PDA

View Full Version : Broncos couldn't stop their own old blocking scheme

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14045441

When they rolled the game film of Sunday's 20-19 loss to the Oakland Raiders, the Broncos may have thought they were watching a practice tape of yesteryear.

Turns out, the Broncos got beat at their own zone-blocking running game.

There used to be a time when no NFL team ran the zone-blocking scheme like the Broncos. Then a few years ago, Raiders boss Al Davis stole the concept. The Raiders even took some of the Broncos' blocking castoffs — Cooper Carlisle, Cornell Green and Erik Pears.

In Sunday's game, the Raiders picked up 160 of their 241 yards rushing on just seven carries. That's a 22.9-yard average on seven carries and a 3.0-yard average on the other 27 rushes.

Zone block this way. The running back cuts back that way. And the Broncos' backside defenders weren't there to help.

"There was a common theme in that they happened on the cutback, all but two of them," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "It has to do with responsibility to stay home. They can get you flowing fast with their style of running game, and they have a complementary play that cuts back."

So that's why.

That gadget, throwback pass to left tackle Ryan Clady? Turns out it was supposed to be a lateral. The Broncos were penalized for an illegal forward pass to an offensive lineman. Clady didn't report to the official that he was an eligible receiver, which would have been required to make the pass play legal. But he didn't have to report on a lateral.

Kyle Orton's pass did go forward, and Clady caught it — and was tackled for a 3-yard loss by cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. Clady and Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said the play worked in practice.

Blame game.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he did second-guess some of his play calls Sunday.

"I think you always look at it and say: 'What could I have done different? Is there a different call that I could've made?' " McDaniels said.

Perhaps the two most curious call sequences were a second-and-4 quarterback sneak from the Raiders' 7-yard line in the first quarter and a pass play on third-and-19 with 3:46 remaining. The sneak gained a yard, which was followed by another run on third-and-3 from the Raiders' 6. Field goal.

On the third-and-19 play late in the fourth quarter, the Broncos were trying to protect a six-point lead, and the Raiders had burned their second and third timeouts on the previous two plays. Instead of calling for a running play that would have ticked 40 seconds off the clock, an incomplete pass stopped it, essentially giving the Raiders a fourth timeout.

Oakland wound up scoring with 35 seconds remaining, rallying for the victory.

Footnotes.

After missing Sunday's game because of an ankle injury, running back Correll Buckhalter said he will play this weekend against Philadelphia, his former team. Free safety Renaldo Hill, whose presence was missed on those cutback runs against the Raiders, will be a bit more questionable to play because of his ankle injury. "I am hopeful on both," McDaniels said. . . . As it stands, the Broncos have a top 10 pick in the April draft. The Broncos acquired the Bears' 2010 first-round pick through the Orton-Jay Cutler trade. With a 5-9 mark, the Bears are in a four-way tie for the NFL's seventh-worst record. They finish at home against Minnesota and on the road at Detroit.

Bronco Bible
12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14045441

When they rolled the game film of Sunday's 20-19 loss to the Oakland Raiders, the Broncos may have thought they were watching a practice tape of yesteryear.

Turns out, the Broncos got beat at their own zone-blocking running game.

There used to be a time when no NFL team ran the zone-blocking scheme like the Broncos. Then a few years ago, Raiders boss Al Davis stole the concept. The Raiders even took some of the Broncos' blocking castoffs — Cooper Carlisle, Cornell Green and Erik Pears.

In Sunday's game, the Raiders picked up 160 of their 241 yards rushing on just seven carries. That's a 22.9-yard average on seven carries and a 3.0-yard average on the other 27 rushes.

Zone block this way. The running back cuts back that way. And the Broncos' backside defenders weren't there to help.

"There was a common theme in that they happened on the cutback, all but two of them," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "It has to do with responsibility to stay home. They can get you flowing fast with their style of running game, and they have a complementary play that cuts back."

So that's why.

That gadget, throwback pass to left tackle Ryan Clady? Turns out it was supposed to be a lateral. The Broncos were penalized for an illegal forward pass to an offensive lineman. Clady didn't report to the official that he was an eligible receiver, which would have been required to make the pass play legal. But he didn't have to report on a lateral.

Kyle Orton's pass did go forward, and Clady caught it — and was tackled for a 3-yard loss by cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. Clady and Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said the play worked in practice.

Blame game.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he did second-guess some of his play calls Sunday.

"I think you always look at it and say: 'What could I have done different? Is there a different call that I could've made?' " McDaniels said.

Perhaps the two most curious call sequences were a second-and-4 quarterback sneak from the Raiders' 7-yard line in the first quarter and a pass play on third-and-19 with 3:46 remaining. The sneak gained a yard, which was followed by another run on third-and-3 from the Raiders' 6. Field goal.

