PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Lynch Cherishes Pro Bowl Experience

Lonestar
02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Could Be His Final Game
By Jaymes Song, AP Sports Writer
KAPOLEI, Hawaii (AP) ― Denver Broncos safety John Lynch went to work out before dawn and discovered a familiar foe in the hotel's fitness center: San Diego Chargers fullback Lorenzo Neal.

Lynch and Neal are 15-year veterans and the oldest AFC players participating in Sunday's Pro Bowl. Lynch is 36 and has been invited to Hawaii nine times. Neal is 37 and is a four-time Pro Bowler.

"Some of the young cats are sleeping in and we're up in the gym working before breakfast," Lynch said. "Only the 15-year guys are in there. I think that says something."

It certainly says a lot about the dedication and hard work it takes to have a long, successful career in the NFL. It may also say something about Lynch's desire to come back for another season.

While most players are in vacation mode, soaking up the sunshine and mai tais, Lynch is working harder than ever.

He wasn't ready to say whether he'll return or retire, but spending a week with the league's top talent will help Lynch make that decision.

"Coming over here, it gives you a good gauge," he said. "Hopefully that provides some insight. But we're just enjoying it right now. When the time is appropriate, we'll make a good decision."

Lynch took his time coming off the football field at Kapolei High School on Wednesday. He joked around with fellow defensive backs, including Broncos teammate Champ Bailey. He exchanged greetings with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and did an interview with the high school's TV crew, which wasn't able to nab Peyton Manning.

He said he has never taken for granted the opportunity to play football. So that's why he's cherishing every moment in Hawaii.

"Knowing that this possibly could be the last, yeah," he said. "Just like I did in my last regular-season game, it was special when I walked off the field. But who knows? We'll see."

His nine Pro Bowls rank second among safeties in NFL history, trailing only Ken Houston's 10 from 1970-79 with the Houston Oilers and Washington Redskins.

Lynch has made it to Hawaii in each of his four seasons in Denver following a standout career in Tampa Bay, where he won a Super Bowl. This year, he was a late addition, replacing an injured Bob Sanders of Indianapolis.

"When your peers let you know they respect the way you play, that's always humbling to me," he said.

Lynch realizes his peers are getting younger every year.

There are 39 players making their Pro Bowl debuts this year, including 25 for the AFC. Many of them were born in the 1980s and some were in grade school when Lynch was a third round-pick in 1993 out of Stanford.

"I tell you what, all the younger guys are extremely respectful. They've conducted themselves well," he said. "You hear 39 first-timers and you say, 'Uh oh. This could be a long week.' But they've been great."

The hard-hitting defender said he loves the game, which is why he's been able to compete for so long.

"We're tireless workers," he said. "We understand, the way you create longevity is work. You never stop working."

And he hasn't. Even if these are his final days in football, he's still working out before practices, which are hardly a workout.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, also making his ninth trip to the Pro Bowl, said Lynch has brought "pure passion" to the game.

"There's one way to play the game and he plays it the right way," Lewis said. "So if he does walk away, you know what? I tip my hat to him because he's one of the greatest players to ever play this game."

topscribe
02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
"There's one way to play the game and he plays it the right way," Lewis said. "So if he does walk away, you know what? I tip my hat to him because he's one of the greatest players to ever play this game."

Wow. That's quite an endorsement, coming from Ray Lewis.

-----

Day1BroncoFan
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Great read. I have a lot of respect for Lynch as a football player.

Skinny
02-11-2008, 11:22 PM
One More Year! ...

pnbronco
02-12-2008, 02:41 AM
That was a great read. The man has certainly earned the respect of his peers.

Stargazer
02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
One More Year! ...

It's time to move on.

jrelway
02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
yes it is. lynch had a good run, but the wear and tear has been showing.

Lonestar
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 02/11/2008 12:21:20 AM MST

Champ Bailey made the sales pitch Sunday during the Pro Bowl.

Shortly after arriving on the island Tuesday, Bailey said he had to figure out how to approach his friend and Broncos secondary mate John Lynch about the safety's future.

"I gave it to him on the field," Bailey said after the NFC's come-from-behind, 42-30 victory over the AFC in the Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium in a warm, early-afternoon game. "He showed he can still play, that's for sure. He was running around making plays.

"There was a few times that I said: 'You still got it. You got to come back.' He was just laughing. Hopefully, I did some good."

If he was swayed by Bailey, Lynch, 36, didn't let on. He continued to play coy on whether he will return for his 16th NFL season. He said before his ninth Pro Bowl that he wanted to see if he enjoyed playing Sunday to help determine his passion.

"It was fun. I really had a great time out there," Lynch said. "No decision yet, but I will be making it soon."

Lynch, who was one of the AFC's five captains Sunday, wants to talk to Broncos coach Mike Shanahan again before making a final decision. Lynch is due to make $3 million this coming season.

Walker talk. Bailey, a friend of Broncos receiver Javon Walker's, said he hasn't talked to him in about three weeks. Walker said Dec. 31 he didn't think he was a good fit for the team. The team is expected to try to trade him or cut him.

"I'd like him to stay," Bailey said. "But everyone is in control of their own careers."

Taylor honored. The NFC lined up without a safety for the first play of the game. The move was to honor slain Washington safety Sean Taylor. He died after being shot in a burglary at his home in November. Taylor was later voted to the Pro Bowl team.

