Option 4

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Option 4

Great minds think alike

lex
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Option 4

Im not making Smith at 12 an option. Sorry.

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:25 PM

No, but we are in a decent position to be able to fill a need rather than just taking another RB.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
No, but we are in a decent position to be able to fill a need rather than just taking another RB.

Id rather take a player of greater impact than greatest need. And Id rather not reach for a player who is overvalued because its a bad year for that position.

BOSSHOGG30

you really don't read my post well at all... I said trade back! I also said, I don't get why if it is ok to pick Kenny Phillips at 12, why isn't it ok to pick Reggie Smith at 12? I don't think we should pick either at 12, but I can see why someone would if they were going to pick a safety at 12... we need a coverage safety, not a tackling machine type safety. Kenny Phillips and Reggie Smith are two different types of safety. Smith makes more sense to me because he is the better safety in coverage... which is what we need. Denver is high on Abdullah... like it or not, but they are... so Abdullah projects as your SS... Denver is in the market for a FS... not a SS. Reggie Smith makes perfect since... if you take all that into account.

G_Money
Of those scenarios, I'll take #1.

Laws is interesting, but if Gosder makes it back to us in Rd 2 (I don't think he will) then I'd definitely take him. I think he's terrific, and BC has a very well documented history of turning out good linemen. And if you're adding Rogers, then I definitely want the better OL instead of another DT.

Dizon will at least be Burns-like for special teams, which isn't bad, and I think he has the potential for more. He's a driven kid, and I think he'll have success in the pros.

I don't think Jackson will be there in the 5th. I just don't - he's impressing too many people. Getting Jordy Nelson with a theoretical 3rd works fine for me - I love that kid.

But of what you offered, I'll take #1.

~G

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Id rather take a player of greater impact than greatest need.

I won't argue with that, but in our current situation, I think Phillips would have more impact than Mendenhall would.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
you really don't read my post well at all... I said trade back! I also said, I don't get why if it is ok to pick Kenny Phillips at 12, why isn't it ok to pick Reggie Smith at 12? I don't think we should pick either at 12, but I can see why someone would if they were going to pick a safety at 12... we need a coverage safety, not a tackling machine type safety. Kenny Phillips and Reggie Smith are two different types of safety. Smith makes more sense to me because he is the better safety in coverage... which is what we need. Denver is high on Abdullah... like it or not, but they are... so Abdullah projects as your SS... Denver is in the market for a FS... not a SS. Reggie Smith makes perfect since... if you take all that into account.

No, I read your post. Smith in the 1st is dumb, period. Safety is a position where guys are more apt to have inflated value because its a down year for safety. Id rather have Silva. Safety is a read and react position. I know Silva can do that.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I won't argue with that, but in our current situation, I think Phillips would have more impact than Mendenhall would.

I dont. Im not sold on any of the safeties in the draft. I think Phillips' is overvalued because its a weak class.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
IMO Choice or Forte in our offense will do 95% of what Mendenhall will.

Because of that, I don't need Mendenhall in the 1st.

But if the Broncos finally addressed their RB need with a "real" pick and a back that would fit instead of drafting the left-overs (or not drafting one at all) I wouldn't yell too loudly.

"Man, who wanted Adrian Peterson?? Any RB can succeed here!"

"Yeah...but we added Adrian Peterson. We might scare a couple more people with our ground game again..."

I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't hate it.

Drafting Early Doucet in the 1st, OTOH, might arouse my ire...

~G

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Why does anyone wan't Silva? He's short, small and slow.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I dont. Im not sold on any of the safeties in the draft. I think Phillips' is overvalued because its a weak class.

But lex...safety is ALWAYS a weak class. Last year's was one of the better ones I remember, but for the most part, safety isn't a strong suit of any draft.

I don't think this class is actually as weak as some are making out. The problem is that they are all bunched. There are no Landrys to stand out, so someone shouts the word "weak!" and everyone repeats it.

There are guys who can succeed from this class - I don't think Silva is one of them, but I could be wrong.

I agree that we don't need to draft a safety just because we need one, but there are ones who will be available who could start for us, succeed, and have the potential to be great.

Just because they aren't great yet doesn't mean they won't be.

We just have to get the right one.

~G

lex
02-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Of those scenarios, I'll take #1.

Laws is interesting, but if Gosder makes it back to us in Rd 2 (I don't think he will) then I'd definitely take him. I think he's terrific, and BC has a very well documented history of turning out good linemen. And if you're adding Rogers, then I definitely want the better OL instead of another DT.

Dizon will at least be Burns-like for special teams, which isn't bad, and I think he has the potential for more. He's a driven kid, and I think he'll have success in the pros.

I don't think Jackson will be there in the 5th. I just don't - he's impressing too many people. Getting Jordy Nelson with a theoretical 3rd works fine for me - I love that kid.

But of what you offered, I'll take #1.

~G

Actually, I did this a few days ago and since then I re-watched the senior bowl. I was more impressed with Nicks as a tackle. Cherilous was a tremendous run blocker but really struggled on the edge. Cherilous looked like he might make a better guard. Nicks wasnt a soft run blocker but he wasnt as good as Cherilous. Nicks was better at PB though by far.

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
No, I read your post. Smith in the 1st is dumb, period. Safety is a position where guys are more apt to have inflated value because its a down year for safety. Id rather have Silva. Safety is a read and react position. I know Silva can do that.

Yeah, A safety with speed, size, play making ability, good tackler, good coverage skills, and return skills.... Who would want him in the 1st! What was I thinking. He is a bust.

Lets go after a safety in the 4th round in the draft that you consider inflated value because it is a down year for safety. That makes a lot more sense.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Why does anyone wan't Silva? He's short, small and slow.

Why would anyone want Jim Edmonds as a CF before he got old? He wasnt fast. He makes up time by diagnosing the play faster than others.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't like any of them. We don't need Mendehall in the first, esspecially at #12. Matter of fact, we don't need him at all.

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Lex was one of those guys who wanted Lamont Thompson in the 2002 draft because although Ed Reed was projected a 1st rounder... it just didn't make sense to him.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, A safety with speed, size, play making ability, good tackler, good coverage skills, and return skills.... Who would want him in the 1st! What was I thinking. He is a bust.

Lets go after a safety in the 4th round in the draft that you consider inflated value because it is a down year for safety. That makes a lot more sense.

Safety is a read and react position.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Scenario 1
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Gosder Cherilous T
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
4 Jordan Dizon OLB
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB

Scenario 2
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Trevor Laws DT
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
4 John Greco/Duane Brown T
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB

Scenario 3
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Shawn Crable/Erin Henderson OLB
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB

Where in the world do you come up with this stuff??

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Why would anyone want Jim Edmonds as a CF before he got old? He wasnt fast. He makes up time by diagnosing the play faster than others.

Please do not compare a center-fielder to a strong safety. There is nothing in common. One chases down balls, the other has to chase people.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Where in the world do you come up with this stuff??

There was a turdtoad in the park across the street.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Please do not compare a center-fielder to a strong safety. There is nothing in common. One chases down balls, the other has to chase people.

OK, and...? Either way, youre diagnosing the play and reacting.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
There was a turdtoad in the park across the street.

Classy Lex..........

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM

But Coach.... didn't you know that the baseball can juke and move like a ball carrier?

Plus... it is funny he brings up Center field, because we were talking about speed right.... lol, everyone knows Centerfielders are usually the slowest guys on the team. Come on Coach you should know that, you are an ex-division I player!

G_Money
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Actually, I did this a few days ago and since then I re-watched the senior bowl. I was more impressed with Nicks as a tackle. Cherilous was a tremendous run blocker but really struggled on the edge. Cherilous looked like he might make a better guard. Nicks wasnt a soft run blocker but he wasnt as good as Cherilous. Nicks was better at PB though by far.

Cherilus is a RT, so more of his responsibility is in the run game. The best pass-rusher is on the other side.

I would expect him to be a run mauler and need a little more work in the pass game, because otherwise he'd be a LT.

But he has good enough feet to learn better pass-protection skills and in the meantime he absolutely kills anyone he faces in the run game.

I don't think Nicks is bad, but I don't think he's a LT in the pros at all and Cherilus is a better RT than him. I wouldn't be unhappy with adding Nicks, but if you're giving me a choice between the two (and you did) then I'm taking Cherilus.

Partly because it should also mean that Gosder starts this year, which means Pears doesn't. That's a Good Thing. Nicks is far more likely to do the Bronco Standard Sit On Your Ass Year that linemen get.

~G

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:48 PM
OK, and...? Either way, youre diagnosing the play and reacting.

No. In centerfield, you hear the crack and field the ball. You don't have to change direction if a runner cuts back, you don't have to avoid blockers and you can play the position based on the tendencies of the hitter and your pitcher.

Huge ******* difference

lex
02-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Cherilus is a RT, so more of his responsibility is in the run game. The best pass-rusher is on the other side.

I would expect him to be a run mauler and need a little more work in the pass game, because otherwise he'd be a LT.

But he has good enough feet to learn better pass-protection skills and in the meantime he absolutely kills anyone he faces in the run game.

I don't think Nicks is bad, but I don't think he's a LT in the pros at all and Cherilus is a better RT than him. I wouldn't be unhappy with adding Nicks, but if you're giving me a choice between the two (and you did) then I'm taking Cherilus.

Partly because it should also mean that Gosder starts this year, which means Pears doesn't. That's a Good Thing. Nicks is far more likely to do the Bronco Standard Sit On Your Ass Year that linemen get.

~G

Fair enough.

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm out guys... I'm going to bust a gut.... Lex has me laughing to hard. If there was an American Idol of draft pick knowledge.... Lex would be William Hung

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
But Coach.... didn't you know that the baseball can juke and move like a ball carrier?

Plus... it is funny he brings up Center field, because we were talking about speed right.... lol, everyone knows Centerfielders are usually the slowest guys on the team. Come on Coach you should know that, you are an ex-division I player!

Well, the proof in CF's not needing speed can be justified with names like Griffey and Edmonds, etc. But would I want either of them to cover Antonio Gates? Hell no.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
No. In centerfield, you hear the crack and field the ball. You don't have to change direction if a runner cuts back, you don't have to avoid blockers and you can play the position based on the tendencies of the hitter and your pitcher.

Huge ******* difference

Mike Cameron doesn't watch the ball. He listens to the sound the ball makes off the bat. He can tell where it's going by the sound it makes. He listens, runs to a spot on the field, looks up within 10 feet and figures out where within that 10 feet his guess was off.

It's truly amazing - and nothing like football at all.

Silva has a lot of heart and will make somebody a very good ST player, but I just don't see him having success in the pros. He runs a 4.6 something 40 doesn't he? He doesn't have any recovery speed. If somebody gets past him, it's over. He'd have to come off the field on passing-only downs.

*shrugs* I just don't see it. Maybe he can spend a while getting faster. LBs with a certain lack of speed can be covered to a certain extent by the coverage package behind them. Even corners can play a zone scheme that can mask their speed deficiencies. But slow safeties have trouble, because all they have to do is guess wrong once to give up a TD, and Silva likes to guess.

~G

lex
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Huge ******* difference

Ive played both safety and CF. And youre oversimplifying CF. Youre processing information based on where the ball is pitched in relation the way the batter is swinging. Besides, the issue you raise about avoiding blockers is a red herring. No one is saying CF have to make tackles. Youre way off the mark with that kind of response. If you have two CFs who are the same speed, but one can diagnose the play before the other, that CF will be much better than the other one. If the fast CF is poor at diagnosing plays, there might be slower CFs who can cover more ground than the faster CF. Same is true for safety. Tackling and avoiding blockers is a given. Go watch the Shrine game. Silva made plays all over the place. Must not be too bad at avoiding blockers. And we wouldnt have to reach for him.

lex
02-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm out guys... I'm going to bust a gut.... Lex has me laughing to hard. If there was an American Idol of draft pick knowledge.... Lex would be William Hung

I have no idea what that means. Ive never seen Idol. But I can tell you must be Lost.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Silva makes the plays that are in front of him.

Far fewer plays are likely to be in front of him to make on the pro level, because he'll be out of position.

When a back breaks free, Silva will not be able to chase him down. He's slower than most of the backs in the league.

When he's in coverage against the TE, half the league's TEs (including Scheffler from the Broncos) will be running past him on longer routes. He won't be able to stay with them on seam routes.

When it's a read-and-react play (fill hole X so RB cannot get through) I expect Silva to be fine. When he's coming down into the box, he'll be fine. When he's tracking a RB who has not yet made his move, also fine.

But the time of slow safeties is coming to a close. There's so much field to cover and so many matchup issues with slot receivers and RBs and TEs, all of whom are far faster than they were 10 years ago, that having just a heavy hitter who was moved from LB to S because he was too small isn't enough. That guy better be fast too. Cover schemes are starting to demand two corners who can cover a lot of ground. Both need to be able to support the run and the pass.

