PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Frye to start for the Raiders

broncofaninfla
12-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Just got the text- Charlie Frye to start for the Raiders this weekend.

Mike
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Wonder what JaMarcus Ruffles thinks about this? :lol:

CoachChaz
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Bad part is...anyone other than Russell immediately makes Oakland a tougher opponent

underrated29
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
holy balls. they have frye too?

fatty
gradkowski
jp losman
frye

dont they have another one also?

but yes this sucks. This does make Oakland a lot better and tougher. We need to put frye in the dirt, so we can get the fatty back out there for more INTs and Sacks.

broncofaninfla
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I was hoping we'd see Russell again. You know Frye is going to do his best to shine to show he is not only better than Russell (not saying much) but to show he can play in this league.

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Oakland starting Frye doesn't give Denver much tape to work with. At all. Broncos better be sharp on Sunday or we could drop one.

Northman
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Wonder what JaMarcus Ruffles thinks about this? :lol:

Yea, i was just wondering the same thing. Pay that ton of fun that much money to sit the bench? Ouch.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
:lol: at people being worried about Frye. Let me put it this way, if a Charlie Frye led Raiders team beats us at home, we don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway. Needless to say though, he doesn't exactly strike any fear in me.

Even if he is better than Russell, he is still the worst QB we have played all year other than Russell. Plus, after coming off a week having to face Peyton Manning, Frye will be a walk in the park.

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
:lol: at people being worried about Frye. Let me put it this way, if a Charlie Frye led Raiders team beats us at home, we don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway. Needless to say though, he doesn't exactly strike any fear in me.

Even if he is better than Russell, he is still the worst QB we have played all year other than Russell. Plus, after coming off a week having to face Peyton Manning, Frye will be a walk in the park.

You should rewatch the Redskins game. Our offense isn't exactly stellar at the moment right now either, and if something happens to Orton early, we could quite concievably go the rest of the game without even getting a first down.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
You should rewatch the Redskins game. Our offense isn't exactly stellar at the moment right now either, and if something happens to Orton early, we could quite concievably go the rest of the game without even getting a first down.

What about the Redskins game? Campbell is better than Frye and like you said, Orton got hurt in that game. Plus, the Redskins have been playing a LOT better over the last month and a half. Obviously we could lose if Orton gets hurt again, but assuming health, there is no reason we should lose this game.

honz
12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Jason Campbell is actually a very solid QB IMO.

rationalfan
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
my memories of charlie frye at QB for cleveland and seattle draw similarities to chris simms at QB for the broncos. every pass looked like a duck.

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
What about the Redskins game? Campbell is better than Frye and like you said, Orton got hurt in that game. Plus, the Redskins have been playing a LOT better over the last month and a half. Obviously we could lose if Orton gets hurt again, but assuming health, there is no reason we should lose this game.

Let's not kid ourselves. Oakland isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means, but they aren't exactly St Louis Rams bad. Just like the Redskins. Who beat us without their 2 best offensive weapons.

Dortoh
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow looks like alot of jokes with the punch line "Ryan Leaf" will have to be reworded.

Dortoh
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Long Live AL DAVIS

http://archive.profootballtalk.com/Davis8Ball.jpg

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Let's not kid ourselves. Oakland isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means, but they aren't exactly St Louis Rams bad. Just like the Redskins. Who beat us without their 2 best offensive weapons.

We were on the road against the Redskins and we are inept without Orton. Being at home and assuming Orton plays the whole game, there is no reason to think we will lose. I think many of our fans are worrying way to much about this game.

slim
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Not sure why this would surprise anyone...at least not anyone that has seen that tub-o-goo play.

Lonestar
12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
hey on any given Sunday even the worst teams can pull one out..

they have alot of talent on the team from drafting in the top ten almost the last decade..

plus they have brought in alot of talent on D ..

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
We were on the road against the Redskins and we are inept without Orton. Being at home and assuming Orton plays the whole game, there is no reason to think we will lose. I think many of our fans are worrying way to much about this game.

I don't think anyone's worried about the game. I think there are plenty that know what's capable if we don't come to play. We will get worked, even by Oakland if that happens.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think anyone's worried about the game. I think there are plenty that know what's capable if we don't come to play. We will get worked, even by Oakland if that happens.

The only game this season that I think we just didn't come to play was SD a few weeks ago. If we can just avoid that kind of game again, we should be fine. I doubt they've forgotten what happened when they were 8-5 last season so that should serve as some sort of motivation not to lay another egg this season.

silkamilkamonico
12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
The only game this season that I think we just didn't come to play was SD a few weeks ago. If we can just avoid that kind of game again, we should be fine. I doubt they've forgotten what happened when they were 8-5 last season so that should serve as some sort of motivation not to lay another egg this season.

We didn't come to play against Washington, and watched their dreadful offense minues their best 2 weapons in Portis and Cooley walk all over us throughout the course of that game. We also got absolutely crushed, and manhandled, by both Pittsburgh and Baltimore, who both look average at best.

Timmy!
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh noez!!

Not Charlie Frye!

:tremble:

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 04:50 PM
We didn't come to play against Washington, and watched their dreadful offense minues their best 2 weapons in Portis and Cooley walk all over us throughout the course of that game. We also got absolutely crushed, and manhandled, by both Pittsburgh and Baltimore, who both look average at best.

I'll give you Washington, although we would have beaten them with Orton and early games on the east coast are always tough. As for Baltimore and Pitt, we were in both of those games until the 4th quarter when they got away from us late. And it's unfair to mention how Pitt is playing now because when we played them they had Polamalu and were playing their best football of the season.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh noez!!

Not Charlie Frye!

:tremble:

This.

If we can pick off Manning 3 times (granted 2 of them were on tips) I cannot wait to see what we do to Frye.

Lonestar
12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
This.

If we can pick off Manning 3 times (granted 2 of them were on tips) I cannot wait to see what we do to Frye.

perhaps we get a few tips on him also.. can't be any harder than tipping Manning..

underrated29
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Id rather just sack the living piss out of him. But Ints are even better. Tips- im very happy with but i like the other two options better.

The Glue Factory
12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
perhaps we get a few tips on him also.. can't be any harder than tipping Manning..

And massively easier than tipping a cow! :lol:

Alright, alright. I'll wander back to left field now. :marchmellow:

NorthernLights
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
CNN has already declared this game and is projecting Denver a 30+ point victory. Fox News has not yet declared this game yet but is expected to in the next day.

Stick a fork in the Raiders, they're done.

Ravage!!!
12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Jason Campbell is actually a very solid QB IMO.

He's awful... seriously.. campbell is awful

EastCoastBronco
12-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I smell a trap...

Ravage!!!
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
This.

I understand what you are saying, but you DO realize this makes no sense, right?

I mean... if this were true, then every team, every week, would "prepare" for Manning. Then, going by your logic, every other QB in the NFL would simply be very easy.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
The Raiders just picked up JP Losman out of the UFL, he played for the sentinals. I watched all the UFL games this year, he's actually kind of like a less accurate Orton.

slim
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I smell a trap...

No, that is me. I had Mexican for lunch.

Dean
12-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't see them airing the ball out much. IMO there will be no multi-sack, multi-interception games but the front seven better be ready for 40+ rushing plays. :defense:

Shazam!
12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't believe some people are concerned about Charlie friggin' Frye. And some say Orton sucks. What a joke.

All points to a very convincing Broncos win to me.

BroncoWave
12-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I can't believe some people are concerned about Charlie friggin' Frye. And some say Orton sucks. What a joke.

All points to a very convincing Broncos win to me.

Agreed. He's a career backup/third stringer for a reason. He's not any good. If we're the playoff team that we've played like for most of the season, we will have no trouble with this game.

getlynched47
12-17-2009, 12:40 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/Sub3/charlie-frye275.jpg

"I'm the man, and you KNOW IT!!! Bow down biatch"

BroncoTech
12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
I got stuck watching every pre-season game of the faiders and their QB staff looked better then ours. I wouldn't shine them off that easy. They had a journey level QB 2 weeks ago when they handed Pittsburgh a lose so anything can happen. They are beat up on the oline so maybe we'll get pressure, they have to throw the ball to beat us. Their running game is sub par.

Shazam!
12-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Pitt lost to Cleveland. Cleveland. Denver met Pitt at the wrong time before their free fall. Oakland beating them is not a gauge of how good they are, sorry.

They're going to get stomped if Grabs can't go.

You can't go by QB performance in preseason either.

Northman
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Never underestimate any team. Ever. If Denver does there homework and executes the plan given to them they should win easily. If they go in and act like some of the people on this board and dont think they have to earn it they will be in for a huge disappointment. I dont care if it was Ryan Leaf back there, never underestimate your opponent. You would think that the last few years would of taught some people about that.

Nomad
12-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Never underestimate any team. Ever. If Denver does there homework and executes the plan given to them they should win easily. If they go in and act like some of the people on this board and dont think they have to earn it they will be in for a huge disappointment. I dont care if it was Ryan Leaf back there, never underestimate your opponent. You would think that the last few years would of taught some people about that.

Well said as always Northman!! I don't believe in calling division games trap games but last year we had the same attitude and Oakland came in and put an ass whoopin on us. Yeah, yeah different team but it's basically the same scenerio, Denver needs every win they can get from here on out and the Raiders would love to be one of the spoilers again!! Hopefully the 'good' BRONCOS team shows up and scores more than 20. Aren't the BRONCOS undefeated when they score over 20 points?

BRONCOS 23 Raiders 20

You know when I read this yesterday, I was thinking of Charlie Batch who I believe still plays for the Steelers. I don't recall who Charlie Frye is!!

Northman
12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Well said as always Northman!! I don't believe in calling division games trap games but last year we had the same attitude and Oakland came in and put an ass whoopin on us. Yeah, yeah different team but it's basically the same scenerio, Denver needs every win they can get from here on out and the Raiders would love to be one of the spoilers again!! Hopefully the 'good' BRONCOS team shows up and scores more than 20. Aren't the BRONCOS undefeated when they score over 20 points?

BRONCOS 23 Raiders 20

You know when I read this yesterday, I was thinking of Charlie Batch who I believe still plays for the Steelers. I don't recall who Charlie Frye is!!

Frye had played for Cleveland and Seattle. He played sparingly for both teams posting a 16-25 TD/INT ratio. But, his completion percentage is around 70% which isnt totally horrible. Never the less, he is mobile (or was) and can be equally as dangerous as Grabowski if given ample time to throw. Our biggest advantage is that he is coming in brand new with no real chemistry built up yet so i hope we take advantage of that and confuse him with different blitz schemes. And we need to be sure to put the ball in the endzone so that we can take any fight out of them early.

EastCoastBronco
12-17-2009, 07:44 AM

BRONCOS 23 Raiders 20

I think he was in Seattle last year. Behind Hasselbeck and Wallace.
I'll second (or third) what Northman said. Until we consistently beat down the basement dwellers in this league, I will always be apprehensive going into said games. The past few years of Broncos football has conditioned me to be that way. We did a great job against KC this year and if we can do the same to them again, as well as beatdown Oakland this week, I will start being less skittish when it comes to $hit teams.

EastCoastBronco
12-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Just to reinforce my line of thinking. Here's how you are supposed to deal with basement dwellers. (I rifled this from the Cold Hard Football Facts Power Rankings...)

"9. BALTIMORE (7-6). Last week: 48-3 win vs. Detroit. The Ravens’ schedule was the toughest in the league this year, but when they get a break they take it. In their four games against bad teams (KC, Cleveland twice, Detroit), they went 4-0 and outscored the bottom-feeders badly."

powderaddict
12-17-2009, 08:29 AM
The last game Fry's started, he was so bad he didn't even get benched - they kicked him off the team. Cleveland sent him packing. THEY CUT HIM OUTRIGHT.

Any given Sunday, heck even jamarcus beat the Eagles, but Fry's is probably the 2nd worst At Denver's has faced all year, behind Russell. With a bad oline, 1 mediocre receiver, Fry's is going to have a rough day.

If Clady can own Seymore like last time they played, it's going to be a long, long day for the raiders.

Dirk
12-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I have no doubt that the Broncos will smoke the Raiders this week. However, I hope the Broncos don't go into this game too over confident and look past them to the Eagles. I doubt that McD would allow that, but you never know.

BroncoWave
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM

I doubt posters on a message board underestimating a team is going to translate to the actual team. I have enough confidence in the way McD prepares this team not to be worried about losing to the Raiders this week.

EastCoastBronco
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I doubt posters on a message board underestimating a team is going to translate to the actual team. I have enough confidence in the way McD prepares this team not to be worried about losing to the Raiders this week.

You should run that by Ken Whisenhunt and the Cards. I wonder if he used the same techniques when preparing them for the Niners as he did for the Vikes?
Go figure...

BroncoWave
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
You should run that by Ken Whisenhunt and the Cards. I wonder if he used the same techniques when preparing them for the Niners as he did for the Vikes?
Go figure...

The Cards have their spot all but locked up and they have a tendency of laying stinkbombs like that from time to time. Plus, it's not unusual to have a letdown after beating a great team like that. The fact that we lost to the Colts last week should keep our team motivated. Like I said though, given the magnitude of this game and the way McD usually has the team prepared, I'm not particularly worried. Other than the Redskins game (which was an early game on the east coast and we lost our QB) we have blown out every bad team we've played. I see no reason why that trend won't continue on Sunday.

TXBRONC
12-17-2009, 12:16 PM

You know as well as I do that North isn't talking about us as fans underestimating a weaker team he means the team itself.

That aside, I don't think they will underestimated the Raiders in fact I don't underestimated any opponent this season. However, that hasn't stopped them from losing five games to this point in the season. Denver's problem is that they make a lot of mistakes mostly on offense and sometime they just can't get anything going.

Oakland has a solid enough defense to keep the game close to where they could win it if Denver's offense can't score points because of mistakes or ineptness.

Bronco Bible
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
And massively easier than tipping a cow! :lol:

Alright, alright. I'll wander back to left field now. :marchmellow:

:rofl:or for that matter tipping Jamarcus(sp)

Day1BroncoFan
12-17-2009, 12:54 PM
No game is a gimme.

If Denver plays the way they can play and Jokeland plays the way they usually do Denver wins.

Northman
12-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Yea, i said that last year under Shanny. :lol:

BroncoWave
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Yea, i said that last year under Shanny. :lol:

:confused: What about Shanny late last season made you think he was immune from a late season letdown? That was his MO over his last years here.

Northman
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
:confused: What about Shanny late last season made you think he was immune from a late season letdown? That was his MO over his last years here.

Nothing, like you i got use to it but as someone else pointed out in this thread until we take care of the cellar dwellars on a more frequent basis i just wouldnt count my chickens yet. So far so good for McD but a clean sweep of both the Raiders and Chiefs would go a much longer way in restoring my faith in this team getting over that hurdle.

jhildebrand
12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I have no doubt that the Broncos will smoke the Raiders this week. However, I hope the Broncos don't go into this game too over confident and look past them to the Eagles. I doubt that McD would allow that, but you never know.

We'll know if he comes out to the post game presser and says congrats to the Eagles like he did with the Chargers after the Washington game.

rationalfan
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
We'll know if he comes out to the post game presser and says congrats to the Eagles like he did with the Chargers after the Washington game.

did that really happen? if so, HILARIOUS.

T.K.O.
12-17-2009, 02:01 PM
i understand the whole....we SHOULD win if we come to play theory.and believe me i think this team SHOULD beat the snot outta da' raidersssss.
but we all know too well that this team is also capable of laying an egg when the chips are down.
we let 9-21 points get away last week,and if we dont shore up our red-zone offense we could be on the outside lookin' in at a playoff spot.
thats right ! after suffering through what seemed to be an impossible meltdown last year ....oakland was a team playing for nothing but pride,we were a team full of rising starts with the division all but gift wrapped.
tjhese guys would like nothing more than to be partially(or totally) responsible for sending us home for the holidays!
this will be a battle and if the broncos go into this game with anything short of an absolute WILL to win and give 100% in all phases we will likely lose.
again i'm not trying to be a "debbie downer" but we as fans need to realize whats at stake here,this is a team that has "nothing to lose" but their pride.
and that , as we are all painfully aware,can be a very dangerous thing!
all that aside,i believe the broncos are more aware of this danger than any of us and will go into this game knowing the stakes are high and the season is on the line......so.......
broncos 41
raiduhs 17 :salute:

MileHighCrew
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
i understand the whole....we SHOULD win if we come to play theory.and believe me i think this team SHOULD beat the snot outta da' raidersssss.
but we all know too well that this team is also capable of laying an egg when the chips are down.
we let 9-21 points get away last week,and if we dont shore up our red-zone offense we could be on the outside lookin' in at a playoff spot.
thats right ! after suffering through what seemed to be an impossible meltdown last year ....oakland was a team playing for nothing but pride,we were a team full of rising starts with the division all but gift wrapped.
tjhese guys would like nothing more than to be partially(or totally) responsible for sending us home for the holidays!
this will be a battle and if the broncos go into this game with anything short of an absolute WILL to win and give 100% in all phases we will likely lose.
again i'm not trying to be a "debbie downer" but we as fans need to realize whats at stake here,this is a team that has "nothing to lose" but their pride.
and that , as we are all painfully aware,can be a very dangerous thing!
all that aside,i believe the broncos are more aware of this danger than any of us and will go into this game knowing the stakes are high and the season is on the line......so.......
broncos 41
raiduhs 17 :salute:

Picking Jokeland to score 17 is an insult :defense:

Broncos 47 Jokeland 3 on a 56 year FG because that is as close as they get!!!

Dreadnought
12-18-2009, 11:15 AM
You know, I am feeling some nostalgia here. I suspect we will never again face JaMarcus Russell as QB for the Raiders. I will miss him, I really will.

GEM
12-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Does this qualify Russell as a bigger bust than Leaf?

slim
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM

This is like asking who is more effeminate, Siegfried or Roy.

T.K.O.
12-18-2009, 02:39 PM
This is like asking who is more effeminate, Siegfried or Roy.

i would bet the one that got eaten by that tiger is more of a girlyman now !:D

broncofaninfla
12-18-2009, 03:21 PM

I'd say he is right up with him. I doubt he could make many NFL rosters much less even start at this point.

Northman
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Yes and no. I think Leaf wins out just because he had the best meltdown. :lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
tRaDe 4 rUsSeL

http://slanchreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/jamarcus-russell.jpg

Get him to backup Orton and play in the Wildkart offense!!

Nomad
12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Listening to Charlie Cashman on CBS talk about J Russell, the fella could care less if he sees the football field or not (obviously he's not looking to go into the HOF), he's getting paid almost $10 mil this year and it would be cheaper for the Raiders to keep him for the remainder of his contract and ride the pine than to get rid of him!! And this is why rookies need a cap on what they get paid and more of an incentative contract!!

BroncoWave
12-20-2009, 04:22 PM
LOL who was scared of Frye? Pick by Champ! :lol:

Dean
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Actually he is playing pretty well right now.

Northman
12-20-2009, 05:37 PM
LOL who was scared of Frye? Pick by Champ! :lol:

He has his team winning thats for sure.

BroncoWave
12-20-2009, 05:38 PM
He's playing ok, but their running game is what's given them the lead. That and our lack of ability to sustain anything on offense.

Nomad
12-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Actually he is playing pretty well right now.

Read what people were saying at the beginning of this thread.....I guess Frye is laughing now especially if the BRONCOS keep playing the way they are and he does as well!!

BroncoTech
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I tried to warn them about the raider qb, I just didn't expect the only run right play we know was so bad. Or theirs was so good. Our clock management sucked.