PDA

View Full Version : Game observations; Raiders

West
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
No, this is not a thread where I'm going to rant and come off very abrasive to multiple aspects of our teams.. I'll be somewhat objective so bare with me..

-Our play calling has become very predictable on 1st down. I think I remember seeing the off tackle to the right side about 8 times. It didn't work the 1st-7th time, why run it 8 times? Obviously i'm being sarcastic but why is McD so opposed to running behind Big Clady? But instead we run it to the right and get next to nothing on every single carry. It baffles me. We have struggled all year getting yards on 1st down to make it a little easier on the next 2 downs to pick up the 1st. I would think McD would realize this and not call the off-tackle play to the right side.

-Its really frustrating seeing Orton getting pressured on every pass play. Other than Clady, our whole OL REALLY struggles with pass protecting. Its embarrassing seeing Hochstein in the starting line-up; sorry but its true.

-Yes, the protection is bad but Orton goes down if a defender farts on him. He has a hard time with pocket presence and evading defenders.

-I feel like a broken record when I address the same topics each and every week. But the DL is not effective enough for a 3-4. We HAVE to address the DL in the off-season or we're going to see more of the same. We had 8 guys in the box and they STILL ran for over 200 yards on the ground. They couldn't pass for shit and they still run for 200.... Jesus.

-I would like to see Doom become more of a situational pass rusher, a lot like DeMarcus Ware. He really has a hard time playing the outside on running plays. I saw countless times where he hit the wrong pad on a blocker and one of the backs ran right where he was suppose to be.

-Andra Davis and DJ Williams played extremely well despite the fact that they get no help from the "anchor" of our D; the NT.

-I can't stand when people bash Knowshon. Again, its not his fault he's not getting yards. When they show replays of his runs, THERE IS NOWHERE TO GO. Our interior line is pathetic and DESPERATELY needs revamping. So if you hear anyone begging for Hillis on short down plays, do not listen to them. Its not our backs, its the OL.

Overall, we're going to struggle to get into the playoffs after seeing these past two weeks of more of the same from: McD's playcalling, insufficent DL, pathetic OL, Doom STILL being out of position, etc.

silkamilkamonico
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
-Yes, the protection is bad but Orton goes down if a defender farts on him. He has a hard time with pocket presence and evading defenders.

And people wonder why he isn't more aggressive in calling down the field plays, where it takes time to develop.

The Glue Factory
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
And people wonder why he isn't more aggressive in calling down the field plays, where it takes time to develop.

And those same people seem to forget that there's only so much that can be done in getting the players you need in a single year when changing schemes. :tsk:

claymore
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
And those same people seem to forget that there's only so much that can be done in getting the players you need in a single year when changing schemes. :tsk:

On one hand you are right. But the second we stop demanding excellence is the second we become a 2nd tier team.

Id rather have JMCD feel the fire every day of his Bronco career till we have another Lombardi.

Fan pressure makes a difference. Teams read what we say.......

Dean
12-21-2009, 07:33 PM

We weren't aggressive earlier in the year when we had time to throw downfield. :coffee: You are right; we may not be able to any longer.

Thatis true but we have more success when we are using the ZBS that our linemen were drafted for but the last two games we are back to seldom using it yet again. :confused:

The Glue Factory
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
On one hand you are right. But the second we stop demanding excellence is the second we become a 2nd tier team.

Id rather have JMCD feel the fire every day of his Bronco career till we have another Lombardi.

Fan pressure makes a difference. Teams read what we say.......

I never said we stop demanding excellence. Just that you can't expect changes to be completed immediately and all this crying and bellyaching is showing people being impatient and in some cases immature when they demand things be different.

West
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I never said we stop demanding excellence. Just that you can't expect changes to be completed immediately and all this crying and bellyaching is showing people being impatient and in some cases immature when they demand things be different.

So you would rather have the... "We lost but we got cheated out of the win and there's nothing wrong with our team" angle? Being impatient is part of being a fan. No fan wants to have a "rebuilding" team. We want to win and win now. And we're going to bitch about the imperfections of our team. That's the way it goes.

Superchop 7
12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Don't worry....

We have an "offensive genius" as our head coach.

The Glue Factory
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
So you would rather have the... "We lost but we got cheated out of the win and there's nothing wrong with our team" angle? Being impatient is part of being a fan. No fan wants to have a "rebuilding" team. We want to win and win now. And we're going to bitch about the imperfections of our team. That's the way it goes.

And there's those of us who understand that we ARE rebuilding whether we like it or not. It's no use demanding things be different when you can do absolutely nothing about it. McDaniels hands are tied about how much he can do between now and the SB to make this team better. I don't like it but I'm not going to complain about it either. I will certainly WISH it were different, but that's much different than complaining about it and demanding it to be different. I'll give you a bucket, tell you to hold back the tide and complain when you fail. In the end the same result would be attained, complaining and demanding life be different than it is.

gregbroncs
12-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Don't worry....

We have an "offensive genius" as our head coach.;)Don't say that. We had one of those and our team sucked once the franchise QB left.

West
12-21-2009, 11:17 PM
And there's those of us who understand that we ARE rebuilding whether we like it or not. It's no use demanding things be different when you can do absolutely nothing about it. McDaniels hands are tied about how much he can do between now and the SB to make this team better. I don't like it but I'm not going to complain about it either. I will certainly WISH it were different, but that's much different than complaining about it and demanding it to be different. I'll give you a bucket, tell you to hold back the tide and complain when you fail. In the end the same result would be attained, complaining and demanding life be different than it is.

So what's the point of a message board other than being an arm chair quarterback?

dogfish
12-22-2009, 12:54 AM
lay off my boy doom! he's never played linebacker before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. . .

UDX
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Hello from Chicago. I decided to stop watching Bears during the game and switch over to Broncos if I were lucky enough to find a stream which I did. And yes I also saw highlights of every broncos game, just because I wish that Bears have kept Kyle. Cutler, I hope they bench him the next two games, he has just become annoying to look at, though it is not the QB by most accounts, but rather the o-line - I still don't want to watch him.

One thing comes to mind with the raiders game. On 4th and 10 that the raiders had - I am thinking it's probably going to be a pass - not run for sure. Wouldn't the broncos have better luck just for that particular down to put everyone possible on Russel - I don't know raise hell for that one moment? It seems to me that only 3 guys rushed on raiders and Russel found someone open. I mean I don't know about the NFL all that much or just pass rush (began watching NFL with bears superbowl appearance) but it just seemed like that there was something more that could have been done at that time.

Also, why a field goal on "every 4th down"? I keep thinking to myself just like my friend says - throw the kitchen book away and do something different on 4th down. While watching broncos on the field something reminded me so much Lovie's conservative, safe play with bears. I don't know if broncos have been doing it - Lovie just loves to punt when we enter the opponents territory at their let's say 48 yard line on the 4th down.

Anyways, all season long I been hoping Kyle goes to playoffs. Grossy, Greesy, and now Cutler don't really work for bears, but Cutler now also made the 2 G's look actually great. I have always been saying that Kyle was not the problem and Cutler now simply - proved it. With the struggling o-line and defense and a some help from Forte in 08 Kyle just needed one win to take us to playoffs and he made the best out of bears offense. Well, Angelo I hope you got your QB position straight. Best of luck to broncos and Kyle to make it to playoffs, from Chicago bears fan - I hope that it will be a win against the Philly since they have clinched - KC worries me though, but again I hope broncos win it.

getlynched47
12-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Lucy Pinder, I love you.

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
lay off my boy doom! he's never played linebacker before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. . .

Let's see how this works...

lay off my boy JOSH! he's never been a head coach before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

lay off my boy Moreno! he's never played in the NFL before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

lay off my boy Orton! he's never played in a sytem like this before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

Intersting how we can pick and choose who we want to defend. I'm not calling Dogfish out on this, but I thought his quote would be interesting if we switched some things around and took a look at the double standards we create

West
12-22-2009, 09:34 PM

I'm just pointing something out. Not that we have anyone capable behind him, i'm just pointing out that he is making a lot of mistakes.

dogfish
12-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Let's see how this works...

lay off my boy JOSH! he's never been a head coach before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

lay off my boy Moreno! he's never played in the NFL before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

lay off my boy Orton! he's never played in a sytem like this before, give him another year there and he'll get it right. .

Intersting how we can pick and choose who we want to defend. I'm not calling Dogfish out on this, but I thought his quote would be interesting if we switched some things around and took a look at the double standards we create

i choose to defend the guy with 15 sacks. . . :D

although, FTR, my post was at least half in jest, and for the most part i've defended JMFMCD far more than i've attacked him. . . there are times that i don't love some of his play calling, but i've always admitted that he's a first year coach and that there are going to be growing pains. . . although, while we're on the subject of game observations, one thing he does that just kills me is the freakin' desperation challenges-- wish he'd be a little more judicious with the timeouts when the replays show very little chance of the call being overturned. . .

oh, and west. . . any more comments about my boy doom, and i'm gonna rip into you like king into a sack of baconators. . . .

:lol:

pnbronco
12-22-2009, 10:35 PM
oh, and west. . . any more comments about my boy doom, and i'm gonna rip into you like king into a sack of baconators. . . .

Not to mention he's Davii's boy too, so I would back away if I were you West.

West
12-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Not to mention he's Davii's boy too, so I would back away if I were you West.

Why? He's a liability in run support.

MOtorboat
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM

You knew this already, though...

4-12, right?

pnbronco
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Oh West, I'm sorry I thought we were having fun....:whoknows:

Go right ahead and tick off the Marine....

West
12-23-2009, 12:28 AM

I don't mind. I'm just stating a fact; he sucks in run support and should be used sparingly if we had adequate depth.

CoachChaz
12-23-2009, 08:19 AM

People do it here all the time

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Kenny Petersen was horrible in this game.

hotcarl
12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Kenny Petersen was horrible in this game.

i am literally blaming this game on kenny peterson. he is the "KEY TO THE GAME" :welcome::salute: