PDA

View Full Version : With the 12th overall pick the Denver Broncos select...

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Here's your chance to make the #1 pick for Denver!

Based on the selections below please make the pick for the Broncos. (no trades... let's assume we can't find the right trade)

1. Miami (1-15) - Chris Long
2. St. Louis (3-13) - Glen Dorsey
3. Atlanta (4-12) - Darren McFadden
4. Oakland (4-12) - Sedrick Ellis
5. Kansas City (4-12) - Jake Long
6. New York Jets (4-12) - Vernon Gholston
7. New England (from San Fran) (5-11) - Leodis McKelvin
8. Baltimore (5-11) - Matt Ryan
9. Cincinnati (7-9) - Keith Rivers
10. New Orleans (7-9) - Mike Jenkins
11. Buffalo (7-9) - Dan Connor
12. Denver (7-9) - ???

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Jonathon Stewart, Reggie Smith, or Ryan Clady... I would have to consult with the rest of the organization leaders.

mclark
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Knowing what I know now, before Free Agency,

Ryan Clady.

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry, but I'm still going to have to go with Kenny Phillips.

Size, speed, and athleticsm.

Position of great need.

Day one starter.

Value.

DallasChief
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I hope that top 5 is right. God, I hope.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I would actually have to go with Jonathon Stewart, Ryan Clady, or trade back... now that I think about it. Trade back would probably be my 1st option.

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I would actually have to go with Jonathon Stewart, Ryan Clady, or trade back... now that I think about it. Trade back would probably be my 1st option.
Sorry Boss, no trades. We can't get a good offer for #12, so what do you do?

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Sorry Boss, no trades. We can't get a good offer for #12, so what do you do?

K, give me Jonathon Stewart then... I would like to see a stud runningback to go a long with Young and Hall. Also he is a good short yardage back and a home run threat as well.... so it should open up the offense for Marshall, Scheffler, and Cutler.

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
What would be your plans then to fix the defense?

tubby
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Pat Sims.

Ricky
02-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Today I would say Ryan Clady

Get into free agency, I will probably change my mind.

slim
02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Ryan Clady

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
What would be your plans then to fix the defense?

2nd round, DT Sims, DT Moore, OLB/MLB Wheeler, S Morgan, S Castille or S Reggie Smith

underrated29
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
just curios, as i dont follow buf, much but will they take back 2 back 1st rd linebackers? With connor and POZ?

I for now say clady,wheeler (if he is good enough for 1st rd at 12, until all the scout reports are out i am just guessing.) or phillips.

I wouldnt mind stewart, but i think to help the team better, we need Defense.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Who would give the Broncos the most value for the pick at #12 overall?

Clady... maybe, If Harris, Pears, and Kuper can't fill the void at LT it would be nice to have a 4th guy in that mix

Phillips... no way, reach, and doesn't really fill a need... Might not even start over Abdullah right away. Need coverage safety... not another hitter.

Stewart or Mendenall... I think so... someone who can move the chains, wear down defenses, and let the Broncos defense rest. Some say Henry is that guy, but Henry is injury prone, bad character guy, and can not be trusted.... When Henry goes down... then what do we have?

I think OL and or RB have the most value at pick 12... if Ellis and Dorsey aren't there... that makes the most sense.

broncohead
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Who would give the Broncos the most value for the pick at #12 overall?

Clady... maybe, If Harris, Pears, and Kuper can't fill the void at LT it would be nice to have a 4th guy in that mix

Phillips... no way, reach, and doesn't really fill a need... Might not even start over Abdullah right away. Need coverage safety... not another hitter.

Stewart or Mendenall... I think so... someone who can move the chains, wear down defenses, and let the Broncos defense rest. Some say Henry is that guy, but Henry is injury prone, bad character guy, and can not be trusted.... When Henry goes down... then what do we have?

I think OL and or RB have the most value at pick 12... if Ellis and Dorsey aren't there... that makes the most sense.

Phillips not a need? Lynch is still unsure about retiring and he isn't as effective. Abdullah doesn't have much playing time so he could be a stop gap. The way I see it there are 2 holes at safety. I could be happy with a RB at #12 and Clady would also be a nice pick. As of right now before FA I would have to go with Phillips. Fills a need and if Lynch doesn't retire adds depth and a starter when he does retire.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Phillips not a need? Lynch is still unsure about retiring and he isn't as effective. Abdullah doesn't have much playing time so he could be a stop gap. The way I see it there are 2 holes at safety. I could be happy with a RB at #12 and Clady would also be a nice pick. As of right now before FA I would have to go with Phillips. Fills a need and if Lynch doesn't retire adds depth and a starter when he does retire.

Adbullah doesn't have much playing time... yet you want to draft a rookie Safety for that position?

If Denver drafts a safety like Phillips, Morgan, or Woodyard.... that will show you how much they think about Abdullah. From what I hear, Denver is very high on Abullah... So I just don't see it happening... but if you want to talk about a coverage safety.. then we will be talking on the same level here, but at pick #12... it may be to early to take a coverage safety like Smith, Castille, Demps, Cromartie.

mclark
02-07-2008, 03:30 PM
K, give me Jonathon Stewart then... I would like to see a stud runningback to go a long with Young and Hall. Also he is a good short yardage back and a home run threat as well.... so it should open up the offense for Marshall, Scheffler, and Cutler.

He's also a very scary kickoff return man. He led the nation as a freshman and then did less and less of it. But he had about 5 kickoff returns for touchdowns in three years, even though he didn't do it much after his freshman season.

mclark
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
If the Broncos dump Henry (which they say we are not going to do), then we will need a #1 back. That's why I've been crooning for Michael Turner as a free agent -- IF we dump Henry.

If we sign a OT, DT, Safety as free agents -- and dump Henry -- then I'm all for the Stewart pick at 12.

I'm not crazy about Henry; but until we dump him, I think we need to direct our energies elsewhere.

(We can always sign someone like Chauncey Washington after the draft to bring in fresh legs and pad our depth at running back.)

mclark
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Adbullah doesn't have much playing time... yet you want to draft a rookie Safety for that position?

If Denver drafts a safety like Phillips, Morgan, or Woodyard.... that will show you how much they think about Abdullah. From what I hear, Denver is very high on Abullah... So I just don't see it happening... but if you want to talk about a coverage safety.. then we will be talking on the same level here, but at pick #12... it may be to early to take a coverage safety like Smith, Castille, Demps, Cromartie.

Can you really go wrong drafting a Miami safety (a Miami player maybe, at any position)?

If Clady is gone, we'll have to think of Connor, Rivers or Philips. And if we took Philips, I wouldn't be upset. I might rather trade down -- but to do that you need to have a partner.

I'd take Clady, Connor, Philips, Rivers and not be too upset.

If we get Rivers to put Gold or Webster on the bench, move DJ back to the outside, and pick up a middle linebacker either through free agency or later in the draft, we'd be looking pretty good.

We have a LOT of holes to fill.

Connor could probably take over the middle -- and we could go with Williams - Conner - Winborn. We'd be much better with that lineup than we were this season.

JONtheBRONCO
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Some one who will start day 1.

lex
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
We should take a RB in Rd 1,...maybe even trade up for McFadden. And then we should draft OL in Rd 2. A dominant running game with explosive plays will do a lot for Cutler.

Traveler
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
We should take a RB in Rd 1,...maybe even trade up for McFadden. And then we should draft OL in Rd 2. A dominant running game with explosive plays will do a lot for Cutler.

If we did trade up for McFad, we wouldn't have a 2nd round pick.

Traveler
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Since we really don't have a LT on the roster, I'd select Clady at this time. Subject to change post combine and FA.

lex
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
If we did trade up for McFad, we wouldn't have a 2nd round pick.

Not if you trade with something else...and it also depends on where we trade to.

broncohead
02-07-2008, 08:20 PM

The main reason we would select Phillips is if Lynch retires and if he doesn't then this is his last year. I read an article saying that Lynch will wait to talk to Shanny to see if he'll return. If he retires we'll be picking a safety that will start from day 1. Phillips has the best chance to start right away as of right now.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
The main reason we would select Phillips is if Lynch retires and if he doesn't then this is his last year. I read an article saying that Lynch will wait to talk to Shanny to see if he'll return. If he retires we'll be picking a safety that will start from day 1. Phillips has the best chance to start right away as of right now.

Abdullah will take over for John Lynch... we already have a back up for Lynch.... we still need that FS who is good in coverage. Like I said before... I know a lot of people aren't sold on Abdullah, but regardless of what you think about him.... the Broncos reports say that the team likes him a lot. He is in the teams future and present plans... if they like him so much, why on earth would they draft another safety who struggles in coverage?

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Stewart.

If a RB like him is available, does anyone doubt that Shanahan would pick him up?

The man wants to get the running game back to its dominance and stop with this committee stuff. Me too!!

If not I would get Phillips.

slim
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Boss, you would really take Stewart over Clady? Man, I can't see that. We need a LT and a RT. We don't have either right now. Maybe Harris can fill one of those spots, but we still need another.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Boss, you would really take Stewart over Clady? Man, I can't see that. We need a LT and a RT. We don't have either right now. Maybe Harris can fill one of those spots, but we still need another.

I would because I don't feel the Tackle position is strong this year.... Long is considered the best tackle and he isn't that good compared to many 1st round talents in the past. Then if you look at the drop off after Long it doesn't get much better.

This is the best draft pick Denver has had in a long time.... I hope they use it on a guy of impact... not to settle for a position just because of need. I won't be upset if we did take an offensive lineman, but I sure would hate to pass up on the 2nd best runningback in this type of runningback class. The only other guys I have ranked ahead of Stewart are Long, Long, Ellis, Dorsey, and McFadden and they should be off the board.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
KP.........

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
KP.........

ok, can have it... by KP you do mean Kitchen Patrol correct?

lex
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I would because I don't feel the Tackle position is strong this year.... Long is considered the best tackle and he isn't that good compared to many 1st round talents in the past. Then if you look at the drop off after Long it doesn't get much better.

This is the best draft pick Denver has had in a long time.... I hope they use it on a guy of impact... not to settle for a position just because of need. I won't be upset if we did take an offensive lineman, but I sure would hate to pass up on the 2nd best runningback in this type of runningback class. The only other guys I have ranked ahead of Stewart are Long, Long, Ellis, Dorsey, and McFadden and they should be off the board.

I agree with this. And along those lines I wouldnt even mind us trading up for an impact player. If some team would take our 1st this year and next year, it would even be worth it considering that we typically pick around 20.

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I agree with this. And along those lines I wouldnt even mind us trading up for an impact player. If some team would take our 1st this year and next year, it would even be worth it considering that we typically pick around 20.

I agree... with another year under Cutler's belt.... he should only be better, same thing goes with the many other young players we have, plus some of the new veterans have another year in the system. Our team should do good enought that a 1st round pick plus next years 1st round pick wouldn't be too much considering our next years 1st round pick should be closer to a very early 2nd round pick. If we don't feel like trading next years first we still have options to move up considering we have so many picks on the 2nd day plus trade bait with our cornerbacks. A lot of teams are in need of cornerback help.

Adding a massive and promissing DT this year will surely help the D-line and current linebacking core. An improved D-line should help the secondary.

lex
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I agree... with another year under Cutler's belt.... he should only be better, same thing goes with the many other young players we have, plus some of the new veterans have another year in the system. Our team should do good enought that a 1st round pick plus next years 1st round pick wouldn't be too much considering our next years 1st round pick should be closer to a very early 2nd round pick. If we don't feel like trading next years first we still have options to move up considering we have so many picks on the 2nd day plus trade bait with our cornerbacks. A lot of teams are in need of cornerback help.

Adding a massive and promissing DT this year will surely help the D-line and current linebacking core. An improved D-line should help the secondary.

Yeah, its really easy to get caught up in what you would do before you have to take a step back and look at it with in, sort of, a framework of what makes more sense based on the information available to us (which to many is what was said at the end of season presser). I dont feel comfortable at all with Harris at tackle but it seems likely theyll want to give Harris a shot and possibly have Pears as back up. Maybe theyll take a RT in the 2nd-4th? We could use one of those as well but not at 12. You are then left with LB, S, DT, or RB. Im not sold enough on Connor and even less on Rivers..besides there are decent LBs later. Im also not confident about Phillips and Im also not sure he is the player of greatest impact. So then its basically DT or RB that would make it worth moving up in terms of getting an impact player. I think everyone knows Im more in favor of McFadden but Dorsey and Ellis are very solid choices as well. But like I said, Im more sold on McFadden as a player of impact plus the fact that we dedicated practically our entire draft last year makes me want to get a gamebreaking RB who can help Jay tremendously.

There seem to be two schools of thought on RB among Broncos fans. There
are those who think "we should just plug anyone in there and they will be good enough" and then there are those who think, "if a tomato can can get 1200 yards, imagine what an elite RB could do." Im in the latter camp. Running is and has been our biggest strength. We might as well be as good at that as we possibly can.

Scarface
02-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Can you really go wrong drafting a Miami safety (a Miami player maybe, at any position)?

If you reach for them at 12, yes.

mclark
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
If you reach for them at 12, yes.

Let's see how he does at the Combine. He may not be a reach after that.

Fan in Exile
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I always wonder about guys who rise after the combine. It's not like the Combine really gives that much new information about most guys. I also wonder about all the guys who raise their stock because of the post-season pre-draft activities. Take ellis at the senior bowl for one. Before that it looked like he would be around at 12 for us to pick but now I've seen one mock that has him going number one overall because of the senior bowl and a ton of people now have him going top ten and maybe top five. It just seems absurd to me.

I also think that it's mostly the fans who do this and that a good portion of the GM's have learned not to fall in love with guys because of these things. The one serious exception to this would be with the coaching staff for the games. I think when you get a week to work with guys that's going to move them around on the draft board good and bad.

I bring this up because I don't believe that one week and one game is enough to answer the questions about Ellis' motor. The knock on him wasn't skill but a question of desire. Do I think it helped him sure but I think Ellis has a pretty good chance of sliding to us at 12 because the teams ahead of us although they have needs are also going to be looking long and hard at the intangibles because they are working on teams with a lot of personnel issues.

mclark
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I always wonder about guys who rise after the combine. It's not like the Combine really gives that much new information about most guys. I also wonder about all the guys who raise their stock because of the post-season pre-draft activities. Take ellis at the senior bowl for one. Before that it looked like he would be around at 12 for us to pick but now I've seen one mock that has him going number one overall because of the senior bowl and a ton of people now have him going top ten and maybe top five. It just seems absurd to me.

I also think that it's mostly the fans who do this and that a good portion of the GM's have learned not to fall in love with guys because of these things. The one serious exception to this would be with the coaching staff for the games. I think when you get a week to work with guys that's going to move them around on the draft board good and bad.

I bring this up because I don't believe that one week and one game is enough to answer the questions about Ellis' motor. The knock on him wasn't skill but a question of desire. Do I think it helped him sure but I think Ellis has a pretty good chance of sliding to us at 12 because the teams ahead of us although they have needs are also going to be looking long and hard at the intangibles because they are working on teams with a lot of personnel issues.

Ellis's stock jumped after the Rose Bowl first. He and Manauluga (sp?) were standouts. Then he manhandled all the blockers in the Senior Bowl practice and game. I expect Ellis to go top 7.

I think a lot of us have questions about the Combine and why it affects the draft so much. The Combine shows scouts who are the most athletic prospects -- but not the best football players. A few years ago Matt Jones was a second-thought as a running qb coming out of Arkansas; then he became a sleeper pick as a receiver; then after running and jumping at the Combine, he became a first round pick. His career has not been spectacular (I'd give up a 6th round pick for him right now and be happy in fact) but it shows how athleticism can affect the draft.

When Phillips starts running around with all the other safety prospects at the Combine, he might jump right back up to where most people had him a month ago, before he started to fall -- a top 15 pick. Maybe he won't. We'll see. (We can be sure that some players will jump and some will fall based on their Combine numbers.)

Football isn't track and field -- but, all things being equal, speed tends to trump other qualities in the NFL today.

Fan in Exile
02-08-2008, 12:40 PM
It's true that stocks do jump around after the combine, and I'm probably being to generous with the GM's that they've learned their lesson by now. I still think a lot of the jumping around is more with all of the interest from fans then it is from the scouting departments.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but wasn't it after the rose bowl that Ellis jumped from being a late first rounder to a middle first rounder? Then after the senior bowl he jumped to top ten?

There was a site last year that was keeping track of what draft position mock drafts had a player going at. Does anyone else remember that and what site it was?

lex
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
It's true that stocks do jump around after the combine, and I'm probably being to generous with the GM's that they've learned their lesson by now. I still think a lot of the jumping around is more with all of the interest from fans then it is from the scouting departments.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but wasn't it after the rose bowl that Ellis jumped from being a late first rounder to a middle first rounder? Then after the senior bowl he jumped to top ten?

There was a site last year that was keeping track of what draft position mock drafts had a player going at. Does anyone else remember that and what site it was?

No, pretty much all year Ellis has been slotted to go somewhere in the 7-15 range. The senior bowl pretty much shot him up top 5. In his case it was beneficial to be at the senior bowl...for scouts and for him. While its important to also consider that this isnt supposed to be the best year for interior offensive linemen (though it was still some of the better interior OLinemen in the draft), he still was unblockable. And what happens during the course of the season teams run plays that take Ellis out of the play. The senior bowl puts the focus squarely on how well he does his job, which for him is to beat the man in front of him. He did that thoroughly at the senior bowl and you wouldnt always notice as much in a game.

But my concern that kind of goes with what your saying is that in some cases its hard to go by the senior bowl since its a month after the season ends. You dont know how sharp some of the guys are and you might risk misevaluating them if you rely on the senior bowl too heavily.

underrated29
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
didnt i hear that ellis also went against secodn tier o lineman in the senior bowl. If so, his stock might be inflated a bit.

either way i completely agree, you cant just base everything off of a senior bowl or combine, i know most dont, but matt jones is still a good example of that. And shanny said he would be drooling to have had matt there at 16? when we were supposed to pick. (maybe he was picked 16.) I dont know.

When is the combine again? It needs to freaking get here so i can read up on scouting reports and watch some dudes. so i actually know whtat the hell i am talking about.dam