PDA

View Full Version : Showing Support During the Holidays

Denver Native (Carol)
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9660

DENVER -- As children gleefully ran around the cafeteria, their parents looked equally as energized as Champ Bailey and a group of his teammates chatted with families and signed autographs at the Denver Broncos holiday party at The Crossing on Tuesday.

The Crossing is a transitional living facility for families who for one reason or another have become homeless, and the Denver Rescue Mission opens its doors to provide shelter.

The Broncos were more than happy to be a part of the festivities to do what they can to brighten a few days.

"This is a wonderful party really just to put a smile on their faces for the holidays," said Greta Walker, director of public relations for the Denver Rescue Mission. "While they don't have their own personal home, they do have the Denver Rescue Mission and they do have the Denver Broncos supporting them."

The party kicked off with a big meal, and Broncos players and cheerleaders were there to greet the families and sign autographs. Each family received a gift bag that included items like a King Soopers gift card, a Broncos blanket, a Broncos ornament and pictures and other souvenirs to get autographed.

After the meal, kids went into the Denver Broncos Youth Center, which is part of The Crossing -- the transitional living facility where the party was held. There, gingerbread houses were set up, ready to be decorated with marshmellows, gum drops, icing, candy corn, mints and graham crackers.

It was a fun time for the families and the players as well, who took joy out of seeing the smiles on everyone's faces.

"When you're in a successful position like we're in -- we've been blessed with a lot of good things -- it's only natural to give back," Bailey said.

Many of Bailey's teammates showed up to join the festivities, including Andra Davis, Elvis Dumervil, Daniel Graham, Chris Kuper, Kyle Orton, Darrell Reid and Wesley Woodyard.

"Certainly it's just a great thing to do, and my wife and I really enjoy being out in the community and helping as many people as we can," Orton said. "Certainly supporting a teammate like Champ as well is great."

Bailey, who recently won the Broncos' Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for the second consecutive season due to his devotion to helping out in the community and being a leader off the field, has helped with the holiday party at The Crossing for the past three years.

Walker said that Bailey has "given so much of his time, money and lent just himself" to the Denver Rescue Mission and Denver Broncos Youth Center as well as specifically The Crossing.

When he first arrived in Denver, Bailey said he was looking to attach himself to a charity when he happened upon The Crossing.

"Once I came down here and visited with the kids -- this is probably one of the first places that I visited -- it just kind of stuck with me," he said.

Davis said Bailey's volunteering "speaks volumes about the type of person that he is." Davis also prides himself on helping in the community, and he wants to share that feeling with his family.

"I brought my wife and kids out here, especially my kids, so they can see how blessed that they really are," he said. "For them to have in their heart and know that everyone is not as fortunate as they are, and for them to one day give back and want to give back, it's definitely big."

For Broncos TV's coverage of the event, click here. (on link)

For a photo gallery from the event, click here. (on link)

HOW TO HELP

"We need help not just during the holidays, but all year round -- 365 days a year," Walker said.

A list of different volunteer opportunities and ways to donate to the Denver Rescue Mission is available by logging on to DenverRescueMission.org. Some of the ways to help include but are not limited to monetary donations, vehicle donations or serving a meal -- the rescue mission served 700,000 meals last year at its five different facilities.

"So we always need volunteers to help out in those ways," she said.