3. Ingram

West
12-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Personally I think Ingram wins it.

I'd go...

1. Suh
2. Gerhardt
3. Ingram

After watching the Texas game, it SHOULD be Suh's hands down. But it won't happen that way; Ingram's gonna win it.

1. Ingram
2. Gerhardt
3. McCoy

BroncoHusker
12-10-2009, 12:31 AM
After watching the Texas game, it SHOULD be Suh's hands down. But it won't happen that way; Ingram's gonna win it.

1. Ingram
2. Gerhardt
3. McCoy

I already knew Suh was a beast, but what he did to Colt McCoy and the Texas O-Line shocked me. That was one of, if not the best, individual defensive performances I've ever seen.

Ravage!!!
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm with you on that.

I would like to see a defensive player win it... especially since Suh has been the most dominating player. The heisman seems to be given to QBs, WRs, and Rbs lately as if they are the only ones eligible. Its the best NCAA player...

1) Suh
2) Gerhardt
3) Ingram

OrangeHoof
12-10-2009, 04:24 AM
My prediction:

1) Ingram
2) McCoy
3) Gerhart

AlWilsonizKING
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Shouldn't it be renamed the "Most Popular" Trophy?

It's hard to believe that each year the Heisman goes to a QB or RB. So no other position can be better than QB or RB.......whatever.

On another note.......look at the production of the past few winners when entering the NFL......not much going on there.......lol

PEACE!!!

BroncoHusker
12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
This website has done predictions since '02 and has always predicted the right guy. It updates a few times a day and this race is very close.

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/

Right now they've got...
1. Ingram 42.4%
2. Gerhardt 40.8%
3. Suh 39.5%
4. McCoy 30.9%
5. Tebow 10.9%

OrangeHoof
12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Right now they've got...
1. Ingram 42.4%
2. Gerhardt 40.8%
3. Suh 39.5%
4. McCoy 30.9%
5. Tebow 10.9%

That's about 160%. Good thing it isn't an award for mathematics.:lol:

Overtime
12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
unfortunately McCoy will probably win it, but he doesn't deserve it at all. He hasn't played like a Heisman winner this year.

1.) Ingram
2.) Suh
3.) Gerhardt.

McCoy and Tebow shouldn't even be making the trip, let alone be in contention.

Ravage!!!
12-10-2009, 11:02 PM
unfortunately McCoy will probably win it, but he doesn't deserve it at all. He hasn't played like a Heisman winner this year.

1.) Ingram
2.) Suh
3.) Gerhardt.

McCoy and Tebow shouldn't even be making the trip, let alone be in contention.

You know.. after the game against Nebraska... I dont' think he does win it.

I think Ingram wins it... but I WANT Suh to win it. I think the Nebraska defense, and specifically Suh..... took away McCoy's PRIME chance to win it.

BroncoHusker
12-11-2009, 07:34 AM
That's about 160%. Good thing it isn't an award for mathematics.:lol:

Not real sure how they do their math, but they do get the pick right.

Final projection is sometime this morning.

------------------
EDIT: Here is their explanation:

A couple of folks on Twitter have noticed that the vote totals add up to more than 100%. Here's the explanation.

Each H------ voter identifies their #1, #2, and #3 pick. Top vote gets 3 pts, second place gets 2 pts, third gets 1 point. Therefore, each ballot has a total of six points - but the most any one candidate can get is three points.

A unanimous #1 selection would get three points on every single ballot. That'd be 50% of all the available points. We used to report our totals that way, but it confused the heck outta people (since the real-life totals, not unanimous, put the leaders down in the mid-20s.)

So, we report our totals as percentage-of-unanimous, or how-close-to-perfect-#1.

As a result, the total projection values will add up to 200%, not 100%.

GEM
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM

That sack is a thing of beauty. :D

Ravage!!!
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM

------------------
EDIT: Here is their explanation:

A couple of folks on Twitter have noticed that the vote totals add up to more than 100%. Here's the explanation.

Each H------ voter identifies their #1, #2, and #3 pick. Top vote gets 3 pts, second place gets 2 pts, third gets 1 point. Therefore, each ballot has a total of six points - but the most any one candidate can get is three points.

A unanimous #1 selection would get three points on every single ballot. That'd be 50% of all the available points. We used to report our totals that way, but it confused the heck outta people (since the real-life totals, not unanimous, put the leaders down in the mid-20s.)

So, we report our totals as percentage-of-unanimous, or how-close-to-perfect-#1.

As a result, the total projection values will add up to 200%, not 100%.

I'm glad you posted this, because I KNEW it had something to do with the 3pt 2pt 1pt system based on 1st 2nd 3rd votes.... but didn't know how it would come down to percentages.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Ingram probably has it locked up but If I had a vote it would be Suh.

CoachChaz
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
McCoy will win it. he's the big name and has been near the top of the list all year. As far as dominant players go, I'd say Suh and Gerhart are the most deserving, but if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on McCoy going home with it.

OrangeHoof
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm glad you posted this, because I KNEW it had something to do with the 3pt 2pt 1pt system based on 1st 2nd 3rd votes.... but didn't know how it would come down to percentages.

Because it really isn't a percentage. They can call it what they want (points, index, rankings, etc.) but it is NOT a percentage.

OrangeHoof
12-11-2009, 01:32 PM
McCoy will win it. he's the big name and has been near the top of the list all year. As far as dominant players go, I'd say Suh and Gerhart are the most deserving, but if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on McCoy going home with it.

I was surprised to see McCoy win as many awards as he did Thursday night (Camp, Maxwell, O'Brien) but I still think Ingram is going to win the Heisman.

OrangeHoof
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Heisman = best player at a glamor position from a glamor school having a great season. As one local wag says "It's a beauty pageant minus the swimsuits."

GEM
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
A great OPINION piece that pretty much agrees with what most here have said:

OPINION
By Shaun Powell
NBCSports.com contributor
updated 7:50 a.m. MT, Fri., Dec . 11, 2009

Image: Shaun Powell
Shaun Powell

It was just about 30 years ago when we truly discovered the exact reason why the Heisman Trophy depicted a guy with a stiff arm: He was keeping all worthy defensive candidates from ever getting their hands on the trophy.

Back in 1980, the best player in college football was tough enough to snap that arm in half. Hugh Green spread fear across football fields like it was fertilizer. He played linebacker for the Pitt Panthers but actually was all over the place, sacking quarterbacks, maiming running backs, defending passes and generally delivering lots of pain. His biggest drawback was he never threw or ran with the ball. His problem was he played defense.

He wasn’t George Rogers, in other words. Rogers ran for 1,781 yards that year as a one-man show for South Carolina. Good player, no doubt. Worthy of Heisman consideration, definitely. But Rogers wasn’t the best player in college football. Put it this way: Had their teams met, and this is subjective thinking of course, Green would’ve sent Rogers running 1,781 yards in reverse.

Obviously, you know what happened. Rogers won the trophy, Green settled for runner-up in the voting. And the voting wasn’t even tight, 1,128 to 861, another slap in the face for Green and everyone who played defense. They say defense wins games. Defense just can’t win Heismans.

(And please, spare me the Charles Woodson example. Woodson won the trophy because he also ran the ball and caught the ball. Woodson’s true position was football player.)

On Saturday, the Heisman is up for grabs because nobody in college football had a Barry Sanders season. All of the finalists are bringing a flaw to New York for the ceremony. Colt McCoy was borderline horrible in the Big 12 championship game and nearly blew it for Texas on the next to last play when he forgot how much time remained. Tim Tebow cried on the bench in the Southeast Conference title game when he re-discovered what losing felt like. Toby Gerhart plays for Stanford, which means he spent too much time studying and not enough effort trying to reach 2,000 yards, which he needed (in the minds of voters) to overcome Stanford’s record. Mark Ingram wasn’t the leading rusher in college football.

And Ndamukong Suh’s problem? That’s obvious. He plays defense.

As a defensive tackle, he wasn’t included in the pre-season “Heisman Watch,” that silly list compiled every year by lazy media types who choose their candidates on what they did last year. Nobody bothered to document his tackles or follow how many times he caused quarterbacks to crumble or caught running backs after being triple teamed. That’s not sexy enough for the voters, you see, who were too busy counting rushing yards and passing yards and touchdowns, the easiest way to keep track of who “belongs” in the Heisman discussion.

All Suh did was carry a Nebraska team that didn’t exactly have Turner Gill at quarterback or Mike Rozier at running back. All Suh did was keep the Cornhuskers competitive, all the way ‘til the end, when he had 4½ sacks against Texas in the Big 12 title game but lost because their kicker couldn’t keep the ball inbounds.

Suh is Hugh Green and based on everyone’s gut feel, Ingram is George Rogers. Yes, it’s happening all over again. The best player in the country is about to get scrHughed.

Look, Ingram isn’t such a bad candidate or unworthy of consideration. He was the best offensive player for an undefeated Alabama team. He came up with big games when necessary. His story is compelling too, as the son of a fallen football star who’s now doing time. He rushed for 1,542 yards and punched into the end zone 15 times. That’s a solid season, by any standard. And the Crimson Tide, in their storied history, never had a Heisman winner before, if that means anything.

