PDA

View Full Version : Football Recruiting Thread

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Signing day is Wednesday.

Colorado No. 26 on Rivals...if they can pull Darrell Scott, it will go higher.

Colorado has three linebacker studs who should be fun to watch.

Rex
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
So....is it Colorado for football or basketball? You are as bad as Boss and SmilinAss.

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
So....is it Colorado for football or basketball? You are as bad as Boss and SmilinAss.

No, remember, I only root for Colorado. I'm not an Arizona fan at all.

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
KU has a good class coming in too, cswil...maybe instead of making fun of me, we could discuss something today...

That running back, Crawford looks like a good juco kid...will he get any playing time with Sharp starting?

Rex
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
KU has a good class coming in too, cswil...maybe instead of making fun of me, we could discuss something today...

That running back, Crawford looks like a good juco kid...will he get any playing time with Sharp starting?

If he is as good as they think, Sharpe wont be getting much time.

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
If he is as good as they think, Sharpe wont be getting much time.

Was he just not smart enough to qualify two years ago?

Rex
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Was he just not smart enough to qualify two years ago?

I assume...plus he has "character issues" according to the KC Star

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Screw u sparky.

Can't wait til tomorrow. UT's class was looking rough 2 weeks ago. They landed 5 solid players last week, including a LB, QB and DLine help that was sorely needed...and word is the #1 prep RB in the nation is leaning towards the Vols. Enrique Davis. Still a few big names on the board. Tomorrow should be interesting.

MOtorboat
02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Screw u sparky.

Can't wait til tomorrow. UT's class was looking rough 2 weeks ago. They landed 5 solid players last week, including a LB, QB and DLine help that was sorely needed...and word is the #1 prep RB in the nation is leaning towards the Vols. Enrique Davis. Still a few big names on the board. Tomorrow should be interesting.

OK...I figured it out...I was thoroughly confused...he's coming out of military school, so he's been out of high school for a year...ok...

I was gonna say, the top running back on the Rivals100 is Darrell Scott, who is going to decide between Texas and Colorado tomorrow.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
...and ya didn't even need any help. Nice job Mizzou.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
So any clue who Scott is gonna go with?

MOtorboat
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
So any clue who Scott is gonna go with?

Honestly, not really. My hunch says Texas. And most of that is because Colorado already has a four-star kid in Ray Polk, out of Phoenix. Hey, if Hawk can pull two of the top 15 RBs to Colorado, I'm even more on board.

MOtorboat
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
According to Rivals...the kids who have yet to declare and are waiting for the drama of signing day...

Five-Star Prospects

Terrelle Pryor - QB - Jeannette, Pa.
Rivals.com recruiting analyst Mike Farrell confirmed with Terrelle Pryor this morning that he will 100 percent sign tomorrow. He's down to Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State and will announce at 12:05 p.m. ET on television.

Julio Jones - WR - Foley, Ala.
Nation's No. 1 ranked receiver is expected to make his decision on Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. ET between Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Oklahoma. Will announce on TV.

Darrell Scott - RB - Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure
Down to Colorado and Texas. Has an uncle who plays at CU, but Longhorns have a starting spot vacated by Jamaal Charles who turned pro. Late overtures by Florida and UCLA rebuffed. Will announce at 12:50 p.m. ET on Wednesday at the ESPN Zone in Anaheim.

Enrique Davis - RB - Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy
Nation's top prep school prospect. Visited Tennessee over the weekend. May not decide until after Signing Day. Auburn, Maryland, Ole Miss and Oregon also in the mix.

Four-Star Prospects

E.J. Abrams-Ward - Ath - Thomasville, N.C.
It's down between North Carolina and Tennessee and he's expected to announce his decision on Wednesday during a small ceremony at his high school.

Joe Adams - DB - Little Rock (AR) Central Arkansas Christian
Adams has been a long-time commit to Southern Cal, but took an official visit to in-state Arkansas in January and has been silent since. He'll sign his LOI at 11 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

Aaron Boyd - WR - Lexington (Ky.) Henry Clay
Scheduled to announce his decision at 10:30 a.m. ET on Signing Day at his high school. Confirmed he's down to Oregon and Kentucky and has eliminated Missouri and Arkansas from contention.

T.J. Bryant - CB - Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln
Visited Alabama, Florida, LSU and Southern Cal. Florida State and Miami also under consideration. Set to announce on Signing Day, but has not named a leader.

Ramon Buchanan - Ath - Melbourne (Fla.) Palm Bay High
Originally committed to Miami then switched to Florida on Jan. 20 and a week later decided to visit the Canes again. It's a two horse race which will be decided at 1 p.m. ET on Signing Day.

Quinton Coples - DE - Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy
Has said he is waiting to announce on Signing Day with other Hargrave prospects at 10:45 a.m. ET. Is considered a UNC lean but Florida State, NC State and Tennessee also hold out hope.

B.J. Daniels - QB - Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln
Strong-armed quarterback has already visited South Florida and Memphis. Did not visit Michigan despite much speculation. Could it be related to Pryor's decision ultimately? No announcement time set.

Rod Davis - DT - Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower
Remaining quiet, the soft commitment to the Aggies will pick among A&M, Texas and Florida on Signing Day.

J.B. Fitzgerald - LB - Princeton Junction (N.J.) West Windsor Plainsboro South
Fitzgerald committed to Michigan in August, but with the coaching change in Ann Arbor, he has opened up his recruitment and officially visited Rutgers on Jan. 25. Expected to decide between the two schools on Wednesday.

Jarmon Fortson - Ath - Columbus (Ga.) Carver
Committed to Auburn back in September, but according to AuburnSports.com, the Tigers are no longer recruiting Fortson making Florida State his likely choice at 1:45 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Matt Hall - OT - Russellville, Ark.
Houston Nutt and Ole Miss have made a late run at the Arkansas commit, but the Hogs were able to get Hall on campus last weekend. It's down between those two schools.

Jamie Harper - FB - Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian
Visited Miami over the weekend and is no longer granting media interviews. Will announce on Signing Day at 12:20 p.m. ET. Miami, Florida State, Clemson and Illinois are all in the mix.
Brandon Harris - CB - Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington
Could be the cornerback most prepared to play as a true freshman. Florida, Miami and Ohio State are finalists. Farrell says Miami will be tough to beat.

Jerrell Harris - LB - Gadsden (Ala.) Gadsden City
Fast-rising linebacker recruit will announce on Signing Day at 3 p.m. ET. Finalists include Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, USC and Tennessee.

Lamar Harris - Ath – Gilmer, Texas
Four-star athlete Lamar Harris had been a long-time Texas A&M commitment, but a Jan. 25 visit to Oklahoma has caused him to de-commit and sign with the Sooners at 9 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

Mark Ingram - ATH - Flint (Mich.) Southwestern Academy
Will announce his decision on 3:30 p.m. ET today at high school. His finalists are Alabama, Arizona State, Iowa, Michigan State and Wisconsin, but the Hawkeyes and Tide are rumored to be ahead of the pack.

Josh Jenkins - OG - Vienna (W.V.) Parkersburg
Scheduled to announce on Signing Day at 9 a.m. ET. Considering Ohio State, Florida State and West Virginia.

Benjamin Jones - OT - Miami (Fla.) Northwestern
Visited Miami over the weekend. Will decide between the Canes, where several teammates have already committed, and Clemson.

Datone Jones - DE - Compton, Calif.
Long-time UCLA commit enjoyed a visit to Oregon. But Rick Neuheisel is now recruiting him for UCLA. Could announce for the Ducks or Bruins on Signing Day.

Uona Kavienga - LB - Los Angeles (Calif.) Leuzinger
Committed to BYU and once committed to UCLA, Kavienga is down to BYU, UCLA and USC. Will sign at 9:30 p.m. ET tomorrow on television.

Milton Knox - RB - Lake Balboa (Calif.) Birmingham
Officially visited Notre Dame this past weekend. Will decide among UCLA, Notre Dame and Florida on Signing Day at 7 p.m. ET on local television.

T.J. Lawrence - WR - Lakeland (Fla.) Kathleen
Will make his decision on national TV on Wednesday. South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Florida and Michigan are finalists.

Kapron Lewis-Moore - DE - Weatherford, Texas
Expected to announce his final decision on Wednesday with Notre Dame looking strong late in the process against Texas A&M.

Onterrio McCalebb – Ath - Fort Meade, Fla.
Committed to Auburn in mid-December, but continued taking visits to Rutgers and Michigan. Will make his final decision on Signing Day.

Antoine McClain - OT - Anniston, Ala.
One of three blue chips from the state of Alabama who will make their decision on Signing Day. Clemson, LSU and Tennessee are finalists and his decision is expected at 10 a.m. CT.

Sam McGuffie - RB - Cypress, Texas
McGuffie has been committed to Michigan since July, but reportedly made a visit to California in the last week. He indicated to Rivals.com in late January that he was sticking with Michigan.

