PDA

View Full Version : Ian Gold on the trading block!

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Engelberger to stay in Denver? It sounds that way. Contract talks have started to keep him in Denver. Denver is also shopping Gold which really shouldn't be a huge surprise. If Gold doesn't return for 2008 it sounds like Winborn will be the starting WLB.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/12/broncos-sign-wr-hamilton-release-lb-holdman/

frauschieze
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
:elefant: This is my happy dance. Good riddance, Gold!

DallasChief
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Who is going to trade anything for Gold?

HolyDiver
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM

I'm hoping the Chiefs give us a 2nd round pick for him................LOL !!!!!!!!!:salute:

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Carl Peterson wants to give the Broncos Jared Allen for Gold straight up.

Slick
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

I agree. He's scheduled to make 4.9 million next season, I doubt any team wants a piece of that.

MOtorboat
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Got to say DC is right here...stinks of what happened last year with AL Wilson. They put him on the "trading block," and when they realized no one wanted him, he was cut.

DallasChief
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
This thread needs moved to the Fantasy Football forum. Or is there a Madden '09 forum?

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
MUG's going to hate hearing this news, but I sure love hearing it.

I hope we draft a linebacker. Winborn looked okay last year; but let's get a stud.

I might start praying if we actually get rid of Ian!

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I wonder what we could get for Gold though. Aging linebacker, poor play, big salary. . . what team would be a sucker for him?

Tommie Harris for Ian Gold?

I can think in Madden land, can't I?

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey wait, what's Dan Synder doing these days?

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Synder's looking for a wide receiver... he really wants Chad Johnson... so maybe we can throw a Walker and Gold trade over his way?

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the Engelberger talks of re-signing mean that is the good bye to Ekuban... Which is sad because I would rather have Ekuban... unless he isn't recovered from his injury.

topscribe
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I wonder what we could get for Gold though. Aging linebacker, poor play, big salary. . . what team would be a sucker for him?

Ummm . . . Washington, maybe? :heh:

-----

topscribe
02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I think the Engelberger talks of re-signing mean that is the good bye to Ekuban... Which is sad because I would rather have Ekuban... unless he isn't recovered from his injury.

Not necessarily. I can envision the scenario (one of many) of starting Ekuban
at LDE, sending Crowder over to RDE on 1st and 2nd downs, and Engelberger
backing up.

But then, maybe that's why I'm not coaching. :nod:

-----

topscribe
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Synder's looking for a wide receiver... he really wants Chad Johnson... so maybe we can throw a Walker and Gold trade over his way?

A proven elite for an unproven backup? And then throw in Gold?

What are you saying?

-----

Stand Ablaze
02-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Well, not really. Here's a piece from an article on the denverpost that I read last week.

Rosenhaus said Ekuban is completely healthy after suffering a ruptured Achilles in the preseason. "The Broncos want him back and we hope something works out," Rosenhaus said of the Ekuban talks.

turftoad
02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Frigin Rosenhaus talks out of both sides of his mouth.

jrelway
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
get what we can for gold, then be done with him. maybe even package him up with foxworth, mike bell, and walker for some decent picks.

Dreadnought
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I like the Redskins scenario. Snyder is a first class blockhead, and I think we might be able to cheat those guys again.

Watchthemiddle
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Carl Peterson wants to give the Broncos Jared Allen for Gold straight up.

:rofl:

_______

nevcraw
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Got to say DC is right here...stinks of what happened last year with AL Wilson. They put him on the "trading block," and when they realized no one wanted him, he was cut.
What are you talking about? The Giants and the broncos had a trade agreed upon. Wilson for Tuck and a pick..
Wilson failed his physical with the Giants. When it was apparent he had no value and wouldn't be able to play last year then they cut him. Clearly a universe away from "no one wanted him"..

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
What are you talking about? The Giants and the broncos had a trade agreed upon. Wilson for Tuck and a pick..
Wilson failed his physical with the Giants. When it was apparent he had no value and wouldn't be able to play last year then they cut him. Clearly a universe away from "no one wanted him"..

That would of been one hell of a deal if the Broncos could of pulled it off.

Lonestar
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
That would of been one hell of a deal if the Broncos could of pulled it off.

If Al could have pulled it off it would have been a GREAT move..

Watchthemiddle
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM

I remember the trade, but had no idea TUck was involved.

*shrugs*

fcspikeit
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM

Tuck had a great year.. Its to bad AW couldn't pass the physical :tsk:

atwater27
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM

He's a 90 overall in Madden.:D

HORSEPOWER 56
02-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Tommie Harris for Ian Gold?

I can think in Madden land, can't I?

If it wasn't for the big salary, we'd probably have some takers. If he's cut, I'd be willing to bet the Bears take a look at Gold for their cover 2 scheme (to fill the spot of, but in no way replace, Lance Briggs who is as good as gone).

Maybe the Colts, Lions, or even the Chiefs would be interested, but only if we release Gold. Nobody is going to give us anything for him - they'll just wait until he hits the open market.

underrated29
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I bet the bengals would be interested. I know they lost like 7 of them last year, and most will return, but i am sure some will be going to jail this offseason so gold might be in their plans.

BigDaddyBronco
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Maybe we can trade Gold to the Raiders for Warren.

