PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: Broncos' loss even uglier on film

Denver Native (Carol)
12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14042828

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has seen the film from his team's 20-19 loss to Oakland, and what was bad live Sunday was even more of a nightmare on repeat viewing.

"We just missed so many opportunities in critical situations, and this time of year, against a division opponent, those ultimately always come back to haunt you, and yesterday, that's really what the case was," McDaniels said this morning.

McDaniels rehashed a number of the Broncos' failures against the Raiders, namely the offense's inability to score touchdowns in the red zone and the defense's collapse against Oakland - and quarterback JaMarcus Russell - in the game's final minutes.

In coachspeak, those are "situational football" moments - the things coaches preach over and over in meetings and that team's rehearse specifically in practice.

"This is a game where you have to coach well in those situations, you have to play well in those situations, and they have to marry together," McDaniels said. "And it's frustrating, but you know, that tells you how important it is."

Players are back at Dove Valley today for meetings and a workout, and will start their full preparations for Sunday's now must-win game at Philadelphia on Wednesday. The Broncos now that to give themselves the best chance at making the playoffs, they need to win that game, as well as the season-finale against Kansas City. The Broncos currently hold the No. 6 seed in the AFC.

"We're not dead, and we're going to keep playing. We've got to get better at some of these things," McDaniels said.

Northman
12-21-2009, 04:05 PM
namely the offense's inability to score touchdowns in the red zone

Gee McD, you think?

LawDog
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Gee McD, you think?

Coach McObvious...

Buff
12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I am not in the mood to hear anyone from the Broncos organization say anything today.

So pissed. :yell: :censored:

weazel
12-21-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14042828

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has seen the film from his team's 20-19 loss to Oakland, and what was bad live Sunday was even more of a nightmare on repeat viewing.

"We just missed so many opportunities in critical situations, and this time of year, against a division opponent, those ultimately always come back to haunt you, and yesterday, that's really what the case was," McDaniels said this morning.

McDaniels rehashed a number of the Broncos' failures against the Raiders, namely the offense's inability to score touchdowns in the red zone and the defense's collapse against Oakland - and quarterback JaMarcus Russell - in the game's final minutes.

In coachspeak, those are "situational football" moments - the things coaches preach over and over in meetings and that team's rehearse specifically in practice.

"This is a game where you have to coach well in those situations, you have to play well in those situations, and they have to marry together," McDaniels said. "And it's frustrating, but you know, that tells you how important it is."

Players are back at Dove Valley today for meetings and a workout, and will start their full preparations for Sunday's now must-win game at Philadelphia on Wednesday. The Broncos now that to give themselves the best chance at making the playoffs, they need to win that game, as well as the season-finale against Kansas City. The Broncos currently hold the No. 6 seed in the AFC.

"We're not dead, and we're going to keep playing. We've got to get better at some of these things," McDaniels said.

in other words... He is blaming the offensive players and not taking any responsibility for the worst ******* offensive play calling this team has seen in 15 years.

get ******, McD

Buff
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
I've never been part of the "McEgo" "McDumbass" crowd... I like the guy, I think he's a good coach.

But he completely dropped the ball yesterday.

His statements do seem to try to shift a lot of the responsibility back onto the players... Basically saying "Well if they would have executed the game plan properly then we wouldn't have lost." Which is partially true, but if he wouldn't have called a run on every 1st down, QB sneaks in situations where we needed more than a yard, screen passes on 3rd and long, Lamont Jordan in the freaking game period... Then we may have had a better chance to win the game.

I haven't seen the full presser, but based on what I've read, I would have liked to see him own up to a few more of his mistakes today.

silkamilkamonico
12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
This is bad.

I almost feel like nothings changed from the perspective of the coaching staff between him, and overrated Mike "the mastermind" Shanahan.

Brand
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't wanna hear "My bad". Make the fugging play.....

Dortoh
12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Play calling has been bad but IMO part of it is covering for a piss poor OLine performance of late.

jhildebrand
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
McD can say what he wants but it probably would be a good idea to stop throwing his players under the bus!

The fact is his team played a vanilla game on both sides of the football. My guess is they did that in order to not show too much before going to the playoffs. The problem is he assumed vanilla would beat Oak and that he was in the playoffs and now he sees what that assumption got him.

Personally, he seems to be out thinking himself. He could have had the D play THEIR game against Indy but we tried a goofy 4-2-5. He tried not to show anything to Oakland.

The best teams in this league play their game even if the other team knows what is happening. The 97 and 98 Broncos did, too.

JDL
12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Play calling has been bad but IMO part of it is covering for a piss poor OLine performance of late.

Coinciding, of course, with Bucks injury... hmmm

The short-yardage has always been an issue.

I will say that Jordan actually looked like a viable short-yardage back yesterday... he had some burst back and broke some tackles going up the middle for some tough running. Moreno is at that point in the season where his legs are just dead. I get a little peaved when people continually put all the blame on the OL, when Buck routinely makes big plays with the same run blocking. Moreno just looks like he's hit the rookie wall and we just keep feeding it to him. He should be getting 13-15 carries a game right now and Jordan or Hillis should be getting more carries to if nothing else keep him fresher, and maybe, just maybe one of those guys might surprise. Personally, I am tired of the Pats run blocking scheme, people say things like simple blocks etc. etc. but the Pats have NEVER been all that great running the ball. They've NEVER scared anybody with their rush attack... Denver ALWAYS did and perhaps it is something where the pass play formations won't mesh with the zone-blocking pass formations, but I will say we badly need someone to get in and teach this offense how to run a screen play... it is embarrassing... and they ought to be stellar at it with their OL mobility.

Dzone
12-22-2009, 02:47 AM
play calling comes down to simple common sense, and he is seriously lacking in that department. mcdougal is a dumbass. Kicking that field goal late was as dumb as it gets.

Elevation inc
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
i dont doubt it.....i was on my couch and it looked horrendous...i can only imagine the self reflection and disgust that follwed while standing in front of a big screen and watching up close how piss poor we played...

Dumervil, Peterson, Woodyard, Smith, Mcbean, Ayers/ Haggan all played like crap...

Hochstein/kuper/weigman/Polumbus looked like the buffalo bills third string OL

moreno was running scared and its clear he has hit that proverbial rookie wall so to speak would not suprise me if he doesnt reach 1000 yds as MCD is running him into the ground.....

orton played way to inconsistent and every game gives me a reason to belive we have griese reincarnated here.....

And MCD and nolan called a horrible game period!!!!!

the only bright spot i took from that game was that tony carter may be legit at the pro level and david bruton has a good future here as well....i really like a pairing of him and mcbath for the long haul.....oh and that jordan converted a couple short yardage situations....

rest assured we have been figured out...playoffs or not we have have alot of work to do still next off-season.....

CoachChaz
12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
play calling comes down to simple common sense, and he is seriously lacking in that department. mcdougal is a dumbass. Kicking that field goal late was as dumb as it gets.

Yeah...that's why just ANYONE can walk in and do it.

I swear...I feel like I'm listening to Cowboys fans lately. This is sad and pathetic

Northman
12-22-2009, 08:33 AM
All i know is i saw the winning TD by JMarsh and Chillz and saw the horrendous tackle attempt by someone. Who the hell was covering Chillz?

Elevation inc
12-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah...that's why just ANYONE can walk in and do it.

I swear...I feel like I'm listening to Cowboys fans lately. This is sad and pathetic

im like you i dont belive that at all(we are couch spectators), but damn the game was called pretty bad(when i know the play i am damn sure a D-cordinator who is trained is ready for it as well.... when you run seven time to the right for -9 yds, that should tell you to stop running that way, yet we still tried it again....lol

Elevation inc
12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
All i know is i saw the winning TD by JMarsh and Chillz and saw the horrendous tackle attempt by someone. Who the hell was covering Chillz?

alphonso smith was in coverage and got burned and in 3 secs was 3 yds away from the reciver, he did however close quickly and had a chance for the tackle and attempted it but it was a very lame attempt....

Superchop 7
12-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Kenny Petersen had the absolute worst game of any Bronco.

Had they pulled out the game plan from the NE game they would have won by 30.

hotcarl
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Kenny Petersen had the absolute worst game of any Bronco.

Had they pulled out the game plan from the NE game they would have won by 30.

i, too, spend time breaking down kenny peterson film and responding on internet forums. :welcome::salute: