PDA

View Full Version : IF the season ended today (LONGEST list of What Ifs yet, updated through week 15)

RunYouOver
12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Long, Long post...don't expect most to read it all, look through and find what interests you. Enjoy.

Let’s be clear on a few things…that loss really, really hurt us, however, we got VERY lucky in the fact that almost all other contending teams lost last week. We’re certainly still alive, but in a much worse position that we could’ve been. Had we beaten Oakland, we would’ve all but clinched (probably 1 loss away by 1 or 2 teams). But that’s in the past, and Weeks 16 and 17 are upcoming, so here’s EVERYTHING. If you want to know about a scenario not seen here, just let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

If the season ended TODAY (After Week 15):
AFC:
1. Indy (14-0, clinched everything)
2. San Diego (11-3, clinched AFC West)
3. New England (9-5, first in the AFC East)
4. Cincinnati (9-5, first in the AFC North)
5. Baltimore (8-6, higher seeded WC team)
6. Denver (8-6, lower seeded WC team).

In the hunt (yikes):
7.Jacksonville(7-7)
8. Miami (7-7)
9. NYJ (7-7)
10.Pittsburgh (7-7)
11. Tennessee (7-7)
12. Houston (7-7)

Explanations:

--I’ve never seen a more messy playoff picture this late in the season in my life
--San Diego clinches a first round bye with a win or New England loss
--Strength of victory puts New England over Cincy
--Baltimore beat us head-to-head, so they are the 5 seed, we’re the 6 seed.
--2 wins and we’re in

NFC:
1. New Orleans (13-1)
2. Minnesota (11-3)
3. Philly (10-4)
4. Arizona (9-5)
5. Green Bay (9-5)
6. Dallas (9-5)

In the hunt:
7. New York (7-6)

Post season match ups:
--Indy, San Diego, New Orleans and Minnesota have first round byes.
--DEN @ NE, BAL @ CIN, DAL @ PHI, GB @ ARI
--If we won, we would play Indianapolis in round two…something I actually would not mind, in fact, I’d prefer it over SD.

Remaining Schedules:
DEN: @ PHI, vs. KC
BAL: @ PIT, @OAK
JAC: @ NE, @CLE
MIA: vs HOU, vs PIT
NYJ: @ IND, vs CIN
PIT: vs BAL, @MIA
TEN: vs SD, @ SEA
HOU: @MIA, vs NE

--Philly will be tough, but I don’t think this team will fall to the Chiefs at home after what just happened

--Baltimore and Pittsburgh play each other, Miami and Pittsburgh play each other, Houston and Miami play each other, so at LEAST 2 of those teams will finish 8-8

--Looking at this: The Jets have the hardest schedule, as the Colts will still try to be undefeated in Week 16 and the Bengals are presumably playing for the third seed, unless they decide they’d rather be the fourth, but I doubt that will be the case since they can’t predict who will be the fifth

--After the Jets, the Steelers have the hardest path, followed by Houston, Miami, Tennessee

--The Jaguars and Broncos have the second and third easiest in my opinion, and the Ravens have the “easiest” although they do play the Raiders. The Raiders could, however, determine they hate us just enough to not try to beat Baltimore and give them a spot…unlikely, but definitely possible

--The Philly game was pushed back to 4:15, which will help us since it’s on the road. Those early east coast games are always more difficult for west coast teams, so we lucked out there. Still gonna be one hell of a challenging game though, the Eagles are playing very, very well right now.

--The way I see it: Baltimore 9-7, Pittsburgh 9-7, Denver 9-7, Jacksonville 8-8, Miami 8-8, Tennessee 8-8, Jets 7-9, Houston 7-9

--Now to the what-ifs….these are organized by Baltimore. All of Baltimore winning is first, then Baltimore splitting, then Baltimore losing out.
What if scenarios:

If Denver wins out and BAL wins out:

We will be the 6th seed, as Baltimore beat us head to head

If Denver wins out and BAL loses one game:

We will be the fifth seed, the sixth would depend on everything else…regardless, if we win out, we are in the playoffs

If Denver loses to PHI and beats KC
--Houston and Tennessee are eliminated because of their conference record
AND BAL wins out, Jax splits, MIA splits, NYJ splits, PIT splits

--Alright, this is predictable scenario #1. Baltimore winning out regardless of anything else happening assures them the #5 seed. Here, all of the other contenders would split and finish 8-8, while we would be 9-7. RESULT: SIXTH SEED

AND BAL wins out, JAX wins out, MIA wins out, NYJ wins out,

Much less predictable here, but I’m following the order, so Baltimore is guaranteed the #5 seed at 10-6, and the tiebreaker would be between us, Jax and Mia after the Jets are eliminated through divisional tiebreaker (2-4 record to MIA’s 4-2). No sweeps apply here, but conference record goes to Jacksonville at 8-4 and they’d be the #6 seed.

AND BAL wins outs, MIA wins OUT, NYJ Win out

Eliminated Jacksonville who would finish at 8-8…It comes down to Miami and us, as BAL is the #5 seed. Jets are eliminated through division tiebreaker, and so between Denver and Miami: I elaborated on this in a later scenario, since I did this out of order, but common opponents are tied, and strength of victory is VERY close…too close to call now, it’ll depend on the teams we beat finish up. If it ended right now though, we would win…barely.

Result = Too close to call, as of now, the #6 seed

AND Bal wins out, NYJ win out:
Eliminated all non 9-7 teams which just leaves us and the Jets…and common opponents, which I broke down in a later scenario, favor the Jets, so they would get the #6 seed.

AND BAL splits, JAX splits, MIA splits, NYJ splits, PIT wins out

--This one isn’t as fun for us, although I am not 100% sure on the end ruling. Of the remaining contenders Jacksonville, Miami and the Jets are 8-8, while Baltimore, Pittsburgh and us are all 9-7. There’s two ways to interpret the tie breaker, and I don’t work for the NFL and can’t give you the correct interpretation. It says in the tiebreaking procedures to “apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.”.

Now, does this mean you eliminate the second divisional player only for the first seed and they’re eligible for the second, or does it mean you eliminate the second divisional team and it comes down to the remaining teams for both spots.
If it’s the first, Baltimore and PIT get the two spots. If it’s the second, Baltimore is the five seed and we are the sixth seed.

AND BAL splits, JAX splits, MIA wins out, NYJ splits, PIT splits

--Eliminate Jacksonville, the Jets and Pittsburgh

This one is pretty fun actually…Baltimore’s head to head tiebreaker with us is gone in this scenario, because they didn’t also beat Miami. We would all be 7-5 in conference, which is the next step. So the next step is common games…which teams did all three teams play (there must be 4)? Pittsburgh, New England, Indy and San Diego, so yes, this step will work. Assuming the Baltimore split means that they lost to Pittsburgh and beat Oakland…the records are as follows. Denver 2-3, Baltimore 2-3 and Miami 2-3. Wow! Now it all comes down to strength of victory…pretty crazy. Here’s how that plays out assuming the Chiefs lose out, Cleveland loses out, Oakland splits and Houston loses out…which are all most likely to happen. All others teams thrown in are going to be judged by their current record, hopefully there’s enough of a difference that it won’t have to go into further detail. Records are accurate within 2 games…lots of numbers…
Denver’s is 60-72, Baltimore’s is 48-88, Miami’s is 57-75….if the Giants win tonight ours would be 61-72.

So while this may be a game or two off, it DOES look like based off this scenario, we would be the #5 seed. Don’t fret though, even if Miami beat us out, our SOV is still better than Baltimore, and it does not revert back to the beginning, this step would be the deciding factor. So Baltimore would miss the playoffs in this situation. We want this. Baltimore, Denver and Miami tied….RESULT = PLAYOFFS, but close.

Yes, these go on and on….
AND BAL Splits, PIT wins out, JAX wins out, Miami and the Jets split

Eliminate the Jets and Dolphins at 8-8….it goes down to a 4 way tiebreaker, and PIT is eliminated first because of the divisional record. Whether this means for the #5 and #6 seeds or just the #5, I’m not sure. But for the #5 seed it’d be between Baltimore, Jacksonville and us. In this scenario, Jacksonville has the better conference record at 8-4, and only because Baltimore and Denver would be TIED here, it reverts back to step 1 (with Pittsburgh? I don’t know…to be honest, I don’t think so, I think they’d be eliminated). Since we were tied and it reverts back to step 1…Baltimore beat us head to head, so they’d be the #6 seed.

RESULT= NO PLAYOFFS

AND BAL Splits, PIT wins out JAX wins out, MIAMI wins out, Jets Win out

Why not get a little complicated, right? A 6 way tie at 9-7 is not going to be fun for me to figure out, but let’s go for it. First things first, goodbye Pittsburgh because they lose the divisional race to Baltimore (because of Division record, in case anyone was curious). Secondly, goodbye NYJ as they lose the division race to Miami. So that takes care of 1/3 of those teams. Baltimore, Denver, Jacksonville and Miami are left. Jacksonville would have the best conference record and get the 5 seed, and then it comes down to Denver Baltimore and Miami again…based off my projections, Baltimore is clearly out and it comes down to us vs. Miami. It really is too close to call though, as of right now, we’d have the edge, but all that means is ROOT FOR ALL THE TEAMS THAT WE BEAT.

Result = TOO SOON TO TELL, but as of now, 6th seed.

AND BAL SPLITS, PIT wins out, JAX wins out, Miami Splits, Jets win out
Sticking with the complicated stuff, rule Miami out here and Keep 5 teams in at 9-7. Eliminate the Steelers because of the division, and give Jacksonville #5 because of the conference record. Comes down to common games first between us three teams…there are enough common games: Cincy, Indy, Oakland and New England.
Denver was 3-2 in these games, while Baltimore was 1-5 and the Jets, unfortunately, were 4-1. They would get the 6th spot…I know, the Jets making it over us would be absolutely terrible, but they’d have to earn it beating two great teams in 2 weeks.

Result = NO PLAYOFFS

That covers the Baltimore splitting scenarios….

AND BAL loses out, PIT wins out, Jax Wins out, Miami wins out, Jets win out

Baltimore will be eliminated in all these scenarios, except for the ones where all of these guys lose out, except PIT splits, so we won’t worry about that yet. But in this scenario Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Miami and the Jets are all tied with us at 9-7. Eliminate the Jets through the divisional tiebreaker. Then wish the Steelers a good night with their conference record, While Jacksonville gets the #5 spot through conference record. Miami and Denver would again duke it out through SOV, which is anyone’s game.

Result= Too soon to tell

And BAL loses out, PIT wins out, Jax wins out, Miami Splits, Jets win out

Here it comes down to common opponents between us and the Jets, as Jacksonville gets the #5 seed, and the Jets have us beat through common opponents, so they would get the #6 seed

AND BAL loses out, PIT wins out, Jax Wins out, Miami and the Jets split

Jacksonville is the #5, we’re the #6 as Pitt is eliminated through conference record.

AND BAL loses out, PIT wins out, all the rest split:

We would be #6, Pit #5 because of our head to head loss.

AND BAL loses out, all of them split:

We’re the #5 seed, who cares after that…

NOTE:

--The Texans and Titans can both make the playoffs, however, neither team would make it over us if we were 9-7 in any scenario, so I did not include them in this.

--Also, I’m not even going to get into if we finish 8-8, because in that case, we’d need a lot to happen. DEFINITELY possible, but we’d need a lot to happen.

--One last thing…if we only win 1 of these last 2 games, it is WAY more important that it’s the KC game. Forget strength of victory, our conference record would eliminate us from most tiebreakers first…winning in Philly only helps if we can win out, or if enough teams finish 8-8 that we squeak in, which isn’t likely. Not to say we shouldn’t root for us to beat Philly…I’m very hopeful we beat KC, so a win in Philly could clinch our spot, practically.

--Next week is obviously the last week of this, let’s hope the scenarios are short and sweet with us at 9-7 and enough of the guys right behind us losing.

WHO TO ROOT FOR:

We really have to root hard all across the board this week…
--We’re rooting for the following: San Diego (Yes, San Diego) on Christmas, Oakland (for SOV purposes), Houston (over Miami), Pittsburgh (over Baltimore), the Giants over Carolina (for SOV), New England over Jax, New Orleans over tampa (SOV), DENVER (obviously), INDY over the Jets.

In order of importance:

1) DENVER: Clearly a big game, we win this we could win out and secure our spot in the playoffs as the #5 or 6 seed
2) New England: Helps our SOV out, but also ruins Jacksonville’s chances, and JAX is our biggest threat other than Baltimore because of the Head to Head
3) Pittsburgh over Baltimore: If we win out, this would give us the #5, and also because a Baltimore split helps us in most situations if there are multiple teams at 9-7, because Baltimore’s SOV sucks.
4) INDY over the Jets: The Jets can beat us in tiebreakers if they finish ahead of the Dolphins, so it is important they lsoe
5) Houston: Though Houston is technically still a threat, they are far less a threat than Miami.
6) Giants: This one helps us only for SOV
7) Oakland: See above
8) San Diego: Beats Tennessee which helps us, although only if we lose out, so it shouldn’t matter that much since losing out screws us over anyway. And they’re still San Diego. But I sure as hell don’t want to play them in the first round, so a win here gives them the bye for sure.
9) New Orleans: Just for the SOV, no big deal here. But if you’re going to root for someone, root for them.

So there you have it, 9 of these games have a big impact on us. Root hard all week!

In terms of our current draft position: The Bears currently have what would be the 9th pick in the draft, and depending on how things go, that can move all the way up to most likely the highest being 6th, and the lowest being around 16th or so. If it stays where it is though and we get a top 10 draft pick, then DAMN, that worked out well.

And that’s all for this week…hopefully we pulled off the upset next week and are in good shape for week 17, but if not…these scenarios already tell you what you need to know. :beer:

BroncoWave
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I think you're wrong in saying we should root for Pitt over Baltimore. If we lose to Philly (and let's face it, that probably going to happen), then Pitt beating Baltimore would give us all 3 the same record and leave us out in the cold come week 17 if both were to win their last game.

In most of the likely scenarios I've come up with, it's better for Baltimore to go ahead and knock out Pitt and for us to deal with the tiebreakers for the last WC spot. Bal and Pitt both sticking around is only bad news for us.

Plus, in the one scenario that could guarantee us a playoff spot this weekend, it involves Bal beating Pitt.

RunYouOver
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I think you're wrong in saying we should root for Pitt over Baltimore. If we lose to Philly (and let's face it, that probably going to happen), then Pitt beating Baltimore would give us all 3 the same record and leave us out in the cold come week 17 if both were to win their last game.

In most of the likely scenarios I've come up with, it's better for Baltimore to go ahead and knock out Pitt and for us to deal with the tiebreakers for the last WC spot. Bal and Pitt both sticking around is only bad news for us.

Plus, in the one scenario that could guarantee us a playoff spot this weekend, it involves Bal beating Pitt.

That's under the impression that a Baltimore Pittsburgh Denver 3 way tie is a bad thing...I'm not sold that it is. I still stand by my original opinion that 3 way WC tiebreaker rule 1 would eliminate Pittsburgh and the spots would go to Baltimore and Denver.

Whatever happens in that game, I'll be able to spin it off positively ;)

Edit: You are right though, in the sense that our only clinching option this week is if Denver and Baltimore win, and Jacksonville, NYJ and Miami all lose.

BroncoWave
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
That's under the impression that a Baltimore Pittsburgh Denver 3 way tie is a bad thing...I'm not sold that it is. I still stand by my original opinion that 3 way WC tiebreaker rule 1 would eliminate Pittsburgh and the spots would go to Baltimore and Denver.

Whatever happens in that game, I'll be able to spin it off positively ;)

Edit: You are right though, in the sense that our only clinching option this week is if Denver and Baltimore win, and Jacksonville, NYJ and Miami all lose.

That's not true though. If at the end of the year, Denver, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are all tied for the 2 WC spots, Denver is the team left out, not Pitt.

Pitt gets knocked out in the tiebreaker for the 5 seed, but they are thrown back into the pool for the 6 seed and would get it over Denver due to H2H.

Baltimore beating Pitt STRONGLY helps our chances of getting the 6 seed as long as NY, Jax, or Ten don't pull their upsets this week.

While Pitt winning would give us a better chance at the 5 seed, Baltimore winning gives us a better chance of getting in period.

RunYouOver
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
That's not true though. If at the end of the year, Denver, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are all tied for the 2 WC spots, Denver is the team left out, not Pitt.

Pitt gets knocked out in the tiebreaker for the 5 seed, but they are thrown back into the pool for the 6 seed and would get it over Denver due to H2H.

Baltimore beating Pitt STRONGLY helps our chances of getting the 6 seed as long as NY, Jax, or Ten don't pull their upsets this week.

While Pitt winning would give us a better chance at the 5 seed, Baltimore winning gives us a better chance of getting in period.

I still don't know if that's the case though...it simply states that to BREAK the tie for a three teams competing for wild card spots, that the first step to try and break the tie is to eliminate all but the highest ranked club before going to step 2. So you eliminate and the Steelers, and then the problem is solved.

To be honest, it really does NOT say either way, and both sides of the argument make sense, in my opinion.

BroncoWave
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
I still don't know if that's the case though...it simply states that to BREAK the tie for a three teams competing for wild card spots, that the first step to try and break the tie is to eliminate all but the highest ranked club before going to step 2. So you eliminate and the Steelers, and then the problem is solved.

To be honest, it really does NOT say either way, and both sides of the argument make sense, in my opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=tiebreakers

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the three Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss.

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2, and repeated a third time, if necessary, to identify the third Wild Card. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.

I think this makes it pretty clear that after the 5 seed is awarded, they put the remaining tied teams back into a pool and go back to step one to determine the 6 seed.

RunYouOver
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=tiebreakers

I think this makes it pretty clear that after the 5 seed is awarded, they put the remaining tied teams back into a pool and go back to step one to determine the 6 seed.

It sure does...I was going by nfl.com's procedures, which were much more vague...which is weird.:confused:

BroncoWave
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
It sure does...I was going by nfl.com's procedures, which were much more vague...which is weird.:confused:

I agree, it is odd that theirs is so vague and ESPN's is so specific.

But I do think that since a 3-way tie between Den, Bal, and Pitt leaves us out, we should root for Bal to beat Pitt this week.

BroncoBJ
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Yea, this is the messiest I've seen it as well. :lol:

I love all the confusion and stuff and the big mix of 7-7 teams. I'm glad were ahead of that mess just a little bit :P

But heres the thing that I use to see who can do what and everything:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=44004514&15=51004441&16=45111505

I play around with it and try to find out all the little scenerios :lol:

its pretty interesting. :salute:

broncophan
12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Would have been a helluva lot less confusion if we would have just beat the Raiders.........oh well........some crazy scenarios..........GO BRONCOS!!!

camdisco24
12-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Wow thanks for typing all that up!
You guys have no idea how bad I wanna make the playoffs this year... If we miss them (again) I'm going to be so bummed. That loss yesterday was such a killer. We HAVE to come out pissed on Sunday. Hopefully our O-line will get a new set of skills from Santa and give our offense time to move the ball!!!!

I'll be rooting hard for everything to go our way! GO BRONCOS!

RunYouOver
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree, it is odd that theirs is so vague and ESPN's is so specific.

But I do think that since a 3-way tie between Den, Bal, and Pitt leaves us out, we should root for Bal to beat Pitt this week.

Absolutely, seeing how that three way tie hurts us, yeah.

Root for Baltimore.

Northman
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, i played with that toy that was put up by Nomad in the other thread where it simulates the last couple of weeks. And if Jax and Denver loses but Bmore and Miami win Denver is in giving the wildcards to Bmore and Denver after week 16. If Bmore loses in that senario it will be Miami and Denver in. Dont ask me how as that is the senario they have played out in that case.

But, going into week 17 even if Denver wins and Bmore and Pitt win their final games both PItt and Bmore are in. If Pitt loses to Miami both Miami and Denver are in. If Bmore loses to Oakland than Pitt and Denver are in.

Obviously, if Denver wins their final two games they are in.

CrazyHorse
12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Yea, this is the messiest I've seen it as well. :lol:

I love all the confusion and stuff and the big mix of 7-7 teams. I'm glad were ahead of that mess just a little bit :P

But heres the thing that I use to see who can do what and everything:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=44004514&15=51004441&16=45111505

I play around with it and try to find out all the little scenerios :lol:

its pretty interesting. :salute:

Interesting. If there's an 8 way tie at 8-8 between Denver, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Miami, New York, Tennesee, and Houston. We still get in!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=50005045&16=45022151

If we don't win any more games let's hope the dominoes fall into place.

BroncoWave
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
1) DENVER: Clearly a big game, we win this we could win out and secure our spot in the playoffs as the #5 or 6 seed
2) New England: Helps our SOV out, but also ruins Jacksonville’s chances, and JAX is our biggest threat other than Baltimore because of the Head to Head
3) Pittsburgh over Baltimore: If we win out, this would give us the #5, and also because a Baltimore split helps us in most situations if there are multiple teams at 9-7, because Baltimore’s SOV sucks.
4) INDY over the Jets: The Jets can beat us in tiebreakers if they finish ahead of the Dolphins, so it is important they lsoe
5) Houston: Though Houston is technically still a threat, they are far less a threat than Miami.
6) Giants: This one helps us only for SOV
7) Oakland: See above
8) San Diego: Beats Tennessee which helps us, although only if we lose out, so it shouldn’t matter that much since losing out screws us over anyway. And they’re still San Diego. But I sure as hell don’t want to play them in the first round, so a win here gives them the bye for sure.
9) New Orleans: Just for the SOV, no big deal here. But if you’re going to root for someone, root for them.

While we've already agreed that we should root for Baltimore instead of Pitt, I have another slight disagreement in the order. I think Houston over Miami is MUCH more important to us than being #5 and here's why:

We are guaranteed to have any tiebreaker over Houston so it's ok for us if they finish 9-7. This also helps us alot if Pitt were to beat Baltimore. The reason is if we were to finish tied at 9-7 with Pitt and Baltimore, we would need another 9-7 team in there to free us from our H2H loss against Pitt. Houston would be the perfect team because we would win the three way tiebreak among us, Houston, and Pitt.

Houston winning this week also helps us in this scenario because it makes us free to cheer for Miami to beat Pitt in week 17 and if that happens, we are in regardless of anything else assuming we beat KC (also assuming that NY and Jax lose this week).

One more thing, the absolute WORST thing that could happen is if we lose and Pitt and Miami win. The reason is because assuming we and Baltimore were to both finish 9-7 (and assuming NY and Jax lose this week), we are guaranteed to finish in a 3-way tie with Baltimore and the Pit-Mia winner. If Pitt wins that game, we are eliminated. If Mia wins it, it comes down to strength of victory and that is too close to call at this point.

So needless to say, Houston and/or Baltimore winning this week greatly helps our chances.

EDIT: I'd also add Dallas to the bottom of this list for SOV purposes.

Medford Bronco
12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
While we've already agreed that we should root for Baltimore instead of Pitt, I have another slight disagreement in the order. I think Houston over Miami is MUCH more important to us than being #5 and here's why:

We are guaranteed to have any tiebreaker over Houston so it's ok for us if they finish 9-7. This also helps us alot if Pitt were to beat Baltimore. The reason is if we were to finish tied at 9-7 with Pitt and Baltimore, we would need another 9-7 team in there to free us from our H2H loss against Pitt. Houston would be the perfect team because we would win the three way tiebreak among us, Houston, and Pitt.

Houston winning this week also helps us in this scenario because it makes us free to cheer for Miami to beat Pitt in week 17 and if that happens, we are in regardless of anything else assuming we beat KC (also assuming that NY and Jax lose this week).

One more thing, the absolute WORST thing that could happen is if we lose and Pitt and Miami win. The reason is because assuming we and Baltimore were to both finish 9-7 (and assuming NY and Jax lose this week), we are guaranteed to finish in a 3-way tie with Baltimore and the Pit-Mia winner. If Pitt wins that game, we are eliminated. If Mia wins it, it comes down to strength of victory and that is too close to call at this point.

So needless to say, Houston and/or Baltimore winning this week greatly helps our chances.

EDIT: I'd also add Dallas to the bottom of this list for SOV purposes.

Well Said BTB:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute: