PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Strategy Question

BroncoWave
12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Why on 3rd and 1 or 2 when teams line up in a passing formation do defenses so commonly line their DB's up 5-10 yards off the WR? In doing this, they are just basically saying "here, take this free first down". This just popped into my head because Wyoming just had a 3rd and 1 against Fresno St. and Fresno had their DB's WAY off the WR's. I just don't understand it.

I guess some would say they are trying to prevent getting beat deep, but I would rather risk getting beat deep than just guarantee them a free first down.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-19-2009, 07:20 PM
In todays NFL you're asking alot by telling 5'11" corners to press 6'5 corners at the line.

BroncoWave
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
It's still better than just giving them a free first down. Maybe by pressing you get lucky and the QB makes a bad throw or the WR drops it. By playing so far off, they don't even have to try.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
It's still better than just giving them a free first down. Maybe by pressing you get lucky and the QB makes a bad throw or the WR drops it. By playing so far off, they don't even have to try.

Well when a corner is playing off he always watches the QB's shoulders, legs and eyes and still has the ability to jump the route, especially if he's in man.

BroncoWave
12-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I guess. It just seems like 9 times out of 10, that strategy leads to an easy first down.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I guess. It just seems like 9 times out of 10, that strategy leads to an easy first down.

As we all know some coaches play not to lose rather than playing to win. Not everyone is as aggressive as rex ryan on D. Alot of cover 2 oriented defenses bend so that they don't break.

Shazam!
12-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Protecting play-action and fakes.