Silva is a man who has taken good advantage of his skills in college, but I don't think he can be an every down safety in the NFL.

I could certainly be wrong.

For a 5th round pick I wouldn't mind seeing him in training camp, but I wouldn't want him to be my only solution to that problem position. If he was our choice then Boss had better be right about Rogers, and I still have my doubts.

~G

underrated29
02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
unlike lancane and the rest of the old site, i dont think rb which ever rb it is will be that much of an increase over TH. I would rather a good oline to run behind and protect jay, then a great runner, (which i think henry will be).

I like the shawn rogers, jordy nelson, silva and dizon but i would aslo like drago,and think we will take a rb in the 4th. Plus a 1st rd LB would be nice to have.

lex
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Silva makes the plays that are in front of him.

Far fewer plays are likely to be in front of him to make on the pro level, because he'll be out of position.

When a back breaks free, Silva will not be able to chase him down. He's slower than most of the backs in the league.

When he's in coverage against the TE, half the league's TEs (including Scheffler from the Broncos) will be running past him on longer routes. He won't be able to stay with them on seam routes.

When it's a read-and-react play (fill hole X so RB cannot get through) I expect Silva to be fine. When he's coming down into the box, he'll be fine. When he's tracking a RB who has not yet made his move, also fine.

But the time of slow safeties is coming to a close. There's so much field to cover and so many matchup issues with slot receivers and RBs and TEs, all of whom are far faster than they were 10 years ago, that having just a heavy hitter who was moved from LB to S because he was too small isn't enough. That guy better be fast too. Cover schemes are starting to demand two corners who can cover a lot of ground. Both need to be able to support the run and the pass.

Silva is a man who has taken good advantage of his skills in college, but I don't think he can be an every down safety in the NFL.

I could certainly be wrong.

For a 5th round pick I wouldn't mind seeing him in training camp, but I wouldn't want him to be my only solution to that problem position. If he was our choice then Boss had better be right about Rogers, and I still have my doubts.

~G

I seem to remember Lynch playing in the box a lot.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 05:10 PM
He did, and he does. And he and Silva probably run about the same time (or at least what Lynch ran outta college and what Silva will run should be about equal).

But we'll need an extra DB on passing downs if we play Silva. He'll be a mismatch for whatever wideout/back he's matched up against - and not in his favor.

We could get him strictly for run support, but when there are safeties in the draft who can do both that doesn't sound like the best deployment of our assets.

Maybe he'll get better at coverage, and find some speed, and his instincts will compensate enough for the lack of footspeed. It happens. I certainly wish him the best. I just wouldn't bet on it is all.

~G

lex
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
He did, and he does. And he and Silva probably run about the same time (or at least what Lynch ran outta college and what Silva will run should be about equal).

But we'll need an extra DB on passing downs if we play Silva. He'll be a mismatch for whatever wideout/back he's matched up against - and not in his favor.

We could get him strictly for run support, but when there are safeties in the draft who can do both that doesn't sound like the best deployment of our assets.

Maybe he'll get better at coverage, and find some speed, and his instincts will compensate enough for the lack of footspeed. It happens. I certainly wish him the best. I just wouldn't bet on it is all.

~G

Well, whatever, I dont think we should reach for guys in the first round when like you said, there are so many clustered together.

lex
02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
unlike lancane and the rest of the old site, i dont think rb which ever rb it is will be that much of an increase over TH. I would rather a good oline to run behind and protect jay, then a great runner, (which i think henry will be).

I like the shawn rogers, jordy nelson, silva and dizon but i would aslo like drago,and think we will take a rb in the 4th. Plus a 1st rd LB would be nice to have.

TH was outperformed by an undrafted rookie who was playing behind a less experienced OLine.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
TH was outperformed by an undrafted rookie who was playing behind a less experienced OLine.

