PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Prater has a big leg up on 2008

Lonestar
12-10-2009, 01:36 AM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

It's a simple, proven formula. To play the kind of field-position football the Broncos want to play down the stretch, it will start with their kicker, Matt Prater.

Prater, who dominated the victory over the Giants — as much as a kicker can — with five touchbacks on kickoffs and four field goals, has made all of his 10 field-goal attempts over the past five games and is showing more power in his leg than at this time last year.

"I feel good," Prater said. "I go out there every time intending to make kicks. That's my job, and I want to do it well."

Broncos special-teams coach Mike Priefer has monitored Prater's work in practice this year. Last season, Prater faded noticeably down the stretch, missing at least one field-goal attempt in seven of the Broncos' final nine games.

He also had only two touchbacks on kickoffs over the last seven games of the 2008 season after having 17 in the first nine games.

Keeping Prater fresh is something Priefer wanted to address.

"When I first took the job in January I called him up . . . and I think Matt's deal was he's a very hardworking young man," Priefer said. "We don't kick him as much as last year."

Learning curve.

Tight end Richard Quinn was one of three second-round picks for the Broncos last April, one of the first 64 players selected in the NFL draft, but has seen the field on only a limited basis.

Largely a blocking tight end in college at North Carolina, Quinn has played just a smattering of plays on offense in two- and three-tight end formations as well as on special teams.

Many of the team's other draft picks, including fellow second-rounders cornerback Alphonso Smith and safety Darcel McBath, have played more.

"You always want to play as much as you can and help your team," Quinn said. "All you can do is work."

Quinn made his most prominent play of the season Sunday when he knocked away a fourth-down pass attempt by the Chiefs early in the third quarter.

Air time.

In a pass-happy season, the Broncos will have seen most of the league's best at throwing the ball by the time they finish this season.

Of the NFL's top 15 teams in passing yards per game the Broncos already have played six — the Patriots, Chargers, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants and Ravens. New England, San Diego, Dallas and Pittsburgh are among the league's top 10.

The Broncos also will play Indianapolis, who is No. 1 in passing yards per game, Sunday and will face Philadelphia, who is No. 11, Dec. 27.

"People have just decided that's the way to go to move the ball," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "With the rules the way they are, (offenses) are throwing the ball in any situation. You can't really look at the down and distance anymore. You have to expect people are going to come out throwing the ball."

Footnotes.

The Colts are one of the league's best teams at turning mistakes into points. They've scored 68 off turnovers this year. Their victory Sunday over the Titans was their fourth game this season when they have not turned the ball over. . . . Broncos running backs Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter are both up for league-sponsored player-of-the-week awards. Fans can vote on the awards at NFL.com. . . . The Broncos' players were given Monday and Tuesday off by the coaching staff, and the team will return to the practice field today.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13955982