PDA

View Full Version : D-line rotation question

SoCalImport
12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
I've been limited by continent and poor bandwidth when it comes to watching the Broncos this year.
Maybe some of you that have watched more games can help with this, or post a link if some site has tracked it.

I get that the starters on the D-line are
McBean, Fields and Peterson... then
Smith, Thomas and Holliday

What I'm looking for is a rough idea of % of snaps played by our rotation.

is it pretty close to even distribution? Does Baker get any meaningfull snaps?

:salute:
Thanks

Dirk
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
:noidea:

Funny...I never pay attention to such things on the D-line. I wish I could help you out bro.

honz
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't think Baker has played much at all. Thomas gets most of the backup reps at NT. And I couldn't tell you the % of snaps they all get, but they rotate a lot. The starters seem to get most of the 1st and 2nd down reps and we bring in different guys on passing downs. Holliday seems to always be in on 3rd downs. Same with Ayers...even though he is technically a LB.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Baker has been inactive most of the year. He was still really raw coming out of college. I haven't really payed much attention to the DL rotation either.

outdoor_miner
12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
This is a good question, and I would be interested if anyone actually tracks this.

Just based on an extremely unscientific "eyeball" test (I try to look at the D-line every now and again to see who's lined up and in on plays), the guys I notice most often in our base defense are Fields, Peterson, McBean, and Thomas (in that order). Holliday seems to come in on obvious passing downs. I have not seen much of LeKevin Smith recently. Baker has gotten pretty much zero time.

If you look at stats as an indicator (I know it's not perfect, but it's a start), here's how they break down in terms of tackles:

Peterson: 35
Fields: 29
Holliday: 23
McBean: 14
Thomas: 12
Smith: 7
Baker: 0

CoachChaz
12-09-2009, 03:51 PM
IMO, Thomas has mostly outplayed Fields and the old man (Holliday) has been the overall best of the bunch