PDA

View Full Version : Return Not a Distraction for Duo

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2009, 10:20 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9703

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos are playing meaningful football heading into Week 16, with a chance to extend their season on the line.

Now the mantra of "one game at a time" becomes all the more important, as looking ahead or behind could have even harsher consequences than earlier in the season.

For that reason, Correll Buckhalter and Brian Dawkins will approach this weekend's game against the Philadelphia Eagles just like any other, even though they are returning to the city where the two spent a combined 21 seasons to start their careers.

Still, Daniel Graham put it best: "There's a little bit more burn in your stomach when you play your old team."

It will be a reunion of sorts for the two former Eagles, as plenty of their former teammates are still playing in Philadelphia. The game is important for both teams, as the 10-4 Eagles are in a battle for the NFC East crown, adding an extra dimension of tension to the game.

There will certainly be plenty of hugs, handshakes and emotion, and Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid conceded that it will "probably a little weird" before kickoff, but Dawkins is more concerned with what will happen afterwards.

"It is going to be an electric atmosphere, I know that," he said. "It is going to be very hyped. But at the end of the day, once the whistle is blown on that first kickoff, after that the first hit is football."

Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb said he and Dawkins became "best of friends" as the two spent 10 seasons together with the Eagles, and the two have kept in contact this season.

He said he is certainly excited about getting the chance to see his former teammate again at the onset of the game, and he also can't wait to try to get the best of him throughout the afternoon.

"It's no different, really, than you competing against your brother in a friendly game of basketball or if you happen to go to two different schools," McNabb said. "You love each other to death leading up until the week, and then once it comes game time, I'm going to try to go at you. But that's just the competitive nature in all of us, and I think that's the way you have to approach it."

Dawkins said he has no doubt that McNabb "is going to throw the ball my way and see if he can fit it in there" for much of the game, and he looks forward to that opportunity.

Buckhalter admitted he has been looking forward to this game since the offseason, and he is glad to come back from an ankle injury just in time to play. He was listed on the injury report with limited participation in Wednesday's practice due to his ankle, and Head Coach Josh McDaniels said the running back's status is "good."

The running back attempted to answer one of the questions entering the contest -- how the traditionally hostile Philadelphia crowd will welcome the two longtime Eagles.

"I think the fans will probably embrace us pretty well," Buckhalter said. "But at the same time, we play for Denver now and we have a job to do."

That job began today with preparation for the game. Both Buckhalter and Dawkins said they would be willing to share any and all information they have on the Philadelphia offense and defense, and Reid said he knows they certainly have plenty of knowledge on his schemes.

At the same time, the Eagles coach doesn't plan on trying to disguise anything on either side of the ball because the two teams are already so familiar with each other.

"I know Buck and Dawk have seen everything we have, that's what it is, but so have the coaches," Reid said. "Between Josh (McDaniels) and (defensive coordinator) Mike (Nolan), we've played each other so much over the years that Josh knows our defense and Mike knows our offense. I don't think there are a lot of secrets, it's just a matter of getting out and playing football."

And the Broncos can't wait to do just that.

As much as the Buckhalter and Dawkins' return to their former team is a story this week, Dawkins is making sure the team's head is in the right place leading up to Sunday.

"This is not just about me going back home," he said. "This is about the Denver Broncos going into Philadelphia, a tough place to play against a very good football team. So, that is where our focus needs to be."

JONtheBRONCO
12-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Love these two guys Dawkins and Buck. Both solid players and Buck should get the nod this week IMO.

hotcarl
12-23-2009, 11:19 PM
yay!