PDA

View Full Version : Broncos signed WR Derrick Hamilton!

BOSSHOGG30
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Broncos signed WR Derrick Hamilton, formerly of the Falcons.

Hamilton looks the part at 6'4/203, but has been a bust since going in the third round to San Francisco in 2004. He's just another offseason body.

topscribe
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I think maybe what the Broncos are looking at are his circumstances. I have
done a little research on him, and he immediately encountered some injury
problems upon coming into the league . . . a death knoll for a rookie.

Elsewhere, I read in a couple places the opinions that Hamilton was subjected
to some poor coaching with the 49ers, which they said retarded his
development.

He seems pretty skinny, his height estimated at 6-4 to 6-5 and weight
somewhere between 196 and 207 (hope it's the latter). The one place I found
that lists his speed was encouraging: 4.42.

I hope they can realize his upside here. Can you imagine opposing CBs trying
to cope with two 6-4 receivers?

-----

claymore
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Geez, can he play safety? Just kidding. I like the Big WR's. Plus if he gets the ball alot Marshall wont have as much room to wiggle come negotiation time.

Skinny
02-11-2008, 07:26 PM
He should have stayed at Clemson another year when he decided to leave early. He got some bad advice from someone ... probably his wallet.

Too bad there was nobody to get him the ball in San Fran many moons ago or he mighta stuck around on their roster ...

claymore
02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
If he is fast and can catch the ball, I welcome him.

claymore
02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I think he might be of VY's mental capacity or worse. Im guesing he runs poor routes.

Position: WR/RS
Number: 88
College: Clemson
Height: 6-2¼
Weight: 204
Alternate Position: N/AAge: 26
Date of Birth: 1981-11-30
Birth City: Dillon, SC
Acquired: 2004-3rd Round
Drafted: 2004
By: San Francisco
Round: 3rd
Selection: #77
40 Time: 4.54 (combine, official)
Wonderlic Score: 12

topscribe
02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I think he might be of VY's mental capacity or worse. Im guesing he runs poor routes.

Position: WR/RS
Number: 88
College: Clemson
Height: 6-2¼
Weight: 204
Alternate Position: N/AAge: 26
Date of Birth: 1981-11-30
Birth City: Dillon, SC
Acquired: 2004-3rd Round
Drafted: 2004
By: San Francisco
Round: 3rd
Selection: #77
40 Time: 4.54 (combine, official)
Wonderlic Score: 12

That's strange. I guess I misunderstood, but I thought I read that he didn't run the 40 for the Combine.

-----

claymore
02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
That's strange. I guess I misunderstood, but I thought I read that he didn't run the 40 for the Combine.

-----

I got that off an old Niners post, and I thought they drafted them. But, if its true, a 4.54 doesnt turn me off as long as he has good hands, and runs good routes.

I am more concerned with his intelligence and route running.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Camp fodder.

You want a real mismatch? Draft James Hardy, he's legit.

JONtheBRONCO
02-11-2008, 07:49 PM
cut

topscribe
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I got that off an old Niners post, and I thought they drafted them. But, if its true, a 4.54 doesnt turn me off as long as he has good hands, and runs good routes.

I am more concerned with his intelligence and route running.

As I understand, the 49ers drafted Hamilton in the third round in 2004.

Some were high on him at the time. However, one analyst wondered if they
weren't just high. Period. Chances are, since he has been through two teams
already, that analyst may be right in his implication. Here's hoping the player
is a late bloomer.

------

BeefStew25
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
An underschieveing Darius Watts. If that makes sense.

claymore
02-11-2008, 08:01 PM
As I understand, the 49ers drafted Hamilton in the third round in 2004.

Some were high on him at the time. However, one analyst wondered if they
weren't just high. Period. Chances are, since he has been through two teams
already, that analyst may be right in his implication. Here's hoping the player
is a late bloomer.

------Well he has been threw some WR non friendly systems to say the least. Hopefully he is a late bloomer/budding talent that matches our system.

Anyone have a read on his run blocking?

Rick
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Article on a site about him getting cut from Niners.

Seems he had flashes but wasn't mature enough and was a bit injury prone.

http://sfo.scout.com/2/555771.html

See you later, Derrick Hamilton. We hardly knew ye. No, we really mean that. We hardly knew you at all. In his 2+ years with the team, Hamilton was one of the most invisible San Francisco 49ers in recent memory, and not just because he only made it onto the field for a few irrelevant minutes of the two games he played in the two worthless seasons he was employed by the franchise.

