PDA

View Full Version : Penalty for excessive crowd noise

sneakers
12-21-2009, 06:24 AM
I remember like 15 years ago where there instances in which the referee would ask the home crowd to quiet down because the visiting team could not call out their signals, and the home team would be called for a penalty if they crowd did not quiet down.

As far as I know this rule is still in effect, but no quarterback has gone to refs complaining of late.

missingnumber7
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
I remember like 15 years ago where there instances in which the referee would ask the home crowd to quiet down because the visiting team could not call out their signals, and the home team would be called for a penalty if they crowd did not quiet down.

As far as I know this rule is still in effect, but no quarterback has gone to refs complaining of late.

I think thats where the ear pieces/head sets in the QB's helmet originally came from.

OrangeHoof
12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think the rule is still in place, having been replaced by modern technology however the rule rarely worked anyway because once the crowd saw that it was affecting the opposition, it just made them shout louder.

But, speaking of crowds, did anyone find out what the long delay was about when we were down near the Oakland goal line in the fourth quarter? I was at a bar watching with the sound off but there were cops milling around on the field and in the stands and play was delayed about 10 minutes.

Did somebody throw an object at Marshall? If so, what was it?

NightTrainLayne
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't think the rule is still in place, having been replaced by modern technology however the rule rarely worked anyway because once the crowd saw that it was affecting the opposition, it just made them shout louder.

But, speaking of crowds, did anyone find out what the long delay was about when we were down near the Oakland goal line in the fourth quarter? I was at a bar watching with the sound off but there were cops milling around on the field and in the stands and play was delayed about 10 minutes.

Did somebody throw an object at Marshall? If so, what was it?

Somebody had a laser pointer shining at the team from the stands.

Hoser
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I never knew this rule existed... I think if they actually called that penalty the boo's would be deafening.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Yep, back when teams were petrified to play in Denver. Now they probably look at their schedule and go: "yes! we get to shit on the Broncos after a fast start! I love mile high saluting to Denver fans in their own house, I'm a pissburg squeeler!"

OK, I'm ranting, but I KNOW you mad.

FanInAZ
01-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes, the ruled did exist at least at one time. However, I'm not sure that its still on the books. Whenever the rule was applied, it only motivated the crowd to get rowdier by confirming that their rowdiness was affecting their opponent. However, even though the games were frequently paused, I think there was only one occasion that I can remember the refs actually imposing the penalty. I think that it was officially a 15 yards unsportsmanlike conduct, but don't hold me to that. The ear peaces in the QBs’ helmet do nothing for the other 10 players who can't hear his audibles and snap count.

The solution for dealing with crowd noise is 2 fold: First, by practicing in "noise domes." All NFL teams, including the Broncos, have a special domed practice facility that they use in preparation for road game. Especially if that are going to be playing in a domed stadium. They pump loud recordings of crowd noise into the facility during their practice in order that they can get used to functioning in that kind of environment.

These special practice facilities give them the opportunity to practice the 2nd part of the solution, the silent snap count. This is done by the center looking between his legs at the QB waiting for the signal. Once he gets it, he looks back up like normal which gives his teams the signal that the play starts in however many seconds were told them in the huddle.

Even before all of this, there was one very effective way suggested by game commentators for dealing with crowd noise. Jump out on your opponent early and the crowd will never be able to get themselves into the game.

OrangeHoof
01-22-2010, 04:22 AM
I think it was five yards for delay of game against the home team, not 15 yards.

Dirk
01-28-2010, 07:56 AM
From the NFL Rules Digest:

Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.

So it seems it is still in the books, they just don't call it.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

Zaswpocler
12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
It’s really great posts.

Northman
12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow

Timmy!
12-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Necromancer!

sneakers
12-03-2014, 06:33 AM
They did away with it in 2007

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/09000d5d801e3eb1/article/new-rules-for-2007

Simple Jaded
01-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Kyle Orton Army?

spikerman
01-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, the NFL doesn't call that anymore. Little known fact - under college rules the bands are subject to the rule book and can be penalized. In fact, our crew penalized a band during the playoffs last year. There was a pretty large uproar about it and the band even had shirts made up to raise money. The fans just didn't understand the rule. It was kind of funny.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Madison-and-its-band-play-on-5006543.php

Bronco9798
01-02-2015, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ED3-s3bNmI

Joel
01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
That was SUCH a STUPID rule; so glad it's gone. "Let's punish the team for having fans that actually care if they win." It mainly just punished good teams for playing in domes, which I still suspect was the goal.