In the Redskins' first game after Taylor's death, the team did the same gesture on the first play. The three Redskins in the Pro Bowl wore his No. 21 jersey Sunday, and they were the three captains for the NFC. About a dozen of Taylor's family members were at Sunday's game. Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis wore Taylor's jersey to the contest.

Hall of Fame honors. The six new Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees, including former Broncos left tackle Gary Zimmerman, were honored before the game. Bailey and Lynch embraced Zimmerman on the field. Bailey also had a long embrace with inductee Darrell Green. The two were teammates with the Redskins.

Footnotes. The Broncos could soon begin the process of making player moves, including the transfer of offensive tackle Matt Lepsis to the retired list and the release of injured linebacker Warrick Holdman. ... Broncos owner Pat Bowlen was in attendance. ... The only players booed during introductions were from the AFC champion New England Patriots.

One would think that Champ is a bit closer to the situation than a bunch of us arm chair GM are. If Champ wants him back because:

"He showed he can still play, that's for sure. He was running around making plays.

"There was a few times that I said: 'You still got it. You got to come back.' He was just laughing. Hopefully, I did some good."

That sounds good enough for me.

jrelway
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
of course champs going to say that, their both good friends and teammates. champ isnt going to tell reporters, yea, lynch is a good player but his time has come, he's too slow and old now.

im no teammate of lynches, or a GM, but i know what my eyes see. he did not have a good year. against the run, yes, he can still hit, but his coverage skills have gone sour, due to his speed. we need young safeties that can fly around the field against the run and pass.

Skinny
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
It's time to move on.Move where??

Cargile
Ferguson
Rogers
Underwood
Vaughn

I would agree with you if he was holding someone back from playing time ... but he's not ...

Lonestar
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
of course champs going to say that, their both good friends and teammates. champ isnt going to tell reporters, yea, lynch is a good player but his time has come, he's too slow and old now.

im no teammate of lynches, or a GM, but i know what my eyes see. he did not have a good year. against the run, yes, he can still hit, but his coverage skills have gone sour, due to his speed. we need young safeties that can fly around the field against the run and pass.

Champ would not comment if he did not feel it to be true. You demean him by making this comment.

Do we need to bring in a someone to learn from him absolutely will he be able to beat John out that is doubtful as we speak.. Playing safety is not just speed it is know how and experience..

jrelway
02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Champ would not comment if he did not feel it to be true. You demean him by making this comment.

Do we need to bring in a someone to learn from him absolutely will he be able to beat John out that is doubtful as we speak.. Playing safety is not just speed it is know how and experience..

i know what john lynch has done for this ball club. i enjoyed every minute of him playing in denver. by no means am i demeaning him. wtf?? but anybody can plainly see hes lost a few steps. of course playing safety is more than just speed, but its a big part no?

mclark
02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I think Lynch could play another year, if we put a good safety next to him, and turned into a wild, aggressive defensive line suddenly.

But I think Lynch will retire. He had another scare this year with an injury to his neck. I think he's probably thinking about living a long life with his family now.

I think he'd make a heck of a coach.

Lonestar
02-13-2008, 12:11 AM
i know what john lynch has done for this ball club. i enjoyed every minute of him playing in denver. by no means am i demeaning him. wtf?? but anybody can plainly see hes lost a few steps. of course playing safety is more than just speed, but its a big part no?

It is part of the game.. But knowing where you are supposed to be and adjusting to be there are 95% of the game..

Reading the keys and being right are the biggest part.. Speed important sure but not as much as being savvy..

Speed can help to over come being dumb but it can not be the end all.

I'd rather have a smart John Lynch than a fast dumb rookie..

Stargazer
02-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Move where??

Cargile
Ferguson
Rogers
Underwood
Vaughn

I would agree with you if he was holding someone back from playing time ... but he's not ...

To move on in building a championship team in the next couple of years. I hope Lynch does retire and end his tenure in Denver. This team needs to continue to build towards a potential future NFL championship team. Lynch is not part of the equation. His time in Denver is done.

Astrass
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
With Ferg an FA now and probably not comming back I think we need to do what we can to keep Lynch for another year. Esp if we draft a S this off season.

nevcraw
02-14-2008, 10:00 PM
It is part of the game.. But knowing where you are supposed to be and adjusting to be there are 95% of the game..

Reading the keys and being right are the biggest part.. Speed important sure but not as much as being savvy..

Speed can help to over come being dumb but it can not be the end all.

I'd rather have a smart John Lynch than a fast dumb rookie..

Exactly..

New England certainly has done just fine w/ a vet Safety and LB's who are deemed "passed thier prime". Couch GM's in their homes have deemed lynch done after watching him in a bad defense while he was hurt..
A healthy Lynch with a scheme that utilizes his assets will be a whole more effective than one that uses a rookie and abdullah... If they play to his strenghts, draft an incumbent and use him corectly the secondary will be effective again.

Stargazer
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Exactly..

New England certainly has done just fine w/ a vet Safety and LB's who are deemed "passed thier prime". Couch GM's in their homes have deemed lynch done after watching him in a bad defense while he was hurt..
A healthy Lynch with a scheme that utilizes his assets will be a whole more effective than one that uses a rookie and abdullah... If they play to his strenghts, draft an incumbent and use him corectly the secondary will be effective again.

There's something going on down in Miami. It's called rebuilding to a potential future. The Broncos, like the Dolphins, are in rebuilding mode. Time to cut the players of yesterday and bring in players for tomorrow. Denver is coming off a losing season and the team is clearly rebuilding. Time to bring in fresh bodies and lay claim to a new potential future identity.