PDA

View Full Version : Kansas hires Turner Gill

Overtime
12-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I have to say this is the worst possible hire Kansas has ever made. Lew Perkins you're a big buffoon, moron, idiotic, incompetent moron with giant elephant ears, and a tyrannosaurus rex pea sized brain.

You replaced a proven winner in Mark Mangino with a proven loser in Turner Gill who posted a 20-30 record in 4 seasons with the Buffalo Bulls....

why did you not hire Ken Sumlin? Jim Leavitt? or someone with some god damn credibility?

Instead you hire a pathetic, mediocre, L-O-S-E-R.

Instead of improving, we'll be deproving and reverting back to the inglorious days of Glenn Mason.

I wish KU cared as much about it's football program as it does it's precious basketball program.

:mad: :tsk::throwrock::protest::rant:

BroncoAV06
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
What don't you hate other then Middle Tenn St?

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4558/haterade.jpg

Don't you have to let it play out before you judge?

BroncoHusker
12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I admit, Gill's overall record doesn't make one believe he is going to be a huge success.

But loser? Turner Gill is not a loser.

Also, consider where Buffalo was before Turner Gill was named HC. In it's first seven seasons, Buffalo won a combined 10 games. In four seasons, Gill won 20 games and a MAC Championship. Buffalo is an extremely hard place to recruit, which in my opinion, makes it all the more impressive.

Give him a chance.

claymore
12-18-2009, 03:07 PM
What don't you hate other then Middle Tenn St?

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4558/haterade.jpg

Don't you have to let it play out before you judge?

Modern Warfare 2. :D

Buff
12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Posted on Sat, Dec. 12, 2009
Turner Gill has to win me over

By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Turner Gill supporters won’t like this column primarily because I have the misfortune of being the one high-profile columnist who religiously follows Mid-American Conference football.

As a black member of the media, I know what I’m expected to do today — shout that Gill’s hiring as Kansas’ new football coach is a bold step for college football mankind, a terrific hire by Lew Perkins and the culmination of Martin Luther King’s dream.

The problem is, unlike most of Gill’s prominent supporters in the media, I’ve actually watched his Buffalo Bulls play numerous times. Never once have I been impressed. Not even on the night when Gill’s Bulls ended my then-12th-ranked Ball State Cardinals’ Cinderella season with a shocking 42-24 victory in the 2008 MAC championship game.

That victory — the product of Ball State’s five-turnover, sleepwalk performance and questionable officiating — turned Gill into Charles Barkley’s favorite candidate to replace Tommy Tuberville at Auburn and the darling of the black press.

No one cared that Ball State dominated the game (30 first downs to 18, 503 yards to 301) and the contest turned on three fluke plays in the third quarter.

With Ball State leading 17-14, the refs robbed Ball State running back Quale Lewis of a 9-yard TD run, marking him out at the 1 despite replay angles that clearly showed Lewis breaking the goal line. Two plays later, Ball State quarterback Nate Davis fumbled the ball while diving into the end zone, and the Bulls scooped up the ball and raced 90-plus yards for a go-ahead TD. On Ball State’s next possession, the Cardinals quickly drove to the Buffalo 15, when Davis inexplicably fumbled again, and the Bulls scored on another long fumble return.

My Cards never recovered.

Look, I’m not a still-bitter fan. I’m an informed one. Most of the people championing Gill as college football’s Tony Dungy just haven’t seen his teams play. I have. It’s not pretty.

In 2008, he won the MAC East with a 5-3 record in a year when the MAC’s four best teams all played in the West. It was the equivalent of winning the Big 12 North in 2009, the difference being Nebraska won the North with a Bo Pelini-crafted defense.

That’s what’s missing when I’ve watched the Bulls. I’ve never seen a strategic advantage. I never got a sense the Bulls did anything special on offense, defense or special teams. A year ago, Gill was in the right place when Ball State melted down and the benefactor of Charles Barkley’s tantrum when Auburn hired Gene Chizik, a white coach who got a prime SEC job after one 2-10 season at Iowa State.

OK, so this has been a long-winded ramble to say that Turner Gill is going to have to win me over. I’m not dancing on rooftops. I’m disappointed Perkins didn’t land Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh. I’m surprised Perkins didn’t hire East Carolina’s Skip Holtz. I’m shocked Houston’s Kevin Sumlin didn’t enthusiastically pursue the Kansas job.

Gill is a reach. His overall record is 20-30. He does have Dungy’s quiet charisma and overpowering integrity. Uh, but Dungy made his football reputation by playing the NFL’s best Cover 2 defense — the Tampa 2. When Dungy led the Colts to the Super Bowl title, his Cover 2 defense carried Peyton Manning’s sputtering offense throughout the playoffs.

Dungy had a strategic advantage. And let’s not forget that Gill’s coaching mentor, Tom Osborne, cultivated and developed a deadly, perfect-for-Nebraska option attack out of the I formation. Father Tom was a great offensive mind.

Gill is a great human being. He allegedly won over Perkins by assembling commitments from some of the top assistant coaches in college football, including offensive coordinator Chuck Long and defensive coordinator Carl Torbush.

Long had a fabulous run as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. He flopped as a head coach at San Diego State. Torbush, the current defensive coordinator at Mississippi State, has a sparkling reputation as a defensive guru, earned while working for Mack Brown at North Carolina. A terrible rash of injuries and impatience undermined Torbush’s three-year run as successor to Mack Brown at UNC.

Two other former head coaches are expected to be on Gill’s first staff at Kansas.

So it appears Gill can certainly recruit qualified coaches. Maybe he’ll be a combination of Mack Brown and Tom Osborne.

A top recruiter who can attract big-time prospects and assistant coaches and a high-character leader and motivator who can heal the wounds Mark Mangino left with players and boosters might be the proper mix for Kansas.

I’ll give Gill two years before offering a strong opinion.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/v-print/story/1627339.html

I read this the other week and thought it was interesting. I don't know much about the guy, but I'd like to see Kansas get back to their losing ways.

Overtime
12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
And that's why I like Whitlock, never one to jump on the bandwagon and drink the public kool-aid. Gill is a loser plain and simple, and the Jayhaws football program will return to it's atrocious sub mediocrity that we endured under Glenn Mason.

hopefully the guy gets hit by a bus before he has the chance to coach a game, cause as a Kansas fan, that's the best we can hope for.

jhildebrand
12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I have to say this is the worst possible hire Kansas has ever made. Lew Perkins you're a big buffoon, moron, idiotic, incompetent moron with giant elephant ears, and a tyrannosaurus rex pea sized brain.

You replaced a proven winner in Mark Mangino with a proven loser in Turner Gill who posted a 20-30 record in 4 seasons with the Buffalo Bulls....

why did you not hire Ken Sumlin? Jim Leavitt? or someone with some god damn credibility?

Instead you hire a pathetic, mediocre, L-O-S-E-R.

Instead of improving, we'll be deproving and reverting back to the inglorious days of Glenn Mason.

I wish KU cared as much about it's football program as it does it's precious basketball program.

:mad: :tsk::throwrock::protest::rant:

I thought KU would make a run at Barnett. It would have been a wise move on their part. He knows Big 12 football and would be able to step in and compete right away. Not to mention he could recruit.

I think Gill will do pretty well overall.

It could be worse, you could be CU the new Baylor!

BroncoWave
12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
hopefully the guy gets hit by a bus before he has the chance to coach a game, cause as a Kansas fan, that's the best we can hope for.

Wow, you are classy. :rolleyes:

I sure hope the majority of your fanbase isn't like you because if so, Gill deserves much better than Kansas.

Weren't you also one of the ones driving the "McDumbass" bandwagon in the offseason?

You sure are good as giving new coaches a chance! /sacrasm

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-19-2009, 06:28 PM
At least you've got Todd Reesing for another season!

Oh wait...

Buff
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
At least you've got Todd Reesing for another season!

Oh wait...

And Dezmon Briscoe is only a junior so he'll be around....

Err...

Buff
12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I thought KU would make a run at Barnett. It would have been a wise move on their part. He knows Big 12 football and would be able to step in and compete right away. Not to mention he could recruit.

I think Gill will do pretty well overall.

It could be worse, you could be CU the new Baylor!

When did KU win a football national championship? I can't remember.

jhildebrand
12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
When did KU win a football national championship? I can't remember.

Trophy polishing CU's 1/2 share of the 90 National title eh? Further proof of just how far Hawk has drug this program.

Name me one other team who has won or had a share of the national championship that is in as much disarray!

The point is CU should still be relevant but they have found a way to be certain they aren't!

What makes it worse is all the crying Hawk does.

So what that Kansas hasn't won a national title. At least they aren't content resting on their laurels of one half share of a national title and are actually doing something about it!

Buff
12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Trophy polishing CU's 1/2 share of the 90 National title eh? Further proof of just how far Hawk has drug this program.

Name me one other team who has won or had a share of the national championship that is in as much disarray!

The point is CU should still be relevant but they have found a way to be certain they aren't!

What makes it worse is all the crying Hawk does.

So what that Kansas hasn't won a national title. At least they aren't content resting on their laurels of one half share of a national title and are actually doing something about it!

I'm as disappointed as anyone with Hawkins. But you are a Kansas fan for crying out loud. Let's not forget that Kansas lost to CU this year, and trails the overall series to CU 41-24-3.... I would bend over and take it from a Texas fan or an OU fan, or even a Nebraska fan... But not KU.

You want to talk about relevant programs and split championships? The entire history of your program can all be boiled down to one Cinderella season... When was the last time Kansas even won the Big 12 North? Hint: Never. CU has at least been on the precipice of a BCS games in multiple years this decade. We've got 2 Orange Bowl victories to match your one.

So before you, Kansas fan, go diminishing CU's accomplishments--let's see you win something yourself first.

BroncoWave
12-19-2009, 08:25 PM
:pop2:

BroncoHusker
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't understand the hatred for the guy before he's even coached a spring game.

Buffalo was a nothing before he came in, and in three seasons he won a conference title. Not saying he's the right hire for KU, but I think he may end up being pretty good. As a Nebraska fan, I am a bit nervous to see what he does there because I think he is a very good coach.

After seeing a lot of KU fans reactions, I can only hope he is very successful and bolts for a better program. I realize it's a just a vocal minority, but talk about no class.

TXBRONC
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
And that's why I like Whitlock, never one to jump on the bandwagon and drink the public kool-aid. Gill is a loser plain and simple, and the Jayhaws football program will return to it's atrocious sub mediocrity that we endured under Glenn Mason.

Well this shows a lack of maturity. :tsk:

Overtime
12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Wow, you are classy. :rolleyes:

I sure hope the majority of your fanbase isn't like you because if so, Gill deserves much better than Kansas.

Weren't you also one of the ones driving the "McDumbass" bandwagon in the offseason?

You sure are good as giving new coaches a chance! /sacrasm

no I wasn't driving the McDumbass bandwagon, I actually liked the hire, but I did question his handling of the Jay Cutler saga.

I don't understand the hatred for the guy before he's even coached a spring game.

Buffalo was a nothing before he came in, and in three seasons he won a conference title. Not saying he's the right hire for KU, but I think he may end up being pretty good. As a Nebraska fan, I am a bit nervous to see what he does there because I think he is a very good coach.

After seeing a lot of KU fans reactions, I can only hope he is very successful and bolts for a better program. I realize it's a just a vocal minority, but talk about no class.

and I don't understand why you hire a guy who has a losing record? especially if you claim you want to win. :confused: doesn't make any sense to me, and it sure as hell isn't rocket science.

Ken Sumlin would have been a much better choice.

Mark my words, Turner will stink it up in Lawrence.

jhildebrand
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm as disappointed as anyone with Hawkins. But you are a Kansas fan for crying out loud. Let's not forget that Kansas lost to CU this year, and trails the overall series to CU 41-24-3.... I would bend over and take it from a Texas fan or an OU fan, or even a Nebraska fan... But not KU.

You want to talk about relevant programs and split championships? The entire history of your program can all be boiled down to one Cinderella season... When was the last time Kansas even won the Big 12 North? Hint: Never. CU has at least been on the precipice of a BCS games in multiple years this decade. We've got 2 Orange Bowl victories to match your one.

So before you, Kansas fan, go diminishing CU's accomplishments--let's see you win something yourself first.

:lol: You made the number one mistake: YOU ASSUMED I am a KU fan!I am a CU fan! I went to CU. By the way, I would take crap from anybody before I would Nebraska as would 99.999995% of CU fans.

Buff
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
:lol: You made the number one mistake: YOU ASSUMED I am a KU fan!I am a CU fan! I went to CU. By the way, I would take crap from anybody before I would Nebraska as would 99.999995% of CU fans.

Well then act like one for crying out loud. What yr did you graduate?

I hate where Hawk has this program going as much as the next guy, but I'm not completely abandoning ship.

And I don't actually like to take crap from anyone--much less hated Nebraska fans--but sometimes when a team has dominated you so much over an extended period of time you don't have much to say other than "Oh yeah, well you suck!" And that argument loses its momentum easily.

So I was just pointing out that I at least have a leg to stand on when arguing with Jayhawk fans.

jhildebrand
12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Well then act like one for crying out loud. What yr did you graduate?

I hate where Hawk has this program going as much as the next guy, but I'm not completely abandoning ship.

And I don't actually like to take crap from anyone--much less hated Nebraska fans--but sometimes when a team has dominated you so much over an extended period of time you don't have much to say other than "Oh yeah, well you suck!" And that argument loses its momentum easily.

So I was just pointing out that I at least have a leg to stand on when arguing with Jayhawk fans.

I hear you, Buff. The problem here is Mangino had a pretty decent record. KU only used the BS as a reason to fire him with cause and to get out of his contract. Either way, it was pretty clear they were going to make a change. At least they aren't satisfied being just a basketball school. They were willing to take a chance in hopes of improving. I think it would have served them well to at least look at Barnett but we all know he has been UNFAIRLY blackballed. IMO, Gill will be pretty good for them. While we may have our national championship it is two decades old at this point an CU seems comfortable resting on that. You would think if any team was comfortable being mediocre it would be the team that hasn't had a taste of a National Championship! Furthermore, CU's national championship in conjunction with the campus setting and proximity should make them the class of the north when it comes to recruiting.

For me, my issue with CU is Hawk is 15-34. Each year the team looks worse. He has thrown KIDS under the bus. He is now using excuses that he said he wouldnt when he took the job i.e. the program was burned to the ground, cant recruit to boulder, the budget is too small. We all know it is BS.

Finally, we all know paying 3 Million to dump him is costly. However, keeping him will cost MUCH MORE in the end. Even if CU could make the Holiday Bowl it would more than make up for that money. I just can't criticise a program who wants to get better and is willing to get rid of a winnning coach when mine is content with 15-34.