PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith: Pay Marshall . . .

topscribe
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
In an interview (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1176013) today, Rod Smith said that BMarsh is good for the team and good
for the community. He said if the Broncos want to be a Super Bowl team, what
they need are good players, and that BMarsh is a good player on his way to
becoming a great one.

Rod also said that the team has enough money under the CAP to pay everyone,
if they really want to. Letting a player go because of CAP is an excuse to get
rid of the player, he said. Rod went on to say that it isn't the size of the
contract, but how the contract is structured. He gave the example of when
the Redskins tried to buy the Super Bowl (and got their butts kicked).

He also said that Clady is another one they should never let go, as well as other
impact players on the team.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1176013

-----

weazel
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
In an interview (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1176013) today, Rod Smith said that BMarsh is good for the team and good
for the community. He said if the Broncos want to be a Super Bowl team, what
they need are good players, and that BMarsh is a good player on his way to
becoming a great one.

Rod also said that the team has enough money under the CAP to pay everyone,
if they really want to. Letting a player go because of CAP is an excuse to get
rid of the player, he said. Rod went on to say that it isn't the size of the
contract, but how the contract is structured. He gave the example of when
the Redskins tried to buy the Super Bowl (and got their butts kicked).

He also said that Clady is another one they should never let go, as well as other
impact players on the team.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1176013

-----

2010 will be uncapped...

topscribe
12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
2010 will be uncapped...

I'm sure, since Rod knows what he's talking about, he was just considering the possibility of a continuance . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
What Rod said!

Superchop 7
12-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Doom, Clady, B Marsh.

I think Pat will make sure it gets done.

These guys are gold.

Dirk
12-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I wish they would hurry up and do it before it's too late!

Wow....after the offseason and antics of BMarsh, I was ready to let him go for what we could get for him. Now I want him to stay!!

Northman
12-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Yea, its time to pay him.

CoachChaz
12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree we need to pay the kid this off-season.

But I highly doubt too many changes are made to the current CBA. I wouldnt worry about him or Doom becoming UFA's

Lonestar
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes he needs a new contract.

But for the good of the team and really for Marshall, it needs to be highly structured to induce his best behavior.

Many will say he won't sign one. But if his agent is worth a tinkers dam he will be able to talk him into a good behavior/lots of incentives deal. That is win win for both parties.

Worst case is he is a RFA and we can match whatever he is offerred or get a 1st and a 3rd in the upcoming draft.

BTW whatever happened to McKinly that looked so good in TC.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

T.K.O.
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
i think marshall has done a complete 180...he is having fun and playing great.
he said it was when he saw the tape of himself acting like a child at tc,it also may have been some good advice from guys like rod that helped him turn the corner.
whatever it was i think he has realized the chance (or 2nd chance if you prefer) that he has to not only be a "special" player in a game that he loves,but to rake in a few million bucks while he is at it!
he deserves to be paid like the other players doing a similar job.
i see no reason why the broncos wont give him a deal that not only makes him want to stay....but also makes him want to prove he's worth every penny:salute:
doom will also know that he has found his niche'....and maybe he can stay at the same position for more than a season under mcD.giving him the chance to really settle into a scheme and excell.he will also be getting the biggest payday of his life.i know its a business and guys tend to follow the $$$,but i do believe their will be some allegiance to a young coach who believed in them and stuck by them through an almost complete team overhaul.

and yeah....whats the deal with mckinley? i expected to see him alot more he seemed to be coming along well in camp and preseason...i realize we are paying other guys more but....well i guess if marshall is gonna catch 15-25 balls a game we dont really need more wr's out there:D

MasterShake
12-17-2009, 03:12 PM
All I know is that this year went from bad surprises (losing 3 straight last season and handing the division over, Shanny and Cutler gone, and BMarsh looking like a money hungry moron) to fantastic surprises (McDaniels MAYBE being a good coach, on our way to MAYBE being in the playoffs, and most of all Brandon emerging as a Superstar, maybe...)

Pay him, Clady, and Dumervil and we have a good nucleus to expand upon. If we can accomplish what we did this year with a patchwork team, I can't wait to see what happens with some careful planning. Oh, and Orton too!:D

JDL
12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes he needs a new contract.

But for the good of the team and really for Marshall, it needs to be highly structured to induce his best behavior.

Many will say he won't sign one. But if his agent is worth a tinkers dam he will be able to talk him into a good behavior/lots of incentives deal. That is win win for both parties.

Worst case is he is a RFA and we can match whatever he is offerred or get a 1st and a 3rd in the upcoming draft.

BTW whatever happened to McKinly that looked so good in TC.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

No player ever in his situation would give up guaranteed dollars... he's done too much (on the verge of 3 straight 100rec seasons... not many WRs have done that. Marshall is going to get a monster signing bonus (off-field issues or not) and everything else basically is incentive because it is non-guaranteed money.

But, there is already recourse for recovering bonus money and that is what Denver will rely on. They can do a few other minor things, but the reality is that the contracts are what they are and no highly productive player is going to take any kind of outrageous or severely incentive-laden contract. Won't happen... pipe dream. Marshall is worth the money on the field - the team just needs to worry whether he is worth it off the field, but I think you take that risk for a player like him. He's shown he will produce no matter the situation (3 QBs now.) He's just a gamer.

Tned
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I agree we need to pay the kid this off-season.

But I highly doubt too many changes are made to the current CBA. I wouldnt worry about him or Doom becoming UFA's

Everything I have read says the owners are the ones that want the uncapped year, and the players union has realized that it isn't the threat to the owners they thought.