DallasChief
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Is this a possible option?

DallasChief
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Or can we do that already?

turftoad
02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
What the hell are you talking about DC??

Escobar
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM

----

DallasChief
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM

When you can put or "embed" a YouTube video into your post.

Rick
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I will have to look it up but I did use a hack for vbulletin that did this before.

Once installed all you had to do was link and it embeded it.

I will see if I can find it somewhere.

Rick
02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Here is a couple.

I don't remember for sure if either are the ones I used in the past, I don't think they are but both seem to do the same thing, though first link seems like maybe it handles a few more extensions.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150491&highlight=media+embeded

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157062&highlight=media+embeded

BeefStew25
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
This would be a great idea.

BeefStew25
02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
This would be a great idea.

My Madonna Thread would take on a life of its own.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
When you can put or "embed" a YouTube video into your post.

yes. it can be done. i suggested it to the mod. you can bring the player box in active. just point and click. it loads up and plays.

SR
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
It is possible. There are a couple of other vb boards I've been on that this option was available.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
It is possible. There are a couple of other vb boards I've been on that this option was available.

aren't you a mod???? another board I work (political) has it. its really cool to have the entire player up there. and you have the basic set up for it.

Rick
02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is a couple.

I don't remember for sure if either are the ones I used in the past, I don't think they are but both seem to do the same thing, though first link seems like maybe it handles a few more extensions.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150491&highlight=media+embeded

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157062&highlight=media+embeded

It is possible, I have done it before myself, see quote from earlier post.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
It is possible, I have done it before myself, see quote from earlier post.

you must use the PHP tag. back it out like this and add youtube

[toutube][/youtube] now the link ex:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IVkkCVh5t0E

now copy and paste everything after the = sign. and

[toutube]IVkkCVh5t0E[toutube] done. the entire player is up.

Tned
02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
you must use the PHP tag. back it out like this and add youtube

[toutube][/youtube] now the link ex:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IVkkCVh5t0E

now copy and paste everything after the = sign. and

[toutube]IVkkCVh5t0E[toutube] done. the entire player is up.

Ok, I added the code to make this work. However, if people start putting up inappropriate videos, I will disable it.

PupR5V9aE2s

Rick
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I wasn't posting a link to youtube videos I was posting links to where the vb mods are that can be installed on the site to enable the feature.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I4s0nzsU1Wg

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I wasn't posting a link to youtube videos I was posting links to where the vb mods are that can be installed on the site to enable the feature.

'important notice'. can the members click this???? I assume. but hey it works for me. can you get mine to play????? just testing.............

Rick
02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Ya works for me, have to hit I agree though.

The one I used in the past didn't get that box, just works when you hit play, so definitly not the same I used.

Works though.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Ya works for me, have to hit I agree though.

The one I used in the past didn't get that box, just works when you hit play, so definitly not the same I used.

Works though.

just askin' why do we need the important notice box????? we keep the player here.

Rick
02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree, I don't see the need for the box either.

TNed might have had it added in though as just a disclaimer.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:16 PM

great. put it on the tee and lets give it the boot haha

Tned
02-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Yep, I could have added just the embedded player, but since there will be even more difficulty in policing/moderating videos (mods don't have time to watch every video all the way through), I have opted to go with an implementation that requires a person to agree that s/he is watching something hosted elsewhere and won't hold Broncosforums.com liable for the content.

Rick
02-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Fair enough compromise.

I like it better without the box but still works fine with it, so good enough. People still get the player.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Yep, I could have added just the embedded player, but since there will be even more difficulty in policing/moderating videos (mods don't have time to watch every video all the way through), I have opted to go with an implementation that requires a person to agree that s/he is watching something hosted elsewhere and won't hold Broncosforums.com liable for the content.

I understand your concern. but members hyperlink youtube player in all over the board. and you can't monitor those either. whats the diff between hyperlinking and displaying the player??? you could add the important notice in one or all forums. just saying. but you de boss..........

Tned
02-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Fair enough compromise.

I like it better without the box but still works fine with it, so good enough. People still get the player.

As a user, I would prefer the normal embedded player as well.

I understand your concern. but members hyperlink youtube player in all over the board. and you can't monitor those either. whats the diff between hyperlinking and displaying the player??? you could add the important notice in one or all forums. just saying. but you de boss..........

We live in a sue happy country. While technically I should not be held liable for content posted by others, practically it winds up coming down to a jury if someone makes an issue of it.

There is a fairly big difference between a link and a displayed image or embedded video. Even though all of them are hosted elsewhere, when they are embedded in a thread/post they are 'perceived' as being on this site, when they are a link, it is clear the content is on another site.

The disclaimer prevents anyone from saying, "I had no idea I was going to see xxxx"....

Based on how quickly people have abused the Lounge with images that were posted, I cannot go on faith that people will only post appropriate videos, so it needs to be 'view at your own risk'.