Wouldn't that be nice.

shank
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
from what i remember, we made a play for tuck and the giants said no go. i believe the deal that went through was for a pick and a pick alone.

as far as gold, it should come as no surprise that i'll be a happy camper when he's off the roster. alone i don't see us getting much for him, so i wouldn't mind seeing him packaged, as other moves are sure to be made. if not, then we better get what we can for him, and not just cut him loose.

shank
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
that link says a couple of other things i hadn't seen yet.

al wilson will undergo physical with the lions

warrick holdman released

Kicker Jason Elam, defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban, fullback Cecil Sapp, safety Nick Ferguson and tight ends Nate Jackson and Stephen Alexander are the other possilbe unrestricted FAs this year. I'd like to retain Ebenezer and Jason, and won't be hurt if any of the others walk (well, maybe cecil will hurt just a little bit).

Skinny
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I'll throw Tampa Bay in there because of his previous stint there and Coyer now being on the Coaching Staff.

Just a thought ...

Rick
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Acording to this article it was only going to be for picks for Al.

I would still be happy with any deal for Ian though. He is fast but nothing more.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/189424/broncos_al_wilson_fails_physical_giants.html

Friday afternoon, football sources said a temporary deal between the Denver Broncos and the New York Giants had been struck. The temporary deal was expected to be a trade centered on Bronco's veteran middle linebacker, Al Wilson. The 29-year old was about to be sent to New York for a package of draft picks.

Al Wilson was in New York for a routine physical but late Friday, sources reported to various outlets the deal was off due to the results of the physical. It's believed Wilson failed the test due to an injury stemming from a neck sprain suffered during a December 2006 game versus the Seattle Seahawks.

Other rumors said the Broncos were interested in Giants defensive end/outside linebacker Justin Tuck. Recent reports out of New York say the Giants were never going to send a player back in the deal. The question remains what would they have sent had the deal gone through successfully. New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese let it be known that he was not interested in trading a first day draft pick (the first three rounds are held on day one of the NFL Draft in April).

Wilson may be on the outs in Denver. According to local reports, he was recently asked by the team to take a substantial pay cut. It remains to be seen how this failed physical will affect his tenure with the Broncos. It's possible he will be forced to the take the pay cut or be at risk of being released and trying to find a job in the future when he's healthy.

According to Fox 31 Sports Insider Josina Anderson, Al Wilson was previously going to be traded to the Detroit Lions for corner back Dre Bly. That deal was retracted also, due to a failed physical attributed to Wilson's neck.

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reported on his blog that Justin Tuck and his agent did not believe they were ever being considered of being involved in the trade. Tuck's agent told Vacchiano that any of those reports were false.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd be happy w/ a 6th for Ian...or as a toss in in another trade. Unfortunately that salary will be the kicker. Noone is taking him from us for that much $$.

As far as I'm concerned, they can all leave town...except Elam. Time to start over.

Superchop 7
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm sure a trade would involve a more friendly contract, Gold stands to make more $$ in a trade than if he is released.

Tampa Bay would be a great fit, Gold did well under Coyer, I think he lost faith in the last scheme.

Superchop 7
02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm sure a trade would involve a more friendly contract, Gold stands to make more $$ in a trade than if he is released.

Tampa Bay would be a great fit, Gold did well under Coyer, I think he lost faith in the last scheme.

Could you imagine Gold and Wilson resurrecting their careers in Tampa ?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Tampa took Gold once already...didn't go to well for him.

broncohead
02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
A trade for a late round pick would be nice. Just glad he won't be on the field on our D next year.

Skinny
02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Tampa took Gold once already...didn't go to well for him.He played SAM there ... i never understood that. Other than he was just the best available FA LB on the table at the time. :whoknows:

It was a bad fit ...

Bronco9798
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I like Winborn. I really do. Gold needs to go...

BANJOPICKER1
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Elam better be a Bronco for life,to me he is all thats left of our Superbowl Broncos and I want him to retire a Bronco!!!Dang it!!!!!:tsk:

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I like Winborn. I really do. Gold needs to go...

i like gold. i really do

WARHORSE
02-13-2008, 02:03 AM
If Gold is on the block, it means we're going to go after Briggs.

:coffee:

Im sure Im reading it right.

:coffee:

Yep.

Stargazer
02-13-2008, 05:08 AM

Have a link? I don't EVER recall Wilson possibly being traded for Tuck & a pick.

Stargazer
02-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Engelberger to stay in Denver? It sounds that way. Contract talks have started to keep him in Denver. Denver is also shopping Gold which really shouldn't be a huge surprise. If Gold doesn't return for 2008 it sounds like Winborn will be the starting WLB.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/12/broncos-sign-wr-hamilton-release-lb-holdman/

Gold is on his way out...

Retired_Member_001
02-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Best news I've heard all weak. I doubt we will get much for him, but if we could package him in a deal with Foxy and JWalk, we might get somewhere. As long as we don't have to see Ian Gold in a Broncos jersey next season, I am very very happy.

YoungMoneyMay
02-14-2008, 05:35 AM
I guess Broncos are looking for a late 7th round pick for Gold. Thats about all he will be worth.

broncohead
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I guess Broncos are looking for a late 7th round pick for Gold. Thats about all he will be worth.

What teams are interested? Source?