PDA

View Full Version : Were Broncos trying to get Marshall the record?

Dzone
12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
More than winning the game? Dan Patrick show and guests today felt that they were trying to get him the record and had accepted the defeat. A screen pass and then an 8 yard slant.

Dortoh
12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
http://curseofthedjinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Talking-Heads.jpg

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
If you're talking about the last drive, I don't think there's any doubt that's what they were trying to do. But let's be real. They were down by more than one score, and less than a minute to play.

That's when you do something for a player like Marshall. If he's within one catch of an all-time NFL record, you make sure he gets it. I have no problem with it.

claymore
12-14-2009, 10:25 AM
If you're talking about the last drive, I don't think there's any doubt that's what they were trying to do. But let's be real. They were down by more than one score, and less than a minute to play.

That's when you do something for a player like Marshall. If he's within one catch of an all-time NFL record, you make sure he gets it. I have no problem with it.

If thats what JMCD did than kudos to him. Very logical especially in a contract year for Marshall.

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2009, 10:29 AM
If thats what JMCD did than kudos to him. Very logical especially in a contract year for Marshall.

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. Are you now criticizing McD if he indeed helped Marshall get the record?

If so, how would you have felt if we went away from Marshall to keep him from getting the record?

claymore
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I want to make sure I'm reading this right. Are you now criticizing McD if he indeed helped Marshall get the record?

If so, how would you have felt if we went away from Marshall to keep him from getting the record?

No, I was giving him Kudos. I can see how it might have been read as sarcastic.

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
No, I was giving him Kudos. I can see how it might have been read as sarcastic.

Good. I was about to get Medieval on you. :D

claymore
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Good. I was about to get Medieval on you. :D

I have many questions for whoever was calling plays. But zero questions for whoever said "Get Marshall the record" in the final 3 minutes of the game.

broncofaninfla
12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I wish we would have thrown Marshall the ball on every short yardage situation that Moreno went down on a arm tackle on...........

weazel
12-14-2009, 10:58 AM
More than winning the game? Dan Patrick show and guests today felt that they were trying to get him the record and had accepted the defeat. A screen pass and then an 8 yard slant.

ridiculous. close thread.

Elevation inc
12-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I wish we would have thrown Marshall the ball on every short yardage situation that Moreno went down on a arm tackle on...........

i wouldnt call 3 indy players blowing up our weak interior OL, and stuffing Moreno all at the same time....before he took a step morenos fault.....

our OL stunk it up out there quite bad on short situations....not to mention if the darn draw and dive arent working run the ******* ball outside....lol

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Moreno sucks...McDaniels is an idiot...the Broncos are horrible. Every week I feel more and more like I'm amongst Cowboys fans

broncofaninfla
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Moreno sucks...McDaniels is an idiot...the Broncos are horrible. Every week I feel more and more like I'm amongst Cowboys fans

So I should settle for mediocrity when I truly feel we have the solutions to our problems on our roster and with scheme adjustments? Sorry this is a forum, what's the point in talking about all things broncos if we all agree on things. This is my view and I currently don't see it any other way......

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
So I should settle for mediocrity when I truly feel we have the solutions to our problems on our roster and with scheme adjustments? Sorry this is a forum, what's the point in talking about all things broncos if we all agree on things. This is my view and I currently don't see it any other way......

I respect the fact that you have an opinion, but I think you and others sometimes need to take more perspective into account.

Basically what I'm reading is that people think Hillis is the solution to short yardage issues and that McD knows it, but simply REFUSES to acknowledge it.

Personally, I'm not so stuck on a mans arrogance that I think ANY coach would simply refuse to utilize a potential answer to a problem. That's just ridiculous. There is a reason why McD is doing what he is doing and so far, he's been pretty successful. So I'm going to assume he knows more than I do and has a reason for his decisions OTHER than ego.

weazel
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
i wouldnt call 3 indy players blowing up our weak interior OL, and stuffing Moreno all at the same time....before he took a step morenos fault.....

our OL stunk it up out there quite bad on short situations....not to mention if the darn draw and dive arent working run the ******* ball outside....lol

oh man, the one where they pushed one of our left lineman back 6 yards into Moreno was pathetic. I dont even remember who it was, but I hope they show it to him all week.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Wasn't this thread about Marshall's record? HOw did this turn into ANOTHER thread about an argument about Hillis??

Yes.. I believe the screen pass was to put the ball in Marshall's hands and get him the record (NOT to mention the fact that he was the ONLY one on the team that seemed to be getting anything done). Then, once that ball was thrown at his feet.. the next play was to get that pass out of the way and get him his well deserved record.

Elevation inc
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
oh man, the one where they pushed one of our left lineman back 6 yards into Moreno was pathetic. I dont even remember who it was, but I hope they show it to him all week.

i rember one play where a CB, 2 Dt's and A LB were on moreno a split second after he grabbed the ball from orton...it ended up a 3 yd loss on 3rd and 1

the blocking was horrible......i have no doubt we will be addressing center before rd 3 in the draft and Guard as well.....

as for the OP i belive they were and i have no problem with it, congrats to marhsall he deserves the payday after this year, did you all see how touched that woman was when he gave her the ball.....classy act....

pnbronco
12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
A big Congrats to Marshall!!! :salute:

Coach....:hug:

sanluis
12-14-2009, 12:11 PM

No way!! Every time Bmarsh touches the ball he is a threat to score. So no! I don't think anyone on Denver's sideline gave two flips about any records.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!! :D:lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
It turned into a thread about Hillis because a certain poster or two still feels like they didn't get their money's worth out of their cable and hot wings because Hillis hasn't earned a role on the team. Too bad for them.

WARHORSE
12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I have absolutely no problem with McD making an effort to get Marshall the record. To come into the fourth quarter knowing that Brandon had 19 or whatever receptions because Indy kept him in single coverage like idiots, why not help a BRONCO get something he can keep for the rest of his life?

The record belongs not only to Brandon, but to every Bronco fan.

This is an encouragement to every player on the team. Big games like that mean big money. And when the players know McD as a headcoach isnt going to step in the way of opportunity for them, and on top of it is going to support it......well, the lockeroom looks at you in an entirely different way.

How many headcoaches remove guys from the field when they are getting close to escalators?

This is the opposite, and I applaud McD if he purposely did that.

Brandon WAS the Broncos yesterday. Pretty much the entire offense.....by himself.

Let the man get the record. Geez.:salute:

DenBronx
12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
he's our biggest threat on offense and he was clutch/unstoppable all game. why not put the ball in his hands? i liked the lateral as well.

now if we can just get eddie royal to show up. :tsk: what in the heck is going on with this dude???

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM

That was Clady who got blown up on that play. And of course some blamed Moreno for getting tackled in the backfield in the GDT thread after.

Too funny.

JDL
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
It turned into a thread about Hillis because a certain poster or two still feels like they didn't get their money's worth out of their cable and hot wings because Hillis hasn't earned a role on the team. Too bad for them.

Let's be intellectually honest here or at least try to be.

One poster accused other posters generally of being TOO negative all the time and like Cowboys fans and SPECIFICALLY accused, in general, others saying things like "Moreno sucks" etc etc etc.

Another fan reacted to that statement.

And THAT is how things got off-topic. Let's just try to get things right around here. I know there is some weird Positive v. Negative thing going here (though both sides are really just negative... one versus the team and one group versus fans who are critical of the team) and I suppose both sides get carried away sometimes, but at least be accurate if you are going to say who did what to derail what thread. :tsk:

TXBRONC
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
he's our biggest threat on offense and he was clutch/unstoppable all game. why not put the ball in his hands? i liked the lateral as well.

now if we can just get eddie royal to show up. :tsk: what in the heck is going on with this dude???

I don't thiink Royal's lack of production was really his fault. The Colts couldn't cover Marshall no matter what they did so it's no wonder Royal was non exsistent. Only four players (Royal included) caught passes other than Marshall.

Medford Bronco
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Moreno sucks...McDaniels is an idiot...the Broncos are horrible. Every week I feel more and more like I'm amongst Red Sox fans

I fixed it for you.
:lol:

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I fixed it for you.
:lol:

I guess it should be "insert team here".

But all last week I listened to how the Cowboys would beat SD and today and tomorrow all I'll hear is how bad they are. Come Wednesday, it will start over and I'll hear how they are going to beat the Saints. it's an endless cycle.

Just like McD being the devil, then being God when we were 6-0...then he sucked again...then he was good again...and now he cant call plays.

Next week......................?

Elevation inc
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I guess it should be "insert team here".

But all last week I listened to how the Cowboys would beat SD and today and tomorrow all I'll hear is how bad they are. Come Wednesday, it will start over and I'll hear how they are going to beat the Saints. it's an endless cycle.

Just like McD being the devil, then being God when we were 6-0...then he sucked again...then he was good again...and now he cant call plays.

Next week......................?

MCdaniels will be god again for sweeping the raiders.....:salute:

WTE
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Wasn't this thread about Marshall's record? HOw did this turn into ANOTHER thread about an argument about Hillis??

Yes.. I believe the screen pass was to put the ball in Marshall's hands and get him the record (NOT to mention the fact that he was the ONLY one on the team that seemed to be getting anything done). Then, once that ball was thrown at his feet.. the next play was to get that pass out of the way and get him his well deserved record.

Oh, so it's not OK to run up the score but it is OK to run up the receptions?

:confused:

Northman
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM

We suck, we are worse than the Lions, Chiefs, and Raiders all together.

Dortoh
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Dont take it out on us just because your coach has lost the team and your run is over. :D

weazel
12-14-2009, 06:30 PM
That was Clady who got blown up on that play. And of course some blamed Moreno for getting tackled in the backfield in the GDT thread after.

Too funny.

to be fair, if you watch it, his legs were taken out on him. But it looked horrible.

Dean
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I respect the fact that you have an opinion, but I think you and others sometimes need to take more perspective into account.

Basically what I'm reading is that people think Hillis is the solution to short yardage issues and that McD knows it, but simply REFUSES to acknowledge it.

Personally, I'm not so stuck on a mans arrogance that I think ANY coach would simply refuse to utilize a potential answer to a problem. That's just ridiculous. There is a reason why McD is doing what he is doing and so far, he's been pretty successful. So I'm going to assume he knows more than I do and has a reason for his decisions OTHER than ego.

After coaching football for over 35 years and basketball for 30, I have seen it time and time again. Usually it is justified by saying that in the long run it is best to not play John Doe and for a game or two that might be correct.

Dzone
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
It was definitely cool of McD to get him the record. I also thought it was a real class act of marshall to hand balls to fans after TDs. I guess people can stop0 calling him Baby TO

LordTrychon
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't think it's really a question. Towards the end of the game, it was as though Marshall would take three steps, and the camera would turn to him as Orton released.

I think the last drive, they were shooting for the record, but before that, they were merely taking advantage of the fact that he was unstoppable.

If I remember right, I think it was Davis or Elway that said there was someone on the team who went to Shanahan towards the end of the game to let him know if there was a streak to be extended or a record that could be helped... if it didn't interfere with the flow of the game.

Actually, I think it was Rod. Kept his catch streak alive once or twice at the end of the game with a quick screen, etc.

This was one of those situations.

Medford Bronco
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
We suck, we are worse than the Lions, Chiefs, and Raiders all together.

lol we are worse than the 1976 Bucs and 1976 Seahawks
:laugh:

Ravage!!!
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
lol we are worse than the 1976 Bucs and 1976 Seahawks
:laugh:

Shouldn't the 2008 Lions be on that list now?

Ravage!!!
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM

:lol: yes! :beer:

nevcraw
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's really a question. Towards the end of the game, it was as though Marshall would take three steps, and the camera would turn to him as Orton released.

I think the last drive, they were shooting for the record, but before that, they were merely taking advantage of the fact that he was unstoppable.

If I remember right, I think it was Davis or Elway that said there was someone on the team who went to Shanahan towards the end of the game to let him know if there was a streak to be extended or a record that could be helped... if it didn't interfere with the flow of the game.

Actually, I think it was Rod. Kept his catch streak alive once or twice at the end of the game with a quick screen, etc.

This was one of those situations.

I think I've seen highlights of Kubes doing just this. Once or twice for Elway and once for TD.

BCJ
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
we werent going after the record, we were going after a win. They couldnt stop him and we exploited the situation. Simple as that. Why break off of something that is clearly working. Orton could have pulled a Babe Ruth and pointed at Marshall stating, "I am throwing to him!" and did it without any negative results. We were trying to just win the mother ******* game!

LordTrychon
12-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I think I've seen highlights of Kubes doing just this. Once or twice for Elway and once for TD.

Possibly. Might have been another assistant that told Kubes though. Dunno.