View Full Version : Ndamukong as a Bronco would be Suh-weet dream

Lonestar
12-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/13/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Real fantasy football.

"In theory, what would it take for the Broncos to trade up in the NFL draft to get Nebraska defensive lineman Ndam- ukong Suh? I know it would be an extremely costly trade, perhaps a 2010 first-round pick, plus a No. 1 choice in 2011. But I think Suh could be a great player in the league for 10-plus years. Any chance?"

Mark, Aurora

Kiz: Any chance? In a word: Fuhgettaboudit. All the sorry Lions, Bucs and Rams (oh, my!) are playing for is a shot at the No. 1 overall choice in the draft. Get that prized pick and not take Suh? Trade him? You must believe bad NFL teams are dumber than I think they are.

Coaching three-peat?

"I agree with you on Josh McDaniels as NFL coach of the year. Joe Sacco of the Avalanche is also right there in the NHL discussion. Along with Jim Tracy of the Rockies, wouldn't that be quite the hat trick?"

Joe, Highlands Ranch

Kiz: But, in salute of this hat trick, would we throw a Rockies cap, a hockey helmet or a hoodie?

Not so fast, my friends.

"It's nice for the Broncos to be 8-4, nice to have seemingly overcome the doubts and anger resulting from the offseason. However, after losing four straight, look at the last two opponents: the woeful Kansas City Chiefs and the New York Giants, who are on the downswing. McDaniels as coach of the year? He's way down the list. Don't let wins against bottom-dwelling opponents get the best of you. For all McDaniels' youth, success, controversy and stupidly egotistic garb, what he has done is no match for the coaches who have resurrected New Orleans, come back from the brink of death in San Diego or managed to make a goner like Brett Favre look great in Minnesota. We'll talk about coach of the year when Mike Shanahan comes back."

Alan, steely-eyed realist

Kiz: Guess what? Shanny ain't coming back. But I do

Ndamukong Suh: a nightmare for Texas and an impossible dream for Broncos fans. (Jamie Squire, Getty Images )understand old flames die hard, and there are loyal Broncomaniacs who won't believe Kid McD has truly grown up as a coach until he wins a championship. But tell me: Would you settle for an upset today at Indy?

Kids' play.

"I really appreciated the article you wrote about quarterback Austin Hinder from Steamboat Springs High School and what you had to say about private schools such as Valor winning state championships. It is common knowledge private schools are able to, and do recruit players, even if they say they do not."

Debbie, football mom

Kiz: Does the phrase "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mean anything to you? Of course, I could be wrong, but . . . it seems to me more talented young teenage players chase a spot at a high school known for winning championships than vice versa.

It's caring, not capitalism.

"To base Valor's victory in Class 3A on money and state that capitalism gives Valor advantages on the football field shows you don't understand team sports and what it means to work hard and sacrifice."

David, Castle Rock

Kiz: My nose does wrinkle to the odor of sour grapes when I hear private schools "bought" a championship. But let me also add: Sorry, Broncos. The coolest football stadium in Colorado is located on the Valor campus. And if an awesome facility doesn't help attract players, why make the effort to build it?

Kids' play.

"Thanks for covering the championship game between Valor and Steamboat. My son plays in the trenches for Valor and said the Steamboat kids were classy. The players accept the results. It's us adults who can't accept the results and begin the verbal shoving match. In the end, the kids are the adults and the adults are juveniles."

David, football dad

Kiz: The hardest lesson any parent, myself included, learns from a kid who competes in sports? It really is only a game.

Parting shot
Voice of reason in Steamboat.

And today's parting shot is a rock tossed back at glass houses.

"While Tiger Woods' transgressions are none of our business, we are entitled to make them so anyway. It's a pretty sad commentary on the state of American society when we feel obligated to bludgeon the super rich in an effort to drag a person down to our level, all the while carefully concealing the skeletons we all have hidden in our own closets."

Tim,Steamboat Springs

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13986871

Dirk
12-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I would love it if Denver would "luck" into Ndamukong. Luck into..not give up the bank for him. He is going to be a fantastic accusition for whatever team gets him.

GEM
12-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Just a note on the comments towards the end about Valor High School and private schools. Valor's campus looks like a college campus. It's absolutely beautiful. My oldest godson won the Carnation Bowl there last year.

The complaints about these private schools able to "buy" championships, I don't agree they buy it, because the boys must play the same amount of games, they still have to play the game. BUT..it is made much easier when they have the amount of money to work with while county schools programs are being cut to almost nothing.

Sure is funny...5A and 4A were both won by private schools. Mullen has owned 5A the past 5 years.

The really silly thing to me is that these parents pay about $15K per year to send students there. That's 60K for a high school career. Mind blowing.

skycoyote
12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
He's too small, he's only 300 lbs. Broncos need a nose guard. Once again, I'm tired of the Broncos drafting undersized lineman.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Suh can play the 1, 3 or 5. He has so much experience. He would be an end in our scheme.

West
12-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Suh can play the 1, 3 or 5. He has so much experience. He would be an end in our scheme.

I don't think he could play a 1 as well as he could play a 3 or a 5 but I agree with everything else you said.

But it'll never happen; the Bears ain't that bad.

Poet
12-14-2009, 02:39 AM
You guys have as good a chance of getting him as the Saints or Colts do.

The Glue Factory
12-14-2009, 03:01 AM
The really silly thing to me is that these parents pay about $15K per year to send students there. That's 60K for a high school career. Mind blowing.

If I could afford to send my children to private school I would. Public schools sux rox! :tsk: Unfortunately, I had to take a 60% pay cut last year when I started my new job and my wife doesn't have the time to home school.

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Just a note on the comments towards the end about Valor High School and private schools. Valor's campus looks like a college campus. It's absolutely beautiful. My oldest godson won the Carnation Bowl there last year.

The complaints about these private schools able to "buy" championships, I don't agree they buy it, because the boys must play the same amount of games, they still have to play the game. BUT..it is made much easier when they have the amount of money to work with while county schools programs are being cut to almost nothing.

Sure is funny...5A and 4A were both won by private schools. Mullen has owned 5A the past 5 years.

I guess it depends on lacation. In my experience it has been the opposite. Texas HS football is among the elite in the nation. Mainly because it's viewed that way here. But take a look at the top teams of the last 10-15 years in 5A and you'll see a school names Southlake Carrol stand out. You can do the same with 4A and the name Highland Park will stand out as well.

EVERY year these two teams either win the State Championship or come close. And when you look at the money the schools have and how much they spend on their football programs, you can see a clear advantage they would have over their competition. When I use to scout, I mainly worked with 2A and 3A schools. Even there they have ways to gain advantages. Money buys these advantages. Even in some of the most rural areas, you'll find people sinking money into the program and the same handful of teams fights for the state title every year.

They play the same amount of games and have to go through the playoffs like any other team, but when the program has the best of everything...it makes it a little easier. I think HS Championships CAN be bought.

Lonestar
12-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Now I have to say I spent about 4K a year to send my daugther to a private Christain School. For a two fold reason. She was not surrounded by the thugs and kids that did not want to be there. No drugs, tobacco, drinking were allowed. PDA was discouraged.

She received college prep education without all the distractions. She also was almost forced into sports as the school had long standing tradition of being a small school powerhouse. Thet were constantly in the sweet 16 in state playoffs and in here senior year took second in VB and track.

To top it off received a full ride VB schoralship at a small Christian University. Saving me about a 125K in the process.

So is 60K worth it to these parents. Most likely if they have the piece of mind that I did.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Now I have to say I spent about 4K a year to send my daugther to a private Christain School. For a two fold reason. She was not surrounded by the thugs and kids that did not want to be there. No drugs, tobacco, drinking were allowed. PDA was discouraged.

She received college prep education without all the distractions. She also was almost forced into sports as the school had long standing tradition of being a small school powerhouse. Thet were constantly in the sweet 16 in state playoffs and in here senior year took second in VB and track.

To top it off received a full ride VB schoralship at a small Christian University. Saving me about a 125K in the process.

So is 60K worth it to these parents. Most likely if they have the piece of mind that I did.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Or...you can do it like I did. Spend nothing for them to go to private school and MAKE them accountable. My daughter is graduating after her junior year this year and has scholarships and programs set up to pay for her ensuing education to be a trauma nurse.

My oldest son will be starting varsity defensive end as a sophomore next year while maintaining honor society status. His GPA drops below 3.2 and I pull him off the team...he knows this.

I dont discount the benefits of private schools, but I think parents can accomplish EVERY bit of the same success by instilling it in their child. It also gives a parent an opportunity to be a parent. If you shelter your kids from thugs, drugs, alcohol, tobacco and public kissing...what they hell are they going to do when they eventually walk in the reality and see it?

Ravage!!!
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Another thing that private schools can do... recruit. All of a sudden some stud player is living closer to the school and his dad has a job that allows him to pay tuition. We see that here at some of the big private schools.

GEM
12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I really hate that the money end buys their positions. There are some fantastic schools out there that play with the deck stacked against them and do well.

That being said....I really wish CU would grab Dave Logan from Mullen and bring back some winning and successful recruiting to that school. He's done a fantastic job on the high school level and kids want to play for him.

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I really hate that the money end buys their positions. There are some fantastic schools out there that play with the deck stacked against them and do well.

That being said....I really wish CU would grab Dave Logan from Mullen and bring back some winning and successful recruiting to that school. He's done a fantastic job on the high school level and kids want to play for him.

Recruiting is a pathetic science.

Poet
12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Or...you can do it like I did. Spend nothing for them to go to private school and MAKE them accountable. My daughter is graduating after her junior year this year and has scholarships and programs set up to pay for her ensuing education to be a trauma nurse.

My oldest son will be starting varsity defensive end as a sophomore next year while maintaining honor society status. His GPA drops below 3.2 and I pull him off the team...he knows this.

I dont discount the benefits of private schools, but I think parents can accomplish EVERY bit of the same success by instilling it in their child. It also gives a parent an opportunity to be a parent. If you shelter your kids from thugs, drugs, alcohol, tobacco and public kissing...what they hell are they going to do when they eventually walk in the reality and see it?
No disrespect to your kids, but their 3.2 GPA at school isn't really worth the 2.5 GPA of a kid at a private school, at least here in Illinois.

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
No disrespect to your kids, but their 3.2 GPA at school isn't really worth the 2.5 GPA of a kid at a private school, at least here in Illinois.

Not sure what that means, but my whole point was that I make them focus on school more than sports...no matter how good they are.

Poet
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Not sure what that means, but my whole point was that I make them focus on school more than sports...no matter how good they are.

Ignore me, it's probably not relevant. :salute: