PDA

View Full Version : Carter doing very well

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Cornerback Carter surprise of Broncos' rookie class
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/23/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Broncos defenders Tony Carter, left, and Wesley Woodyard bring down the Oakland Raiders Gary Russell during the third quarter of play Sunday December 20, 2009 at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Joe Amon | The Denver Post)It was midway through the second quarter of Sunday's game against Oakland, and the phone to the Broncos' public relations staff kept ringing.

Each time the caller — from the CBS television crew and beyond — wanted to know the same thing: Who is that guy in the No. 25 jersey, the cornerback who in that quarter alone knocked down two passes in the end zone?

Each time, the Denver staff member would politely answer that it was Tony Carter, a rookie from Florida State, who was making his NFL debut as the Broncos' nickel cornerback. Carter was signed off the team's practice squad just a day earlier. Against the Raiders, he had two tackles, recovered a fumble and was credited with a pass breakup.

"They pretty
much told me, 'We're throwing you in the fire,' " Carter said. "The vets, it was easy playing around them because they were making sure I was on top of every move."

While Carter's play in his first NFL game was a pleasant surprise, it was yet another reminder of the struggles of another Denver rookie cornerback, Alphonso Smith, the No. 37 overall pick in the April draft. The Broncos liked Smith so much, they traded their 2010 first-round pick to Seattle to get him. But Smith has played sparingly and twice been passed over.

The first time came when the Broncos signed 35-year-old cornerback Ty Law on Nov. 7. Two days later, Law played ahead of Smith against Pittsburgh. Then came Sunday against the Raiders, when the Denver coaches chose Carter to replace Law, who was out with a hamstring injury. When Smith came into the game after Carter exited with muscle cramps, he struggled. He was beaten by Oakland's Chaz Schilens on the 10-yard touchdown reception with 35 seconds left that helped the Raiders win 20-19.

"You've got to make plays to get on the field in this league," Denver defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "The playmakers get on, and when you're on — whether it's to shut the guy down that you're on, or actually get the ball in your hands — in some form or fashion you've got to do the job you're assigned to."

Smith was the third cornerback drafted this year, and one of six taken through two rounds. Four other rookie cornerbacks have at least two interceptions this season, including NFL interception leader Jairus Byrd. Taken by Buffalo five spots behind Smith, Byrd has nine picks.

This is the point of the season when teams are expecting big contributions from their highest draft picks. But the Broncos, who had five picks in the first two rounds, haven't had a breakout rookie star.

Running back Knowshon Moreno, the Broncos' first selection and the No. 12 overall pick, easily leads NFL rookie rushers with 879 yards but has yet to have a 100-yard game. And outside linebacker Robert Ayers, the No. 18 overall pick, has played plenty on defense and special teams but with limited impact. He has yet to record a sack.

Smith might be the most perplexing pick of them all. The Atlantic Coast Conference's career leader in interceptions after four years at Wake Forest, he was all but handed the Broncos' nickel cornerback job. But he hasn't been able to hold it.

"I understand that this is a different experience for all of the rookies," said Denver coach Josh McDaniels, when asked about Smith.

Asked how Smith gets more playing time, Nolan said: "It's just maturity. It's no different than growing up. There are lessons you've got to learn on the field."

Lindsay Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rookie roundup
The Broncos had three picks among the top 40 selections in the 2009 NFL draft. A look at how each compares with the peers at his position:

Knowshon Moreno

Position: Running back. Selection: No. 12 overall, first running back drafted. Stats: 879 yards rushing, most among NFL rookies. But he's averaging 3.9 yards per carry, behind rookies such as Arizona's Chris Wells (4.6), Indianapolis' Donald Brown (4.5) and Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy (4.1).

Robert Ayers

Position: Outside linebacker. Selection: No. 18 overall, fifth outside linebacker-defensive end drafted. Stats: 14 tackles, three quarterback hits, no sacks. This year 35 rookies — from all defensive positions — have at least one sack. Washington's Brian Orakpo, the No. 13 pick, leads with 11 sacks.

Alphonso Smith

Position: Cornerback. Selection: No. 37 overall. Stats: 11 total tackles, including one for a loss, and three pass breakups but no interceptions. This year eight rookie cornerbacks have at least one interception. The league leader, Buffalo's Jairus Byrd, has nine. Byrd was drafted five picks after Smith.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14052805#ixzz0aXBKKXIU

JDL
12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
It's very very frustrating that we made that move up for Smith. It was a bad trade value-wise no matter how things turned out, but even a worse job of player evaluation... not too many DBs make impacts that make you think, damn I'm glad I gave up that future 1st on a team that could easily have won 4 games this year (see our 2-6 record over the last 8 if you need convincing about that.)

I will say that I like McBath and Bruton played well last weekend. I don't think either are stars, but I think one of them should be good for a Renaldo Hill/Chris Hope type safety. That is more than satisfactory for those points in the draft. The 1st 3 rookies and Quinn have underperformed their draft slots so far. (Yes I know KM leads rookie rushers, but as the article mentions no 100yd games, and he only leads rookie rushers because of attempts, not true impact... which you need from the top pick... I personally think he is just burnt out after a tough long season... rookie wall and all.)

As for Carter, he did get a little bit lucky to break up that one pass in the endzone and he is beatable, but he looks like he can by and large stick with a WR and should be a serviceable dime back on the team, as long as he plays special teams well. More than can be said for Smith at this point. Kid has to step it up and start showing some promise. (If nothing else, hopefully Quinn and Smith will teach McDaniels some humility about the drafting process and help him see the Patriots way of trading down and accumulating picks rather than overpaying to move up for unknown prospects... this personnel department - different from the previous 2 good drafts.... has not shown an ability to draft quality over quantity, so they ought to stick to the Patriots method which is basically that quantity of picks. Pittsburgh and Philly do some of the best jobs of picking quality with their picks.

Buff
12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I was high on Josh Bell last year after a couple games too. Let's see how he progresses.

SOCALORADO.
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I was high on Josh Bell last year after a couple games too. Let's see how he progresses.

Alphie or Carter?!?!? Or both!?!?!
I mean, for cryin out loud it was Charlie Frye and Jafatass Russell!! Jeez!! You would think Alphie could make 1 freakin play.

"When Smith came into the game after Carter exited with muscle cramps, he struggled. He was beaten by Oakland's Chaz Schilens on the 10-yard touchdown reception with 35 seconds left that helped the Raiders win 20-19."
**SIGHS**
"Smith was the third cornerback drafted this year, and one of six taken through two rounds. Four other rookie cornerbacks have at least two interceptions this season, including NFL interception leader Jairus Byrd. Taken by Buffalo five spots behind Smith, Byrd has nine picks."
**NODS HEAD IN DUSGUST**

WARHORSE
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
It's very very frustrating that we made that move up for Smith. It was a bad trade value-wise no matter how things turned out, but even a worse job of player evaluation... not too many DBs make impacts that make you think, damn I'm glad I gave up that future 1st on a team that could easily have won 4 games this year (see our 2-6 record over the last 8 if you need convincing about that.)

I will say that I like McBath and Bruton played well last weekend. I don't think either are stars, but I think one of them should be good for a Renaldo Hill/Chris Hope type safety. That is more than satisfactory for those points in the draft. The 1st 3 rookies and Quinn have underperformed their draft slots so far. (Yes I know KM leads rookie rushers, but as the article mentions no 100yd games, and he only leads rookie rushers because of attempts, not true impact... which you need from the top pick... I personally think he is just burnt out after a tough long season... rookie wall and all.)

As for Carter, he did get a little bit lucky to break up that one pass in the endzone and he is beatable, but he looks like he can by and large stick with a WR and should be a serviceable dime back on the team, as long as he plays special teams well. More than can be said for Smith at this point. Kid has to step it up and start showing some promise. (If nothing else, hopefully Quinn and Smith will teach McDaniels some humility about the drafting process and help him see the Patriots way of trading down and accumulating picks rather than overpaying to move up for unknown prospects... this personnel department - different from the previous 2 good drafts.... has not shown an ability to draft quality over quantity, so they ought to stick to the Patriots method which is basically that quantity of picks. Pittsburgh and Philly do some of the best jobs of picking quality with their picks.

In relation to draft position, we did not lose any value. Right now we're slotted around the 22nd selection of next years draft.

We didnt give up too much in order to get the selection we took Smith with.

If Smith ends up being a bust, then hes a bust. But Smith is NOT playing at his position at an outside corner, hes playing consistently in the nickel slot. Thats different than playing the left or right CB position, and simply put, hes not going to unseat either of the players there now.

Playing against slot receivers in the NFL is hard. You dont have the sidelines next to you as a defender, and your opponent has the entire field at their disposal.

Its just different, and no one should expect Smith to excel right away there. Its not like he was a killer CB that everyone passed up.

There is far and away less risk involved selecting in the second round vs the first, and Denvers choice to trade the first rounder was a smart move on all fronts.

1. You get a player with a year experience under their belt vs none.
2. The financial risk is less.
3. You dont have to dish out the money for four first rounders in two years, where the financial risk is greater.
4. You have to pay Orton, Kuper, Dumerville, Marshall, and Scheffler next year, if you choose to keep them.
5. You have to pay the picks you get should someone sign one of these guys away.

There is always the financial end of this game. While Pat will pay to get the players, he wants to be smart about it.

Smith is NOT a bust at this point.

He is not playing his college position, and he has to grow.:coffee:

broncofaninfla
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Very happy for Carter, he was a stud player at FSU.

Disappointed with A Smith to date. Loved him at Wake Forest and was excited he became a Bronco although I wasn't happy with where we selected him. I'm guessing he is still learning what it takes to be a pro. I've read rumors on other forums he likes the night life a lot and has been spotted out past 1:30 am on nights that he had practice the next day...not good.

Lonestar
12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
not all CB are going to make an immediate impact after coming to the bigs..

if this is Joshes only screw up in the draft over the next few years he will be far ahead of most of our past coaches and GM's..

once he gets to that level of mistakes I'll worry about it..

Dean
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
not all CB are going to make an immediate impact after coming to the bigs..

Many never do.

if this is Joshes only screw up in the draft over the next few years he will be far ahead of most of our past coaches and GM's..

As you said IF it's his only screw up.

once he gets to that level of mistakes I'll worry about it..

He has to perform well enough in practice to even get a chance in a game to reach that level of mistakes. First he was beat out by JMFW, then an aging free agent that had only one practice, and now by a practice squad rookie free agent.

There is still time but he appears to be lagging behind the curve.

titan
12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Not happy with Alphonso's performance so far at all, but I'm not giving up on him yet given he's a rookie. He looked good in the Cincy game and it's been downhill ever since. I think he's pressing.

For an interception machine in college I did expect him to have more picks (0) than Tony Scheffler (1) this year.

weazel
12-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I wish I could read that long of an article, but I get bored very easily

BroncoNut
12-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I wish I could read that long of an article, but I get bored very easily

Dude.; Me too. What's up with that? Is it ADD?

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 03:17 PM
The pick made no sense on two fronts:

1) His height

2) Maualuga was on the board.

Lonestar
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM

1) His height

what is wrong with his height, his coach looks up to him..

nolan said ray would not fit into his scheme..

seems your wrong on both fronts..

GEM
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM

I think any scheme could fit a head hunting monster, but hey, what do I know. :lol:

weazel
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM

our entire OL doesnt fit into our coaches scheme, but he sends them out there anyway...

GEM
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
our entire OL doesnt fit into our coaches scheme, but he sends them out there anyway...

I always like hearing the argument that McD doesn't play Shanny guys...:laugh: I then wonder why Clady and Harris are still on the team. Kind of shoots the whole Hillis is a Shanny guy so that is why he won't play him down.

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Stone hands Jordan drops an important pass.

If he isn't in there.....

Hillis catches it and gets a first down.

We beat the Raiders.

Lonestar
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM

1) His height

but you do not draft someone that will be with you for 4-10 years that does not fit..

those OLINE guys that can't hack it will be gone soon.. the scheme will be here for a long time..

Lonestar
12-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I always like hearing the argument that McD doesn't play Shanny guys...:laugh: I then wonder why Clady and Harris are still on the team. Kind of shoots the whole Hillis is a Shanny guy so that is why he won't play him down.

it has to be Hillis made apass at his wife..

you also forgot the mike did not play him either till he had to..

hey maybe it is written in his contract.. can't be played until everyone else is hurt..;)

GEM
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Stone hands Jordan drops an important pass.

If he isn't in there.....

Hillis catches it and gets a first down.

We beat the Raiders.

Completely agree. Just get a laugh when I hear that argument. There are a few "Shanny" guys that McD has no issue playing. There is more to the Hillis thing. Dunno what it could possibly be, but there is obviously something.

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Wait a minute Gem.......when former players state it.....it carries some weight.

Could they be bitter ? sure.

But they are also friends with current players (who can't say much)

When Scheff (sounding disgusted) says he has no clue why they won't play Hillis, you know the players feel the coach is biased and not doing what is in the best interest of the team.

Look at the numbers of Royal and Stokely and Scheff.

Look at the numbers of number 1 trade bait Marshall ? (ulterior motive, plus made his way out of dog house)

Look at how many carries he is giving to Moreno who is clearly "not" the best back.

It's ego, period, if Stokely, Royal, Scheff light it up......everyone praises Shanny's picks.......not Josh's picks.

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
But here is my point:

To me.....it doesn't matter who picked them.......if they made the 53 man roster of the new regime........they are officially "your" guys now.

This is the hurdle that must be overcome, Josh needs to embrace it.

I also feel that the players need to embrace it.

If I were Josh, I would have a heart to heart, clear the air, open a new door.

weazel
12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
but you do not draft someone that will be with you for 4-10 years that does not fit..

those OLINE guys that can't hack it will be gone soon.. the scheme will be here for a long time..

who's to say Nolan is going to be here for 4-10 years... I highly doubt he is here as DC for that long. He will be a head coach again, sometime.

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 05:28 PM
JR is living in the past, the Goodmans were doing excellent.

I used to rip the Broncos too, until the Goodmans came along.

I went from "they suck" to "wow"

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 05:32 PM

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Hillis was the number 1 rated Fullback on scout.com, he would be playing for any team......except this one.

I'm sure if Clady and Harris were position players, they would ride the pine.

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 05:37 PM

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________-

Neither would Orakpo.:lol:

Your right........Smith fit like a glove when he was getting smoked for the TD.

rcsodak
12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
JR is living in the past, the Goodmans were doing excellent.

I used to rip the Broncos too, until the Goodmans came along.

I went from "they suck" to "wow"

Throw enough shit against the wall.......:coffee:

dogfish
12-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Wait a minute Gem.......when former players state it.....it carries some weight.

Could they be bitter ? sure.

But they are also friends with current players (who can't say much)

When Scheff (sounding disgusted) says he has no clue why they won't play Hillis, you know the players feel the coach is biased and not doing what is in the best interest of the team.

Look at the numbers of Royal and Stokely and Scheff.

Look at the numbers of number 1 trade bait Marshall ? (ulterior motive, plus made his way out of dog house)

Look at how many carries he is giving to Moreno who is clearly "not" the best back.

It's ego, period, if Stokely, Royal, Scheff light it up......everyone praises Shanny's picks.......not Josh's picks.

which explains why dumervil's playing and ayers is sitting, and royal starts over gaffney, graham instead of quinn, champ over smith etc etc. . .

:confused:

seriously, you guys just sound silly with this shit. . . i absolutely believe josh has a huge ego, and i have no more idea than anyone else what his problem with hillis is, but this conspiracy theory tinfoil hat shit is lame. . . JMFMCD is a first-time head coach and he's undergoing some very typical growing pains, but he was NOT on the grassy knoll!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I think any scheme could fit a head hunting monster, but hey, what do I know. :lol:

:rolleyes:

pnbronco
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Well put Dog. This whole conspiracy theory is just so lame.

I believe if you are a Head Coach of a NFL I think you kind of have to have a ego. Not a I am king one but a plan that you believe in and be willing to follow that plan till he figure out something else that will work better. That's why he got the job because he had a plan to turn this team around. I remember in pre-season so many of the experts saying if he won 5-6 games he was on the right road to rebuilding this team. Yes 5-6 games from Sport Writers that get paid to write about sports.

My experiences with him have all been really positive and he was just so helpful to me. I have not seen body language in our talks or at camp that said ego to me. From my encounters he has been energetic, kind and determined, which is no different than most of the CEO's or Presidents of Companies that I have met with.

Oh and Cater had one heck of a game, the kid was great. I can't believe he is not getting more recognition from Bronco fans since the kid was on the practice squad earlier in the week. Also Alfred said that Alphonso has real talent but it's taking him time to adjust to the NFL and that's not that unusual.

Dean
12-23-2009, 10:05 PM
. . JMFMCD is a first-time head coach and he's undergoing some very typical growing pains, but he was NOT on the grassy knoll!

You got that right Dog. McKid wasn't born until after the Kennedy assassination.

You seem to have a handle on this situation. Please explain this to me. Why when our goal line, short yardage, and third/fourth down success rate is so low: do we continue with the same player (who has been very unsuccessful) running the same plays?:confused:

hotcarl
12-23-2009, 11:21 PM
You got that right Dog. McKid wasn't born until after the Kennedy assassination.

You seem to have a handle on this situation. Please explain this to me. Why when our goal line, short yardage, and third/fourth down success rate is so low: do we continue with the same player (who has been very unsuccessful) running the same plays?:confused:

"we will do things on offense that have never been seen before" -JMD

*orton throws backwards pass to clady in red zone*

:salute:

rcsodak
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
who's to say Nolan is going to be here for 4-10 years... I highly doubt he is here as DC for that long. He will be a head coach again, sometime.

Because he was such a raving success? :confused:

Dzone
12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Smiths a shorter version of willie middlebrooks. In other words B-U-S-T.

BroncoAV06
12-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Tony Carter played very well Sunday. Came in was all over the field, recovered a fumble. Good opening game for the kid. Could tell that the spotlight did not overwhelm him, seeing his first action came after Bailey had to sit a couple plays.