Nobody really knew Hamilton, who was released by the 49ers on Thursday with an injury settlement, an event that was sure to happen at some point this month as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow.

As writers who covered the team could tell you, Hamilton was a king of empty answers and had nothing to say during interviews in his early months and first training camp with the team. So people stopped asking questions until there was a reason to talk to the young receiver.

The thing is, that reason never really came, until some brief shining moments during the spring of 2005, when Hamilton’s long frame and slashing speed caught the eye of the new sheriff in town, Mike Nolan and Co., and Hamilton was given a legitimate opportunity to be the No. 3 receiver on a team significantly void of quality wideouts.

It made one think at the time that, yes, the 49ers might get something at receiver after all from that 2004 draft in which GM Terry Donahue burned two of his four picks in the opening three rounds on wide receivers, since at the time it already was becoming more than just a possibility that Rashaun Woods was going to be a first-round wash and the team was going to get nothing out of him, more less what you’d hope for from a precious No. 1 pick.

But Hamilton, the team’s third-rounder in 2004, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a May 15th organized team activity last year. That’s a serious injury, and a serious blow to Hamilton ever amounting to anything with the 49ers, since he showed absolutely nothing but perhaps future promise during his rookie season with the team, where he got on the field for fewer plays than digits you have on your hands and feet.

Hamilton missed the 2005 season with his injury, and since then the 49ers have made some serious upgrades at wide receiver, bringing in free agents Antonio Bryant and Bryan Gilmore, drafting Wisconsin product Brandon Williams in the third round, and also spending the No. 6 overall pick of the draft on Vernon Davis and getting a potential sixth-round steal in Delanie Walker, both young tight ends who will cut significantly into the number of passes San Francisco wide receivers will see this season.

Still, Hamilton had a chance to make the team, maybe even a legitimate chance if he could prove he’s better than Gilmore, Williams or Marcus Maxwell this summer. And the Nolan regime gave Hamilton every chance to do that in 2006 by cautiously holding him out of workouts this spring, giving his knee a full year to heal and making sure he was as healthy as could be when training camp practices began July 28.

Hamilton rewarded the 49ers for their caution with a true clown act, participating in a charity basketball game the day after San Francisco’s spring organized team activities concluded - remember, the practices he was held out of because of his knee - and not just playing, but also showing off his dunking prowess, which has been known to put a little stress on your knees.

Hamilton did it in public. And as such, the word was sure to leak back to the 49ers, not to mention cynical reporters.

It was a clueless move, to be sure, but not necessarily out of line with what some suspected of Hamilton’s brainpower. When you’re a third-round draft pick who has done zero in the NFL and are coming off a significant knee injury, and you just missed practice the day before because of your knee, it’s probably a good idea to wait before dunking in public. If you’re thick enough to consider doing it at all.

But so the heck what? Hamilton didn’t re-injure the knee playing basketball this summer, in public or otherwise. If he came to training camp and - finally unleashed from restrictions - began showing with regularity some of those brief flashes that came oh so sparingly earlier in his career, then all would be forgotten, or at least shoved to the side of the memory bank. Hamilton would have a chance to stick at receiver, and perhaps even contribute, just like everybody else.

But during the very first summer session of practice in helmets and shorts, Hamilton suffered a left hamstring injury. It didn’t necessarily seem serious at first, and that perception was reinforced a few days later when Hamilton was noticed strolling off the field smiling and laughing with teammates. But it was serious enough for Nolan to rule Hamilton out indefinitely after the 49ers got into pads a few days later.

That was the end of Hamilton’s career with the 49ers, right there. Before many more days passed, you didn’t have to be Einstein to realize Hamilton was going to be thrown overboard the minute he passed a physical.

But that’s how gone Hamilton actually was. The 49ers couldn’t even wait until he passed that physical. They’re paying him to leave, rather than keep him around and keep alive the prospect that they might be paying his full salary again in 2006 while Hamilton has another full season to practice his dunking while vacationing on the team’s injured reserve list.

Nolan had a classic response Thursday when - after announcing that “We placed Derrick Hamilton on waivers today. I waived him injured. He is no longer on our squad” - the coach was asked what his thoughts were on Hamilton not meeting his potential with the 49ers.

Nolan may not have realized it, but he summed up Hamilton’s time as a 49er as if he had been bunking with Hamilton since the day he arrived as a rookie.

“When I first saw him, I did think he had talent and he did some good things,” Nolan said. “All of a sudden, he popped his hamstring and I never saw him since. I didn’t really get the opportunity to know him all that well. He just showed flashes. It’s unfortunate. Anytime your first-day (draft) picks aren’t on the squad, that’s a disappointment and it’s just sorry that it’s that way.”

Sorry is right. And we can’t think of a better word to sum up Hamilton’s career with the 49ers, which ended without the wasted third-rounder ever catching a pass for the team.

topscribe
02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Well he has been threw some WR non friendly systems to say the least. Hopefully he is a late bloomer/budding talent that matches our system.

Anyone have a read on his run blocking?

I read something about his being an adequate blocker, or something like that.

-----

claymore
02-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Hopefully he is our Hixon!

Day1BroncoFan
02-11-2008, 08:42 PM

This is not encouraging.

BigSarge87
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
You would think Shanny saw some kind of potential in him or they wouldn't have signed him, but that's just not the case anymore. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to his off season additions. They just don't make sense, like drawing names out of a hat or something.

Stargazer
02-12-2008, 03:08 AM
You would think Shanny saw some kind of potential in him or they wouldn't have signed him, but that's just not the case anymore. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to his off season additions. They just don't make sense, like drawing names out of a hat or something.

Why not sign him? It's not like he's going to cost Denver a ton of bucks. You take a gamble, and maybe he will pay off.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 10:09 AM
It's not even a gamble on this guy, it's just a dumb move. If Denver does draft a receiver or pick up a decent free agent (Bryant Johnson) they'd be retarded.

Davii
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
It's not even a gamble on this guy, it's just a dumb move. If Denver does draft a receiver or pick up a decent free agent (Bryant Johnson) they'd be retarded.

When did you become a GM? Just curious. I'm sure the Bronco's do what they do for a reason, sometimes they might seem dumb to those of us that aren't on the inside. It's pretty silly to call bringing in a prospect WR "retarded" when our former #1 is probably on the way out the door.

besides, if he doesn't make the team, what did the Bronco's lose? Not much, if anything at all.

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
It's not dumb... it gives the Broncos another big target WR to practice with during the off-season. Even if it is another off-season boy, it is very important. It will be similar to the David Terrell experiment... won't cost us much, but you never know... it may pay off big and then again it may not... no big deal if it doesn't.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
When did you become a GM? Just curious. I'm sure the Bronco's do what they do for a reason, sometimes they might seem dumb to those of us that aren't on the inside. It's pretty silly to call bringing in a prospect WR "retarded" when our former #1 is probably on the way out the door.

besides, if he doesn't make the team, what did the Bronco's lose? Not much, if anything at all.

I'm sick and tired of Denver cutting it short and addressing their needs with second hand goods and cast-off's rather than doing the intelligent thing and build through the draft to gain a solid based for performance in the future.

Denver's his fifth team in three years; and in that time in the NFL since being drafted in 2004; he hasn't even registered a catch.

Sounds like quality pick-up to me.

Nothing to lose?

Nothing to gain either.

BJ Johnson, Triandos Luke, Derrick Hamilton!

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
It's not dumb... it gives the Broncos another big target WR to practice with during the off-season. Even if it is another off-season boy, it is very important. It will be similar to the David Terrell experiment... won't cost us much, but you never know... it may pay off big and then again it may not... no big deal if it doesn't.

Pardon me for not getting excited about a guy who hasn't caught a pass in the NFL since being drafted in 2004. Want a big target receiver that's actually worth a damn and can contribute? James Hardy. Could be available at #42.

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Pardon me for not getting excited about a guy who hasn't caught a pass in the NFL since being drafted in 2004. Want a big target receiver that's actually worth a damn and can contribute? James Hardy. Could be available at #42.

Bro... you don't have to get excited about it... but you don't have to down the guy just because he isn't a name to get all giddy about.... You are saying this move is stupid... well, it isn't... It didn't cost us anything and the kid had potential coming out of college... at the very least he will be a good practice guy during the off-season. James Hardy is a very good receiver... everyone knows that... I'm sure everyone would love him in Denver... but we didn't draft the guy yet, so until that happens, how about you welcome the new Bronco instead of downing the guy and talking about a guy who isn't even available till late April.

roomemp
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM

This is not Madden dude

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Bro... you don't have to get excited about it... but you don't have to down the guy just because he isn't a name to get all giddy about.... You are saying this move is stupid... well, it isn't... It didn't cost us anything and the kid had potential coming out of college... at the very least he will be a good practice guy during the off-season. James Hardy is a very good receiver... everyone knows that... I'm sure everyone would love him in Denver... but we didn't draft the guy yet, so until that happens, how about you welcome the new Bronco instead of downing the guy and talking about a guy who isn't even available till late April.

If downing on him is pointing out the fact that he's had numerous injuries since coming to the NFL; and after being on four teams - hasn't registered a catch in three full seasons - I guess I'm guilty of being a downer. I just don't understand why we're talking about "potential" and "realizing this guy's upside" when he hasn't even caught a ball in the NFL.

It's not like Hamilton had a decent rookie year, got injured and just drifted from team to team. He's been injured and has never even contributed on the field for an NFL team. He's a bust. A third round (early) pick in 2004 and has never caught a pass in the NFL.

That's about as bad as you get.

When I talk about Hardy, I'm just making the point that instead of picking up duds, why not go after studs who have long term potential?

It doesn't even have to be a guy like Hardy.

All I'm asking is for Denver to just look at some long term options who have longevity here. Is that too much to ask?

We went through the same BS at the DL for half a decade, and they finally put a priority on it. With Marshall being a budding star and Javon on his way out and virtually no quality depth behind him; I'd hope they'd be looking to find him a legitimate partner. Shanahan has already stated that Stokley is much more effective in his limited role and isn't a #2. So who will our #2 be?

Probably a top pick or a free agent, because this guy Hamilton certainly isn't it.

BOSSHOGG30
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
If downing on him is pointing out the fact that he's had numerous injuries since coming to the NFL; and after being on four teams - hasn't registered a catch in three full seasons - I guess I'm guilty of being a downer. I just don't understand why we're talking about "potential" and "realizing this guy's upside" when he hasn't even caught a ball in the NFL.

It's not like Hamilton had a decent rookie year, got injured and just drifted from team to team. He's been injured and has never even contributed on the field for an NFL team. He's a bust. A third round (early) pick in 2004 and has never caught a pass in the NFL.

When I talk about Hardy, I'm just making the point that instead of picking up duds, why not go after studs who have long term potential?

All I'm asking is for Denver to just look at some long term options who have longevity here. Is that too much to ask?

We went through the same BS at the DL for half a decade, and they finally put a priority on it. With Marshall being a budding star and Javon on his way out and virtually no quality depth behind him; I'd hope they'd be looking to find him a legitimate partner. Shanahan has already stated that Stokley is much more effective in his limited role and isn't a #2. So who will our #2 be?

Probably a top pick or a free agent, because this guy Hamilton certainly isn't it.

I don't think the Broncos are looking for Hamilton to come in here and be the guy... he is a practice guy.... if anything else should come about from him it would be icing on the cake..... that is all... You are looking to much into this. I don't think any one here is really expecting much from the guy and neither are the Broncos.

roomemp
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Were you mad when we picked up Rod Smith as an undrafted free agent? I would assume so because he wasn't a "high profile" guy

Rick
02-12-2008, 10:59 AM
no reason to be down on him. No one I don't think is suggesting he is coming in to be a star or even a starter.

Can always use depth though.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Were you mad when we picked up Rod Smith as an undrafted free agent? I would assume so because he wasn't a "high profile" guy

I was seven years old when Denver picked up Smith. I was probably too busy learning how to dress myself and play four-square to care about their off-season acquisitions.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think the Broncos are looking for Hamilton to come in here and be the guy... he is a practice guy.... if anything else should come about from him it would be icing on the cake..... that is all... You are looking to much into this. I don't think any one here is really expecting much from the guy and neither are the Broncos.

Maybe I am, but seeing signings like this makes me cringe.

topscribe
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Rod Smith is one reason why I believe it behooves the Broncos to at least
take a good look at the likes of Hamilton.

I didn't know who Rod was when the Broncos picked him up. I don't think
many did. However, I learned who he was as he got onto the field, and I
wanted him gone! Most of us remember Darius Watts; well, the two had a lot
on common in one way: dropped passes. Rod seemed to have stone hands.

Well, we know how that story ended up. Rod was somewhat of a late bloomer,
but when he did bloom . . . :nod:

The Broncos seem to do a good job developing receivers. The 49ers do not
seem so good at that . . . or at least they didn't. Before they throw
Hamilton back under the bus, from whence he came, I would like to see how
he does in Denver's system.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't necessarily agree with Denver being good at developing receivers; I think the list of busts lines up around the block; whereas the development of quality receivers on this team (Rod, Eddy, Brandon) only lines up a little past the ticket booth, IMHO.

topscribe
02-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't necessarily agree with Denver being good at developing receivers; I think the list of busts lines up around the block; whereas the development of quality receivers on this team (Rod, Eddy, Brandon) only lines up a little past the ticket booth, IMHO.

