PDA

View Full Version : AFC-West picture brightens as another one bites the dust

Dean
12-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't hope for any player to get hurt but it does help our play off hopes. He is the second nose tackle for the Chargers to go on IR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/09/nwagbuo-lands-on-injured-reserve/

You would think that they are starting to get a little thin at nose.

silkamilkamonico
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
As long as Rivers is around, I don't think it matters. He's arguably been the best QB in the NFL late season the last few years and is just all around solid and lights out.

Day1BroncoFan
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
As long as Rivers is around, I don't think it matters. He's arguably been the best QB in the NFL late season the last few years and is just all around solid and lights out.

Rivers makes me puke.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I just want the broncos to win, **** the san diego super sparklers.

gobroncsnv
12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Dean, their new NT played decently against us after we got out of the first drive. We hit'm with an onslaught of runs, gashed them pretty good, then put the ball in Simms' hands... oh well.
The guy at MHR seems to think our NT's are playing well... I think we're "adequate" there, but nothing to write home about.
The Chargers' FO seems to understand the importance of the Dline, we seem to finally be learning how to spell it.
But SD did have a dropoff in their line play, geemanee, even Cleveland was scoring on them. (I didn't see the game...) And now, they're rubbing the bottom of the barrel even harder. Phillips and Merriman do their work from the outside, because Williams holds up his "end" of the bargain in the middle. A winning formula for the 3-4 scheme. I can't help but agree, there will have to be some sort of downturn in their D quality. We'll see how they try to get'r done. Also agree, you want to win straight up, not count on the other team's injuries to beat someone.

slim
12-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Let's not get carried away.

Ravage!!!
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah.. i don't think I would call him 'lights out'

rcsodak
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't hope for any player to get hurt but it does help our play off hopes. He is the second nose tackle for the Chargers to go on IR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/09/nwagbuo-lands-on-injured-reserve/

You would think that they are starting to get a little thin at nose.

Not that it matters much. They're just changing to 1gap and playing 43 defense. That's Rivera's specialty.

rcsodak
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Rivers is just like his old coach, Schottsy.

GREAT during the regular season....:coffee:

KCL
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM

No...that's Roid Man...right?

silkamilkamonico
12-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Let's not get carried away.

Who's getting carried away?

15-1 career record in december
27 TD's 8 int's in December
December QB rating of 95+

Pain's me to say it, but the dude is a top 5 QB in the NFL.

As a starter:
He's never thrown more than 2 int's a game.
He's thrown more int's than TD's only twice in the last 2 years.
His worst TD/int ratio per season is 21/15.
He's only had a QB rating less than 70 twice in the last 2 years.
He's also never failed to win his division.

He's 3-3 in playoff games, all of which LT has been injured and rarely played. That's pretty impressive, considering there's not a handful of QB's in the NFL that have a .500 record or better in the playoffs with that many games. Peyton Manning does not have a winnign playoff record. Peyton Manning is also 0-2 against Rivers in the playoffs.

bcbronc
12-11-2009, 05:16 AM

As a starter:

He's 3-3 in playoff games, all of which LT has been injured and rarely played. That's pretty impressive, considering there's not a handful of QB's in the NFL that have a .500 record or better in the playoffs with that many games. Peyton Manning does not have a winnign playoff record. Peyton Manning is also 0-2 against Rivers in the playoffs.

:ban:

Nomad
12-11-2009, 07:18 AM

As a starter:

He is a damn fine QB and I wish he was in orange and blue!! Nothing painful about it, many of fans from the Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, and Seahawks gave Elway props because of his talent even though they hated to see him on the opposing side!! No, Rivers is no way near the talent John was but it's not a bad thing to give the man props plus what QB around the league can say they own the BRONCOS!!

Shazam!
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I ****ing hate Phillip Rivers but I'd take him as Denver's QB in a second.

slim
12-11-2009, 09:59 AM

As a starter:

I am going to pretend I didn't see this.

weazel
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
No...that's Roid Man...right?

somebody in the NFL uses steroids?? :shocked: ...what? :confused:

KCL
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
somebody in the NFL uses steroids?? :shocked: ...what? :confused:

:doh: I know...who would of thought that?

T.K.O.
12-11-2009, 02:11 PM
GO COWBOYS !

i dont like injuries either,but if that means the cowboys have a better chance to knock the bolts back into a tie for the div..........it can't be all bad !;)

GEM
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Especially in January where it REALLY counts.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Let's hope the Cowgirls pull one out.

JDL
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Jaguars will be without J Henderson, R. Mathis and M Sims-Walker in their in-state tilt against playoff hopeful Miami.

Better to see them rack up that 6th loss sooner than later, particularly since they could leapfrog us for the 5th wildcard spot this weekend if we don't win our tough Indy matchup.

T.K.O.
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Jaguars will be without J Henderson, R. Mathis and M Sims-Walker in their in-state tilt against playoff hopeful Miami.

Better to see them rack up that 6th loss sooner than later, particularly since they could leapfrog us for the 5th wildcard spot this weekend if we don't win our tough Indy matchup.

we would still have a tie record and they have lost 2 div. games so i THINK we would still hold the #5 spot by the hairs on our chinny chin chins....not sure though:confused:
besides we are gonna crush the colts ,so it wont matter

Cugel
12-11-2009, 03:34 PM
we would still have a tie record and they have lost 2 div. games so i THINK we would still hold the #5 spot by the hairs on our chinny chin chins....not sure though:confused:
besides we are gonna crush the colts ,so it wont matter

Division losses only applies to tie-breakers WITHIN the division --- NOT by 2 teams in different divisions.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Interesting to note that under NO circumstances can 3 teams from the same division get into the playoffs -- regardless of their records vis a vis other conference teams.

In the Broncos case the tie-breaker would likely be head to head (among contenders Steelers or Ravens would win tie-breaker over the Broncos) or Conference record (this would decide vs. any other team -- including the Jagwads).

As for "crushing the Colts" -- those are some pretty good meds you're on!

NOTE: Worst case scenario: Broncos tie with BOTH Steelers AND Ravens. Result: Broncos eliminated since they lost to both. Only in that case would head-to-head apply in the situation where 3 teams were tied with the same record (and none of them were in the same division).

T.K.O.
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=Cugel;848264]

QUOTE]

or am i " OFF " my meds.....hmmmmm:confused:

CoachChaz
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
It would be nice to be on the giving end of an NFL elite ass-whipping

Cugel
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
NOTE 2: Jacksonville has a 6-2 conference record, while the Broncos will have a 6-4 conference record after losing to the Colts this week.

Jax finish with Miami, Indy, @Pats and @Cleveland. They are likely to lose 2 of those games (Indy, Pats) and finish with a 9-7 record.

Broncos should assure themselves of having the #1 Wild-card by winning either 2 or 3 more games and finishing 11-5 or 10-6 (assuming that if they lost another game besides the Colts, they lost to the Eagles, not Oak or KC), which would probably mean (as of today) they travel to Cincinatti. Win there and they'd travel to San Diego (which has the 2nd bye as of now). Win there and they'd probably travel to Indy for the Conference Championship.

At least they will probably not face the Colts again this season -- unless they get to the AFC Title Game. Lose 2 games though, and they could have to travel to Indy for their 2nd playoff game (assuming they could beat the Bengals), i.e. the Jagwads could possibly beat them for the #1 Wild-card.

Cugel
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Cugel;848264]

QUOTE]

Look. It would be great to see the Broncos beat the Colts. But NOBODY has yet beaten the Colts and they are playing at HOME.

I don't see them losing at home this season. They might lose on the road at Tenn or something, but it's wildly improbable they lose at home.

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Interesting to note that under NO circumstances can 3 teams from the same division get into the playoffs -- regardless of their records vis a vis other conference teams.

Well, actually, in the 2007-08 playoffs, there were 3 teams from the same division that made the playoffs from BOTH conferences.

AFC South
Colts - Div Winner
Jax - Wildcard
Titans- Wildcard

NFC East
Plowboyz - Div Winner
Giants - Wildcard
Redskins - Wildcard

Dean
12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
After the Steeler's loss to the Faiders, I think you can stick a fork in them as far as the play offs are concerned.

TXBRONC
12-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, actually, in the 2007-08 playoffs, there were 3 teams from the same division that made the playoffs from BOTH conferences.

AFC South
Colts - Div Winner
Jax - Wildcard
Titans- Wildcard

NFC East
Plowboyz - Div Winner
Giants - Wildcard
Redskins - Wildcard

It doesn't happen often but sometimes both wild card teams come out of the same division. In the 1980s when the Broncos, Raiders and Seahawks were good team those three all made playoffs together on more than one occasion.

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
After the Steeler's loss to the Faiders, I think you can stick a fork in them as far as the play offs are concerned.

If I were to choose my utensil, I'd prefer to use a chainsaw...

rcsodak
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Not to doubt your "note", but can you divulge where you found this?

KCL
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Cugel;848264]

QUOTE]

I think you're off yours...your quoting is lacking...:lol:

JDL
12-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Once again lol.

3 teams CAN come out of the same division. Think of divisions like this:

Say you have these 10-6 teams (just theoretical), assuming common opponents equal with each of the paired division teams (forgot in earlier posts they changed the order.)

AFC East

Miami 10-6 (7-5)
NY Jets 10-6 (6-6)

AFC North

Baltimore 10-6 (7-5)
Pittsburgh 10-6 (6-6)

AFC South

Houston 10-6 (9-3)
Jacksonville 10-6 (8-4)

AFC West

Denver 10-6 (7-5)
Kansas City 10-6 (6-6)

To Determine First Wildcard Spot: The tiebreaker rules SIMPLY say that you don't lump all these teams together and apply tiebreakers, but rather, you break the ties amongst division teams FIRST, THEN group remaining teams and apply wildcard tiebreakers.

So - assuming that each paired division teams above split their season series, had the same division record and same common opponent record, you then apply the conference record tiebreaker (the next tiebreaker for division teams):

Miami (better conf record than the NY Jets)
Baltimore (better conf record than Pittsburgh)
Houston (better conf record than Jacksonville)
Denver (better conf record than Kansas City)

Of those 4 then, you apply the 3-way tie tiebreakers. Houston at 9-3 has the best listed conference record and wins the 5th wildcard spot. (assuming none of the teams has either beaten all 3 of the others in this group or lost to all 3 others in this group.)

THEN - you start completely over (this is the important part) and do the same thing over again. The only difference is that since Houston has clinched their spot, Jacksonville can now be grouped with Miami, Baltimore and Denver and tiebreakers are applied (again there are tiebreakers above conference record in a 3 way tie), but for illustrative purposes, Jacksonville has the best conference record and clinches last wildcard spot.

THEREFORE

Indianapolis - division winner
Houston - wildcard #1
Jacksonville - wildcard #2

3 division teams in the playoffs. :)

gobroncsnv
12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
See post # 28 this thread...

JDL
12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
See post # 28 this thread...

See post #34 for an actual explanation as to why it is possible :confused:

gobroncsnv
12-12-2009, 11:27 AM
My meaning is that it's more than just possible, it actually happened in both conferences in the same post-season... no need for theories or possibilities... it's in the books, under the current playoff structure. Anyways, have a good one.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Right now, the Sparklers don't have much of a hand in us making the playoffs. As long as our wild card competition continues to play down to their opponents, that's what matters. Pitt and balt have all but eliminated themselves leaving Jax and us to control our own destiny. If we win at least the games we should, we'll be 10-6 and be in.

i don't think we'll catch the Chargers at this point unless they have a late collapse which is very unlikely.

silkamilkamonico
12-13-2009, 03:36 AM
See post #34 for an actual explanation as to why it is possible :confused:

I thikn everyone knows it's possible. But with Steelers losing again, not likely this year in the AFC again. They would have to win out the rest of their games, Baltimore would too, and both Denv and Jax would have to have a major collapse. Den did last year, but 2 teams i the same year? Not likely!

Nomad
12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Win and your in.....simple as that!!

Dean
12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
After this week the Jets, Baltimore, and Philly gained ground on us. Pit, J-ville, and KC lost. The Chargers are on the verge of putting the AFL West out of reach. Like others have stated the key is to keep winning. I hope we can.

frauschieze
12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
After this week the Jets, Baltimore, and Philly gained ground on us. Pit, J-ville, and KC lost. The Chargers are on the verge of putting the AFL West out of reach. Like others have stated the key is to keep winning. I hope we can.

Did you mean Miami? Philly is in the NFC and doesn't mean anything in our quest for a wildcard spot.

JAC, BAL, MIA and NYJ are all only one game behind us. PIT, TEN and HOU are only one game behind them. It's going to be a tight race.