travelle Wharton to a six-year contract, according to the Rock Hill Herald.

Wharton could move inside to left guard, but he provides the Panthers flexibility. They are planning to place the franchise tag on RT Jordan Gross if they can't sign him long term, keeping two of the better young tackle options off the market. Wharton is an average starter, but the Carolina line was a bright spot last year.
Source: Rock Hill HeraldDamn ...

The pickings are getting awfully small ...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
NFL scrolled a name likely to be available, but I can't remember who the frick it was...DAMN...anyone see the ESPN ticker lately?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Zach Thomas...what do we all think?

IF we are looking to move DJ back outside, this would allow us to draft a "project" MLB to learn behind Zach. Not ideal, but would add some flexibility.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Zach Thomas...what do we all think?

IF we are looking to move DJ back outside, this would allow us to draft a "project" MLB to learn behind Zach. Not ideal, but would add some flexibility.

I bet the Patriots, Saints, and Broncos will all be in contact with him.

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Rumors are that the Broncos are eyeing Lions DT Shaun Rogers

This would help my mock draft as well...we wouldn't need Corey Williams.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
But what would we have to give up in a trade?

Can we send em Pears and Mike Bell???

BOSSHOGG30
02-14-2008, 06:32 PM
But what would we have to give up in a trade?

Can we send em Pears and Mike Bell???

I'm sure they want draft picks... they might like Walker, Foxworth and Ian Gold too though.

SoCalBronco
02-15-2008, 12:16 AM

Source: Rock Hill Herald

There may be little choice at this rate but to use that #12 pick on Clady or try to trade back a little for onre of the other O-Tackles.

Can Y'all in the braintrust think of any reasonable o-linemen that might be had in a trade?

SoCalBronco
02-15-2008, 01:28 AM
I don't think I saw a single Falcons game last year, but Lawyer Milloy appeares to have stayed healthy all year, been productive, and looks to be getting cut along with Brooking.
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/02/14/falcons_0215.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21
Milloy could fill a need if Lynch retires (or is cut).

Scarface
02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Since the Pats are probably going to let Stallworth go I'd love to have him opposite B-Marsh. We could his speed to stretch the defense.

lex
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Since the Pats are probably going to let Stallworth go I'd love to have him opposite B-Marsh. We could his speed to stretch the defense.

Are you certain about that? They already have Welker and Moss (im assuming theyll sign him).

BOSSHOGG30
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Are you certain about that? They already have Welker and Moss (im assuming theyll sign him).

They already reported that they are going to let him go. It frees up a lot of money for the Pats.....Stallworth has a huge contract.

mclark
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Rumors are that the Broncos are eyeing Lions DT Shaun Rogers

This would help my mock draft as well...we wouldn't need Corey Williams.

Aren't the Lions going to cut Shaun Rogers? Give them a 7th round pick for him.

BOSSHOGG30
02-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Aren't the Lions going to cut Shaun Rogers? Give them a 7th round pick for him.

I don't think they will cut him... they know they can get something for him. I read somewhere that they may fine him for being over weight. I guess he needs a lot of motivation to keep his weight down.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Stallworth has over a $6mil bonus due if they keep him...not happening.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM

It all depends on where he went to college...

mclark
02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't think they will cut him... they know they can get something for him. I read somewhere that they may fine him for being over weight. I guess he needs a lot of motivation to keep his weight down.

We should have had him last year next to Sam Adams. We could have instituted our "Rocks of Gibralter" defense with Mr. Bates. (Norman Bates?)

Lancane
02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Names of those most likely to visit Denver and be offered contracts:

Offensive Tackle Sean Locklear from Seattle, Free Safety Ken Hamlin from Dallas, Defensive Tackle Rod Coleman from Atlanta, Wideout Ruvell Martin from Green Bay, Inside Linebacker Zach Thomas from Miami, Outside Linebacker Boss Bailey from Detroit, Outside Linebacker Brandon Chillar from St. Louis, Defensive Lineman Tommy Kelly from Oakland, Free Safety Mike Doss from Minnesota and they will likely meet with Defensive Tackle Shaun Rogers from Detroit and his agent about a trade.

shank
02-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Names of those most likely to visit Denver and be offered contracts:

Offensive Tackle Sean Locklear from Seattle, Free Safety Ken Hamlin from Dallas, Defensive Tackle Rod Coleman from Atlanta, Wideout Ruvell Martin from Green Bay, Inside Linebacker Zach Thomas from Miami, Outside Linebacker Boss Bailey from Detroit, Outside Linebacker Brandon Chillar from St. Louis, Defensive Lineman Tommy Kelly from Oakland, Free Safety Mike Doss from Minnesota and they will likely meet with Defensive Tackle Shaun Rogers from Detroit and his agent about a trade.

where'd you get this list? i don't even know what the source is and it worries me that corey williams isn't even on the list. i'd much rather have him, even as more of an UT than rogers who seems very lazy. (even as lazy as he is, he would still be a huge upgrade to our DTs)