It seems that's the nature of the position. It seems a revolving door almost
anywhere.

I still would like to see how Hamilton does in Denver's system. With his height
and "slashing speed" (according to a couple analyses I've read, anyway), if he
pulls a McCaffrey and does what he couldn't in SF, the Broncos will have scored.
Otherwise, they didn't invest much, did they?

-----

turftoad
02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Maybe I am, but seeing signings like this makes me cringe.

I believe he's a training camp guy. How many time through camp are WR injured and can't take the field?
We'll have 3 maybe 4 QB's in camp, they have to have someone to throw the ball to.

jrelway
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
lets see how he competes..he did have some sorry qb's throwing to him in a sorry offense. worse comes to worse, throw him on special teams.

underrated29
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Let me put it this way. I already like him more then glen martinez. I have nothing against glen, its just that he is another warm body to me. Same with this guy except he is tall.

What this all tells me is that

1. we are going to be trading javon (dam!)

2. I really think we are going to be drafting a wr with kr skills in the 2nd rd.

topscribe
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Let me put it this way. I already like him more then glen martinez. I have nothing against glen, its just that he is another warm body to me. Same with this guy except he is tall.

What this all tells me is that

1. we are going to be trading javon (dam!)

2. I really think we are going to be drafting a wr with kr skills in the 2nd rd.

Well, I would hope they don't think they're going to replace Walker with Hamilton. :ahhhhh:

-----

turftoad
02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
When we release Walker we need to bring in a proven vet. This puts us very thin at WR. Marshall is fine, Stokley is nothing more than a great slot guy.We don't have much after that. Even if we draft a rook chances are he won't produce in the first year maybe two.
B. Johnson would be my target if I were making the decisions.

underrated29
02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I doubt they'd do that. What did we get for asshley. a 3rd? I think shanny could pull off a walker/bell trade for a 2nd. And use that pick to get a wr/kr TO replace walker.

underrated29
02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
When we release Walker we need to bring in a proven vet. This puts us very thin at WR. Marshall is fine, Stokley is nothing more than a great slot guy.We don't have much after that. Even if we draft a rook chances are he won't produce in the first year maybe two.
B. Johnson would be my target if I were making the decisions.

we arent going to release him. we would take the cap hit and not have him on our team. If we were to do that we might as well keep him around just incase the knee is good. IMO

Watchthemiddle
02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks like another Lelie.

If he can catch the long ball without falling over his shoe laces, I say keep him.

:coffee:

turftoad
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
we arent going to release him. we would take the cap hit and not have him on our team. If we were to do that we might as well keep him around just incase the knee is good. IMO

950 The Fan: Broncos expected to release Javon Walker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They said Adam Schefter is reporting the Broncos are expected to release WR Javon Walker before March 1st.

Boss Posted this on another thread this morning. Schefter ussually has pretty good insight.

Watchthemiddle
02-12-2008, 12:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They said Adam Schefter is reporting the Broncos are expected to release WR Javon Walker before March 1st.

Boss Posted this on another thread this morning. Schefter ussually has pretty good insight.

Is there some kind of difference by releasing him befor March 1st?

How come we don't do a draft day deal like we did when we got hime?

underrated29
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
OH SNAP!!

I try to listen to the fan every morning too.

Man thats going to be a stupid move on their part, please dont do it guys. It is going to be a real stupid move to release him

Hoshdude7
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
It sounds to me like he just does not care and is not putting forth any effort.

shank
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM

sorry, but your name is absurdly, ridiculously... dare i say? awesome.

don't let walker walk, it's far too literal!!!!

broncosfanscott
02-14-2008, 12:49 AM

I really hope not, however as you said Schefter is pretty good at reporting. I honestly hope he is wrong on this one and things are worked out.

If this is true then we need a veteran to replace him........and one that is a solid WR.

lex
02-14-2008, 01:26 AM

You dont know BigWangInYoThang do you?

Stargazer
02-15-2008, 02:52 AM

I actually don't see the correlation between Rod Smith and this guy.

Hamilton was drafted by Frisco in 2004 and has bounced around the league since.

By Rod Smith's fourth season, he caught 86 balls for 1222 yards and 6 TD's. Whereas Hamilton, hasn't caught 1 single pass in an NFL regular season game.

Like I said, why not gamble in bringing in the guy. It certainly doesn't hurt Denver by bringing him in and seeing what he can do.

EddyMac87
02-18-2008, 03:41 AM
We will see, but like people said he does not cost us very much and with the right coaching who knows. I wish we would not have cut Dominik Hixon though.:tsk: