PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with Mcd's playing calling on offense?

broncofaninfla
12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Are you happy with Mcd's playing calling on offense?

topscribe
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
No, but then, I'm now a coach, either. :confused:

-----

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
No, but it'll get better next year, you heard it here first.

Northman
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Was i happy with all of Shanahan's playcalling? Nope. Guess when things are going well all is well when we lose.....

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Was i happy with all of Shanahan's playcalling? Nope. Guess when things are going well all is well when we lose.....

I like being 8-5, the minute josh stops calling that stupid trap play we'll be solid, majority of his other plays are great to march down the field. Once we figure that red zone thing out we'll be golden.

broncofaninfla
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm not impressed with Mcd as a OC at all. Our offensive scheme is a liability to our team at times and Mcd's inability to call a play best suited for the personal we currently have on our roster is a huge concern for me. We lost a winnable game today because of poor play calling and poor personnel decisions.

EMB6903
12-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I am fine with the play calls just want to know when he realizes that Moreno is not the best option on short yard situations.

Northman
12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I like being 8-5, the minute josh stops calling that stupid trap play we'll be solid, majority of his other plays are great to march down the field. Once we figure that red zone thing out we'll be golden.

Nah, Josh is far from perfect but this is his first season. He is a rookie HC trying to make a name for himself and with all the turmoil this year the guy has done a great job of keeping the team motivated with a no quit attitude. He has brought in other coaches to help improve this team which has worked but there is still work to be done. Its not going to be fixed overnight yet here we are at 8-5 and people STILL cant be happy at all in Bronco nation. Im having an absolute ball watching this team compete again which is a breath of fresh air considering what we have been doing the last 3 years. I probably need to take a break from this board. I swear i think im on a Raider, Lions, or Chief board sometimes. :lol:

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Nah, Josh is far from perfect but this is his first season. He is a rookie HC trying to make a name for himself and with all the turmoil this year the guy has done a great job of keeping the team motivated with a no quit attitude. He has brought in other coaches to help improve this team which has worked but there is still work to be done. Its not going to be fixed overnight yet here are at 8-5 and people STILL cant be happy at all in Bronco nation. Im having an absolute ball watching this team compete again which is a breath of fresh air considering what we have been doing the last 3 years. I probably need to take a break from this board. I swear i think im on a Raider, Lions, or Chief board sometimes. :lol:

I don't get this kind of thinking. Sure the team is doing better than expected BEFORE the season. But that was 13 games and 14 weeks ago. Expectations changed BASED one what the team is doing, what the opposing teams ar doing... NOW. Not a 14 week ago "guess." So the fact that our expectations RISE due to what we see, or drop based on what we see as the season progresses, just makes sense.

Personally.. I've never been one to complain about the play calling. I don't think it makes sense. The coaches are the ones that spend the 110 hours of watching game film. They are the ones that look for the tendencies, the patterns, knowing what the other team does. We just watch the outcome and judge from there.

Personally... I would question the thought of GOING for it on 4th down much more than the play that was called. Thats situational strategy, and different altogether the complaining about the actual play call itself. The play itself comes down to who executes better, teh offense or defense. Always.

Northman
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't get this kind of thinking. Sure the team is doing better than expected BEFORE the season. But that was 13 games and 14 weeks ago. Expectations changed BASED one what the team is doing, what the opposing teams ar doing... NOW.

No they dont. At least they shouldnt to anyone who has really payed attention to this ballclub and understand everything involved from it from coaching all the way down to talent, depth, and injuries on the roster. The fact that with this squad and all the craziness of the offseason the Broncos have really OVERACHIEVED this year. They still have a crapload of issues that need to be resolved. Just because they won 8 games doesnt mean they have become the best team in the NFL and a true SB contender. Anyone who is all of a sudden believing that are smoking crack.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
No they dont. At least they shouldnt to anyone who has really payed attention to this ballclub and understand everything involved from it from coaching all the way down to talent, depth, and injuries on the roster. The fact that with this squad and all the craziness of the offseason the Broncos have really OVERACHIEVED this year. They still have a crapload of issues that need to be resolved. Just because they won 8 games doesnt mean they have become the best team in the NFL and a true SB contender. Anyone who is all of a sudden believing that are smoking crack.

I'm not much for crack, but I certainly am sipping on the kool-aid. :cool:

Nomad
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I am fine with the play calls just want to know when he realizes that Moreno is not the best option on short yard situations.

Yeah, personnel decisions are a head scratcher sometimes!! Good teams never have an excuse because they always have another good player to back up another when injuries occur

Northman
12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not much for crack, but I certainly am sipping on the kool-aid. :cool:

Which is fine, just so as long as if we dont make the playoffs or get run out of town you still understand there is some work that needs to be done.

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM

Sure they do. Expectations change from the beginning of the season to how things are going THROUGHOUT the season, each and every year.

Plus....

Those expectations are different than looking at whats going down, on the field, at the time. Just because the team's success is better than the pre-season expectations, doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in play on the field, or.. even the play on a certain play. Whether that be not being able to fight through a tackle, make a catch, or having a holding call.

But just because the team is doing better than expected doesn't mean I can't/won't be disappointed in play calls or execution. This is the NFL.... any given Sunday.

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Which is fine, just so as long as if we dont make the playoffs or get run out of town you still understand there is some work that needs to be done.

True. Plenty of work. But if we don't make the playoffs, that would be the FIRST time that a team went 6-0 didn't. So once you hit that 6-0 mark, don't you think its reasonable for expectations to rise? To match what every other team that has gone 6-0 has done?

Watchthemiddle
12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't have a problem with the playcalling because I am not in a booth or the sidelines and can only see what the camera shows me on the t.v.

What I do have a problem with is the execution of the plays called. SHort yardage plays regardless of personel need to be blocked. A LB or DT should not shoot through a gap when you are trying to pick up one yard.

Northman
12-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Sure they do. Expectations change from the beginning of the season to how things are going THROUGHOUT the season, each and every year.

Plus....

Those expectations are different than looking at whats going down, on the field, at the time. Just because the team's success is better than the pre-season expectations, doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in play on the field, or.. even the play on a certain play. Whether that be not being able to fight through a tackle, make a catch, or having a holding call.

But just because the team is doing better than expected doesn't mean I can't/won't be disappointed in play calls or execution. This is the NFL.... any given Sunday.

Being bummed about certain plays, playcalling etc are fine. I get bummed when the defense gives up easy TD's. I get bummed when wideouts drop passes. I get bummed when guys like Hillis should be touching the ball more in short yardage situations. However, i just dont have meltdowns about them every time the team loses. We've seen it a lot this year where people just arent satisfied at all with ANYthing this team has done. Ive seen more negative comments from certain posters here than positive and if you are right about people's expectations changing than why have i not seen more positive posts from those people? Either way, i believe i have a pretty good grasp on what this team can and cannot do with the setup we have currently. I believe i know what they can accomplish when they dont make the silly mistakes or dont play up to the level they need to to accomplish those tasks. However, i just wont throw in the towel or condemn this team when they have already surpassed what i thought they could accomplish this year already. I guess to me it just doesnt make sense to nitpick the obvious when it comes to this team right now. :confused:

Watchthemiddle
12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Let me break it down....

75% of the time I don't have a problem with the plays called.

It seems like there are about 25% during the game that haver me...:confused:

Even things like going for the 2 pt conversion at the end. I understand the logic like being down by 4 is not worse than 5, but being down by 4 is better than being down by 5 if we hold them to a FG at the end. Now, we didn't hold them and gave up a freaking long time consuming drive that ended in a TD, but .......why run the ball for 2 pt's? That had me ...:confused:

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Being bummed about certain plays, playcalling etc are fine. I get bummed when the defense gives up easy TD's. I get bummed when wideouts drop passes. I get bummed when guys like Hillis should be touching the ball more in short yardage situations. However, i just dont have meltdowns about them every time the team loses. We've seen it a lot this year where people just arent satisfied at all with ANYthing this team has done. Ive seen more negative comments from certain posters here than positive and if you are right about people's expectations changing than why have i not seen more positive posts from those people? Either way, i believe i have a pretty good grasp on what this team can and cannot do with the setup we have currently. I believe i know what they can accomplish when they dont make the silly mistakes or dont play up to the level they need to to accomplish those tasks. However, i just wont throw in the towel or condemn this team when they have already surpassed what i thought they could accomplish this year already. I guess to me it just doesnt make sense to nitpick the obvious when it comes to this team right now. :confused:

Ahhhh.. I gotcha. Now I see where you are coming from and completely agree. :beer:

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Let me break it down....

75% of the time I don't have a problem with the plays called.

It seems like there are about 25% during the game that haver me...:confused:

Even things like going for the 2 pt conversion at the end. I understand the logic like being down by 4 is not worse than 5, but being down by 4 is better than being down by 5 if we hold them to a FG at the end. Now, we didn't hold them and gave up a freaking long time consuming drive that ended in a TD, but .......why run the ball for 2 pt's? That had me ...:confused:

Because 18-21 puts you down by a FG. If you kick, you are down by a TD, if you miss on the 2pt conversion you are a TD down. You have to score either way. If you hold them to a FG, then you STILL need to score a TD, but and still have the 2pt conversion. So the 3 points down was the determining factor as well as STILL having a chance to tie with a 2 pt conversion if you fail.

If you kick the xp, you are forcing your team into a TD MUST situation.... no matter what your defense does.

pnbronco
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Nah, Josh is far from perfect but this is his first season. He is a rookie HC trying to make a name for himself and with all the turmoil this year the guy has done a great job of keeping the team motivated with a no quit attitude. He has brought in other coaches to help improve this team which has worked but there is still work to be done. Its not going to be fixed overnight yet here we are at 8-5 and people STILL cant be happy at all in Bronco nation. Im having an absolute ball watching this team compete again which is a breath of fresh air considering what we have been doing the last 3 years. I probably need to take a break from this board. I swear i think im on a Raider, Lions, or Chief board sometimes. :lol:

I was suppose to leave at 1:30 to meet some friends and it was 1:50 before I could tear myself away. I was yelling my head off, in fact my son came down stairs saying what is going on, the dogs were going oh brother and I was going horse. I left the house smiling from ear to ear. I saw a team that fought back and even though we didn't win I see us going in the right direction. So I'm having a ball too.

I made a 6-10 prediction on some solid facts and watching this team for too many years. A new Coach(s), new system, over 50% of the team is new. I think there are 3 or 4 players on this team that were with the team the last time the Broncos were in the playoffs. Not to mention the all the turmoil from the off season. So I choose to be happy that this team has far exceeded my expectations.

I don't know about the play calling, I'm not a coach and I don't really understand how all that works, so I don't worry about it. I do know that Coach is a rookie but wants to win and will do what needs to be done in time.

honz
12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Play calling can only do so much for your team. At some point our guys need to man up and not get knocked on their asses when we are trying to convert a 4th and 1. It doesn't matter what play you call or where you run it when there are three defenders meeting our runner in the backfield.

broncophan
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I was happy with his playcalling when they were 6-0.
I was not happy with his playcalling when they lost their next 4.
I was happy with his playcalling when they won their next 2.
I was not happy with his playcalling when they lost today.

elsid13
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Mcdaniels appears to develops a game plan with set number of plays for each game and sticks with it. He doesn't appear to be very flexible when things aren't working during the games. When he right his system looks good, when he not right the offense, both NE and Denver, struggles. I wish he would be willing to include some roll outs and naked bootlegs, just to help the offense line and force defenses to be honest.

shank
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Play calling can only do so much for your team. At some point our guys need to man up and not get knocked on their asses when we are trying to convert a 4th and 1. It doesn't matter what play you call or where you run it when there are three defenders meeting our runner in the backfield.

i had no problem with the runs on 3rd and short in the beginning of the game... but after seeing them fail, miserably, all day... i begin to have a problem with them when they continue to be called on critical plays and continue to fail, miserably.

broncophan
12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
hell.....I was more concerned with Nolan's game plan on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball......obviously whatever planning he did this week was a waste of time.....although I was happy with the defensive adjustments as the game went on......down 21-0 though .....it was too late...

Dean
12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
We were playing the number 1 offense in the NFL. They normally average 27+ point a game. our defense forced them into three interceptions on their side of the field. If we are going to complain, shouldn't it be the offense we are complaining about?

BroncoWave
12-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm not impressed with Mcd as a OC at all. Our offensive scheme is a liability to our team at times and Mcd's inability to call a play best suited for the personal we currently have on our roster is a huge concern for me. We lost a winnable game today because of poor play calling and poor personnel decisions.

McD didn't throw the awful INT in the endzone or miss a make-able FG. Now I'm not particularly pleased with the playcalling either but the plays he did call definitely put us in a position to win had they been executed better.

shank
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
McD didn't throw the awful INT in the endzone or miss a make-able FG. Now I'm not particularly pleased with the playcalling either but the plays he did call definitely put us in a position to win had they been executed better.

that's why the short yardage stuff sticks with me. we saw time after time after time after time that those plays weren't working, but kept doing them anyway.

you've gotta be able to see when the other team has your number and find different ways of picking those up.

broncophan
12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
We were playing the number 1 offense in the NFL. They normally average 27+ point a game. our defense forced them into three interceptions on their side of the field. If we are going to complain, shouldn't it be the offense we are complaining about?

I realize who we were playing....As i said.....I was happy with the defensive adjustments we made......we spot a team 21 points....esp. the colts.....doesn't make a whole lot of difference what our offense does......it's a loss....

bcbronc
12-13-2009, 10:59 PM
so far this season, I've felt the play calling has been more "offensive" than "genius".

too predictable, too conservative, too keep-doing-the-same-thing-even-though-it-hasn't-worked-all-season.

for example, how many times have we seen a goal-to-go with a shot-gun spread formation draw? how many times has it worked?

but the team is learning a new scheme, and McD is learning what his players can and can't do. hopefully the play calling will become more effective next season.

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Guys... a new scheme doesn't have anything to do with that. You don't have to watch football long to hear the players all tell us the same thing.. "Every team runs the same plays." Especially running plays.

We put WAYYyyy tooo much into this "new scheme" excuse. Braylon Edwards was traded half way into the season, never played a single offseason workout or pre-season game with the Jets, and was able to contribute the very first week with the them. We all know about Micheal Crabtree's hold-out and the number of regular season games he missed (6?)(a rookie, never played in the NFL before).. yet came in on week ONE he was back and was immediately effective.

14 weeks into the season... the LAST thing that is the problem, is "learning" a new system. It might be injuries. It might be personnel. But, by now, its NOT the "learning a new scheme."

DenBronx
12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
when play calling keeps you out of the playoffs then yeah i have a problem with it. but this is josh mcdaniels first year and i do think he will get better.

Italianmobstr7
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
For most of the year, yes. For today, no.

bcbronc
12-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Guys... a new scheme doesn't have anything to do with that. You don't have to watch football long to hear the players all tell us the same thing.. "Every team runs the same plays." Especially running plays.

We put WAYYyyy tooo much into this "new scheme" excuse. Braylon Edwards was traded half way into the season, never played a single offseason workout or pre-season game with the Jets, and was able to contribute the very first week with the them. We all know about Micheal Crabtree's hold-out and the number of regular season games he missed (6?)(a rookie, never played in the NFL before).. yet came in on week ONE he was back and was immediately effective.

14 weeks into the season... the LAST thing that is the problem, is "learning" a new system. It might be injuries. It might be personnel. But, by now, its NOT the "learning a new scheme."

hogwash. do you remember Tom Brady saying it took him 3 years to get comfortable with this system?

Or how about when Shanny said he was ready to open up the entire play book with Plummer...in his third season as a Bronco.

If every team runs the same plays, why have offensive coordinators? why spent hundreds of hours breaking down film? why run scout Offenses in practice? seems like a waste of time if you're facing the same offense week in, week out.

rookies like Crabtree, who miss training camp, don't necessarily run every play in the playbook. established veterans like Edwards can run what they pick up. regardless, I'm sure you'll agree that they'll be even MORE effective when they've been with the team for a year or two. and when it's an entire team learning a new system, it's a different situation.

especially when an offensive system relies on a lot of pre and post snap reads that require the qb and the wr to be on the same page (such as McD's). when you run a complex offense, it is going to take some time to have it become second nature. during this period, you're going to simplify the play calling. offenses are not static; every year every offensive coordinator adds to what they ran last year, even for the most basic of offenses. this is pretty basic stuff that I'd expect you to know, rav.

weazel
12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
today's play calling was horrible. Too many times I found myself just shaking my head in disbelief. He looked like he was grasping at straws.

no deep threat
too conservative
no imagination in the running game
predictable (my 10 yr old son was predicting the plays)
uninspired
untimely runs
untimely gambles on 4th down.
I could go on, but why?

the worst part of it was that after he would call the worst plays imaginable, he would run over to the players and scream at them like it was all their fault.

Ravage!!!
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
hogwash. do you remember Tom Brady saying it took him 3 years to get comfortable with this system?

I'm sorry. But you are wrong. Listen to EVERY player that has moved around. There are only SO many routes to run. There are only so many holes to run to. Formations, the names, and where you break for reads may be something that varies. But the coaches do NOT NOT NOT come up with "different plays" on a regular basis. Sure there are some that come up with wrinkles on occasion, but its not an entire SYSTEM of new plays. Hooks, outs, ins, flies, posts, hitches... are all the same. Why do you think the QBs like Aikman and Jaws can break down HOW the QB should have read the defense without knowing the system? How do you think RBs can come in as rookies and be perfectly effective?

Don't take my word for it. Take the NFL players that talk either as commentators or as anylists. Veterans that change teams talk about how its trying to master the new termonology thats the most difficult part of learning the offense.

If every team runs the same plays, why have offensive coordinators? why spent hundreds of hours breaking down film? why run scout Offenses in practice? seems like a waste of time if you're facing the same offense week in, week out.

Look. Lets say you have 2 WRs, 1 TE, and a slot reciever. Thats four different WRs. How many different formations can I have with JUST those four players alone? Now. Let's say you ONLY have the IN route, the OUT route, the Fly, Post, the Flag, the Curl and the Slant. Thats the only routes we are using right now in my offense. So I have four receivers using 7 different patterns. If I don't even change formations, how many different combinations of routes-n-receivers do I have.. with just those alone? Now.. change formations ONE time, and redo all the combinations of routes again. Then, once you use all the formations with the 2 WR, 1TE, 1 slot... take out a RB and throw in another WR. Now.. simply add TWO more routes to every possibility (lets say flat and hitch). Now I have that many MORE combinations with the different formations and add in RBs out of the backfield. Without even TRYING, I've given you a formula that will have HUNDREDS of plays.

A team can't use HUNDREDS of plays each week. But they will work on the plays within the formations they choose to use to ATTACK the defense they are playing. Trying to use certain formations to confuse their defense. Do you think the defense knows what kind of combination of routes you are using ... EVEN if you use the same formation every time?

especially when an offensive system relies on a lot of pre and post snap reads that require the qb and the wr to be on the same page (such as McD's).
of course. This is important. That does take time, but this doesn't have anything to do with what I was saying.

Also.. McDaniel's offense isn't any more complicated than every other team's in the NFL. He's not asking more from his receivers/QB than Indy, Philly, NE, NY, Pitt, AZ, Dallas, Minnesota...blah blah blah.

when you run a complex offense, it is going to take some time to have it become second nature. during this period, you're going to simplify the play calling. offenses are not static; every year every offensive coordinator adds to what they ran last year, even for the most basic of offenses. this is pretty basic stuff that I'd expect you to know, rav.

This is all true. But again.. doesn't take from the facts I've laid out for you. Listen to the NFL players talk about this. This isn't something new I've made up. They talk about it all the time.

titan
12-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I like seeing the screen pass back in the Broncos offense (especially the ones where Orton fakes one way and throws back the other way, like the Graham td vs kc). They are almost to the point where they are screening TOO much - would like to see more downfield throws. The Washington game shows Orton can hit the long pass if a receiver is open (2 out of 3 times anyway)

I am most disappointed with the short yardage play calling. How many times have the Broncos been stopped in short yardage? I don't see much variation in their short yardage play calls (not many play action fakes and short passes for example)

Overall though I like what McD is doing.

bcbronc
12-14-2009, 12:10 AM
This is all true. But again.. doesn't take from the facts I've laid out for you. Listen to the NFL players talk about this. This isn't something new I've made up. They talk about it all the time.

you are taking the oft-said commentators comments of "every team runs the same plays" too literally and confusing PLAYS for SYSTEMS.

of course every team runs an off-tackle power I. and of course every receiver runs a stick, flag, post and fly. but how they run them varies greatly. unless you are arguing that Mike Martz, Andy Reid, and Mike Shanahan all run the same offensive system. sure, they all have some of the same components in their systems, but NFL offenses are a heck of a lot more complicated than "you run a flag, you run a curl, you run an out, you stay in and block". there is reading and timing involved, and not just between the QB and the WR, but between the WR and the CB, S, QB, other WRs etc.

how many plays do you think exist in the average NFL playbook? 30? 50? 100? 500? I don't know, but I bet its more than 30. and I bet it varies coach to coach. and I'll guarantee you that McDaniels isn't calling the same variety of plays in this, his first year as a Bronco, as he was in his last year as a Patriot.

so Cris Collinsworth notwithstanding, I'll stick to the well-established fact that offenses evolve year to year and no 1st year OC installs his ENTIRE repertoire in his first season.

T.K.O.
12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
the only thing i absolutely hated was the short yardage plays where moreno was obviously to tired to run and yet we went with him anyway.....cost us the game in my opinion.

broncofaninfla
12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
the only thing i absolutely hated was the short yardage plays where moreno was obviously to tired to run and yet we went with him anyway.....cost us the game in my opinion.

I agree, our inability to convert on short yardage issues cost us the game. We've had this issue all season long and it hasn't been fixed yet.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-14-2009, 01:07 PM

I think Moreno is fine on short yardage, but when you're trying to run at a defense that's stacked the LOS against the run and you don't even have a lead FB in the game for the runner (ie shotgun draws or that terrible double TE set with no lead blocker we tried to use on 4th down, twice) it makes it very hard for him to get past the LOS. The defense just has to plug the gaps and hold their ground and they win.

Also, is there a reason that Orton can't just dive for a 1st down on 3rd/4th and 1? It's a lot easier to have the QB just fall forward than to have your RB start 7 yds deep and make a yard with the entire defense looking run.

claymore
12-14-2009, 01:09 PM
today's play calling was horrible. Too many times I found myself just shaking my head in disbelief. He looked like he was grasping at straws.

no deep threat
too conservative
no imagination in the running game
predictable (my 10 yr old son was predicting the plays)
uninspired
untimely runs
untimely gambles on 4th down.
I could go on, but why?

the worst part of it was that after he would call the worst plays imaginable, he would run over to the players and scream at them like it was all their fault.
Stop posting now. I want to remember you like this. :D

underrated29
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been Highly critical of Joshs play calling all year. I still am. It all starts with his stupid trap play. I hate it right now. Yes, i do like the zbs better. We perform better with it too. Now, i could care less if we scratch the zbs altogether and move to traps and pulls, i am not loyal to a sytem or anything like that. I want results. Thats all i care about,...wins. So far many times when we lose i am also pissed about our play calling.

It cracks me up when we have the 3rd and 1 and we call the same, sprint left or trap. I know its coming, the defense knows its coming, and the announcers even said. Wow- its like they knew the play was coming. ITS BECAUSE THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet, Josh continues to call it. I have yet to see us have a play where our FB lead blocks and the run is designed to actually follow the FB. I saw on 3 occasions last night where we had the FB block, but the run was designed to go the other way. The rest of the time it was single back set.

I also would like to see us give our mack truck hillis some short yard shots. Knowshon is my boy, but hillis is stronger. He is, and when our OL gets blown up because they have to block something that they are not designed to do atleast hillis can probably drag a few defenders for the 1 yard.

slim
12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Not really, no....especially in short yardage.

Dortoh
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd just like to say

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=eh4FGvLV3RGI_GXZBbqLjg&size=l

Spiritguy
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
i had no problem with the runs on 3rd and short in the beginning of the game... but after seeing them fail, miserably, all day... i begin to have a problem with them when they continue to be called on critical plays and continue to fail, miserably.

It's kind of like beating your head against the wall. Eventually you stop because it hurts or pass out from the concussion. :D To me it seemed like the pain wasn't registering. He has called that play almost every game this year and for the most part it has failed. I'm surprised they don't do more pitches and other options at this point. The guys from the other teams see the patterns too. So why not hit them with something you haven't been doing all year poorly?