On the third-and-19 play late in the fourth quarter, the Broncos were trying to protect a six-point lead, and the Raiders had burned their second and third timeouts on the previous two plays. Instead of calling for a running play that would have ticked 40 seconds off the clock, an incomplete pass stopped it, essentially giving the Raiders a fourth timeout.

Oakland wound up scoring with 35 seconds remaining, rallying for the victory.

Footnotes.

After missing Sunday's game because of an ankle injury, running back Correll Buckhalter said he will play this weekend against Philadelphia, his former team. Free safety Renaldo Hill, whose presence was missed on those cutback runs against the Raiders, will be a bit more questionable to play because of his ankle injury. "I am hopeful on both," McDaniels said. . . . As it stands, the Broncos have a top 10 pick in the April draft. The Broncos acquired the Bears' 2010 first-round pick through the Orton-Jay Cutler trade. With a 5-9 mark, the Bears are in a four-way tie for the NFL's seventh-worst record. They finish at home against Minnesota and on the road at Detroit.

Detroit needs to ramp it up a bit....but you figure they will have at least 2picks..

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
So now that McD admits he questioned his own play-calling...is he still a loser?

Or just a rookie head coach?

Ravage!!!
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
How on EARTH did I miss a pass-play to clady?? We passed the ball to CLady? Hillis can't get in the game, Royal isn't used... but we PASS the ball to Clady??? I must have gone to the restroom on this.... how did I miss this? We passed the ball to Clady?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
So now that McD admits he questioned his own play-calling...is he still a loser?

Before in losses, he has mentioned things about coaching. Last night on sports, Vic Lombardi stated that people need to realize that this is the Coach's first year running the entire show, and he is making rookie mistakes - which should be understandable.

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Before in losses, he has mentioned things about coaching. Last night on sports, Vic Lombardi stated that people need to realize that this is the Coach's first year running the entire show, and he is making rookie mistakes - which should be understandable.

Not here Carol. McDaniels should be perfect and Moreno should play like a 5 year vet. Anything less is simply not acceptable

GEM
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
How on EARTH did I miss a pass-play to clady?? We passed the ball to CLady? Hillis can't get in the game, Royal isn't used... but we PASS the ball to Clady??? I must have gone to the restroom on this.... how did I miss this? We passed the ball to Clady?

Yep.....defender took out his knees, we got about a 1-2 yd loss on the play and we were lucky that Clady didn't tear a ligament. :shrugs: And we got a penalty on the play because Clady didn't declare himself eligible to the ref.

pnbronco
12-22-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm going with the Rookie too Carol.

From everything I've seen it's a darn big show to run.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Not here Carol. McDaniels should be perfect and Moreno should play like a 5 year vet. Anything less is simply not acceptable

I hear ya - almost a totally new coaching staff, 35 new players, a new offensive and defensive scheme - CRAP - WE SHOULD BE UNDEFEATED AT THIS POINT

Ravage!!!
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Yet... we SURE were giving McDaniels ALllllll the praise when things were going welll. Now, when things aren't going well, we can't put criticisms on him because he's a rookie coach. Sounds like he has it made.

pnbronco
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Actually I think of it as in spite of the fact he is a Rookie Coach he's done a darn good job. Esp given the totally chaos that was around this team from OTA's through camp. On the other hand he is still a Rookie and mistakes are going to be made, heck even as a vet he will make mistakes.

I choose to look at Coaches and Players as human beings, it is their job to be a coach or a player in the NFL. On any given day I will usually make a few mistakes on any job that I do, I try to learn from them and make my product better. So I do the same thing with other people in theirs, but that just me.

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Yet... we SURE were giving McDaniels ALllllll the praise when things were going welll. Now, when things aren't going well, we can't put criticisms on him because he's a rookie coach. Sounds like he has it made.

Questioning his play-calling is one thing. He's a rookie HC and I can totally see where the questions come from. Even HE said he could have made some better calls.

But the people that want to put the poor play by the o-line, the rookie mistakes by the RB, the lackluster effort by a mediocre QB, etc, etc...completely on the coaches head and call him a waste.

That's just supid

claymore
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM

He isnt a rookie play caller though.

claymore
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM

What does McCoy do?

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM

I agree completely...but let's not pretend he has Tom Brady, Randy Moss and Wes Welker in this offense either. marshall is a stud, but going from 3 All-Pro options to one...that's a bit of a downgrade. is it an excuse? No...but which trio would you be more comfortable with?

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
What does McCoy do?

Holds a title...collects a paycheck

claymore
12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree completely...but let's not pretend he has Tom Brady, Randy Moss and Wes Welker in this offense either. marshall is a stud, but going from 3 All-Pro options to one...that's a bit of a downgrade. is it an excuse? No...but which trio would you be more comfortable with?

I would say a good QB would rival the Welker Moss points, or come close. But I agree with you.

So.... Having said that, how good is JMCD really?

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I would say a good QB would rival the Welker Moss points, or come close. But I agree with you.

So.... Having said that, how good is JMCD really?

Well...in reality...every coach is only as good as the talent around them. Billick was an offensive guru and won with a defensive team. Dungy was a defensive guru and won with an offensive team. In reality...I dont have too many complaints with McD. Considering the talent he has ad the changes made, I think he's done a pretty decent job. Is there room for improvement? of course and those improvements are what excite me. Where will this team be when we have the talent in place? That's why I say this off-season is extremely important. If he spends FA money and draft picks on WR's...I'll be pissed, but if he improves the lines, gets more DB depth for the future and maybe finds a more lucrative future QB...then I thing things can start to shape up for the next few years

Superchop 7
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Josh has some very good weapons.

Probably as loaded on that side of the ball as I have seen, especially at WR.

So, if he can't get it done with these guys.......

Reality is......we have lost 6 of the last 8.

The locker room is becoming divided.

The New England coaches seem to have an ego the size of the universe.

The front office is definately missing the Goodmans touch.

This isn't a rookie mistake.

It is a philosophy mistake.

It is a credibility problem.

CrazyHorse
12-22-2009, 12:50 PM

That's no excuse. Jim Caldwell's team is 14-0.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Some things to think about - I am sure that Coach does call most of the offensive plays, however unlike previous years in NE, rather than just standing on the sideline, concentrating on offense, you know that he is now concentrating on every phase of the game.

Also, when we went 6 - 0, we were NOT in the playoff picture as we are now. Back then - Coach McD's play calling was more innovative - i.e. "Wild Horses", etc. And now, it appears that he has gone very conservative. Therefore, unlike in previous years in NE, I am sure Coach McD is definitely feeling the "playoff picture pressure", where he did not have that TOTAL pressure on him in NE to make the playoffs - BB did.

rationalfan
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Yep.....defender took out his knees, we got about a 1-2 yd loss on the play and we were lucky that Clady didn't tear a ligament. :shrugs: And we got a penalty on the play because Clady didn't declare himself eligible to the ref.

actually, marshall didn't line up in the correct spot. forgotten from the debacle of sunday was that marshall had two key penalties early in the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Come on - Jim Caldwell is NOT new to the Colts - he has been on the staff there for SEVEN YEARS - he is NOT new to the players, he is NOT running a completely new offensive scheme, with an ENTIRELY new defensive scheme - YOUR COMPARISON IS NOT GOING TO FLY.

Northman
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Northman
12-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I choose to look at Coaches and Players as human beings, it is their job to be a coach or a player in the NFL. On any given day I will usually make a few mistakes on any job that I do, I try to learn from them and make my product better. So I do the same thing with other people in theirs, but that just me.

Well, the rookie coach for Indy is human too. I think the general point is despite the fact that McD is a rookie he has made some questionable calls including putting one of our lineman at serious risk. Mistakes happen, but when you've come in pumping your chest and getting into pissing matches with players who were here the year before you have to be ready for the criticisms that come with it. Most of the people ive seen have given McDaniels credit for what he has been able to accomplish so far this year however some people believe he doesnt deserve and criticism and will continue to make excuses. Its a give and take when it comes to humanity and the imperfections that come with it. Just because someone is new at something doesnt exclude them from criticism. I started a new job this year as well and that hasnt stopped my bosses from telling when im doing something wrong.

Lonestar
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
kind of refreshing IMO that a coach can actually take some of the blame for bad plays on the field..

have not heard that in years..

GEM
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Gimme a break.....Caldwell has the best QB the sport has ever seen. Not even a freaking comparison. Don't kid yourself.

GEM
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
actually, marshall didn't line up in the correct spot. forgotten from the debacle of sunday was that marshall had two key penalties early in the game.

Ya know, I was going to edit that. I knew they called it initially that it was Clady didn't declare eligible, then the guys on the tv were talking about Marshall. I wasn't positive which they actually called the penalty on.

UnderArmour
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Come on - Jim Caldwell is NOT new to the Colts - he has been on the staff there for SEVEN YEARS - he is NOT new to the players, he is NOT running a completely new offensive scheme, with an ENTIRELY new defensive scheme - YOUR COMPARISON IS NOT GOING TO FLY.

But we have a better Quarterback than the Colts! That's no excuse!!11

Medford Bronco
12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Gimme a break.....Caldwell has the best QB the sport has ever seen. Not even a freaking comparison. Don't kid yourself.

I might say Joe Montana but point well taken GEM

Biz1
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM

I respect coaches who are honest when most snowball the media with vague excuses. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the old wrinkles from early in the season should be implemented again.

