PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' defense started too slowly vs. Colts

Denver Native (Carol)
12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14006446

In retrospect, the Broncos' strategy to be aggressive against Colts quarterback Peyton Manning would have worked far better if the defense simply had settled down more quickly, according to Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

The Broncos stifled Manning for more than half the game Sunday. In the second and third quarters combined, Manning completed only 6-of-18 passes for 54 yards to go with one touchdown and three interceptions, but the Colts opened the game by scoring 21 points in just more than 22 minutes.

"We typically like to be aggressive in the games we play defensively," Nolan said. "Peyton is very good, and he was able to make some throws on a couple things we wanted to show and see what he would do with them. And he did a nice job, as you would expect.

"But you can't sit back and be cautious with Peyton, because if you are, he gets what he wants that way if you're just going to try to bend, don't break. You have to prepare well for him, because I don't know if there's anyone better as far as studying what you do, the way it looks and things."

Wait and see.

Raiders quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee and partially tore the MCL in his right knee last Sunday against Washington, still wants to play against the Broncos this weekend. Raiders coach Tom Cable said he likely wouldn't make a decision to play Gradkowski or the struggling JaMarcus Russell in Denver until later in the week.

Russell, who was benched four weeks ago, was sacked six times, fumbled and threw an interception in a half of work against the Redskins on Sunday. Gradkowski has thrown six touchdown passes in his four starts. Russell threw two in his nine.

Footnotes.

After his 21-catch game Sunday, Brandon Marshall ranks third in the NFL with 86 receptions. He's also ninth in yards (1,008) and tied for fourth in touchdown catches (nine). . . . With the fans' portion of Pro Bowl voting set to end Monday, cornerback Champ Bailey is the only Denver player among the leaders in votes at the respective positions. Broncos pass rusher Elvis Dumervil leads the league with 15 sacks, but the Colts' Dwight Freeney leads AFC defensive ends in votes, and the Steelers' James Harrison leads at outside linebacker. Fans can vote at NFL.com.

Superchop 7
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
It happens.....Manning is that good.

The POINT is, we started shutting them down.

And that is a very good thing.

missingnumber7
12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Left to many points on the field.

weazel
12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
the D did a good enough job to win that game. The offense didn't do its job. You can't win the turnover battle and not get points.

missingnumber7
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
the D did a good enough job to win that game. The offense didn't do its job. You can't win the turnover battle and not get points.

1 FG, a red zone int, and run out of clock at the half...definately not cutting it.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
To the author of that article, thanks for the newsflash Tom Brokaw!

broncofaninfla
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
We lost a winnable game. Mcd blames it on lack of execution, I can't help but blame play calling and personell decisions. Heopfully our rookie HC learns from this and we become a better team as a result.

missingnumber7
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
We lost a winnable game. Mcd blames it on lack of execution, I can't help but blame play calling and personell decisions. Heopfully our rookie HC learns from this and we become a better team as a result.

His running calls are predictable and when the line is stacked and the QB doesn't have many options for audibles because of single back sets on 4th and short I would say someone forgot to read the 4th and Short for dummies.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM

If we make a FG and don't throw a pick in the red zone, we probably win the game. You can blame it on playcalling all you want but if our PLAYERS execute those 2 plays better, that's 10 points on the board and probably a win.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
If we make a FG and don't throw a pick in the red zone, we probably win the game. You can blame it on playcalling all you want but if our PLAYERS execute those 2 plays better, that's 10 points on the board and probably a win.

Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Running out of the shotgun is a fail, our short yardage packages are a fail and turning the ball over on downs is a fail.

missingnumber7
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Running out of the shotgun is a fail, our short yardage packages are a fail and turning the ball over on downs is a fail.

Use of a FB needs to be improved. We are running out of a single back system way to often. This OL is not set up to operate this way. I know that McD's system probably uses a lot of singleback, however, we are not properly staffed for that at this time. And yes, Larsen went down with an injury at the beginning of the game, but common. Hillis can lead block, shoot I think even Graham can even block up the middle. There are lots of different options.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM

You know I'm right though. If Orton throws a better pass to Marshall and Prater makes that FG, we score 10 more points and likely win. You can call out playcalling all you want but you can't argue that those 2 plays we missed could have very well turned the game around in our favor.

Buff
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
You know I'm right though. If Orton throws a better pass to Marshall and Prater makes that FG, we score 10 more points and likely win. You can call out playcalling all you want but you can't argue that those 2 plays we missed could have very well turned the game around in our favor.

Disagree. The offense was out of rhythm all day. Offensive line play was a disaster. Peyton would have found a way to win the game after taking a 21-0 lead.

claymore
12-16-2009, 04:30 PM

I think that ball slipped out of his hand. He looked like he was chucking a spear, and it only went 25 yards.

NightTrainLayne
12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I think that ball slipped out of his hand. He looked like he was chucking a spear, and it only went 25 yards.

Didn't he get hit right at or right after the release. He had someone right in his face if my memory of the play is correct.

claymore
12-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Didn't he get hit right at or right after the release. He had someone right in his face if my memory of the play is correct.I will find it for you. It was double coverage, about five yards short with good protection.

But that could be my memory just htiin on him.

BRB

claymore
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I will find it for you. It was double coverage, about five yards short with good protection.

But that could be my memory just htiin on him.

BRB
Marshall Slipped, but it would have taken an amazing effort by Marshall to wrestle thru the 2 DB's to get it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814ec554/Tim-Jennings-interception

rcsodak
12-16-2009, 11:28 PM
What's new?

Name an early game where Denver DOESN'T suck to begin with.

Lonestar
12-16-2009, 11:41 PM

a Chance we would have won but I think Buff might be on something here..

Disagree. The offense was out of rhythm all day. Offensive line play was a disaster. Peyton would have found a way to win the game after taking a 21-0 lead.

I suspect had we been closer manning may have kicked some ass earlier in the game enough to put it away.. that last quarter march was one of his winning drives just one of many..

they needed to eat the clock up and keep the ball from us and that is what he did..

I know lots of folks here hate the guy but you have to admit he knows how to win..

rcsodak
12-16-2009, 11:49 PM
a Chance we would have won but I think Buff might be on something here..
I suspect had we been closer manning may have kicked some ass earlier in the game enough to put it away.. that last quarter march was one of his winning drives just one of many..

they needed to eat the clock up and keep the ball from us and that is what he did..

I know lots of folks here hate the guy but you have to admit he knows how to win..
PM scores only when he needs to.

He plays from in front better than anybody.

Then he coasts.

And should they need to score late? He does it.

The ONLY way to beat PM, is to take away part of his offense.

Denver couldn't stop their run, and for a couple qtrs, DID slow down his pass game (with help from his teammates).