TH was the leading rusher in the NFL before he got hurt. He never did come back 100%.
If Henry comes back and Young continues to grow why in the heck would we need Mendenhall as ALL three of your scenerios show. You didn't even give us one without us taking him in the first round.

underrated29
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but that arguement mean nothing to me. He was also hurt with ribs, and ankle with no burst or power. We also faces a much weaker set of teams in the second half of the season. Henry started out great, and next year will be a 1500 yrd rusher and most likely a top 5 back. I dont expect you to agree, but i do expect that when he turns heads people will show him the erspect.

underrated29
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
We are not taking a RB with the 1st pick, maybe if we get another 1st rdr, but i just dont hink shanny will do something that helps marginally, when filling holes helps greatly.

lex
02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but that arguement mean nothing to me. He was also hurt with ribs, and ankle with no burst or power. We also faces a much weaker set of teams in the second half of the season. Henry started out great, and next year will be a 1500 yrd rusher and most likely a top 5 back. I dont expect you to agree, but i do expect that when he turns heads people will show him the erspect.

Henry amassed most of his yards against Buffalo and Oakland. Besides, what makes you so sure Henry is durable enough. He's coming up on 30. Plus who knows when he will piss hot again or if he will be distracted by off field problems? If we dont look to replace him, its too late once the season starts and he's way too iffy to pin your hopes on at this point.

lex
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
We are not taking a RB with the 1st pick, maybe if we get another 1st rdr, but i just dont hink shanny will do something that helps marginally, when filling holes helps greatly.

BPA

turftoad
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
BPA

And you think that the BPA at #12 is Mendenhall??

lex
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
And you think that the BPA at #12 is Mendenhall??

I think Mendenhall would be the player of greatest impact. And I say that acnowleding the likelihood that Shanahan wants to give Harris a shot. Usually RBs can step in and contribute the first year if theyre good.

Our RBs longest TD run was 9 yards up until the first KC game which was in November. Young had several long runs but often wasnt able to take it all the way. I think Mendenhall would improve on both of those items and as a result we wouldnt have to finish those drives with red zone offense as much.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I think Mendenhall would be the player of greatest impact. And I say that acnowleding the likelihood that Shanahan wants to give Harris a shot. Usually RBs can step in and contribute the first year if theyre good.

That wasn't the question.

lex
02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
That wasn't the question.

That was the answer. I prefer to say, player of greatest impact rather than BPA.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
That was the answer. I prefer to say, player of greatest impact rather than BPA.

Waffling......

lex
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Waffling......

No, BPA is erroneous. If the best player available was actually a QB, would you take him when we have Cutler? He wouldnt see the field. Thats why I prefer the term player of greatest impact. Understand?

turftoad
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
No, BPA is erroneous. If the best player available was actually a QB, would you take him when we have Cutler? He wouldnt see the field. Thats why I prefer the term player of greatest impact.

Just like saying we should draft Mendenhall in the first when we already have Henry and Young.
A player that would have the biggest impact for us is one that comes in at a position we are weak at and can contribute relitively soon.

underrated29
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
No, BPA is erroneous. If the best player available was actually a QB, would you take him when we have Cutler? He wouldnt see the field. Thats why I prefer the term player of greatest impact.

exactly thats why we dont take mendenhall. Henry is good, young is good, hall is good, and we will draft a rb, i suspect in the 4th this year as well. Dont forget m, bell. If henry falls apart as you think- which i doubt, but possible, we have plenty of backups.

One man, no matter who, aside from b. jacobs can not run through all the defenders our line is letting in. We need an upgrade at line and FB-check my sig for where we get that-

Now for rashard is he more touted than AP, is he supposed to be as good or better than him? How about marhsawyn lynch? is he more equal to him? As i remember AP is the only one who TORE it up. Unless, he is that good, his presence will be more along the lines of lynch or mcgahee or henry here. GOod, but not AMAZING that everyone must respect.

lex
02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Just like saying we should draft Mendenhall in the first when we already have Henry and Young.
A player that would have the biggest impact for us is one that comes in at a position we are weak at and can contribute relitively soon.

No, I think Mendenhall would be an upgrade over Henry. It would not likely be the case with a QB when we already have Jay.

lex
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
exactly thats why we dont take mendenhall. Henry is good, young is good, hall is good, and we will draft a rb, i suspect in the 4th this year as well. Dont forget m, bell. If henry falls apart as you think- which i doubt, but possible, we have plenty of backups.

One man, no matter who, aside from b. jacobs can not run through all the defenders our line is letting in. We need an upgrade at line and FB-check my sig for where we get that-

Now for rashard is he more touted than AP, is he supposed to be as good or better than him? How about marhsawyn lynch? is he more equal to him? As i remember AP is the only one who TORE it up. Unless, he is that good, his presence will be more along the lines of lynch or mcgahee or henry here. GOod, but not AMAZING that everyone must respect.