Some of these things might seem overly cautious to some, but they aren't the one carrying the risk. If I was on someone else's forum, where they carried all the liability, I would feel the same way as you.

I might remove the warning at some point, after doing some research, but for now since you guys seemed to really want it, this is the only option I am currently comfortable with.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 10:44 PM
As a user, I would prefer the normal embedded player as well.

We live in a sue happy country. While technically I should not be held liable for content posted by others, practically it winds up coming down to a jury if someone makes an issue of it.

There is a fairly big difference between a link and a displayed image or embedded video. Even though all of them are hosted elsewhere, when they are embedded in a thread/post they are 'perceived' as being on this site, when they are a link, it is clear the content is on another site.

The disclaimer prevents anyone from saying, "I had no idea I was going to see xxxx"....

Based on how quickly people have abused the Lounge with images that were posted, I cannot go on faith that people will only post appropriate videos, so it needs to be 'view at your own risk'.

Some of these things might seem overly cautious to some, but they aren't the one carrying the risk. If I was on someone else's forum, where they carried all the liability, I would feel the same way as you.

I might remove the warning at some point, after doing some research, but for now since you guys seemed to really want it, this is the only option I am currently comfortable with.

fair enough. we are ground breaking something new here. its like growing pains. BTY viewers are not allowed to view the xxx rated stuff. you have to be a youtube member to see it. that's their protection.

Tned
02-29-2008, 10:57 PM
fair enough. we are ground breaking something new here. its like growing pains. BTY viewers are not allowed to view the xxx rated stuff. you have to be a youtube member to see it. that's their protection.

That's good to know.

Given a little time (which I may not have for a couple weeks, as I am going out of town on Wednesday), I might change it to a normal embedded link with a warning/disclaimer above or below (or both) the player.

It would not be as strong legally as forcing the user to take an action before even seeing the warning, but if the warning is prominant enough, then the mere act of them hitting play may be enough.

Rick
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Is this only allowing youtube though? The mods I posted and the ones I used in the past allowed different media formats.

So if it allows more than just youtube then technically one could post ANY kind of media file, thus no external protection like youtube has, so good idea to have some here.

But I don't know which mod Tned is using so can't say for sure.

kcvet
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
That's good to know.

Given a little time (which I may not have for a couple weeks, as I am going out of town on Wednesday), I might change it to a normal embedded link with a warning/disclaimer above or below (or both) the player.

It would not be as strong legally as forcing the user to take an action before even seeing the warning, but if the warning is prominant enough, then the mere act of them hitting play may be enough.

have a good trip............

Tned
02-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Is this only allowing youtube though? The mods I posted and the ones I used in the past allowed different media formats.

So if it allows more than just youtube then technically one could post ANY kind of media file, thus no external protection like youtube has, so good idea to have some here.

But I don't know which mod Tned is using so can't say for sure.

At this time, I haven't installed any of the mods that allow multiple video types, but instead added cutsom BB code to enable youtube only. This is done for a couple reasons, not the least of which is security. By implementing the youtube tag with the youtube.com embedded, so that the person only adds the video id, it prevents someone from attempting to embed a video type that could have a malicious script, such as in a flash video.

Rick
02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
It has been a long long time since I have used the embeded video mods, infact been awhile even since i have used my vbulletin, so don't quote me on this.

But I "believe", at least the one i used, that you could designate as an option with the mods which video formats could be accepted, so could designate no flash.

But been awhile so don't remember for sure.

Tned
02-29-2008, 11:53 PM
It has been a long long time since I have used the embeded video mods, infact been awhile even since i have used my vbulletin, so don't quote me on this.

But I "believe", at least the one i used, that you could designate as an option with the mods which video formats could be accepted, so could designate no flash.

But been awhile so don't remember for sure.

One of those two mods only had around 8 downloads, so unless it was just an updated version of a very mature mod, it's out.

The other had a bunch of installs, but is still listed as beta.

When I have time, I will read through the posts, to see what, if any issues, people are having.

Based on what I have read at vbulletin.com, I am careful about adding a bunch of mods. Virtually all cases of hacked vB sites come through these hacks/mods, and they can have a performance impact on the site.

So, I have added some, like the High five system, vbadvanced and a sitemap generator, but I take a very cautious approach with adding these mods/hacks.

I'm not completely opposed to using them, as I have some installed, but I take the time to read through the support threads, then install them on the test server, work on tweaking the settings and try and figure out if they break anything else we have working, then roll them out on the server.

In the case of the current youtube viewer, it isn't an add-on mod, but simply a couple lines of BB code added through the admin control panel, so there isn't the same security or bug/performance issues that can arise with third party hacks.

Retired_Member_001
03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
This is a good idea!

champbronc2
03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I am for it!