Charles Mitchell - S - Clarksdale, Miss.
Southern Miss, Nebraska and Mississippi State are finalists. Don't be surprised if the blue chipper goes with the Golden Eagles.

Brandon Moore - TE - Trotwood (Ohio) Trotwood-Madison
Moore is committed to Michigan, but there's still some question how solid he is after taking an official visit to Miami on Jan. 25 and remaining quiet since then. Will sign his LOI at 9 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

Nick Perry - DE - Detroit (Mich.) Martin Luther King
Will announce around Signing Day at 3 p.m. ET at a local boys and girls club among Miami, Michigan, Michigan State and USC.
Robert Quinn - DE - North Charleston (S.C.) Fort Dorchester
Has visited Alabama, Auburn and North Carolina and will choose among the three schools at 10:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday at his high school.

Greg Shaw - OT - Miami (Fla.) Monsignor Pace
Either LSU and West Virginia will be the lucky school when he announces at Noon ET at his high school.

Michael Shaw - RB - Trotwood (Ohio) Trotwood-Madison
Long-time Penn State commit officially visited Michigan on the weekend of Jan. 18. He hasn't talked in weeks so we'll have to wait until 9 a.m. ET on Signing Day to find out where he signs.

Kye Staley - Ath - Guthrie, Okla.
Originally committed to Oklahoma State, but took an official visit to Arkansas on Jan. 25. Is 50/50 between the two schools and will make his final decision on Wednesday.

Hamani Stevens - C - Hemet, Calif.
UCLA has made up huge ground on Stevens when Oregon and BYU were thought to be the two favorites. Has postponed his announcement twice and will sign at 3:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Tommy Streeter - WR - Miami (Fla.) Northwestern
Announcement will happen at 9 a.m. ET tomorrow. Farrell reports that Miami is favorite, with Oregon and South Carolina still involved.

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Georgia

Signing day storylines: Coming off an 11-2 season in which some argued Georgia should have played for a national championship, the Bulldogs currently have an excellent recruiting class. Sliding up to No. 2 in the latest 2008 class rankings, Georgia's latest rise stemmed from the early impact talent, particularly on offense, we now foresee headed to Athens.

Wide Receiver A.J. Green (Ridgevile, S.C./Summerville), tight end Dwayne Allen (Fayetteville, N.C./Terry Sanford) and running back Carlton Thomas (Frostproof, Fla.) could provide quarterback Matthew Stafford with some added weapons as true freshmen. Even projected center Benjamin Jones (Centreville, Ala./Bibb County), who recently rose into the ESPN 150, shows the skills and physical maturity to add depth to Georgia's young offensive line next fall.

Allen is still taking visits despite his commitment, but the class overall looks stable and could help assist Georgia's national championship run in 2008.

Top prospect: In a class deep with outstanding big receivers, it is hard to find a smoother one than A.J. Green. His supreme blend of size, speed and athleticism are outstanding. The hands and separation speed we saw out of his breaks and after the catch really impressed us an Under Armour All-America Game. A bit frail, Green did show deceptive strength and hand technique breaking the press versus some talented cornerbacks, our one question mark we had about him making an impact as a freshman. We expect him to be an immediate red zone threat and deep ball target in Athens.

Class highlights: Georgia has 25 verbal pledges three weeks out from signing day and a striking nine ESPN 150 members. The combination of offensive skill comprised of four players ranked in the top 10 at their respective positions and a duo of top-3 interior lineman in Jones and guard A.J. Harmon (Louisville, Ga./Jefferson County) is impressive.

On defense, top-50 overall prospect Deangelo Tyson (Statesboro, Ga.) is a physically-gifted tackle and ESPN 150 end Toby Jackson (Griffin, Ga.) offers good versatility with his physical tools to develop on the inside or remain explosive off the edge.

The wild card in this class is running back Richard Samuel (Cartersville, Ga./Cass), currently ranked as the No. 35 overall player in the country with Adrian Peterson-type running qualities. This physical specimen will enter Georgia as a 17-year-old freshman but could still be ready to carry the rock behind Knowshon Moreno or be utilized at outside linebacker, the one area of need we feel the Dogs could have done better in this class.

Could see the field in 2008: Green, Allen, Samuel, Thomas in a scat-back or third down role, Tyson and Jones.

tripleoption
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I coach football at a tiny school in Colorado. We have a kid signing with Wyoming. He's the first division I player ever out of our school. He went to a football camp at UW last June, and he tore it up against players who were considered top prospects in the country. He was the leading sacker and tackler for losses at the camp, and the staff offered him a full ride scholarship on the spot. Of course he took it. Once it got out he was offered a scholarship at UW, Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas State, Iowa and Wisconsin offered him full rides also, but he wanted to stay with UW since they're giving him a chance. He's not highly rated since he comes from a small town and program. I'm really excited to see how things go for him.

