PDA

View Full Version : Is Ryan Clady regressing?

Lonestar
12-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Q&A:
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Ryan Clady (Denver Post file photo)
Welcome back and keep the queries coming

Today's comes from Dennis Smythe:

Q: We all know Ryan Clady had a great rookie season, highlighted by his giving up only half a sack. This year, he seems to have regressed a bit, giving up at least 3-4 sacks by my count, as well as taking several penalties. Tamba Hali looked like an all-pro against Clady last week, beating him several times to the quarterback. Has Clady indeed regressed, in your opinion, or has something changed with the blocking schemes or the quarterback that is exposing him somewhat?

A: Dennis, regressed may be a strong word, but he certainly isn't having the same year he had as a rookie. And that's understandable.

In some aspects, he's still learning the position. He started his career at Boise as a defensive lineman before the switch to offense. He was a three-year starter there before entering the draft as a junior.

So he's really been playing one of the most difficult positions on the field — left tackle — for four full years before this one. There are going to be some bobbles.

Athletically, he is so gifted — in terms of footwork, his quickness and how he uses his hands.

The one question people had was, after he played so much in a two-point stance in a spread-like offense in college, how would he do in a more traditional look from time to time in the NFL when he had to power out and take on a guy?

Last year, the Broncos threw the ball 616 times, played out of the shotgun plenty and passed 229 more times than they ran it. The Broncos likely wouldn't have played that way if they had not had so many injuries at running back, but Clady was suited to play that way and it showed.

This season, the Broncos are far more balanced, and in the new offensive scheme, Clady is being asked not only to play the zone scheme the team has used in the past, but also more of a straight-on power game in the rushing offense.

And with that has come some growing pains. At least that's what some personnel executives say around the league — that Clady simply doesn't look as comfortable and that he may be pressing at times because of it.

Sunday, Hali beat him on back-to-back plays, including one that resulted in a Kyle Orton fumble. Hali forced another fumble later in the game rushing from the defensive right but was engaged with a tight end around the corner on that play. Clady had moved toward the middle of the formation, so it's difficult to know if there was an assignment error there or if the Broncos had called something in the protection to move him toward the middle.

But people are attacking his outside shoulder hard and some of the bigger rushers, like the 275-pound Hali, are finding some room.

Among the offensive linemen, Clady and center Casey Wiegmann have been the most penalized players — both having had four penalties that were accepted so far this season. Clady has had two false starts, a tripping penalty and a holding penalty. Wiegmann has been flagged for three false starts and a holding call.

Most football people believe Clady is still having a pretty good year and that he will continue to improve, but that the changes in the offense have caused him some difficulties.

The Broncos would likely disagree with that, but that's what some general managers and pro personnel people around the league think.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13980518

GEM
12-12-2009, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't go regressed. I think he played so far past the point of jaw dropping last year that when you don't see it again it looks like an off year. He is still playing very well. I didn't like the schemes for OLine last week as on many occasions after the ball got off you saw Clady just moving forward with no one in front of him. They lined Hali way out to the side and he would blitz in...that isn't Clady's cover, that's the FB, RB or TE depending on who you have over to that side. Clady never has a training wheel TE and KC ate that fact up.

Nomad
12-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't go regressed. I think he played so far past the point of jaw dropping last year that when you don't see it again it looks like an off year. He is still playing very well. I didn't like the schemes for OLine last week as on many occasions after the ball got off you saw Clady just moving forward with no one in front of him. They lined Hali way out to the side and he would blitz in...that isn't Clady's cover, that's the FB, RB or TE depending on who you have over to that side. Clady never has a training wheel TE and KC ate that fact up.

In other words GEM, Clady can't do it all and he isn't getting much help!!

honz
12-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Jay Cutler sucks, but he is a lot harder to sack than Kyle Orton is. This has something to do with it as well.

Ravage!!!
12-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Exactly. This was what I was saying before the season started when people were talking about us having the "greatest line in football." Matching last year's stats were going to be EXTREMELY hard to do, no matter who was at QB. Add in injuries and a QB that isn't mobile, and things change.

GEM
12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Exactly. This was what I was saying before the season started when people were talking about us having the "greatest line in football." Matching last year's stats were going to be EXTREMELY hard to do, no matter who was at QB. Add in injuries and a QB that isn't mobile, and things change.

The change from ZBS to power really changed the line as well. They had to learn a new system. As the article said, they are asking the linemen to do different things, and it doesn't matter how good your player is, there is time needed to learn and become effective.

It has been nice that they realized they don't have the size we need to run power all the time and we are seeing more of the ZBS again. Throw in having a new guy on the line and things have just been different. The fantastic thing here is that our anchors are young enough that changes in system can be made and they can have growing pains but they will learn and exceed.

We're going to have to look at a Center at some point, Weigman has been fantastic for us, but he's getting up there in football years. As far as I remember, we don't have the guys on the team anymore that everyone thought might move up to Center. I wonder if we go the draft route or the FA.

Ravage!!!
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
We're going to have to look at a Center at some point, Weigman has been fantastic for us, but he's getting up there in football years. As far as I remember, we don't have the guys on the team anymore that everyone thought might move up to Center. I wonder if we go the draft route or the FA.

Depends if any ex-patriots are available to play that position :laugh: :beer:

gobroncsnv
12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I think Clady is still having a good year. Orton has had a few breakdowns in his pocket presence. He's just not going to outrun ANY defensive lineman, and needs to recognize how his blocking is breaking down before he tries to outrun the pressure. Better to step inside the blocking than to run outside of it, with his lack of speed. Then again, I'm smart enough to be sitting and watching and seeing the whole field, rather than being in the pressure cooker.

yeah, Meyers, Liechtensteiger, heck even Hammy was touted as our next center... Not sure who is waiting in the wings for us there. But Casey has played beyond my expectation, after we lost the Madman... even so, I would agree we're looking for a center pretty soon.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't think Clady is regressing at all. Not every player is all world every year and I've never seen a rookie have the type of season he had last year. He's still having one hell of a season seeing as to the pass rushers he's had to face nearly every week. Just to name a few: Ware, Harrison, Suggs/Pryce, Umenyiora, Hali/Dorsey, Merriman X2, Andre Carter (who's having a very good season), Seymour, etc. This week he gets Freeney, next week Seymour again, Cole with Philly, then Hali/Dorsey again.

Most LTs wouldn't have done half as well against this type of competition. Clady is still a freakin' BEAST!

dogfish
12-12-2009, 02:24 PM
there isn't one single lineman in the entire league i'd trade him for. . . .

TXBRONC
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I am not trying make this about Orton but his lack of mobility along with holding on to the ball (at times) doesn't help. Besides that, the only sack for sure that I know Clady gave up last week was that first strip sack. The second one Clady was not blocking Hali it was Scheffler. The one inbetween those two I'm not sure.

BroncoAV06
12-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I am not trying make this about Orton but his lack of mobility along with holding on to the ball (at times) doesn't help. Besides that, the only sack for sure that I know Clady gave up last week was that first strip sack. The second one Clady was not blocking Hali it was Scheffler. The one inbetween those two I'm not sure.

Orton has had times of holding the ball for a while but he is %90 of the time in the pocket so there is nothing else to do but take the sack and live to fight another day.

Its the nature of everything. Players are going to be up and down at times. Its not like he turned in Ben Hamilton! Dude is still a stud and do I dare say has a chance at being the best Broncos LT ever? Would like to hear about any past linemen from the well traveled Broncos fans.

muse
12-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm also guessing that benching Hamilton may have something to do with it - I'm betting that Hamilton was very helpful towards Ryan during the presnap and since Hochstein hasn't been in the system very long at all he can't give the same level of help that Hamilton could.

I may be wrong, but it could have something to do with it.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Clady is having a great year still. Allowing four sacks is not a big deal. Secondly, Hali was Clady's assignment on both plays.

topscribe
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Orton has had times of holding the ball for a while but he is %90 of the time in the pocket so there is nothing else to do but take the sack and live to fight another day.

Its the nature of everything. Players are going to be up and down at times. Its not like he turned in Ben Hamilton! Dude is still a stud and do I dare say has a chance at being the best Broncos LT ever? Would like to hear about any past linemen from the well traveled Broncos fans.

You have a point there. I don't believe "lack of mobility" has anything to do
with it. After all, Elway endured sacks, too. And Orton has shown effectiveness
in slipping and sliding and moving up in the pocket . . . although his ankle likely
isn't helping at this time.

But Orton did admit to holding onto the ball too long a couple times . . . and if
one is to go back and review the plays (I haven't), I would not be surprised to
see that, indeed, at least a couple of Clady's sacks were actually the result of
that . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, for that matter, Simms lost the first fumble in the Chargers game because he didn't throw it soon enough. Everyone is trying to say is that not all sacks are the fault of the line. Too true...

But the Dog is right, we're set at LT as long as Clady is there. I would trade him for no other... Also, once Harris is back, there aren't many I would trade for him, and Tyler is becoming a decent sub, just give the kid some time. Oline is the most choreographed place to play on the gridiron, and it's UNUSUAL to step in and play really well right away. Which makes you see the absolute GIFT we had handed to us when we got Wiegmann. Once we establish better at LG, (and the Hoch-ster ain't too shabby), you could put up our line against the best... oh wait, we already have this year... and win more than we'd lose, and oh, wait, we already have this year.

Dzone
12-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Clady will be fine, but Hali kicked his ass on numerous plays. Lets hope he plays better against Freeney.

topscribe
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Clady will be fine, but Hali kicked his ass on numerous plays. Lets hope he plays better against Freeney.

It happens. Every player whose bust graces Canton has been owned by
somebody in some game or two. I don't think Hali will do that to Clady twice . . .

-----

Dzone
12-12-2009, 09:13 PM
^and usually not 2 games in a row. Better to have that game in a win at KC than in Indy. It could be a big game for him tomorrow.

T.K.O.
12-12-2009, 09:34 PM
clady's sack #s are up because orton does'nt freak out and throw a pick every time he might get sacked.....;)

TXBRONC
12-12-2009, 10:05 PM

I don't agree there have been several times where he could have saved the loss of yardage on a sack by throwing the ball away.

topscribe
12-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't agree there have been several times where he could have saved the loss of yardage on a sack by throwing the ball away.

Orton was still in the pocket. He can't throw the ball just anywhere.

That would be intentional grounding . . .

-----