PDA

View Full Version : Russell is an afterthought

Lonestar
12-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Armstrong:
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to note. . . .

Nice career, JaMarcus Russell. Who'd have thought Charlie Frye's caddie would make more than Tiger's? . . .

The Broncos are going to have to give 110, maybe 111 percent to beat the Eagles next weekend. The Raiders? I'm thinking Russell's completion percentage (48.0) ought to do it. . . .

What does it mean for Russell, the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft, when the quarterback who took his job, Bruce Gradkowski, gets hurt and Frye is named the starter? "It means he continues to develop," Raiders coach Tom Cable said. Alrighty then. Glad we got that cleared up. . . .

The Barrel Man is gone, John Elway has an artificial knee and Al Davis is confined to a walker. Moral to the story? Time may be on Mick Jagger's side, but it's beating the heck out of the rest of us. . . .

By the numbers: The Broncos were 15-18 vs. the Raiders during Elway's 16 seasons — 8-17 before Mike Shanahan became head coach, 7-1 afterward. . . .

Having covered this man's league for a few decades, I've come to know many men who've experienced Al in Wonderland, whether it was in Oakland or Los Angeles. Said one ex-Davis minion, when asked to comment on the current state of the Raiduhs: "I'll pass. I'm viewed as a bitter former employee, along with about 800 others." . . .

Ah, the holidays, the most wonderful time of the year. Which reminds me. All John Calipari wants for Christmas is Bob Knight's two front teeth. . . .

The best part of the holidays? That's easy. You can sing along to a Burl Ives CD and people don't look at you funny. . . .

A Burl Ives and Mick Jagger reference in the same column. Ground- breaking stuff here, people. Next week, Engelbert Humperdinck and Axl Rose. . . .

By the way, the few, the proud, my brain cells tell me Wyoming,

JaMarcus Russell (Getty Images file photo)a double-digit underdog in today's New Mexico Bowl, has a shot to beat Fresno State. . . .

And now for the best Tiger joke out there. PGA Tour commish Tim Finchem says, even if Tiger is gone long term, the tour is going to have a great 2010. . . .

The news gets worse for the tour. Tiger just announced he's taking another indefinite leave so he has time to count all the money this is costing him. If this keeps up, he may be driving a used Buick after all. . . .

By the way, if this column stinks, it's because Randy Moss told me all I had to do was show up in front of the keyboard and go through the motions. . . .

The top darkhorse in the Sunday football league? What, you mean other than the Eagles? They're 9-4 — 3-3 with Brian Westbrook, 6-1 without him. . . .

Headline waiting to happen if Kentucky's super freshman ever has an off shooting night: "Just Another Brick in the Wall." . . .

You sure, Shanny? The Redskins are 4-9 with a nondivision schedule that includes the Rams, Lions, Bucs, Chiefs, Raiders and a partridge in a pear tree. . . .

Best of luck to ex-Rockie Garrett Atkins. Not that, you know, he'll need it with that cozy 366-foot power alley in left-center at Camden Yards. Remember that the next time some East Coast descendent of Abner Doubleday writes that Coors Field is a joke. . . .

The best baseball free agent still on the market? Um, what part of Kate Hudson just broke up with A-Rod don't we get? . . .

Say, didn't you used to be the San Antone Spurs? There's not enough Metamucil in the world to turn that bunch around. . . .

From The Onion: "Pilgrims Depart for America to Escape Horrible Oppression of Soccer." . . .

They say it's your birthday: Jake "The Snake" Plummer (35), Warren Sapp (37), Kevin McHale (52) and Al Kaline (75). Oh, and let's not forget the greatest D lineman in heaven or on Earth, Reggie White (48).

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com or catch him weekdays from 7-10 a.m. on The Score with Armstrong and Shapiro on Mile High Sports Radio-1510 AM.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14030039?_requestid=525110

maybe I missed something but we played the raiders twice a year for 14 years would that not have been a total of 28 wins or loses..

rcsodak
12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Armstrong:
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

maybe I missed something but we played the raiders twice a year for 14 years would that not have been a total of 28 wins or loses..

By the numbers: The Broncos were 15-18 vs. the Raiders during Elway's 16 seasons — 8-17 before Mike Shanahan became head coach, 7-1 afterward. . . .

He's talking of the time ONLY of when Elway was the QB.

Northman
12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Going to throw out a happy birthday to the "Snake". Have a good one Jake.

Lonestar
12-20-2009, 11:36 AM

He's talking of the time ONLY of when Elway was the QB.

it was late and I did not see the double filter there (John and mike) thanks, it kinda makes sense now..