PDA

View Full Version : Clady vs Freeney

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Gil Brandt had this on NFL.COM about some of the individual matchups for week 14... not long enough, but some interesting insights from a guy that was one of the best at talent evaluation... Didn't see this posted yet, so hope it's not a dupe...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814d8fba&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Denver at Indianapolis
Denver OT Ryan Clady vs. Indianapolis DE Dwight Freeney
Denver leads the regular-season series, 11-6, while the Colts are 2-0 against Denver in the playoffs and have scored an average of 45 points in those two. Denver surprised everyone with its 6-0 start, but it is still in a dogfight to make the playoffs. Rookie coach Josh McDaniels is very familiar with Indianapolis from his years in New England.

Denver ran the ball 45 times for 245 yards in last week's win at Kansas City, and most of those runs went left behind Clady. He has very long arms, good strength and does a good job in pass protection. He has outstanding feet and ability to redirect the pass rusher. He does a good job getting to the second level of defenders.

Freeney plays better at home, where crowd noise plays into his strength of quickness and speed. He is a very disruptive player, and Denver has little chance to win here if it can't contain him. Freeney has four very good rush moves, but he needs to make stops in the run game.

Dortoh
12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
If I'm Indy I'd move Freeney to the other side

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
If I'm Indy I'd move Freeney to the other side

Mathis is as good as Freeney.

Dortoh
12-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Mathis is as good as Freeney.

Oh I wasnt even thinking about Mathis. SOB someone make sure these clowns are under the salary cap.

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 05:46 PM
That may be too much of an admission... could Freeney's ego handle that? Sounds like Mathis may be kind of iffy, also.
But what REALLY cracked me up is that they have a weather preview for Sunday's game... in a DOME??? Fairly useless information, that.

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
That may be too much of an admission... could Freeney's ego handle that? Sounds like Mathis may be kind of iffy, also.
But what REALLY cracked me up is that they have a weather preview for Sunday's game... in a DOME??? Fairly useless information, that.

Really? Mathis is questionable for the game?

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Really? Mathis is questionable for the game?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814e3780&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814e3780&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Thanks for the link. I hope this works to Denver's advantage.

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah, if this pans out where he's not playing, or has limited effectiveness, we have to FORCE them to do something to adjust here. You have to take advantage of what this could bring to the table.
Going against Freeney, with Clady taking point, I would run right at him... keep his pirouetting spinning butt going backwards... That's the best way to neutralize him, IF you can run consistently. keeps that Manning clown sitting on his butt, too...

honz
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Clady got owned by Tamba Hali last week. This could get ugly.

NameUsedBefore
12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
"Good" pass protection?

Yeah, Clady is just "serviceable".

Clady has faced numerous top-tier pass rushers and run-stoppers and has shit in their collective Wheaties.

Dortoh
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM
"Good" pass protection?

Yeah, Clady is just "serviceable".

Clady has faced numerous top-tier pass rushers and run-stoppers and has shit in their collective Wheaties.

Clady is over rated IMHO

NameUsedBefore
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Clady is over rated IMHO

*dims eyes*

Oh really.

GEM
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Clady is over rated IMHO

You shut your damn mouth, Mr. Snuggie.

:D

Dortoh
12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
You shut your damn mouth, Mr. Snuggie.

:D

Its Friday and its way to quiet around here :laugh:

EMB6903
12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't see clady having much trouble with freeney, its polumbus vs mathis that has me very concerned.

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Its Friday and its way to quiet around here :laugh:

Tonight I'm going to barbeque some ostrich for supper. :grillin:

Dortoh
12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Tonight I'm going to barbeque some ostrich for supper. :grillin:

:tsk:

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't see clady having much trouble with freeney, its polumbus vs mathis that has me very concerned.

I much will depend on how healthy Mathis and I would be surprised if Graham was left in to help Polumbus.

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
:tsk:

I hear it tastes like chicken. :D

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I hear it tastes like chicken. :D

no mate, you're thinking of the Chargers...:cool:

Dzone
12-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Chris Johnson became only the fifth player to reach the 1,500-yard mark in rushing in his team's first 12 games last week. Three of the first four are Hall of Famers: O.J. Simpson, Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson. The other is Terrell Davis. Johnson is in pretty good company. He and Brown are the only players to run for 125 or more yards in six consecutive games, and he averages better than 5 yards per attempt. This is a special player, who is now the league's best all-around back, in my opinion.

Dzone
12-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Polumbus is terrible and we will miss harris..maybe palumbus will play good for once...He needs to step it up

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Polumbus is terrible and we will miss harris..maybe palumbus will play good for once...He needs to step it up

I don't what you mean by that because he's has played well in both of Denver's wins. He's not as good as Harris but I think he's serviceable.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-11-2009, 08:55 PM
ya know how you stop Freeny? RUN THE DAMNED BALL RIGHT AT HIM AND DOWN HIS THROAT. He's a pass rusher and cannot anchor against the run - neither of their DE's can. I'd punish him with Clady and a heavy dose of the run early and often.

rcsodak
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Even better news, is Indy's LT isn't playing, so Ugoh will move over there. EVERYBODY on Sirius NFL said that'll play into Doom's advantage.

Possible scenario, is they put a TE over there to help out, opening up the other side. Peyton doesn't do well when he has a defender in his face. Blitzing up the middle, requiring a rb to stay to block, takes one more weapon off the list.

If denver can keep the ball moving, and score points everytime, this could be a very good game.

And everybody knows how much Law likes to play Manning! :D

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 09:25 PM
ya know how you stop Freeny? RUN THE DAMNED BALL RIGHT AT HIM AND DOWN HIS THROAT. He's a pass rusher and cannot anchor against the run - neither of their DE's can. I'd punish him with Clady and a heavy dose of the run early and often.

Agreed. Freeney is listed as 268 lbs and Mathis is listed as 245 lbs.

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Agreed, this is why Dooms is even better as an LB than a DE... we have a real Dlineman playing end, and if that guy can help set the edge, it's harder to turn our corner. Doom's size makes it better for him to go forward, use his speed and leverage, rather than backward being pushed by a very large man on running plays.... He's so much better in 3-4.
Freeney and Mathis are literally playing DE, so running against them just might be easier, IF we can stay with it. Making them play the run on numerous, consecutive downs will be a good thing.

GEM
12-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Chris Johnson became only the fifth player to reach the 1,500-yard mark in rushing in his team's first 12 games last week. Three of the first four are Hall of Famers: O.J. Simpson, Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson. The other is Terrell Davis. Johnson is in pretty good company. He and Brown are the only players to run for 125 or more yards in six consecutive games, and he averages better than 5 yards per attempt. This is a special player, who is now the league's best all-around back, in my opinion.

Good info, but really came out of nowhere....I thought the thread was about Clady vs. Freeney. :confused:

gobroncsnv
12-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I think it rode in on the ostrich burgers... :>)

omahacolt
12-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Agreed, this is why Dooms is even better as an LB than a DE... we have a real Dlineman playing end, and if that guy can help set the edge, it's harder to turn our corner. Doom's size makes it better for him to go forward, use his speed and leverage, rather than backward being pushed by a very large man on running plays.... He's so much better in 3-4.
Freeney and Mathis are literally playing DE, so running against them just might be easier, IF we can stay with it. Making them play the run on numerous, consecutive downs will be a good thing.

freeney and mathis are both hurt. i really doubt you see mathis at all and i doubt you will see freeney other than 2nd and 3rd downs if that.freeney hasnt been playing much the past few weeks due to injury.

a lot of people talk about running right at freeney. they say he cant anchor. that is really bs. people like to run his way because he pass rushes upfield so much.

the strategy of running right at him wont work because he wont be on the field.

Nomad
12-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Mathis and Freeney are playing/starting per the CBS pregame show!!

Dean
12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Clady had a very solid game versus Freeney's pass rush today. Way to go RC!

BCJ
12-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Clady had a very solid game versus Freeney's pass rush today. Way to go RC!

You mean that missed block that got us stopped on 3rd and short (or was it 4th and short) and the sack that was Clady's responsibilty? Come on! Freeney hurt and still got by him. Clady is not the guy we saw last year. Hell, he always did well against top notch lineman and the last two games, he has not lived up to his ability.

Poet
12-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Clady has a strong argument for being the best LT in the game.

Traveler
12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Clady got worked a little bit yesterday by Freeney. Still, he made Freeney a bit of a non-factor for all except maybe 3-4 plays.

He's experiencing a bit of a sophmore slump. Nothing to worry about though. This new scheme doesn't make the best use of Clady's skills IMO, but you can see he's tying to make the adjustment. Give him some time.

It's the interior of the OL that concerns me most. We will definitely have to address it this offseason thru both FA and the draft.

topscribe
12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
You mean that missed block that got us stopped on 3rd and short (or was it 4th and short) and the sack that was Clady's responsibilty? Come on! Freeney hurt and still got by him. Clady is not the guy we saw last year. Hell, he always did well against top notch lineman and the last two games, he has not lived up to his ability.

Freeney may be the best pass rusher in the game, outside perhaps Jared Allen.
You have superstar against superstar. Win some, lose some. Clady did nothing
to dampen my opinion that he may be becoming the best tackle in the game.

-----

TXBRONC
12-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Good grief Freeney got by Clady all of once and that was at very end of game. Other than that Freeney had little impact rushing Orton. And on the supposed whiff are talking about when Freeney submarined Clady is that what you're refering too? Freeney and Mathis were both non factors. For the record, Freeney had one tackle and one assist. So for him not living up to his ability I don't agree.

TXBRONC
12-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Clady got worked a little bit yesterday by Freeney. Still, he made Freeney a bit of a non-factor for all except maybe 3-4 plays.

He's experiencing a bit of a sophmore slump. Nothing to worry about though. This new scheme doesn't make the best use of Clady's skills IMO, but you can see he's tying to make the adjustment. Give him some time.

It's the interior of the OL that concerns me most. We will definitely have to address it this offseason thru both FA and the draft.

Freeney had all of one tackle and assist.

Traveler
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Freeney had one sack and an assist as far as the stats.

Fixed it for you!:salute:

Freeney's pressure did blow up a couple of more plays that don't show up in the stats.