PDA

View Full Version : Broncos use Champ to be champ of special teams

Lonestar
12-10-2009, 01:38 AM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Coach Josh McDaniels says that having veteran Champ Bailey, above, cover kickoffs shows how important special teams are to the Broncos. ( Joe Amon, The Denver Post )

No, that wasn't an error on the play-by-play report from the Broncos' 44-13 victory at Kansas City on Sunday.

That really was Champ Bailey — yes, the likely future Hall of Fame cornerback — running downfield on a kickoff and making a solo tackle on a third-quarter kick return.

"When was the last time Champ Bailey made a tackle on special teams?" joked teammate Darrell Reid, a special-teams ace. "On the next one, Champ was running down there looking for a tackle!"

The tackle was Bailey's first special-teams stop of 2009, though he has made 25 others, including three last year, in his career. A player such as Bailey, 31, a full-time starter and one of the team's best players, covering kicks and punts is unusual, but coach Josh McDaniels believes it shows the importance he places on special teams.

Bailey and fellow starting cornerback Andre Goodman and outside linebacker Mario Haggan are defensive starters who play significant roles on coverage units.Wide receiver Eddie Royal remains the team's primary return man, taking 51 of the 71 total punt and kick returns this season.

"If the head coach is going to let me use them, I'm going to use them," special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer said.

It's common around the league for special-teams units, especially on kickoff and punt coverage, to be stocked with young players, guys fresh out of college who are backup linebackers, safeties, receivers and running backs. The main reason younger players are used is the risk of injury to veteran starters.

Denver, of course, has plenty of those too, with second-year linebacker Spencer Lar-sen and rookie safety Darcel McBath, both reserves, tied for the team lead with 10 special-teams tackles each.

But McDaniels said that having starters — stars and role players alike — on the sideline during special teams would send the wrong message to his players.

"I think that shows our team how important we feel the plays are, and it also shows the rest of our players that those guys are out there working hard to try to help us in any way they can," McDaniels said. "We've got a very unselfish team."

It is also an attempt, McDaniels said, to have the best 11 players on the field on every play, regardless of whether it's a third-down defensive play on the goal line or a kickoff return.

"They're experienced guys, they're sure tacklers," Priefer said. "Especially on your coverage units, those are the type of guys, that if they do break one, those are the guys that will step up and make the play if they need to."

McDaniels is flexible in who he uses on special teams. There are times he'll leave some of the starters on the sidelines for kick or punt coverage if, for example, they had just been on the field for a long drive.

Haggan, for one, doesn't mind the extra work. He is a starter here for the first time in his seven-year career, and plays in the Broncos' base defense, as well as all six special-teams units.

"It's a blessing to have the opportunity that the staff trusts me like that," Haggan said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13955983

Italianmobstr7
12-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I get what they're doing but having Champ on ST makes me nervous. One of our best, and one of my favorite players. He played a little last year too, so hopefully no freak injuries happen.

Dirk
12-10-2009, 06:18 AM
I agree. I like the mentality and all that but this late in the season having Champ out there on ST coverage makes me nervous as well.

SoCalImport
12-10-2009, 06:37 AM
"If the head coach is going to let me use them, I'm going to use them," special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer said.

Somehow I imagine that most ST coaches wouldn't mind adding some more of the starting Defense players to their kick coverage. Players like Champ can make things happen whatever they do.

Tned
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Champ has played on ST much of his time in Denver. I think a few times when he was fighting injuries he didn't play, but I remember many times seeing Champ make the tackle to prevent a long return.

claymore
12-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Champ has played on ST much of his time in Denver. I think a few times when he was fighting injuries he didn't play, but I remember many times seeing Champ make the tackle to prevent a long return.

There for a while I felt his most valuable position on our team was on ST's. He really saved our asses a couple times.

slim
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please smite claymore for his blasphemous and treacherous behavior.