PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Strat-o-Matic Replays

Dreadnought
02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I am a Strat-o-Matic Football addict. Its an old cards and dice game thats been around since 1968, and its what made me a Bronco fan in the first place.
In 2000 it was released in a PC format, and I started joining online leagues 4 years ago. The players will perform realisticly, far more so than Madden, although the graphic are pretty primitive. Basically, the offense picks a play and formation (say off tackle right by the halfback out of a 2 TE, 2 WR formation), the defense guesses run or pass and determines blitzes and doubleteams, etc. then both selections are revealed. A Dice roll determines the outcome of the play based on "cards" for the player in question and the defensive calls. For example, 1998 Terrell Davis was almost impossible to stop almost at any time. 2005 Tatum Bell was great if the D isn't guessing run; if guessed right Tatum goes nowhere, making him useless on 3rd and 1.

This year I was invited to play Denver in a pair of online leagues, replaying the 1969 and 2005 schedules. I figured some of you might be interested in our progress. I'll follow this with more detailed posts

Dreadnought
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
The 1969 Broncos were always going to be a challenge. I have the best RB in the AFL in Floyd Little, paired with a decent FB in Fran Lynch. My WR's are amongst the best pairs in the league, with both Al Denson an elite WR, and Mike Haffner very good as well. Tom Beer, the TE, had a 20+ YPC avg., making him an interesting threat, and backup WR's John Embree and Bill Van Heusen are good for multiple WR sets.

The problems on offense are first and foremost at QB. Steve Tensi is just not good. He hit @ 47% of his passes that year, and his card shows a QB who will do OK if I can keep the D ganged up against the run. Backup Pete Liske hit 53%, respectable for the era, but had a horrifying 9%+ interception rate. By league rules I had to use Liske as QB for at least 2 games. The offensive line is a turnstile, with only Mike Current having any ability at all in pass blocking. Clearly, my objective would be to avoid 3rd and 5+ at any cost.

Defensively I have a pretty good run D and front 4, with a big pass rush, esp. from Rich Jackson and Dave Costa. The pass defense is a horror. The left CB, Charlie Greer is terrible, and I could count on being roasted regularly through the air.

On special teams I am saddled with a complete stiff at FG kicker in Bobby Howfield. he is terrible even in an era of terrible kickers. On the plus side Billy Thompson is a fine KO returner and an absolute menace as a punt returner.

Week 1 - beat the hapless Patriots 21-15 - a good start

Week 2 - faced Joe Namath, with unfortunate results. My Pass d was toasted, and the good guys lost 31-21

Week 3 - tied the Bills. completely frustrating, as Little put the ball on the ground twice in the Red Zone. Final score 17-17

Week 4 - The Chiefs. Superbowl champs. I gave myslef so little a chance I used this game as one of my Pete Liske starts at QB. Lo and behold, Len dawson comes apart like a cheap suit, donates 5 turnvers, and I pull off the upset 24-19. Liske does OK, and throws only 1 pick. I'm 2-1-1 and feeling confident.

Week 5 - The Raiders. I hate them, even back then. Unfortunately, their pass blocking is so good that Lamonica just dissected my defense, with freakin Biletnikoff toasting Charley Greer regularly. Final score 28-20, Raiders.

Week 6 - Complete meltdown v. the hapless Bengals. I led 16-0 at the end of the first quarter, and Tensi hit a Total of 1 more pass for the rest of the game. Lost 29-19

Week 7 - Bad news continues. Houston beat me like a drum 42-17. Another brutal game for Steve Tensi.

Week 8 - The Chargers - I led 14-10 in the 4th, but John hadl wakes up, hitting Gary Garrison and Lance Alworth repeatedly for a game winning drive. Lost 17-14

Week 9 - Raiders again. terrible matchup, and Lamonica destroyed the Bronco Pass D. Record is 2-6-1, looking miserable

Week 10 - Rematch with Houston. This time I played a much better game, held the Oiler offense to 168 yards from scrimmage. broke the losing streak with a 20-14 win:elefant:

Week 11 - Rematch with San Diego. Steve Tensi plays a good game. I surrendered 458 yards, but held him to 21 points, while my offense gets in gear to the tune of 31. Another win!

Week 12 - Rematch w/ KC. I started Pete Liske again, and ripped off 21 quick points, with a mix of good play calling and blind luck. Mike Haffner destroys the KC defense for 7 catches and over 135 yards, as I guarantee at least matching the Historical record by winning 24-18. Liske threw 2 picks, and I virtually didn't throw in the 2nd half out of pure terror

Week 13 - Miami. Afer giving up an opening TD drive, the Bronc's just destroyed these guys. Tensi was brilliant, and Bob Griese was completely shut down. Denver wins an easy 27-10 victory, evening the record at 6-6-1

Week 14 - Cincy again. A chance to go above .500. TBD

League Stats

http://www.geocities.com/snarlfb/69afl.html

BeefStew25
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
So like Yatsee but with football?

Dreadnought
02-05-2008, 09:41 PM
So like Yatsee but with football?

Kinda sorta. Its based on 4 dice. 2 will give you a combined 2-12 result. The third die tells you whether to use the offensive players card or defensive card for result. 1-3 Offense, 4-6 defense. The 4th die has an X, 2 D's, and 3 blank sides. This determines if there is a penalty or potential sack on a pass.

MOtorboat
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Kinda sorta. Its based on 4 dice. 2 will give you a combined 2-12 result. The third die tells you whether to use the offensive players card or defensive card for result. 1-3 Offense, 4-6 defense. The 4th die has an X, 2 D's, and 3 blank sides. This determines if there is a penalty or potential sack on a pass.

You know they've been making Madden for like 15 years...

Dreadnought
02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
My challenges with 2006 Denver are very different than 1969. Well, except Jake Plummer is awful, so in that respect he's like Steve Tensi. The running is good, but not like Floyd Little. Tatum has breakaway ability, but can be shut down anytime the D wants to. Mike Bell is overall decent with some short yardage ability. J-Walk is excellent, but Rod Smith is more like a TE, with no deep ability. Scheff is sneaky good, and both B. Marsh and David Kircus are pretty competent. Cutler is very good, but league rules only allow me to start him for 6 games.

The defense is all around above average, but with little pass rush apart from Elvis Dumervil. They also commit few penalties, which is very nice.

On the down side my punting stinks, kick coverage is awful, and the returners are duds. Sound familiar?

Week 1 - I avenged the real life loss to the rams by putting a 38-13 beating on them. Both Bells ran wild against the horrid Rams run D.

Week 2 - A 27-7 thrashing of the Chiefs. I started Cutler for this one, as it was a division game. He destroyed the KC pass defense, while I picked off Trent Green 4 times.

Week 3 - Knocked off the Pats 30-24. Cutler was on fire, and I got out to a double digit lead, hanging on for the win

Week 4 - With a 20-3 halftime lead v. the Ratbird, I'm feeling cocky. Disaster strikes as I turned over the ball on 5 consectitve drives to open the 2nd half, and lose 23-20

Week 5 - Raiders. My opponent played brilliantly, but the 06 Raiders are one of the worst teams Strat-o-matic has ever released. An ugly 25-17 win.

Week 6 - A 42-6 beat down of the poor Browns. I was both lucky and good in this game, as Charley Frye was pitiable.

Week 7 - A bad loss to the Colts, 31-14. Manning had all day against my feeble rush, and I got crushed.

Week 8 - A nightmare against the Steelers. Cutler came unglued, and nothing else worked either. Final score an embarrassing 27-3

Thankfully, at the halfway point, the Chiefs and Chargers were struggling, especially the Bolts. At 5-3 I had a 2 game lead.

Week 9 - Rematch with the Raiders, and a relatively easy 27-13 win. The guy playing them is really good.

Week 10 - San Diego - I hang on for a 24-21 win. the Chargers coach has tons of weapons he just doesn't use well

Week 11 - Incredible come from behind win over the Chiefs. In spite of holding the Chefs to 10 first downs, and moving well all game, 4 Cutler interceptions had me in a desperate condition, down 18-13 with :22 left at the Chief 48 - after Tynes had flubbed a shot at an 8 point lead with 2:00 left. My best play call of the season, as i was able to isolate Scheffler against awful Kendrell Bell - he doubleteamed Marshall and Walker, leaving Sceff open - and Jay hits him for a 48 yard game winner and a 21-18 win.

Week 12 - Up 12-10 v. the Seahawks in the 4th, Ian Gold picks off a screen pass and takes it 55 yards for a TD, icing the win and the AFC West title. KC and SD have continued to flounder.

Weeks 13-16 TBD. I'll update as they're played.

Dreadnought
02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
You know they've been making Madden for like 15 years...

I know. I hate it; nowhere near as challenging, stats come out goofy, and its too easy to "game". I also want to play as a coach, and have no control over the player's actions during a play.

Dreadnought
02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Season sweep of the Bolts last night! The pass defense played lights out, holding whiney Phillip Rivers to 11 of 33 with 2 picks. My opponent kept trying to force the ball to Antonio Gates, and I double teamed him with Lynch virtually every play. I kept wating for him to adjust, and he didn't. I took a 21-3 lead into halftime after Plummer hit Scheff on a 33 yard TD pass on a crossing pattern with a minute left in the 2nd quarter, and the Broncos go to 10-3 with the 27-10 win.

nj10
02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
how and where do I find this?

Dreadnought
02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
how and where do I find this?

I PM'ed this earlier, but figured Id post the link here

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/

Dreadnought
02-17-2008, 12:04 AM
I beat the Cards - not too hard a task, especially when Kurt Warner opened the game by tossing a pick over the middle to Al Wilson. Three plays later and Jay Cutler throws a TD to Stephen Alexander for all the points I'd end up needing - which was good, because Jay was hurt on the play and will miss the rest of the regular season. So...Jake Plummer entered into the spotlight :mad:

Jake was only able to generate 6 more points, as the Bronc offense moved regularly while failing to score. This time it didn't hurt, as the defense just stifled the Cards passing, and I almost completely ignored his worthless ground game. Warner threw 2 more picks in the first half before being benched in favor of Leinart, but it didn't help. Final score 13-0, the good guys.

Dreadnought
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm halfway through my 2008 Replay. Man this team is a pain in the ass to play. they stop nothing!. They make nothing bad happen to the opponent. Webster, Manual, and McCree are all rated as Zero's, and its brutal. It is one of the worst Strat-o-Matic defenses I've seen in 40 years of playing this game.

OTOH, Cutler is a pleasure to use (if a bit erratic), and they rated Scheffler better than any TE I've seen since the early 70's as a pure pass catcher - no kidding. Unparalleled in Strat history as a long pass catching TE. Royal and Marshall are very solid, though Stokes is a disappointment after his 2007 card. The pass blocking is awesome, which allows a ton of flexibility on offense. I've got them at 6-2 so far, Browns up next.