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Scott to sign with Colorado!

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
In what was the most anticipated announcement in CU recruiting history, Darrell Scott declared his college decision on Wednesday morning.

"I'll play at the University of Colorado,", the five-star running back from Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure stated on ESPNU's live coverage of his decision.

Scott will join his uncle Josh Smith in Boulder.

"Family comes first, but I just thought that Colorado was a good fit and I'm excited to be a Buff," Scott said.

"Dan Hawkins has a vision and I want to be a part of the vision he has. Hopefully we can pull in a national championship."

"Committing to Colorado has to do with the comfort level of the running backs coach," St. Bonaventure recruiting coordinator told Orangebloods.com, part of the Rivals.com network.

"I know he coach (Darian) Hagan have gotten very close and coach (Dan) Hawkins is a dynamic individual. He's very intellectual, almost a Zen kind of approach and that will work well with Darrell.

"And his uncle being there has obviously helped a lot."

Rivals.com west coast analyst Rick Kimbrel stated earlier this recruiting cycle that he believes Scott is the best running back recruit to come out of California since Reggie Bush.

Scott rushed for 7,507 yards and 98 touchdowns during his high school career.

He was named a Parade All-American following a senior season in which he helped lead St. Bonaventure to a California Division III state championship.

"What you get with Darrell Scott is a kid that can instantly impact the college program that he goes to," St. Bonaventure offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator Roger Sonsini told BuffStampede.com last week. "He is 6-foot-1, 215-pounds and he runs a legit 4.32-forty. He can catch the ball out of the backfield; he can catch the ball deep.

"Darrell could be one of the top punters in American. He averages almost 48 yards a punt. There is nothing he can't do. He is incredibly strong in the weight room. That is what you get from Darrell.

"The program that gets Darrell is getting a kid that can impact the direction and production of an offense by simply putting the ball in his hands. He finds ways of gaining yards and scoring points, even when the defense is designed to stop him. That is what makes him better than everyone else.

"There is not another high school running back in American better than Darrell. You can quote me on that and I'll stand behind it. I think he is destined to flirt with a Heisman Trophy if things work out. The Heisman Trophy is a crap shoot but he has got those kinds of abilities. I think he could be a top five pick in the NFL draft if everything works out for him over the course of the next four years."

BOSSHOGG30
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
great sign by the Buffs.

Congrats Buff fans.

CoachChaz
02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
No back better than Scott? Those are some bold words.

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
No back better than Scott? Those are some bold words.

I hope he is...I'll hold my breath, and see if he qualifies...

BOSSHOGG30
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I like Jermie Calhoun and Richard Samuel

I think Oklahoma got the best back in the class and Samuel is under-rated.

Ohio State landed a stud in OL Mike Adams, he is a monster.

I can't wait to see who Terrelle Pryor goes to, I really hope he stays in his home state, but I doubt it. I got to see him play twice this year and he is very impressive.

Watchthemiddle
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=57008&Sport=1

Good work by Hawkins in his third year. Considering they were in the upper 40's or 50's last year to be ranked #16 in recruiting class this year is a good step.

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
This story is amazing:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=769948

Nevada high school football recruit made up story

RENO, Nev. -- A Fernley High School football player who had claimed he was duped into believing he was recruited to play at a Pac-10 school admitted Wednesday he made up the story.

Kevin Hart, a 6-foot-5, 290-pound offensive lineman, offered a broad apology in a statement he issued Wednesday afternoon through the Lyon County School District. He said he had wanted to play football at a Division I school "more than anything."

"When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I made up what I wanted to be reality. I am sorry for disappointing and embarrassing my family, coaches, Fernley High School, the involved universities and reporters covering the story," Hart said.

Lyon County sheriff's detectives had said earlier Wednesday that they had been unable to corroborate Hart's claims that he had been duped by a man he had paid to help promote him in his bid to play college football.

Hart spoke with deputies Saturday, a day after he announced at a school assembly and a press conference that he would sign with University of California, Berkeley.

At the announcement ceremony on Friday, Hart, with Fernley coach Mark Hodges at his side, said he talked Cal head coach Jeff Tedford many times, and that "personal experience" led to his decision to choose the Golden Bears over Oregon, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported.

