PDA

View Full Version : Is Bailey expendable?

Lonestar
12-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Broncos' murky future.

"Here's a thought for you on receiver Brandon Marshall and his contract: I think the Broncos will do everything they can to bring him back. Although this might sound crazy, I think the odd man out is cornerback Champ Bailey. I believe next year the Broncos will focus more on youth and playmakers. Although Bailey is a Hall of Fame cornerback, I don't think Denver is going to be able to keep him and Marshall."

James, Tulsa, Okla.

Kiz: It's hard for me to envision Bailey playing anywhere except Denver next season. But my Magic 8-Ball also says, "Ask again later." If you want a long-term forecast, it does seem within reason to predict that by 2011, Marshall could be catching passes for the Broncos, while Bailey could be starting the final chapter of his brilliant career in another NFL city. Six months ago, who would've thunk B-Marsh might have more of a future in this town than Champ does?

Classy Colts.

"I enjoyed reading about the lady in an orange jersey receiving her souvenir from an Indianapolis fan after Marshall threw a football in the stands during the Broncos game. The class exhibited by the Colts organization and fans sets the tone for how the NFL should be. In a perfect world, that is."

Len, Boone County, Ind.

Kiz: Hats off to Hoosier hospitality. But know what we'd really like to see? A no-holds-barred wrestling match over the NFL's most valuable player trophy on the steps of the state capitol between Purdue's own Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, Indy's favorite son.

I beg to defer.

"I don't know what the big fuss was about coach Josh McDaniels winning the coin toss and deferring to the second half against Indianapolis. The outcome was decided in the third and fourth quarters, when Denver made all those mistakes."

Daryle, Arvada

Kiz: True confession. I couldn't

Broncos top wide receiver Brandon Marshall and star cornerback Champ Bailey, right, could be headed in different directions by 2011 if Denver decides to retain Marshall. (John Leyba, Denver Post file photo )stop giggling in the press box from the instant McDaniels decided to start the game by handing the football to Manning. But here's the truth: To beat the Colts on the road, a coach must think outside the box. Take risks. Go for it on fourth down. After receiving the second-half kickoff, Denver dominated possession in the third quarter (11:01 minutes to 3:59). Considering there was an interception in the red zone by Kyle Orton and missed field goal by Matt Prater during the period, maybe reasonable folks would have to admit Kid McD's strategy wasn't so crazy, after all.

McMoniker irksome.

"As someone thrilled to see the end of Jay Cutler in Denver, regardless of what it meant for the record of the Broncos, I have been thankful for your supportive columns about McDaniels. That said, I cringe every time I read the name 'Kid McD.' Is this really the most original and clever moniker a columnist can come up with? I get it: McDaniels is young. Please just call him McDaniels. Media people seem determined to give everyone a stupid nickname."

Caley, not kidding

Kiz: OK, here's my first stab at a resolution for the new year. Although Kid McD seems like an accurate reflection of this coach's unapologetic, fist-pumping, rub-the- pot-roast-all-over-his-chest exuberance of youth, I will cease use of the nickname, provided Mr. McDaniels starts dressing like an adult on the sideline and only wears his hoodie when mowing the lawn.

Deal?

Stastny needs to step up.

"I regret to be the one to inform you that your knowledge and insight into the sport of hockey is lacking, to say the least. To say Avalanche forward Paul Stastny is a leader on the ice is not 100 percent fiction, but his quiet demeanor often makes it seem like the 'A' on his sweater would go to better use on someone else's jersey. If you have watched any games this season, you will notice men younger than Stastny are leading Colorado to victory."

Kristen, Denver

Kiz: So now we know who put the bah in humbug. Consider your warm holiday greetings to Stastny passed along. But I leave it to you to petition Team USA to keep him off the Olympic team.

Parting shot
Naughty is nice

And today's parting shot echoes like a rebel yell: It's fun to be bad!

"Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin (right) is just what hockey needs: a swift kick in the rump. A true baddie. Someone who forcefully goes against the grain, stirring up the vanilla landscape. 'Ovie' is Darth Vader. He is John McEnroe. He is Jack Tatum (they must have the same dentist). Without these baddies, everything in sports becomes puppy dogs and rainbows. Yawn!"

Robert, Eugene, Ore.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14036171?source=rsssimplepiebroncos