If Ingram wins the trophy, and he will, there will be no outcry or charges of robbery. He’s exactly what the trophy is all about, an offensive player who played for a visible program and helped his team go undefeated with a solid performance. In a teary-eyed acceptance speech that will go over well on TV, he’ll thank his father, former Giants receiver Mark Ingram, and become a permanent part of Alabama legend.

Another flashy player who scores touchdowns will then walk off with the trophy again, and another very worthy defensive player will be denied. Happens often. Suh will look at the trophy and wonder what-if, as in, what if he had the chance to play Alabama and tackle Ingram this season?

Just a hunch, but I’m sure the Bama offense would’ve kept Ingram’s chances alive by running toward the other side of the field.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34366710/ns/sports-college_football/

Ravage!!!
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Heisman = best player at a glamor position from a glamor school having a great season. As one local wag says "It's a beauty pageant minus the swimsuits."

Ohhhh.. that sounds like Miss Nude beauty pageant! :D :beer:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-11-2009, 08:22 PM

OPINION
By Shaun Powell
updated 7:50 a.m. MT, Fri., Dec . 11, 2009

Image: Shaun Powell
Shaun Powell

It was just about 30 years ago when we truly discovered the exact reason why the Heisman Trophy depicted a guy with a stiff arm: He was keeping all worthy defensive candidates from ever getting their hands on the trophy.

Back in 1980, the best player in college football was tough enough to snap that arm in half. Hugh Green spread fear across football fields like it was fertilizer. He played linebacker for the Pitt Panthers but actually was all over the place, sacking quarterbacks, maiming running backs, defending passes and generally delivering lots of pain. His biggest drawback was he never threw or ran with the ball. His problem was he played defense.

He wasn’t George Rogers, in other words. Rogers ran for 1,781 yards that year as a one-man show for South Carolina. Good player, no doubt. Worthy of Heisman consideration, definitely. But Rogers wasn’t the best player in college football. Put it this way: Had their teams met, and this is subjective thinking of course, Green would’ve sent Rogers running 1,781 yards in reverse.

Obviously, you know what happened. Rogers won the trophy, Green settled for runner-up in the voting. And the voting wasn’t even tight, 1,128 to 861, another slap in the face for Green and everyone who played defense. They say defense wins games. Defense just can’t win Heismans.

(And please, spare me the Charles Woodson example. Woodson won the trophy because he also ran the ball and caught the ball. Woodson’s true position was football player.)

On Saturday, the Heisman is up for grabs because nobody in college football had a Barry Sanders season. All of the finalists are bringing a flaw to New York for the ceremony. Colt McCoy was borderline horrible in the Big 12 championship game and nearly blew it for Texas on the next to last play when he forgot how much time remained. Tim Tebow cried on the bench in the Southeast Conference title game when he re-discovered what losing felt like. Toby Gerhart plays for Stanford, which means he spent too much time studying and not enough effort trying to reach 2,000 yards, which he needed (in the minds of voters) to overcome Stanford’s record. Mark Ingram wasn’t the leading rusher in college football.

And Ndamukong Suh’s problem? That’s obvious. He plays defense.

As a defensive tackle, he wasn’t included in the pre-season “Heisman Watch,” that silly list compiled every year by lazy media types who choose their candidates on what they did last year. Nobody bothered to document his tackles or follow how many times he caused quarterbacks to crumble or caught running backs after being triple teamed. That’s not sexy enough for the voters, you see, who were too busy counting rushing yards and passing yards and touchdowns, the easiest way to keep track of who “belongs” in the Heisman discussion.

All Suh did was carry a Nebraska team that didn’t exactly have Turner Gill at quarterback or Mike Rozier at running back. All Suh did was keep the Cornhuskers competitive, all the way ‘til the end, when he had 4½ sacks against Texas in the Big 12 title game but lost because their kicker couldn’t keep the ball inbounds.

Suh is Hugh Green and based on everyone’s gut feel, Ingram is George Rogers. Yes, it’s happening all over again. The best player in the country is about to get scrHughed.

Look, Ingram isn’t such a bad candidate or unworthy of consideration. He was the best offensive player for an undefeated Alabama team. He came up with big games when necessary. His story is compelling too, as the son of a fallen football star who’s now doing time. He rushed for 1,542 yards and punched into the end zone 15 times. That’s a solid season, by any standard. And the Crimson Tide, in their storied history, never had a Heisman winner before, if that means anything.

If Ingram wins the trophy, and he will, there will be no outcry or charges of robbery. He’s exactly what the trophy is all about, an offensive player who played for a visible program and helped his team go undefeated with a solid performance. In a teary-eyed acceptance speech that will go over well on TV, he’ll thank his father, former Giants receiver Mark Ingram, and become a permanent part of Alabama legend.

Another flashy player who scores touchdowns will then walk off with the trophy again, and another very worthy defensive player will be denied. Happens often. Suh will look at the trophy and wonder what-if, as in, what if he had the chance to play Alabama and tackle Ingram this season?

Just a hunch, but I’m sure the Bama offense would’ve kept Ingram’s chances alive by running toward the other side of the field.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34366710/ns/sports-college_football/

Incredible writing, just outstanding. Bino Cook even said on the herd after Colin got in his ear that he wishes he had voted for Suh but didn't even think about putting down a defensive player's name. Too bad he can't change his vote. Suh is not a football player, He's a one man army.

Skinny
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

OPINION
By Shaun Powell
Dec 11, 2009

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34366710/ns/sports-college_football/They did meet, in the Gator Bowl (http://www.gatorbowl.com/boxscores/36th.htm) that year.

Pitt won 37-9.

Rogers ran for 113 yards.

:asshat:

Nomad
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Just curious and I don't know if this is correct, but who was the last Heisman winner to win a National championship and usually the Heisman winner's team doesn't win the National championship!!

You're right AlWilsonIZKing, it's a popularity contest and becoming like the NFL HOF which I have no respect for!! It would be my nail in the coffin if McCoy gets this trophy when it's apparent Ingram, Gerhart, and Sue carried their teams and were miles ahead of McCoy! When McCoy played the 3 quality teams on their schedule, he struggled, but he did a fine job against the cupcake teams and the weak Big 12!!:coffee:

I guess this answers my question!! Hopefully Ingram doesn't win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/heisman-winners-and-the-national-championship/

honz
12-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Ingram wins. Weak. I'k pretty sure the other RB up for the award had better stats. East coast/SEC bias prevails again! Yeah, the Heisman really doesn't mean jack anymore.

Devilspawn
12-12-2009, 09:19 PM
That sack is a thing of beauty. :D
That's what she said!

I wish Suh had won it.

Dzone
12-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Ingram wins. Weak. I'k pretty sure the other RB up for the award had better stats. East coast/SEC bias prevails again! Yeah, the Heisman really doesn't mean jack anymore.

Yep. Oh well. Its a joke. If it werent so hyped, nobody would give a ****. Remember rashaan salaam...lol

SM19
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
The thing that got me was that apparently in every one of the "swing" regions, McCoy got third place while Suh was voted fourth or worse. To me, this just indicates that the voters didn't do their homework. I can't take the award seriously if the people who vote for it aren't going to.

jhildebrand
12-12-2009, 09:33 PM
That's what she said!

I wish Suh had won it.

I was pulling for Suh as well. The Heisman voters showed once again that the Heisman is the UNOFFICIAL BEST OFFENSIVE player award. :tsk:

I was pulling for Suh then Gerhart.I really think the voters got this wrong. I also think ESPN and their influence has allowed writers/voters to become lazy. Far too often it is a popularity contest than true numbers. Meh whatever. At least this gives Suh a shot to be there at 10 when the Broncos draft.

Nomad
12-12-2009, 10:47 PM
DAMN! I was pulling for Gerhart! Shit the luck because Texass WILL win the BCS NCG!!!:tsk:

Skinny
12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
DAMN! I was pulling for Gerhart! Shit the luck because Texass WILL win the BCS NCG!!!:tsk:Bama.

West
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Bama.

This. Skinny and his Gamecocks know all about Bama's running game and defense. ;)

Nomad
12-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Bama.

I hope so Skinny! I guess my superstitious side says otherwise, because it's not very often the Heisman winner's team wins the NC.

broncophan
12-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Archie Griffin............still the only 2 time winner of the Heisman Trophy..:D

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm going with Bama. Texas doesnt impress me.

NightTrainLayne
12-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Yep. The recent Heisman winners team's didn't fare too well in the National Championship games. . .but those were QB's. I don't see that there'd be any Heisman hangover for Alabama.

Ravage!!!
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM

I completely agree. But it seems the more one team is favored, the worst they do in the Championship game. The last time Texas won the Championship, they were BIG underdogs.

If I had to pic, I definitely go with Alabama. Texas couldn't handle Nebraska's defense.

West
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Yep. The recent Heisman winners team's didn't fare too well in the National Championship games. . .but those were QB's. I don't see that there'd be any Heisman hangover for Alabama.

I don't either, especially when Bama has a coach that won't allow hangovers. (Yes Utah was a fluke). Bama will be ready to go.

CoachChaz
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I completely agree. But it seems the more one team is favored, the worst they do in the Championship game. The last time Texas won the Championship, they were BIG underdogs.

If I had to pic, I definitely go with Alabama. Texas couldn't handle Nebraska's defense.

Keep in mind they were big underdogs to the USC powerhouse. A few NFL teams would have been underdogs in that game.

Texas is winning games based on their opponents untimely mistakes lately. No way that holds up against Bama