But the announcement was questioned almost immediately, and on Monday officials with California and University of Oregon said Hart was never recruited by their programs.

Lyon County sheriff's Lt. Rob Hall said Wednesday morning that "nothing has been corroborated."

"There are some things that appear to be inconsistent with how the [recruiting] process works," he said.

Hall said Hart had claimed the alleged recruiter was named Kevin Riley, and that he believed he was from Las Vegas.

Hart, however, was "unable to provide any phone numbers, addresses," or other contact information for the purported recruiter, Hall said.

On Tuesday, Lyon County School District administrators said an internal investigation showed that none of the universities once thought to have pursued Hart -- including Nevada, Washington and Oklahoma State -- were involved.

Superintendent Nat Lommori and Assistant Superintendent Teri White, in issuing the statement the day before recruits across the country sign letters of intent to play for college programs, said they wanted to relieve concerns prospective recruits to those schools might have because of the Hart matter.

Watchthemiddle
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
This story is amazing:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=769948

So this kid wasn't recruited by any D-I schools?

What a moron.

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
So this kid wasn't recruited by any D-I schools?

What a moron.

No, apparently not...

Watchthemiddle
02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
No, apparently not...

What about these guys? If they did, last I checked they are D-I schools and if this kid wanted to play in D-I that bad he should have legitimately gone to one of these. Again...what a moron.

On Tuesday, Lyon County School District administrators said an internal investigation showed that none of the universities once thought to have pursued Hart -- including Nevada, Washington and Oklahoma State -- were involved.

Broncospsycho77
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Ohio State landed a stud in OL Mike Adams, he is a monster.

This kid goes to my church. Unbelievable physically.

BOSSHOGG30
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
This kid goes to my church. Unbelievable physically.

Does he really.. hook a brother up with an auto!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I may be way off..but I think if Pryor was going to Michigan, he'd already have done so. He likes Rodriguez, but I doubt he wants to rebuild a program. Should be interesting...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Ohio State also landed Michael Brewster, the #4 OT by Rivals...That is 2 of the top 4 OTs..WOW.

Broncolingus
02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Scott to sign with Colorado!

Alright...top (or at least in most circles) RB in the country.

Should be an impact as a freshman...hope he stays healthy, because I have a feeling he'll be seeing the ball a lot.

Which is also why he probably picked CU...

MOtorboat
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Terrell Pryor is being interviewed on CSTV Radio (recorded yesterday), and he says that the decision not to decide yet is very good for Penn State. Apparently his dad is really into the coaching staff at Penn State...

BOSSHOGG30
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Terrell Pryor is being interviewed on CSTV Radio (recorded yesterday), and he says that the decision not to decide yet is very good for Penn State. Apparently his dad is really into the coaching staff at Penn State...

Man, I hope that he comes to Penn State... I would love to see the kid play. His fans, his family and everyone is here in PA... why wouldn't he come here? I know Ohio St. and Michigan are good schools with good programs, but he would be famous here. He is already a big deal around here... Everyone compares him to Vince Young from Texas.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/07/buffs-land-coveted-running-back/

Scott turns out to be CU's yes man
Heralded tailback heads best class of Hawkins' tenure

In the end, the University of Colorado's down-to- the-wire pursuit of Darrell Scott came to this: Taking no for an answer wasn't in Darian Hagan's makeup.

Twice in the past two weeks, Scott told Hagan he would sign with Texas. And twice, most recently Jan. 29, CU's running backs coach told Scott, "Give me one more opportunity."

Most likely, it was a request Scott believed he couldn't deny. Hagan's relationship with the nation's top running back prospect was fostered three years ago and grew to the point where Hagan could say, "I know him better than he knows himself; even his mother said that. . . . I told him from Day 1, he was me, I was him."

On Wednesday, national letter of intent day for high school seniors, that relationship, along with Hagan's relentless legwork and perseverance, paid off.

Scott became the headliner in a 21-player recruiting class that national analysts term the best of Dan Hawkins' three at CU.

Not to be dismissed, though, in the courting of Scott is his relationship with receiver Josh Smith, a CU sophomore-to-be.

Smith is Scott's uncle, and although Smith advised his nephew throughout the process to "follow your heart," Smith conceded if he wasn't on the roster, Scott "probably wouldn't be at Colorado. . . . Darrell's big on family; our whole family is."

The Scott saga played out like a melodrama in cyberspace, with hard-core Buffaloes and Longhorns recruitniks hanging on every shred of hourly message board speculation about which school had the lead, what Scott might be thinking, which coaches had home visits scheduled, etc.

It wore on all involved. Smith's relief was apparent after Scott, dressed in a cream-colored three- piece suit for his appearance before ESPNU's cameras in Anaheim, Calif., donned a CU cap and declared his intention.

"I'm just so glad it's over," Smith said. "It got so crazy after the announcement, I even had people clapping for me in classes (Wednesday)."

And Hawkins claimed he nearly shed a tear when Scott, for all the presigning suspense and hype, said he merely expected to "come in and compete" for the top running back spot.

"He's not a big-headed kid, not a big ego kid, at all," Hawkins said of a back who rushed for 7,605 career yards and 99 touchdowns and was all-everything at two California high schools (Moorpark and St. Bonaventure).

Scott won't be CU's only incoming marquee tailback. Hawkins said highly touted Ray Polk knew the possibility of competing with a premier recruit: "We told Ray about Darrell a long time ago; both know they've got to compete. It's popular to say one back will be a guy with 35 carries (a game). Nobody can do that."

CU's duel with Texas for Scott wasn't this class' only 12-round heavyweight bout. To woo linebacker Lynn Katoa from Oklahoma, veteran Buffs assistant Brian Cabral waged "a dogfight. . . . I've never been in a recruiting battle like that."

But CU won that one, as well as those for in-state standouts such as Jon Major, Bryce Givens, Curtis Cunningham, Patrick Mahnke and Will Pericak, marking the second year Hawkins has corralled Colorado's best.

Immediate impact

Scott and Polk figure to boost the ground game, while linebackers Katoa, Major, Shaun Mohler and Doug Rippy arrive at a position woefully short on numbers last season.

Sleeper

Tailback/return specialist Rodney Stewart, a surprise name on CU's list, could be a special-teams factor. Nicknamed "Speedy," Stewart is "lightning in a bottle," Hagan said.

One who got away

A second change of mind/heart put defensive end Josh Williams back in Nebraska's camp. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder from Denton, Texas, who initially committed to the Cornhuskers, was one of four prospects to renege and pledge to the Buffs, then signed with Nebraska.

Did you know?

Cabral has worked for four coaches at CU, but Hawkins tops the list when it comes to recruiting. "He's the hardest-recruiting head coach I've ever worked for," Cabral said. "He's relentless every day about (it); I'm just trying to keep up with him."

Etc.

* Hawkins, who is holding two scholarships for late prospects, said the "vast majority" of this class already has qualified for admission.

* Hawkins expects four to five walk-ons for August camp, targeting a squad totaling no more than 115 players. Of that number, he said about 82 or 83 will be on scholarship. The NCAA limit is 85.

* Hawkins' youngest son, Drew, a quarterback at Holy Family High School, is contemplating walking on at Oregon or Boise State.

* Hagan calls Polk "a strider, like (former Buff) Chris Brown," and predicts Polk will be an NFL player.

* Smith says his nephew, Scott, is "faster by half a step."

How did you do?

"I'm a guy who always says you can't have enough offensive and defensive linemen, (but) we addressed a bunch of our needs. I always talk about talent, experience and depth, and we're getting there."

Dan Hawkins

Colorado signees

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown (school)

Chance Blackmon WR 6-3 185 Tatum, Texas (Tatum)

Curtis Cunningham DL 6-2 270 Littleton (Columbine)

Ryan Dannewitz OL 6-6 285 San Jacinto, Calif. (San Jacinto)

*Jameson Davis PK 5-11 190 Eagle, Idaho (Eagle)

Ryan Deehan TE 6-6 230 Poway, Calif. (Poway)

Vince Ewing S 6-1 200 Carlsbad, Calif. (Carlsbad)

Bryce Givens OT 6-6 250 Castle Rock (Mullen)

Tyler Hansen QB 6-2 205 Murrieta, Calif. (Chaparral)

Steven Hicks DB 6-0 185 Tyler, Texas (Whitehouse)

*Lynn Katoa ILB 6-2 220 Salt Lake City (Cottonwood)

Patrick Mahnke S 6-2 190 Parker (Mountain Vista)

Jon Major ILB 6-3 225 Parker (Ponderosa)

Shaun Mohler LB 6-3 225 Newport Beach, Calif. (Orange Coast College)

Will Pericak TE 6-4 235 Boulder (Boulder)

Ray Polk TB 6-1 200 Scottsdale, Ariz. (Brophy Prep)

Douglas Rippy LB 6-2 220 Trotwood, Ohio (Trotwood-Madison)

Darrell Scott TB 6-2 215 Oxnard, Calif. (St. Bonaventure)

Rodney Stewart TB/KR 5-8 185 Westerville, Ohio (Brookhaven)

Maxwell Tuioti-Mariner OL 6-4 300 Corona, Calif. (Corona)

Paul Vigo Ath 6-1 205 New Brunswick, N.J. (New Brunswick)

Ryan Wallace TE 6-5 230 Bowling Green, Ky. (Bowling Green)

MOtorboat
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
A three-headed monster next year?

