View Full Version : Spotlight on: Tackle Tyler Polumbus

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13972566

Spotlight on: Tackle Tyler Polumbus
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

A look at Broncos offensive tackle Tyler Polumbus, a former standout at the University of Colorado and Cherry Creek High School:

Dimensions: 6-feet-8, 300 pounds

The buzz

Polumbus has started four games and played in most of two others at right tackle in place of Ryan Harris. With the team officially ending Harris' season this week by placing him on injured reserve with a toe injury, Polumbus will be the starter the remainder of the season.

"I've seen a guy who's gained confidence, because obviously, in this league, when you're playing in the games, that experience is more valuable than the experience that you gain in the offseason and all the rest of it," coach Josh McDaniels said this week. "He knows what we're doing."

Looking ahead

Polumbus has played against some of the NFL's top pass rushers this season, including Pittsburgh's James Harrison and San Diego's Shawne Merriman, and the Broncos are hoping that experience helps this Sunday against a fast and aggressive Colts defensive front.

Indianapolis' two defensive ends, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, have combined for 20 sacks this season. The Broncos have at times lined up tight end Daniel Graham as an additional blocker on the right side of the line to help Polumbus, and even overloaded the line at times with an extra lineman (Brandon Gorin) to help in pass protection since Harris was injured.

"We've kind of gotten away from doing some empty stuff, but I don't think that has to do with Tyler," quarterback Kyle Orton said. "I think that's just where we're at as an offense. I don't think we've done a whole lot to specifically help Tyler."

FYI

Polumbus came close to being a Colt. Former Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy gave Polumbus a tempting free-agent offer immediately following the 2008 draft, when Polumbus went undrafted out of CU. Ultimately, Polumbus couldn't resist the chance to stay in Denver and play for his hometown Broncos when Mike Shanahan offered him a contract.

rcsodak
12-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Polumbus is fine.

He was overwhelmed in the SD game, having to defend Simms' backside.

But then again....

....who wasn't? :tsk:

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I think he struggled to varying degrees in all four Denver's losses but the last two game for sure he's been solid. He's not as good as Harris but I think he'll be fine for these last four games.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Polumbus has played like garbage, and we've used multiple people as training wheels for him.

Lonestar
12-12-2009, 05:03 AM
the games I have seen him in the running to the right was very good..

considering he was an UDFA not quite sure why everyone is down on him..

had it been Clady getting beat (whoops it was) as a first round draft choice then I'd be a bit more concerned..

I suspect with added playing time he will turn out to be a heck of a OT if for no other reason as a quality backup..