PDA

View Full Version : Shaq for Shawn Marion

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3232862

Sources: Suns a 'yes' away from acquiring Shaq for Marion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The seemingly improbable pairing of an aging Shaquille O'Neal and the run-and-gun Phoenix Suns is just a final "yes" from the Suns away from happening, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Miami Heat have already agreed to send O'Neal to the Suns in exchange for All-Star forward Shawn Marion and out-of-favor guard Marcus Banks. Miami is simply waiting for Phoenix management to complete a medical examination of O'Neal and formally accept what would rank as one of most unexpected trades in league history.

"It looks like it's going to happen," said one source close to the situation. "We should know for sure by tomorrow."

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Tuesday night on SportsCenter that O'Neal is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix on Wednesday to undergo a physical. A source close to Marion told ESPN.com early Wednesday that the Suns have informed the 29-year-old that the deal will go through, with the forward eager now to move on after playing with the Suns for his whole career.

The Arizona Republic also reported that a deal could be imminent and that O'Neal had contacted some Suns players Tuesday night. The Suns pushed back their shootaround, originally scheduled for 9:45 a.m. MT to 4:45 p.m., shortly before Phoenix plays New Orleans.

The Miami Herald first reported on its Web site Tuesday night that the Heat have informed O'Neal that they are shopping him and that talks with the Suns were serious.

That apparently surprised O'Neal ... but also pleased him. Sources told ESPN.com that the 35-year-old -- in the midst of his least productive season and with the Heat cratering from a championship in 2006 to a 9-37 record less than two years later -- is eager to leave Miami and his deteriorating relationship with Heat coach Pat Riley.

Making a move for O'Neal appears on the surface to make little basketball or financial sense for the Suns. O'Neal's arrival in Phoenix would undoubtedly prompt widespread skepticism about his ability to keep up in the Suns' high-octane system. The two years and $40 million remaining on O'Neal's contract after this season also clashes with the Suns' recent pattern of trading away players (such as Kurt Thomas) and draft picks in attempt to reduce payroll and eventually drag themselves away from the NBA luxury-tax line of $67.875 million.

The Suns, though, have been plagued by well-chronicled concerns about their chemistry for nearly two years, generally focusing on the occasional dissatisfaction voiced behind the scenes by either Marion or Amare Stoudemire. In the locker room as well as the front office, sources say, there are factions that have believed for some time that one of them would eventually have to be traded for the Suns to reach their full potential.

Those in-house doubts about this group's ability to break through and win the first championship in team history have only grown this season, sources say, even though Phoenix currently holds the best record in the West at 34-14.

But owner Robert Sarver and team president Steve Kerr, according to sources with knowledge of the Suns' thinking, have ruled out trading Stoudemire, despite season-long speculation suggesting that his defensive deficiencies would ultimately lead to his exit before Marion's. Sarver and Kerr have deemed Stoudemire too valuable to part with, given that he's only 25 and continues to play at an All-Star level after three surgeries, ranking as perhaps the NBA's most successful comeback patient from the dreaded microfracture knee procedure.

Marion asked to be traded before the season but has rarely mentioned that declaration since, with many Suns insiders believing that he went public with that request mostly as a protest response to being mentioned in trade rumors for years. If he leaves now, it's likely more because Phoenix believes a) that Boris Diaw can assume some of Marion's old duties, b) that Stoudemire will relish playing alongside Shaq as a power forward as opposed to masquerading as a center and c) that team chemistry will improve immediately with this change.

Acquiring O'Neal would also address the size issues Phoenix has faced since two-time MVP Steve Nash was reacquired as a free agent in the summer of 2004 to orchestrate coach Mike D'Antoni's free-wheeling system.

The Suns are said to be confident that Nash can find a way to get Shaq involved offensively. And it's undeniably true that the West is still filled with plenty of big men for Shaq to match up with. Just to name five: San Antonio's Tim Duncan, Houston's Yao Ming, New Orleans' Tyson Chandler, Portland's Greg Oden (next season) and Andrew Bynum of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Of course, O'Neal turns 36 in March and has been plagued by a persistent hip problem that has cost him 14 games this season. He refused to speak with Miami reporters after Tuesday's practice, while Riley insisted that O'Neal would soon undergo an MRI after missing the Heat's past six games.

And when he has been healthy, O'Neal is averaging a career-worst 14.2 points and 7.8 rebounds, while the Heat's demise has deepened after they followed their historic comeback from 2-0 down against Dallas in the 2006 NBA Finals by absorbing a first-round sweep by Chicago last season.

So if the deal does go through as widely expected now, Phoenix would be banking on the idea that O'Neal will be rejuvenated health-wise and reinvigorated mentally by the prospect of fresh start, after a half-season in which his remaining effectiveness and durability have been doubted louder than ever.

Miami's motivation, meanwhile, is clear. The Heat's need to revamp their entire roster around Dwyane Wade grows more apparent by the day in what ranks as an unprecedented collapse for a championship team that didn't lose its star players. Marion has the ability to opt out of his contract at season's end if he's willing to forfeit next season's $17.2 million salary, potentially giving the Heat substantial salary-cap space as early as this summer.

It remains to be seen if the Heat want Marion more for the financial flexibility or because they see him as a long-term complement to Wade. It also remains to be seen how much Phoenix will miss Marion's athleticism and versatility, since his ability to guard all five positions and tireless running made him a one-of-a-kind fit alongside Nash in D'Antoni's system.

Sarver said earlier this month that Marion was one of the Suns' cornerstone players who "flat-out was not getting traded," but that changed once Miami started shopping O'Neal. Although Riley later denied it, Bucher reported on ESPN2's "NBA Coast to Coast" last week that Miami had been begun to gauge trade interest in the hulking center with four championship rings from his time with the Lakers and Heat.

Although attempts to reach officials from both teams proved unsuccessful, D'Antoni did acknowledge the possibility of O'Neal's arrival on his weekly radio show Tuesday night, saying: "It would mean a lot. [But] that's a big question that's got to be thought over and pondered."

SR
02-06-2008, 09:26 AM
That's outstanding. The Suns have been missing the big man since I was little. I remember when their style of play back when they had KJ then Kidd was "Small Ball"

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, the Suns would have to change their entire style of basketball. Shaq could not keep up running the court like they do.

CoachChaz
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Why would anyone want to give up that caliber of player for Shaq right now? He's been linked to Dallas in exchange for Josh Howard. I don't want that deal. He'll only play 40 games a year and cant go much more than 25 minutes anymore.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Beats me. I think it was a great trade for the Heat.

I was going to be surprised if Shaq came back next year.

SR
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, the Suns would have to change their entire style of basketball. Shaq could not keep up running the court like they do.

This is true. However, I think their style of play is what kills them in the end because when they play a team that has 3/4 of the offensive skill that they have, but better defense, they get beat. If the Suns are able to pull this deal off and Shaq can plug up the middle of the court, with a more traditional style of ball the Suns can be great.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Shaq trade just wouldn't add up for Suns
By John Hollinger
ESPN Insider
(Archive)
Updated: February 6, 2008
Comment
Email

The Phoenix Suns have the best record in the Western Conference, a game and a half ahead of their closest rival. They have the best scoring margin in the conference. They're 8-2 in their past 10 games (while outscoring opponents by nine points per game). And the Suns have a slew of home games coming up because their early schedule was so road-heavy.

In other words, after 48 games they're in as good a position as they've ever been in to win their first conference title since Sir Charles and KJ did it 15 years ago.

And their solution? Blow it up!

The Suns are reportedly in negotiations to trade Shawn Marion -- a man everyone agrees is a vital cog in their attack because of his ability to run opponents into submission from the power forward spot -- for Shaquille O'Neal. (The Suns would include Marcus Banks.)

Good call. Clearly this Nash-Marion-Stoudamire nucleus isn't working out; they've won only 62 and 61 games the two years they were together. This year they were on pace for a meager 58, so I guess they thought it had run its course.

My first reaction to hearing reports about this deal was that I was being Punk'd. After that, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1, and verified that the voice on the other end of the phone didn't belong to Orson Welles.

But there was no Ashton Kutcher, no Orson Welles, and the calendar says it's February.

Believe it or not, this is a real, live trade discussion that might actually happen. I'm not sure I've adequately conveyed my shock at this development, but suffice it to say nobody I've talked to finds it even remotely sensible.

Shaq may be the one player who is least capable of thriving in the Suns' system. Run the break? No, thank you. Set a high screen and dive to the cup? Maybe 10 years ago. Space the floor for 3s? Please.

He's 35 and out of shape; at the moment he's also hurt. Even when healthy, he's had difficulty staying out of foul trouble long enough to make an impact. While I'll grant that Shaq can still be an offensive force -- even with his struggles this year his PER is a very solid 18.17 -- he's toasted regularly on defense. And if you thought Marion complained about not getting shots, you ain't heard nothing yet.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Marion had to go -- there have been mutterings about his attitude for quite a while -- you can't seriously tell me this was the best deal on the table.

While matching his $17 million contract is difficult, the fact that there's only a year and a half left on it means there are partners out there. Just thinking out loud, for instance, you'd think New Jersey would have taken Marion in a heartbeat for Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, and the Andrei Kirilenko deal that was so heavily discussed before the season also would seem preferable.

Marion, by the way, hadn't let his dissatisfaction and his own offseason trade demand affect his play. His 20.25 PER nearly matches last year's 20.87, and he's made up for a reduction in shots by cutting his turnovers and increasing his assists.

But despite his performance they're trading him for an older, less effective player, and one who could not be more of a square peg in a round hole in their system.

And get this -- the deal will worsen their cap situation, too. Shaq is on the books for two years after this one at $20 million a pop, whereas Marion only has one year left at less money, and may opt out after this season. So in addition to messing up their own team, the Suns will be basically handing Pat Riley a big fat Get Out of Jail Free card.

In short, this deal feels like one of these movie scenes where the lead character has a plan and says, "It's crazy ... but it just might work!"

I'm not sure about the working part, but it's definitely crazy. I'm praying this trade doesn't really happen, because the Suns have been too entertaining for too long to screw up their title chances like this.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=ShaqSuns080206&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dShaqSuns080206

SR
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
After thinking about it more and reading more articles, I don't like it.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM
After thinking about it more and reading more articles, I don't like it.

If they wanted to get rid of Marion so badly, they should have traded him for Gasol. Now, the Lakers are better and the Suns are worse.

Scarface
02-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Dude I gotta see this! It's going to be like when Cartman joined the special olympics and thought he'd win a gold medal. But as soon as the first race started he was out of breath and getting smoked.

BeefStew25
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
This would be a horrible trade for the Suns. Shaq is done.

SR
02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
If they wanted to get rid of Marion so badly, they should have traded him for Gasol. Now, the Lakers are better and the Suns are worse.

The trade isn't for sure yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen. Sometimes I forget Shaq isn't 25 anymore.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Pending Shaq passing a physical, it's a done deal. At least that's what they're reporting on ESPN radio.

BeefStew25
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, the positives are that Amare and Marion won't have each other to be bitter towards.

Scarface
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I guess they figured they had no shot at winning a championship with that roster and style of play. So why not take an awkward gamble that probably won't work but is worth a shot because they weren't winning it all anyways.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Meh, it's an over-reaction.

cpr940
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't get this at all.

Are they THAT worried about interior defense (to counter Gasol), that they go for Shaq?

The team has averaged what, 60 wins a season the last three seasons, and they trade for an older, less productive player?

I could see if Shaq was a FA, and they used him in spells defensively, to help keep the post players on their toes, especially in the playoffs. But to straight up trade? Marion must have been a TOTAL cancer for this to make any sense.