No, Matt Ryan would not be an upgrade over Cutler. Mendenhall would be an upgrade over Henry.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
No, I think Mendenhall would be an upgrade over Henry. It would not likely be the case with a QB when we already have Jay.

I think you just like the SEXY offensive pick.
We have much greater needs than at RB.

turftoad
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
No, Matt Ryan would not be an upgrade over Cutler. Mendenhall would be an upgrade over Henry.

Then we should make sure we get Ryan since you think he would make the biggest impact.

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Best player available comes down to which player is best for your needs. Our opinion is specualtion in comparioson to what the Denver brass thinks, but for example purpose, let's say they rate their needs in priority as S, LB, OT, DT, WR, RB.

If at #12 the #3 safety was available, but the #1 OT was available, then they would have to determine that the BPA at that point based on their needs would be the OT.

Slick
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
We had 10 rushing touchdowns last year, with a red zone scoring percentage of 55.1%.

NET YARDS RUSHING 1957
Total Rushing Plays 429
Average gain per rushing play 4.6

Not too bad for a banged up running back by committee. When the holes were there, our backs found them.

When we got into the redzone, we ran in to the great wall of china. Mendenhall IMO isn't going to change that.

jhns
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
We had 10 rushing touchdowns last year, with a red zone scoring percentage of 55.1%.

NET YARDS RUSHING 1957
Total Rushing Plays 429

Not too bad for a banged up running back by committee. When the holes were there, our backs found them.

When we got into the redzone, we ran in to the great wall of china. Mendenhall IMO isn't going to change that.

I agree with this and with the fact that Mandell is in no way the BPA or even the player that can make the biggest impact at 12.

G_Money
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM

NET YARDS RUSHING 1957
Total Rushing Plays 429

Well we can either get a better OL that can make holes that any living person can get into the end zone through, or we can get a RB who doesn't need the holes to be as big as our current backs need them to be.

Yes, I like having a line that can crack a hole in an 11 man front, but it'd also be nice to have a back who can get 1st downs (the stat you left off, our 1st down % on 3rd and short, regardless of field position) and touchdowns even if the hole isn't 3 feet wide.

I wouldn't draft Mendenhall there, but I am looking for a better RB in the draft.

~G

Slick
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Well we can either get a better OL that can make holes that any living person can get into the end zone through, or we can get a RB who doesn't need the holes to be as big as our current backs need them to be.

Yes, I like having a line that can crack a hole in an 11 man front, but it'd also be nice to have a back who can get 1st downs (the stat you left off, our 1st down % on 3rd and short, regardless of field position) and touchdowns even if the hole isn't 3 feet wide.

I wouldn't draft Mendenhall there, but I am looking for a better RB in the draft.

~G

Around 90 first downs rushing, 180+ passing 22 by penalty regardless of down or distance.

I couldn't find the 3rd and short stat. I've got a test in the morning, and don't have the time to hunt.

Good points though. I'm not against getting a RB period, I just think better line play helps us more either way.

lex
02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Then we should make sure we get Ryan since you think he would make the biggest impact.

No QB in this draft is going to be better than what we have with Cutler.

Get this through your head:
Cutler > Ryan
Mendenhall > Henry

I could have sworn that I pointed out that Henry was outperformed by a rookie. I believe I also mentioned that Henry is one hot piss test away from being gone fore the year, plus who knows how distracted he will be.

lex
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM

NET YARDS RUSHING 1957
Total Rushing Plays 429

Yeah, Im an advocate offensive line as well. The two arent mutually exclusive. Pears was, a undrafted free agent, no? If you want to help Jay, take the pressure off of him. If we're going to get where we want to go a good place to start is by having a great running game again and not just get by. That means being able to run the ball on the road in the playoffs against good teams...not piling on when we're playing teams like KC.

