PDA

View Full Version : How about those WYO Cowboys!

Dean
12-19-2009, 09:00 PM
In the New Mexico Bowl tonight they showed the kind of grit that any coach, at any level would be proud of.

For those who didn't see it you missed a well coached and bitterly contested game. Wyoming who was the big underdog scored first. Fresno came back and then in the second half took the lead. Wyoming late in the fourth quarter had a 19 play drive for a TD. They completed a fake punt and two other fourth down plays to score. Wyo went for two and scored to put them behind by three points.

On the following possesion by Fresno, Wyoming took the ball away from the RB while before he made contact with the ground but it took a replay to award the ball to Wyo who drove down for a FG to tie the game with about 20 seconds left.

In overtime, the Bulldogs had the ball first and drove to the five. A Qb keeper on first took it to the one. Wyo, on three consequtive plays, held tight. On their possession Wyoming attempted a FG inside the twenty-five. The kicker who I believe has had three game winners and only missed one from that range this year, hooked barely wide.

In the second overtime UW scored and kicked the PAT. Fresno's prolific rushing attack was abandoned and the passes sailed wide. Wyoming the winner in double overtime a gunfight.

topscribe
12-19-2009, 09:03 PM
In the New Mexico Bowl tonight they showed the kind of grit that any coach, at any level would be proud of.

For those who didn't see it you missed a well coached and bitterly contested game. Wyoming who was the big underdog scored first. Fresno came back and then in the second half took the lead. Wyoming late in the fourth quarter had a 19 play drive for a TD. They completed a fake punt and two other fourth down plays to score. Wyo went for two and scored to put them behind by three points.

On the following possesion by Fresno, Wyoming took the ball away from the RB while before he made contact with the ground but it took a replay to award the ball to Wyo who drove down for a FG to tie the game with about 20 seconds left.

In overtime, the Bulldogs had the ball first and drove to the five. A Qb keeper on first took it to the one. Wyo, on three consequtive plays, held tight. On their possession Wyoming attempted a FG inside the twenty-five. The kicker who I believe has had three game winners and only missed one from that range this year, hooked barely wide.

In the second overtime UW scored and kicked the PAT. Fresno's prolific rushing attack was abandoned and the passes sailed wide. Wyoming the winner in double overtime a gunfight.

As a CSU fan, I have never liked Wyoming.

But you gotta admire a gritty performance such as that. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Skinny
12-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Carta-Samuels was impressive and only a fresh. too. Wyoming fans have got to be estatic about that guy.

JPPT1974
12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Congrats to the WYO Cowboys! And their fans!

Dean
12-19-2009, 10:09 PM
As a CSU fan, I have never liked Wyoming.

But you gotta admire a gritty performance such as that. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

. . . Even when we had Northern Colorado's past coach Glenn?

honz
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I remember thinking how much potential Carta-Samuels has when they played my Utes earlier in the year. You could tell he had a good, accurate arm and could run pretty well, but he simply made too many mistakes and made some bad decisions. He definitely has a bright future ahead of him. That TD throw he made in OT was one of the best plays I've seen in college football this year.

Dean
12-20-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.newmexicobowl.com/

Wyoming edges Fresno St. in double overtime, wins New Mexico Bowl

2009 Game Photos | Official Stats Book | ESPN Coverage

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. --- Wyoming trailed by 11 points in the fourth quarter. Its offense was led by a freshman quarterback, its defense was facing the nation's leading rusher.

Time to worry? Not these comeback Cowboys.

Freshman Austyn Carta-Samuels threw three touchdown passes, the last a 13-yarder to David Leonard in the second overtime Saturday, and Wyoming rallied past Fresno State 35-28 in the New Mexico Bowl.

"Same old deal for all of us," Carta-Samuels said. "We knew we could do it."

The first of 34 bowls was a high-scoring matchup that was decided at the end by defense.

Wyoming (7-6) stopped the nation's leading rusher, Fresno State's Ryan Mathews, on three rushing attempts from the 1 in the first overtime. The Bulldogs (8-5) tried a quarterback sneak on third down, and Mathews came up short again on fourth down.

"If you can't put it in from the 1-yard line, you have to give a lot of credit to the defensive stand by Wyoming," Bulldogs coach Pat Hill said. "We had our chances."

The Cowboys, who won four times this season after rallying in the fourth quarter, scored on the first possession in double overtime, then held Fresno State on downs.

Road To The BCS: The Mountain West's AQ quest
Two years into a four-year evaluation period, the Mountain West Conference is halfway home to securing an automatic BCS bid.

©2009 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights
are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

I like the sound of an automatic BCS bowl bid for the Mountain West conference in the future. There is life west of the Mississsippi and east of the Pacific coast.

LordTrychon
12-20-2009, 04:34 AM
I have to admit two things about when I heard this news tonight.

A) I was very proud of the Pokes. 2-0 in Bowls this millenia.

B) I wish I'd seen them at some point this year, but I have not. I think I have access to some channel or another with DirecTV which would allow me to, but I expected not much this year. Shame on me.

GO POKES!