But the way the Suns play now, where does Shaq fit? He can't run like that anymore, and his hip is going to hurt him defensively anyway.

Dallas, San Antonio, and the Lakers all just won 2 or 3 more games if this trade happens, because I don't see how Shaq, at 35, is quick enough to handle any of the front line players for any of those teams...because they all have big men who can play outside, which Shaq can't.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't like it but the reason is easy to see.

The Suns can NOT beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with this roster. They might have been able to do it last year with Kurt Thomas had the league not totally ****ed them. But not this year. Now with LA getting Gasol and Bynum healthy by the playoffs, there will be two teams they can NOT beat in the post season.

Marion typically has disappearing offense disease come playoff time, Diaw has shown some spark as he did two years ago and his confidence is growing.

Basically Kerr has said, look, take Shaq off the court to run and gun against the likes of the warriors and Dallas. Put him on the court for the Spurs and LA, and (if luck has it) against the Celtics.

The Suns NEED a true center, and those are hard to come by. Swing Stoudamire to his true position, Power Forward, and he's unstoppable.

They needed to work out a trade Marion for Gasol but failed. Now they do something or their window of opportunity is closed. For good.

I still don't like it, but understand it.

broncosfanscott
02-06-2008, 12:16 PM

You got that right, their offense will surely change. Shaq being healthy is a big 'IF" and he hasn't been that lately to help the Heat. I know the Suns need a center to beat the Spurs and an addition with the Lakers getting Gasol, however Shaq isn't the offensive player he once was. It is a BIG gamble.....high risk, high reward.

We'll see what happens.

Broncolingus
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM

The Suns can NOT beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with this roster. They might have been able to do it last year with Kurt Thomas had the league not totally ****ed them. But not this year. Now with LA getting Gasol and Bynum healthy by the playoffs, there will be two teams they can NOT beat in the post season.

Marion typically has disappearing offense disease come playoff time, Diaw has shown some spark as he did two years ago and his confidence is growing.

Basically Kerr has said, look, take Shaq off the court to run and gun against the likes of the warriors and Dallas. Put him on the court for the Spurs and LA, and (if luck has it) against the Celtics.

The Suns NEED a true center, and those are hard to come by. Swing Stoudamire to his true position, Power Forward, and he's unstoppable.

They needed to work out a trade Marion for Gasol but failed. Now they do something or their window of opportunity is closed. For good.

I still don't like it, but understand it.

I completely agree...

I think the only reason is to give the Suns (ostensibly) a defensive presence against the top seeded teams in the West…and the East too with Detriot and Boston shaping up as the teams to beat.

Probably LA and SA from the West in their minds…

Clearly, Shaq's health through the entire playoffs is a huge gamble too...although, I don't think they had any other options really for a defensive presence.

TWT...

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Umm .... the Suns offense would only change when the broken diesel is on the floor. What I can't see, is D'Antoni starting someone as slow as Shaq. Can he handle coming off the bench? (except when they play the Spurs or LA)

Benetto
02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Shaq will not even play half the games...

Basically you guys gave up Marion, and team chemistry..

Sloppy thirds.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Actually the team chemistry has sucked this year, due to Marion. Amare and Marion are not getting along. Marion's numbers are all down this year as well so I'm sure that was "factored in." Nash has been unhappy all year, grumpy and constantly calling out his team mates before and after each game, win or lose.

It's a panic move to try matching what LA just did, and repair the 'chemistry.' In the end it won't get the Suns any further than they were going to get this year anyway. Their opportunity was last year, had they resigned K. Thomas last offseason and went with the same group, they might have had a chance this year. But they didn't and that was the end of that.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Or if they could have swung the K Garnett trade instead of Boston.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
... or the gasol trade instead of LA.

DallasChief
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
... or the gasol trade instead of LA.

Well, if the Suns had known that Memphis was just going to give him away, they probably would have pursued it harder. Gasol fits into the Triangle better then he would have D'Antoni's system.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
either way this trade is very simply a reaction to what LA just did bringing in gasol. had LA not done that, no way this trade happens.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I wasn't aware that the Suns team chemistry was falling apart. Or Nash was calling out his teammates...

I was under the impression that the Suns are as dominant as they have been, and made this desperate move to stick it in L.A's/Kobes face during game time.

Shaq won't be able to keep up with the Suns pace, and might not even get decent playing time...You gotta remember he's back in the West.

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:15 PM
talk all you want spurs/lakers/dallas fans..........you'll see our play get better .......heck we are already first in the west :coffee:

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
talk all you want spurs/lakers/dallas fans..........you'll see our play get better .......heck we are already first in the west :coffee:

I hope you are right but in any case, we are going to see the Suns play a different kind of basketball that we have become used to. But will it be the kind that wins a championship?

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I wasn't aware that the Suns team chemistry was falling apart. Or Nash was calling out his teammates...

I was under the impression that the Suns are as dominant as they have been, and made this desperate move to stick it in L.A's/Kobes face during game time.

Shaq won't be able to keep up with the Suns pace, and might not even get decent playing time...You gotta remember he's back in the West.

It was marion towards amare stoudemire (our franchise player) plus marion contract is over next year......and banks just sucks...shaq dominates when hes ready...i could really care less what he does in the regular season, he season starts in the playoffs. And the rest of you what you said is yet to be seen..i personally think he will, lose some weight and learn the system..

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I hope you are right but in any case, we are going to see the Suns play a different kind of basketball that we have become used to. But will it be the kind that wins a championship?

I personally think so. When we played the spurs, i felt like we were lacking a good shooter, but didn't think shaq would come here, all the best passer in nba history has to do is pass it to shaq and dunk it. If not, guess who is at the other side? amare.....GAME OVER.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
well whether he learns the system or not, he can't run with the Suns, so the acquisition of Shaq means a change in the system is soon to come.

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
well whether he learns the system or not, he can't run with the Suns, so the acquisition of Shaq means a change in the system is soon to come.

no change in the system is going to come, if nash is here, the same playbook is going to be used no matter if we get 3 other shaqs..:rolleyes: so the acquisition of shaq means a change in domination.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
umm the 'system' calls for RUN and gun .... I got some news for you in case you haven't seen Shaq play lately, he can NOT run.

broncosfanscott
02-06-2008, 06:27 PM

We'll see what happns. If he can stay healthy then he will be a big addition to your team. Only time will tell.

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
umm the 'system' calls for RUN and gun .... I got some news for you in case you haven't seen Shaq play lately, he can NOT run.

the only part where i think he will not help us is in the fast break.. but other than that,i know hes going to help, im done explaining, watch our play speak for itself.

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:32 PM
We'll see what happns. If he can stay healthy then he will be a big addition to your team. Only time will tell.

by the way, gasol looked nice yesterday against the nets, i wonder what their situation is going to be when bynum gets healthy.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:35 PM
by the way, gasol looked nice yesterday against the nets, i wonder what their situation is going to be when bynum gets healthy.

easy .... they will be the team to beat in the west.

Escobar
02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
easy .... they will be the team to beat in the west.

and suns will beat them in the playoffs like every other year..huh

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I hope you are right.

broncosfanscott
02-06-2008, 06:43 PM

That is what I am waiting for and if the Suns and Lakers do meet in the playoffs again it will really be interesting. Shaq v. Kobe.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
It was marion towards amare stoudemire (our franchise player) plus marion contract is over next year......and banks just sucks...shaq dominates when hes ready...i could really care less what he does in the regular season, he season starts in the playoffs. And the rest of you what you said is yet to be seen..i personally think he will, lose some weight and learn the system..

First of all Escobar,

Amare is not the face of your franchise. Stevie Nash is. You guys were dying to trade Amare for KG not too long ago. No matter what the system, or what kind of defense you guys run...Nash will make everyone better on offense, and make the opposition have to keep up in points and shooting %.. He's like Tom B for the Patsies.

Second of all, You guys traded away your best defender in a no defense system...Everyone knows...Defense wins Championships.

Third of all, In regards to your "Shaq will lose weight and learn the system" comment.

Being optimistic is good, but being in touch with reality is healthy. You probably used to put on the "Browns will do so good, you'll see" routine, since you became a Browns fan.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
and suns will beat them in the playoffs like every other year..huh

And the Spurs will beat the Suns...like every other year.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't believe Pheonix is so afraid of SA, Utah and LA that they choked out a move this awful. Chemistry aside, they had the best record in the West...not that it woulda mattered anyways. How many times have they blown that? Marion is a scorer who at least proposed some problems/mismatches to SA. Who is gonna do that now? Shaq? He can hardly do anything from the bench. And even if he does play more than 22 games, he's hardly gonna make an impact. This whole thing is laughable. PHX must really be spooked to grasp at this straw.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM

The Suns can NOT beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with this roster. They might have been able to do it last year with Kurt Thomas had the league not totally ****ed them.

WOW...are we still making that excuse? Did Amare break a well known rule? Did Amare come back to play after his suspension? Did the Suns win that game? Have the Suns EVER beat SA when it mattered? Was PHX undefeated at home v SA? Get off it folks, it's a weak excuse. PHX is soft. PHX can't hang in crunch time. PHX is a poser. Until they get some jewelry, it's simply who they are.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
wow this whole discussion is about a trade and I state one line about a controversial call to try to help make a point about something totally unrelated and THAT'S what you pick out? And then want to fight about? While I usually never want to get personal I just can't help but think... what an *******.

CoachChaz
02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
The person that gets the least out of this deal is Nash. He can still score, but a slower pace takes away the play making aspect of his game. The Suns will have no choice but to slow the tempo when Shaq is on the court.

As a Dallas fan...I'm not too concerned with this move.

MileHighWrath
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Add Shaq, take away Marion ... yeah it's a formula for a slower paced Suns. Nash can still make plays but it won't be the same.

You shouldn't be concerned about this move coach, it's us Suns fans that should be concerned.

CoachChaz
02-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Add Shaq, take away Marion ... yeah it's a formula for a slower paced Suns. Nash can still make plays but it won't be the same.

You shouldn't be concerned about this move coach, it's us Suns fans that should be concerned.

Nash will still make his plays, but in a slower paced offense, he'll be more like the Nash that ran the Mavs than he will the 2 time MVP.

Scarface
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I can't believe Pheonix is so afraid of SA, Utah and LA that they choked out a move this awful. Chemistry aside, they had the best record in the West...not that it woulda mattered anyways. How many times have they blown that? Marion is a scorer who at least proposed some problems/mismatches to SA. Who is gonna do that now? Shaq? He can hardly do anything from the bench. And even if he does play more than 22 games, he's hardly gonna make an impact. This whole thing is laughable. PHX must really be spooked to grasp at this straw.

Soft team. Soft front office.

cpr940
02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
no change in the system is going to come, if nash is here, the same playbook is going to be used no matter if we get 3 other shaqs..:rolleyes: so the acquisition of shaq means a change in domination.

Shaq has a bad hip.

Adjustment will have to be made in order for him to fit into the game plan.

He simply cannot move they way he needs to in the current system D'antoni has going.

I mean, it could work out to be great, but you can't actually be drinking the kool-aid that much that you think they won't make any offensive adjustments.

They would be stupid NOT to. I mean, play to your players strengths, right?

I'm glad you're optimistic, but most basketball guys, including former players who now cover the league, are scratching their heads over this one.

CoachChaz
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Kerr will be fired within 2 years. I just don't understand giving up the most complete player on your team for what is now the most one dimensional player on the team.

Ricky
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Maybe I am a minority, but I feel this may have pushed the Suns into the league championships against Boston. Shaq is a shadow of is better days, but if he wants to prove a point and plays with a chip on his shoulder... He can still bring it in short bursts. Maybe 4 or 5 games and then he will need a game off. 4 or 5 hard games from Shaq will win a playoff round.

MileHighWrath
02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I hope you are right Ricky. I just can't help but see Shaq as DONE. But then again, he was on the worse team in the NBA. Maybe this gives him some energy.... blah blah blah.... we won't know until the playoffs, meanwhile, I don't like it.

They had to get rid of Marion eventually, but to blow his value on the aged Shaq? I just don't get it.

I would have rather they took their chances with what they had, at least it was the most entertaining basketball being played in the world, whether they could win it all, maybe not, but a hell of a time trying.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
wow this whole discussion is about a trade and I state one line about a controversial call to try to help make a point about something totally unrelated and THAT'S what you pick out? And then want to fight about? While I usually never want to get personal I just can't help but think... what an *******.

I made 3 posts...1 had to do w/ yer comment...that YOU made. Don't come at me. If ya hadn't snuck that whiney lil comment in there, I'd have nothing to respond to.

YOU focused on 1 of my 3 posts...but I'm the a-hole? OK

MileHighWrath
02-08-2008, 01:47 AM
I made 3 posts...1 had to do w/ yer comment...that YOU made. Don't come at me. If ya hadn't snuck that whiney lil comment in there, I'd have nothing to respond to.

YOU focused on 1 of my 3 posts...but I'm the a-hole? OK

Yup

BeefStew25
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Maybe I am a minority, but I feel this may have pushed the Suns into the league championships against Boston. Shaq is a shadow of is better days, but if he wants to prove a point and plays with a chip on his shoulder... He can still bring it in short bursts. Maybe 4 or 5 games and then he will need a game off. 4 or 5 hard games from Shaq will win a playoff round.

Exactly what I am thinking. Shaq won't get the big minutes, but going from a crappy team to a good team, I predict an amazing recovery. Shaq needs a reason to be motivated. Story of his whole career.

MileHighWrath
02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
HIs press conference last night was revealing for me. Forget about all the lip service made to getting another ring and taking an already great team over the top and all the blah blah blah. What I didn't know was the reputation the Suns trainers have league wide for their ability to bring players back from injury and sustain their health. But then to think of it, Nash came over from Dallas with nagging back problems that you never hear about any longer. Amare's recovery from micro-fracture surgery and subsequent minor knee surgeries has been remarkable (of course he's only 25 which helps). Grant Hill, save for his appendectomy, has been the poster boy for healthy (go figure). Now Shaq said he's excited to let the Suns trainers go to work on him.

They better have Miracle Max on their staff and can get the boy on nutrisystem.

MileHighWrath
02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Steve Nash, Grant hill, Amare Stoudamire, Shaq.

Sounds like most of an all-star line up. 2 years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/highwrath3002/Shaq_Sun.JPG

Scarface
02-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I wonder if they'll have enough time to gel. They'll have to change their style of play with Shaq. And obviously they want to or wouldn't have made the move.

They gave up their best defender. Shaq has always been killed trying to defend the pick n roll. Nash plays D like a schoolgirl. Stoudemire isn't exactly a smart basketball player on the defensive side of the ball. Grant Hill's not scaring anyone. Raja Bell is a good defender though.

To become a hard nosed playoff basketball team they'll need a new identity and I don't know if you can get that in a few months. At least it will be interesting. I'll be watching fo sho.

MileHighWrath
02-08-2008, 10:39 AM
... and still no back-up for Nash.

DallasChief
02-08-2008, 10:40 AM
... and still no back-up for Nash.

Maybe they could trade Amare for Jason Kidd. :D

MileHighWrath
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Been there done that ... Kidd and Phoenix don't get along. We don't like wife beaters here.

Benetto
02-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Pretty harsh blow-out earlier today...Shaq looks tired and out of Diesel...:D

Escobar
03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Pretty harsh blow-out earlier today...Shaq looks tired and out of Diesel...:D

he sure does...doesn't he?? ;);)

Benetto
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Shaq stinks....So he had 4 good games out of 20....If that helps you sleep at night, so be it.