P.T. Gates is apparently enrolled and qualified. He was a four-star Juco transfer from last year who couldn't qualify.

Top that off with Ryan Miller getting more comfortable on that offensive line, and Cody Hawkins at quarterback and Josh Smith, Marques Simas, Scotty McKnight at WR...wow...potential to have one heck of an offense for at least the next two years...probably have Cody for three more.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Jon Major is a beast.

GOod looking class by Hawk and good work by Hagan.

Its going to be interesting to see Cody with a year under his belt and this new talent.

With as young a team as Colorado has already, this could be really good in a year or two.

MOtorboat
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Jon Major is a beast.

GOod looking class by Hawk and good work by Hagan.

Its going to be interesting to see Cody with a year under his belt and this new talent.

With as young a team as Colorado has already, this could be really good in a year or two.

I hope so. Take back the north.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I hope so. Take back the north.

From what I understand, MU had a good class also. I haven't really heard about KU or NU yet.

Buff
02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party...

The D. Scott signing was huge. Obviously. But I think it was especially huge because it looks like the P.T. Gates experiment is never going to get off the ground, and Brian Lockridge and Demitrius Sumler are not the answer at RB... I wouldn't be surprised to see D. Scott and Ray Polk (2 true freshman) as the #1 and #2 guys headed into the season opener. I just think Sumler is kind of soft for his size and Lockridge hasn't shown a great ability to run between the tackles (although he had limited playing time)...

I'm very stoked about the LB corps coming in, how could you not be? And Cabral was promoted to Associate Head Coach today, more window dressing than anything, but well deserved nonetheless...

I do have some concerns about the secondary and the QB position... But overall, it's a great time to be a Buffs fan, and it's been a while since we could say that during the off season.

Buff
02-08-2008, 01:10 AM
A three-headed monster next year?

P.T. Gates is apparently enrolled and qualified. He was a four-star Juco transfer from last year who couldn't qualify.

Actually, P.T. Gates got a D in his algebra class at his JuCo, did not receive his Associates Degree and was denied entrance...

The chances are pretty grim for 2008-09 last I heard, he'd have to pass an algebra class this spring (but had yet to enroll anywhere in mid-january), then take a full load of courses over the summer to be eligible in the fall... As of January, he hadn't spoken to the coaches in over a month-- I'd say the writing is on the wall- if he can't pass JuCo algebra to salvage his college career, he's not a Hawk type of guy.

MOtorboat
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Actually, P.T. Gates got a D in his algebra class at his JuCo, did not receive his Associates Degree and was denied entrance...

The chances are pretty grim for 2008-09 last I heard, he'd have to pass an algebra class this spring (but had yet to enroll anywhere in mid-january), then take a full load of courses over the summer to be eligible in the fall... As of January, he hadn't spoken to the coaches in over a month-- I'd say the writing is on the wall- if he can't pass JuCo algebra to salvage his college career, he's not a Hawk type of guy.

My bad, last report I read, which was early Jan., was that he was enrolling for classes at Colorado...

Buff
02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
My bad, last report I read, which was early Jan., was that he was enrolling for classes at Colorado...

Yeah, it looked like it was all systems go there for a while... But that also leads me to believe P.T. wasn't honest with everyone, because surely he knew he got a D in Algebra well before the January enrollment period... One more reason I just don't think we'll ever see him in Black n Gold-- which is a shame because he is supposed to be a beast.

Buff
02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEe9yVEfE1w

dogfish
03-21-2008, 06:23 AM
The nation's top high school football prospect is headed to the Big Ten.

Terrell Pryor, a senior quarterback from Jeannette, Pa, signed today with Ohio State, the school announced this afternoon.

A dual-threat quarterback, Pryor narrowed his choices to rivals Ohio State and Michigan and chose the Buckeyes even though they have a returning starter, Todd Boeckman, at quarterback.

Internet reports quoted Pryor as saying he felt he would develop more as an overall quarterback at Ohio State than under Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. Rodriguez runs a spread option that was successful at his previous stop, West Virginia.