Once again, a better running back should be able to convert long runs more eliminating some of the red zone possessions (because they will be scoring TDs and not getting tackled inside the 10 hopefully).

broncohead
02-09-2008, 03:50 AM
With our current OL performence in the red zone we should hire Wee Man as our goal line back. He might be able to get through.

broncosinindy
02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Scenario 1
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Gosder Cherilous T
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
4 Jordan Dizon OLB
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB

Scenario 2
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Trevor Laws DT
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB

Scenario 3
1 Rashard Mendenhall RB
2 Shawn Crable/Erin Henderson OLB
3 Jordy Nelson WR
4 Shaun Rogers DT
5 Jamie Silva S
5 Dexter Jackson WR
7 Mike Cox FB
7 Brian Witherspoon CB
we dont have a third... and i dont want mendenhall. this draft is deep at tailback no sense in wasting a pick on one.

broncosinindy
02-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, Im an advocate offensive line as well. The two arent mutually exclusive. Pears was, a undrafted free agent, no? If you want to help Jay, take the pressure off of him. If we're going to get where we want to go a good place to start is by having a great running game again and not just get by. That means being able to run the ball on the road in the playoffs against good teams...not piling on when we're playing teams like KC.

Once again, a better running back should be able to convert long runs more eliminating some of the red zone possessions (because they will be scoring TDs and not getting tackled inside the 10 hopefully).
pears was a no body coming into the leauge who is average at best!! and would have been worse with out grahm...

so its like this for me

1. OL 2. DL 4. RB. 4 S

broncosinindy
02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
No QB in this draft is going to be better than what we have with Cutler.

Get this through your head:
Cutler > Ryan
Mendenhall > Henry

I could have sworn that I pointed out that Henry was outperformed by a rookie. I believe I also mentioned that Henry is one hot piss test away from being gone fore the year, plus who knows how distracted he will be.

and his first five games henery OUT PREFORMED the WHO LEAGuE

broncosinindy
02-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Our RBs longest TD run was 9 yards up until the first KC game which was in November. Young had several long runs but often wasnt able to take it all the way. I think Mendenhall would improve on both of those items and as a result we wouldnt have to finish those drives with red zone offense as much.
and it would also be a huge suprise if denver drafted a OL and played him his first year. hasnt happened much since shanny got here

mclark
02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
If you want a running back with the power to run inside the red zone, sign Michael Turner as a free agent.

If we decide we want to stick with the running backs we have, then sign Jordan Gross as a free agent and draft Clady in the first round and re-build our offensive line.

lex
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
and it would also be a huge suprise if denver drafted a OL and played him his first year. hasnt happened much since shanny got here

Thats partly a function of choice. If we had drafted Joe Staley last year, do you honestly not see him playing over Pears or Lepsis? Im not saying we should have drafted Staley but when you tend to draft players in the lower rounds, they are often bigger projects. This skews the thinking.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
If you want a running back with the power to run inside the red zone, sign Michael Turner as a free agent.

If we decide we want to stick with the running backs we have, then sign Jordan Gross as a free agent and draft Clady in the first round and re-build our offensive line.

Turner is gonna want overpaid...and his stock has to be down. Why get in a mini bidding war over a guy when you can draft a RB and end up paying the rookie 1/5 the salary?

claymore
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Turner is gonna want overpaid...and his stock has to be down. Why get in a mini bidding war over a guy when you can draft a RB and end up paying the rookie 1/5 the salary?He was a sixth round pick too right? Im sick of the free agents. I wanna draft talent at RB. Thats one of the best things we have going.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
He was a sixth round pick too right? Im sick of the free agents. I wanna draft talent at RB. Thats one of the best things we have going.

Yep...and he didn't do much when he had his chance in the playoffs. A few decent runs, but overall, he showed nowhere near the explosiveness that he did on mop up dury in 2006...and he would have made himself very rich had he gone off in the playoffs.

claymore
02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Yep...and he didn't do much when he had his chance in the playoffs. A few decent runs, but overall, he showed nowhere near the explosiveness that he did on mop up dury in 2006...and he would have made himself very rich had he gone off in the playoffs.Once in a lifetime chance with LT getting hurt too. I like the guy, and he seems like a charectar dude and all, but we can get the same production for a drafted guy.

mclark
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Turner is gonna want overpaid...and his stock has to be down. Why get in a mini bidding war over a guy when you can draft a RB and end up paying the rookie 1/5 the salary?

With all the good backs coming out in the draft, Turner probably won't get this year what he might have last year. So he might be fairly cheap, all things considered.

There might not be much of a bidding war.

broncohead
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I would like a late Rd. RB. We can get production (if we address OL) from a late Rd. RB.