PDA

View Full Version : Colts' pass-rushing defensive ends provide challenge for Broncos

Lonestar
12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Some secrets aren't worth keeping.

The way the Indianapolis Colts play defense, for instance.

"They just tell their ends to go to the quarterback," Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton said.

And the nine guys not named Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis go get the ball carrier.

"The ends really have no responsibility other than come after the quarterback, and they get there a bunch," Orton said.

Indeed, Freeney and Mathis have combined for 20 sacks in 12 games this season. Speed-rushing ends, however, normally are easy to run against. Remember how the Broncos ran the ball straight at New York Giants ends Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck on Thanksgiving night?

For some reason, though, the execution of running the ball at the 268-pound Freeney and 245-pound Mathis hasn't followed logic.

"A lot of draws are run against this team," Orton said. "A lot of screen passes are run against this team. But they're so fast with those other nine guys that they're able to rally to the ball and make plays."

The Law won.

In a 10-year span from 1998 to 2007, Broncos nickelback Ty Law registered 11 interceptions, including playoffs, against Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. No other defender has more picks against Manning.

A badge of honor?

"It is, but I've also played him a lot," Law said. "To be a great quarterback like he is and to have some success — he's had success against me too — it's always been a great competition. I always would cover his top receiver, and he always was going to go to his top guy, so I knew I was going to get some action."

No regrets.

At first glance, it would appear the Broncos rushed Ryan Harris back too soon. The right tackle suffered a dislocated right big toe Nov. 1 at Baltimore and missed the next four games.

Harris came back last week for the game against Kansas City — and reinjured the toe in his second series. Harris is finished for the season.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he wouldn't have changed his decision to play Harris last week.

"No, he was fine," McDaniels said. "The previous injury was not the same injury. That has nothing to do with the new injury. Yes, it's the same toe, but it's not the same injury to the toe. It's kind of a fluke deal, and he was playing well until the time that it happened."

The second injury involved a break and ligament damage.

Replacing Ryan.

Harris was replaced on the roster Wednesday by tackle Herb Taylor, who spent two seasons with Kansas City before he was released in training camp.

"I've had a lot of time to watch a bunch of games at home, and I've watched Denver play," Taylor said. "I like what they've been doing around here, and I'm glad to be a part of it, and maybe I can help out."

Footnote.

Special-teamer David Bruton was held out of practice Wednesday with a thigh injury.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13964840

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
One advantage we MIGHT have with this is that we have linemen who can get to the second level of the d, using ZBS... And our WR's block as well as about anybody... maybe except Ward. Someone else already called out Eddie on it, but Mr Royal got himself some blocking in last week a few times.