Pryor is the first player in Pennsylvania prep football to rush and pass for more than 4,000 yards in his career (4,238 rushing and 4,340 passing). He threw for 1,889 yards and ran for 1,899 yards as a senior for a 16-0 state champion.

The 6-5, 230-pounder was named the national high school player of the year by every major publication.

Pryor also scored more than 2,000 points in basketball, leading his team to a state hoops title as well.

MOtorboat
03-21-2008, 08:48 AM
The nation's top high school football prospect is headed to the Big Ten.

Terrell Pryor, a senior quarterback from Jeannette, Pa, signed today with Ohio State, the school announced this afternoon.

A dual-threat quarterback, Pryor narrowed his choices to rivals Ohio State and Michigan and chose the Buckeyes even though they have a returning starter, Todd Boeckman, at quarterback.

Internet reports quoted Pryor as saying he felt he would develop more as an overall quarterback at Ohio State than under Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. Rodriguez runs a spread option that was successful at his previous stop, West Virginia.

Pryor is the first player in Pennsylvania prep football to rush and pass for more than 4,000 yards in his career (4,238 rushing and 4,340 passing). He threw for 1,889 yards and ran for 1,899 yards as a senior for a 16-0 state champion.

The 6-5, 230-pounder was named the national high school player of the year by every major publication.

Pryor also scored more than 2,000 points in basketball, leading his team to a state hoops title as well.

A wise choice if he wants to be an NFL QB. Now...let's fix that motion son.

CoachChaz
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
A wise choice if he wants to be an NFL QB. Now...let's fix that motion son.

I don't know...the history of Michigan QB's seems to be a little better than that of OSU QB's. Not to mention...the spread offense is suited for someone like Pryor. I think he'd have fared better at Michigan.

MOtorboat
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't know...the history of Michigan QB's seems to be a little better than that of OSU QB's. Not to mention...the spread offense is suited for someone like Pryor. I think he'd have fared better at Michigan.

That's because Michigan has always been a perfect fit for a pro-style quarterback. Rodriguez will change that right away. I know the history of OSU QBs isn't as good as Michigan QBs, but I'd take my chances with Tressel over Rodriguez.

CoachChaz
03-21-2008, 09:56 AM
That's because Michigan has always been a perfect fit for a pro-style quarterback. Rodriguez will change that right away. I know the history of OSU QBs isn't as good as Michigan QBs, but I'd take my chances with Tressel over Rodriguez.

Maybe for a pocket passer, but Pryor is far from that. He'd be better off in a situation where he could do as much with his legs as with his arm...just my opinion

dogfish
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
i don't know, coach-- troy smith wasn't a prototypical pocket passer, and they got him a heisman. . . that program has done a great job of producing receivers lately, too-- he should have someone to throw to. . . when was the last time ohio state had a QB recruit with this kind of potential?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
The local media is just hoping he isn't the next maurice Clarett. Dude is an *******. He all but started a brawl during state hoops playoffs...jumped on the scorer's table and started cussing out fans, etc.

He is the real deal talentwise though. One of the big school's in Ohio is Cardinal Mooney and when some of the cardinal Mooney players were at camp w/ him they said they felt like dorks cuz he was that much better than everyone else.

OSU is a much better fit for him than Michigan. First off Rodriguez cares about 1 thing...himself. He would have overused and abused the kid while holding back his overall development. Tressel cares for his kids...sometimes too much and gives em too many chances, but dude is a good person. He'll groom Pryor the right way...much like Tebow was used. He also won't let pryor run the team like Rich would have.

tripleoption
04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I mentioned in an earlier post that we had our first D1 player in school history this year when he signed with Wyoming. I made him a highlight tape for him and it was posted on UW's website. If you're interested it's at this link: http://wyomingathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aaa.html
You have to register but it's free. There is a list of players they signed toward the top of the page. Click on Dylan Kildahl. The opening part was put in by Wyoming, but the rest I did on my computer. I added arrows showing where he's aligned. Just for general information the defensive front we played was a 50, which most people call a 3-4. I played him on the weak side of our defense to create mismatches with running backs and slow offensive tackles depending on our alignment. I don't know how well the video will play. I can get it on some computers but not others. If you take a look hope it works for you.

tripleoption
04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Last weekend I talked to my ex player now at Wyoming. They're in spring practice too, and they had a scrimmage last weekend. He got 20 plays working with the third team defense. He had a forced fumble, tackle in the backfield, and was in on a few other tackles. Overall, a good effort for him I think. He's looking at being redshirted this year, which I figured would happen, but not a bad performance for a kid from a small town and small school.