PDA

View Full Version : Clemens caught lieing under oath?

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Report: McNamee gives vials, syringes, gauze pads to investigators

Former personal trainer Brian McNamee has turned physical evidence that he believes will show Roger Clemens used performance-enhancing drugs over to federal investigators, his attorneys told the New York Daily News.

"This is evidence the government has that we believe will corroborate Brian in every significant way," McNamee lawyer Earl Ward told the Daily News.

The lawyers wouldn't discuss what the evidence is, but a source told the Daily News that McNamee gave vials with traces of steroids and human growth hormone, as well as blood-stained syringes and gauze pads that might contain Clemens' DNA, to the Justice Department's BALCO investigators.

The evidence has been sent to a lab for testing, and prosecutors might seek a court order for a DNA sample from Clemens if the evidence contains traces of drugs and blood, the Daily News reported.

McNamee kept the vials, gauze pads and syringes from the 2000 and 2001 seasons because he feared Clemens would deny using performance-enhancing drugs, the source told the Daily News.

"We will provide Congress with corroborative physical evidence that takes this case out of the he-said, she-said purview," another McNamee attorney, Richard Emery, told the Daily News. "From our point of view, this corroborates that Brian told the truth from Day One and Clemens has not."

Other witnesses may also come forward with information that corroborates McNamee's, the source told the Daily News.

Clemens gave a sworn deposition for about five hours to congressional lawyers behind closed doors Tuesday, addressing his former personal trainer's allegations. And this time, Clemens was under oath.

"I just want to thank the committee, the staff that I just met with. They were very courteous," the seven-time Cy Young Award winner said, wearing a pinstriped gray suit instead of a pinstriped New York Yankees uniform. "It was great to be able to tell them what I've been saying all along -- that I've never used steroids or growth hormone."

Tuesday's deposition was the first time Clemens faced legal risk if he were to make false statements.

In the 1½ months since former Senate majority leader George Mitchell released his report on drug use in baseball, Clemens strongly and repeatedly denied what McNamee said -- in statements by his lawyers, in a written statement, in a video statement, during a taped TV interview and in a live news conference.

Clemens' private testimony to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform came one day after his Yankees teammate and workout partner, Andy Pettitte, gave a deposition to committee staff for 2½ hours. Both players' interviews were preparation for a Feb. 13 public hearing expected to focus on McNamee's allegations in the Mitchell report that he injected Clemens more than a dozen times with human growth hormone and steroids in 1998, 2000 and 2001.

Clemens acknowledged he received injections from McNamee, but he said they were for vitamin B-12 and the painkiller lidocaine. His repeated rejection of contents in the Mitchell report drew Congress' attention.

Clemens, Pettitte and McNamee all are slated to testify Feb. 13.

McNamee will discuss his evidence with the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Thursday, when he is interviewed by its attorneys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3233878

BigDaddyBronco
02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Clemens - "D'oh"

I wonder if they can get a DNA sample from Clemens to match against the bloody gauze pads. Probably not, so it will not really prove anything more that McNamee had steriods.

Bonds is probably enjoying the fact that his name hasn't been brought up for a few months now.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Clemens is a pompous arrogant bitch.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Probably not? It's a congressional hearing, a simple court order and viola, Clemens' DNA available for comparison. Shortly thereafter, Roger CLemens goes to prison, not for using steroids, but for perjury. When will these people learn, you can NOT lie under oath? Ask Martha Stewart.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Just admit it Rodger...

BigDaddyBronco
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Probably not? It's a congressional hearing, a simple court order and viola, Clemens' DNA available for comparison. Shortly thereafter, Roger CLemens goes to prison, not for using steroids, but for perjury. When will these people learn, you can NOT lie under oath? Ask Martha Stewart.
Yea, but Congress isn't the courts. I don't think it's that easy in a congressional hearing. Now a federal investigation is a different matter.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I think it's easier. Congressional hearings don't like when people lie. They, in fact, will go out of their way to set examples to all those that will come afterwards. If they can find DNA on those items, he will have to provide a sample and if it's his, he is totally screwed.

CoachChaz
02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
It's still speculation either way. The DNA on the needles could be from legitimate B12 shots and it would simply be one person's word against another's. I'm not defending Clemens, but unless there is a paper trail of some sort, there really isn't any damning evidence that can't be disputed.

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
It's still speculation either way. The DNA on the needles could be from legitimate B12 shots and it would simply be one person's word against another's. I'm not defending Clemens, but unless there is a paper trail of some sort, there really isn't any damning evidence that can't be disputed.

You're right Coach. Certainly, this evidence hasn't been handled like evidence form a normal crime scene, and would not be admitted in a courtroom most likely. However, in the courtroom of public opinion it could still be very damning.

I just can't figure out why McNamee was holding onto all this material.

CoachChaz
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
You're right Coach. Certainly, this evidence hasn't been handled like evidence form a normal crime scene, and would not be admitted in a courtroom most likely. However, in the courtroom of public opinion it could still be very damning.

He says he held it because he knew one day Roger would deny it. SOunds too pre-planned to me

MOtorboat
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
He says he held it because he knew one day Roger would deny it. SOunds too pre-planned to me

Sounds awfully pre-planned to me...

Broncolingus
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
There are steriods in baseball?

What?

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
There are steriods in baseball?

What?

And Roger Clemens is an *******? You could knock me over with a feather right now.

Broncolingus
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
And Roger Clemens is an *******? You could knock me over with a feather right now.

He HAS always seemed like such a humble, low-key, non-arrogant dude hasn't he?

BigDaddyBronco
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds awfully pre-planned to me...
Maybe McNamee knew that if Clemens ever got busted he would him sell him out as quick as he could so he wanted to protect himself a bit.

Monica Lewinsky and the blue dress ring a bell.

Don't know if I care either way. Never a fan of Clemens, Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, etc. anyway.

MOtorboat
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Anyone else see McNamee's Lawyers' press conference?

"He kept the evidence, because he knew Roger Clemens was not trustworthy. He kept the evidence because if Roger was going to drag his name through the mud, Roger was going down with him."

Wait a minute...didn't your client start all this?

Nomad
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM

IMO, McNamee may be smarter than what credit people give him. He probably knew it was wrong but Clemens insisted and McNamee saved the items to covered his rearend for a "just-in-case" scenerio like what's happening now. Either Clemens is Barry Bonds twin when it comes to arrogance and being truthful or McNamee is digging himself a deeper hole with falsifying evidence. I give McNamee the benefit of the doubt!!!

Nomad
02-08-2008, 09:35 AM

"He kept the evidence, because he knew Roger Clemens was not trustworthy. He kept the evidence because if Roger was going to drag his name through the mud, Roger was going down with him."

Didn't see this post! But I agree with the lawyer.

What else was McNamee supposed to do, keep his mouth shut and lie to the government! At least Petitite was man enough to admit his guilt!

slim
02-13-2008, 11:30 PM

No, Clemens started it by juicing...can't expect the guy to lie to the Feds and go to jail just because Clemens wanted to juice.

broncosfanscott
02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
IMO, McNamee may be smarter than what credit people give him. He probably knew it was wrong but Clemens insisted and McNamee saved the items to covered his rearend for a "just-in-case" scenerio like what's happening now. Either Clemens is Barry Bonds twin when it comes to arrogance and being truthful or McNamee is digging himself a deeper hole with falsifying evidence. I give McNamee the benefit of the doubt!!!

The more that comes out makes McNamee look more credible and Clemens seems to be digging himself a hole everytime he talks. There are too many inconsistancies and contradictions from several people in relation to what Clemens has said to think this is a misunderstanding.

BroncoJoe
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
That "evidence" won't hold up, IMO. It's been in his basement? Please. It would be easily discredited by Clemmens' attorneys as there is no chain of custody.

I still think he's lying. Just not sure who, and frankly don't really care.

broncosfanscott
02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
That "evidence" won't hold up, IMO. It's been in his basement? Please. It would be easily discredited by Clemmens' attorneys as there is no chain of custody.

I still think he's lying. Just not sure who, and frankly don't really care.

And since it happened before the league was testing for any of these things, I really don't care either. I find all these hearing too funny. The 4 1/2 hours didn't resolve anything and was a complete waste of time to try and find out what happened 10 years ago. This is a waste of our taxpaying dollars and a total joke.

OB
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
And since it happened before the league was testing for any of these things, I really don't care either. I find all these hearing too funny. The 4 1/2 hours didn't resolve anything and was a complete waste of time to try and find out what happened 10 years ago. This is a waste of our taxpaying dollars and a total joke.

CSPAN replayed it last night - i saw like the last hour -

Im a Clemens fan - so im bias - I havent read the Mitchell report (409 pages :eek: ) But ex Sen Mitchell works for the Red sox - what up with that?

Shouldnt a third party independent of baseball be doing the investigation and shouldnt the investigation be geared towards steroid/HGH use once they became illegal - not about their usage before baseball didnt care

But my favorite part was when the one senator called McNamee (an ex cop who got his PhD via the internet/mail :rolleyes: ) a drug dealer and Mc was like - whatver and the Sen was like did or did you not sell/administer illegal drugs - Mc - Yes - Sen - then youre a drug dealer :lol:

And then the old lady telling everyone what a total waste of time this was for them and they should be doing what they are paid to do - overseeing the government spending - she's like our govt is spending a million dollars (a day a minute or something) and thats what we need to be looking into :beer:

This whole thing seems like a witch hunt - that report never should have named names if its purpose was solely to educate MLB on steroids, their usage and their effects - let the MLB and MLBPA look into who should be punished

broncosfanscott
02-18-2008, 11:34 PM
MLB and Selig have royally screwed up and are trying to make up for it. The problem is that it is too late.

An independant party should be conducting the tests of the players, which MLB won't do. I mean I have heard that players know ahead of time that a test is coming up, therefore it is easy to get around the test.