PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Week 14

Denver Native (Carol)
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9668

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With Peyton Manning lining up in the opposing pocket, the Broncos defense turned to a different look to keep the Colts' star quarterback off-balance.

On the first play of the game, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan had shuffled several of his pieces. Elvis Dumervil was in a three-point stance at left end. Ty Law was in as a fifth defensive back.

The result of the 4-3 nickel package? For just the second time since 2002, Manning threw three interceptions in a game. Facing the No. 2 pass defense in the NFL, the Colts' signal caller was held to a season-low 220 yards passing.

"We had them right where we wanted them and where we wanted to be -- we just couldn't close it out," Law said. "I think we gave them too much cushion in the beginning. But you've got to take your hat off to that team."

The Colts were held scoreless in the third quarter, as the Broncos held Manning's attack to one first down on four offensive possessions. Two of the Colts' drives ended in three-and-outs, while the other two ended in picks by Brian Dawkins and Darcel McBath.

By the end of the quarter, the Broncos had held the ball for 11 minutes, reached Indianapolis territory four times, and were sitting on the Colts' 10-yard line to start the fourth.

But unfortunately the momentum did little to shift the scoreboard -- the Broncos added just three points during that span on a 28-yard field goal by Matt Prater.

"We thought we'd be able to drive it on them and get into the red zone," Kyle Orton said. "And that is their strength as a defense -- their red zone defense. One of the best in the league. We knew we'd have to be on the top of our game."

FIGHTING WITH THE LEAGUE'S BEST

With a 60-minute look at an undefeated team in Week 14, the Broncos got a taste of the top of the league's class.

With a 28-16 loss, Head Coach Josh McDaniels stressed that the team also got a taste of what to remedy to reach its ultimate goals.

"We understand where we want to go," McDaniels said. "We just got a really close-up look of it for four quarters. And when we play against a football team like that, which is one of if not the best in the league, and you make too many mistakes in critical situations and you don't execute better under pressure than they do -- you can't beat them."

While the final score proved McDaniels' point, the team was far from discouraged from its first trip to Lucas Oil Stadium. With eight solo tackles, D.J. Williams said ownership will be crucial to another meeting with the Colts, who have clinched home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

"I saw spurts," Williams said. "I feel that we are good enough to play against them. Hopefully we'll see them again. But if not, that's our fault."

QUICK HITS

Orton's first-half performance against the Colts was one of the best in his pro tenure. He completed 16-of-18 passes for 147 yards, with the 88.8 percent completion percentage marking a career-high ... With four punts for a 41.5 net average, Mitch Berger tied a career-high with his fifth consecutive game registering 40.0 or more net yards per punt. He last accomplished the feat with both the Rams and Saints from 2002-03 ... Dawkins recorded two interceptions against the Colts, marking the second multiple-interception game of his 14-year career. The last came against Washington on Dec. 16, 2001, when he was a member of the Philadelphia Eagles.

shank
12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
i was very wrong about berger.

that 55 yard, fair-caught put may have been one of the prettiest plays i've ever seen, execution-wise.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-14-2009, 11:56 PM
i was very wrong about berger.

that 55 yard, fair-caught put may have been one of the prettiest plays i've ever seen, execution-wise.

He was on with Vic & Gary tonight on Broncos Live, and he said that he was not happy with himself the first few weeks, as he had not kicked since the SB. Also, he wears a size 12 shoe, but he stuffs his kicking foot in an 8-1/2 to punt???? Vic gave him a size 8 shoe, and he stuffed his foot in it. Also, he said the shoes he prefers to wear are no longer made, so he dug out some old ones.

shank
12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
He was on with Vic & Gary tonight on Broncos Live, and he said that he was not happy with himself the first few weeks, as he had not kicked since the SB. Also, he wears a size 12 shoe, but he stuffs his kicking foot in an 8-1/2 to punt???? Vic gave him a size 8 size shoe, and he stuffed his foot in it. Also, he said the shoes he prefers to wear are no longer made, so he dug out some old ones.

wow, why?

i remember eddie mac used to wear a size small and cut the toes out to save weight and make him run faster (gotta love him). why would a punter practice foot-binding?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
wow, why?

i remember eddie mac used to wear a size small and cut the toes out to save weight and make him run faster (gotta love him). why would a punter practice foot-binding?

Here is the video from tonight.

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=65529@kcnc.dayport.com

gobroncsnv
12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
wow, why?

kind of the reverse of the golf "oversize club" theory to increase the sweet spot??? I don't know, I could see why you wouldn't want a loose shoe, but one that small???

shank
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
kind of the reverse of the golf "oversize club" theory to increase the sweet spot??? I don't know, I could see why you wouldn't want a loose shoe, but one that small???

lol, i totally thought of golf too. i would think larger foot means larger margain for error. i can see how a tight shoe would probably give a better surface for more power... but an 8.5?! that's crazy.

claymore
12-15-2009, 09:49 AM
lol, i totally thought of golf too. i would think larger foot means larger margain for error. i can see how a tight shoe would probably give a better surface for more power... but an 8.5?! that's crazy.

Thats a hoof in comparison to a 12.

http://thepotvinreport.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/gus.jpg

Dirk
12-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I guess that old question of...."You know what they say about guys with big feet?" .....They where big shoes!

Doesn't apply to punters....