To All:

Most Bronco fans had little expectations going into the season after the "so-called" idiot experts had you at sub .500. Many fans were calling for McD's head last Spring. Everyone was happy and McD was the most popular guy in Colorado at 6-0. He'll mature, as will the team. I still think the Broncos have enough talent on offense to succeed. If(and it's a big IF)you get past Pittsburgh(tough scheduling on that one)anything can happen.

red98
12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Ya know, I was going to edit that. I knew they called it initially that it was Clady didn't declare eligible, then the guys on the tv were talking about Marshall. I wasn't positive which they actually called the penalty on.

The penalty was on Clady for illegal touch of a forward pass. Marshall was not lined up wrong.

The play, according to McD, was supposed to be a lateral.

GEM
12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
The penalty was on Clady for illegal touch of a forward pass. Marshall was not lined up wrong.

The play, according to McD, was supposed to be a lateral.

Which takes me to another aggravating thing on Sunday...the commentators were absolute friggen baffoons.

red98
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Which takes me to another aggravating thing on Sunday...the commentators were absolute friggen baffoons.

OMG they were horrible!

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM

I agree - maybe they were interns :D

GEM
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM

They showed them before the show and asked my dad who the heck they were. He named the one guy and I said...so who is he? He says, "Some guy that played for the Bills and I don't know who the other guy is." Right then I said....so we got the bottom of the barrel and listening to this is going to suck. He said....Yep.

:laugh: They didn't disappoint.

Northman
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Tasker was the man at Buffalo though. But, they will let anyone do commentary now.

GEM
12-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Eddie Mac is pretty good a commentary on KOA. Maybe he should go for a deal. At least on home field, we shouldn't have commentators that hate the Broncos...it's getting really old.

Medford Bronco
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Eddie Mac is pretty good a commentary on KOA. Maybe he should go for a deal. At least on home field, we shouldn't have commentators that hate the Broncos...it's getting really old.

You mean like the chooches Merril Hodge and that other moron on NFL Net. (Jamie Dukes?)

spikerman
12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
I understand that it's McD's first year and there will be bumps along the way. One area where I don't give him a free pass is "the changes made during the offseason" and that's because he was the person behind most of those changes.

spikerman
12-22-2009, 06:13 PM

Marshall had no effect on the penalty. Unless Clady reported as eligible it was a penalty. Unless he declares himself as a receiver he is ineligible by number. Numbers 50-79 are ineligible unless they declare.

spikerman
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Tasker didn't seem to know a whole lot about the rules.

red98
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Marshall had no effect on the penalty. Unless Clady reported as eligible it was a penalty. Unless he declares himself as a receiver he is ineligible by number. Numbers 50-79 are ineligible unless they declare.

You don't have to report as eligible to recieve a lateral. They play was supposed to be a lateral but it didn't work out.

spikerman
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
You don't have to report as eligible to recieve a lateral. They play was supposed to be a lateral but it didn't work out.

That's correct. I was addressing the fact that since it was a forward pass, Marshall's alignment made no difference.

It was a stupid play either way.

Dean
12-22-2009, 07:52 PM
kind of refreshing IMO that a coach can actually take some of the blame for bad plays on the field..

have not heard that in years..

Didn't you proof read your posts back then, JR?

:confused:

Lonestar
12-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Didn't you proof read your posts back then, JR?

:confused:

yep used to all the time.. now after 50 some odd thousand post I might have made a mistake.. but do not ever recall another coach taking blame for making mistakes in game calling..

perhaps they have, but if they did it must be the mad cow..:rolleyes:

spikerman
12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I thought I remembered Shanahan taking the blame from time to time. Here's proof that he did it.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever been more embarrassed,” Shanahan said. “I don’t think our players have ever been more embarrassed, to put on that type of show. It starts with me. I did a poor job getting them ready.”

From http://www.gazette.com/sports/broncos-28208-chargers-yard.html

I'm sure it happened more often than that. Personally, I don't think McDaniels has any less of an ego than Shanahan.

Lonestar
12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I stand corrected.. mike humble himself at least once..

but then I rarely read the Colorado springs Gazette.. so missing it was to be expected.. maybe they forgot to deliver it that day.. maybe the kid next door or his dog ate it..:laugh:

pnbronco
12-22-2009, 08:19 PM

I was looking at my pictures from Sunday's game and noticed that Marshall had Henry on his jersey at least on the warm-up. Did he wear that jersey during the game? Thanks...was not sure where to post the question and didn't want to go through the game thread.

spikerman
12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
I was looking at my pictures from Sunday's game and noticed that Marshall had Henry on his jersey at least on the warm-up. Did he wear that jersey during the game? Thanks...was not sure where to post the question and didn't want to go through the game thread.

They showed it during the warmups on tv, but it was just a name tape over his name. He didn't wear it during the game.

CrazyHorse
12-22-2009, 11:01 PM

You people take me too seriously sometimes!:laugh: