TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13947929

Broncos bring new look to face old nemesis Manning
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/08/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/08/2009 11:21:51 AM MST

Go ahead, try to play keep-away from Peyton Manning by running the ball.

Ask the Miami Dolphins how well that works.

Sure, give the blitz a shot. Why not? Blitz every play, for all Manning cares.

"I wish it was that easy," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said.

Now check out those sack stats. In 12 games this season, all victories, Manning has been sacked an NFL-low 10 times, or 34 fewer than Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers after his game Monday night.

Want to know how the Broncos are supposed to beat Manning and the Indianapolis Colts when they meet Sunday in an AFC showdown of playoff contenders at Lucas Oil Stadium? Don't ask the Dolphins. They held the ball for more than 45 minutes of a 60-minute game in Week 2, but still gave up 27 points to Manning and lost.

As Manning and stats are often irresistibly connected, check out these numbers in the last four full games he has played against the Broncos, dating to the 2003 AFC first-round playoff game: 101- of-125 passing (80.8 percent), 15 touchdown passes, one interception, an average of 343 passing yards a game and a 148.7 passer rating.

Perhaps, the most difficult-to-believe aspect about the sequence of those numbers is 148.7 isn't the highest-possible rating. That would be 158.3, or what Manning posted against the Broncos in that 2003 playoff game.

A big mistake many make with the 2009 Broncos, though, is comparing them to past Broncos teams. For example, this year's Broncos have one of the league's best collections of defensive backs.

Cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins have a combined 15 Pro Bowl appearances that may extend to 17 by month's end. The Broncos' "other" cornerback, Andre Goodman, has been the team's top playmaker with four interceptions and a touchdown, and the "other" safety, Renaldo Hill, is among the most underrated deep center fielders in the game.

"And now that you add Ty Law in the mix," linebacker Andra Davis said.

By all means, don't forget Ty Law. Manning surely hasn't. Law is the career leader in Peyton Manning interceptions with 11.

Finally, a Manning stat the Broncos can revere. Still confused why Broncos coach Josh McDaniels signed Law five weeks ago to be his nickel back?

Go back to the offseason when McDaniels was putting together his first Broncos roster. Goodman, Dawkins and Hill were the first players he signed in free agency. In the draft, he took two more defensive backs, Alphonso Smith and Darcel McBath, in the second round.

"At certain points in the National Football League, you have to win games by throwing the football or defending the pass when you know you have to throw it," McDaniels said.

Something else these Broncos have that Manning didn't encounter against past Broncos teams:the 3-4 defense.

He threw a career-high six interceptions against the San Diego Chargers and their 3-4 defense in a 2007 regular-season game. And that NFL-tying 21-game winning streak the Colts will take into their game Sunday against the Broncos? It doesn't include their 23-17, first-round playoff loss at San Diego last season. The Chargers also bounced the Colts from the 2007 playoffs.

It was the Pittsburgh Steelers and the 3-4 defense that toppled the top-seeded Colts from the 2005 playoffs and New England's 3-4 defense stymied Manning in the 2003 and 2004 playoffs.

Manning's Colts did win a Super Bowl after the 2006 season. But in five of the past six years, a 3-4 defense denied them a second Super Bowl title.

"After the fact, we'll be able to say if we can put ourselves in that group of those you mentioned," Nolan said, "But right now it's hard to say. We like the guys we have. We like our chances. Our guys seem to respond well to our scheme. There's a lot of positives, but the same thing can be said about Indianapolis. As we all know they respond very well to what they do."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
When you said "new look" I though we were bringing back the orange pants, though I suppose that wouldn't exactly be new.

weazel
12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
As Manning and stats are often irresistibly connected, check out these numbers in the last four full games he has played against the Broncos, dating to the 2003 AFC first-round playoff game: 101- of-125 passing (80.8 percent), 15 touchdown passes, one interception, an average of 343 passing yards a game and a 148.7 passer rating.

Perhaps, the most difficult-to-believe aspect about the sequence of those numbers is 148.7 isn't the highest-possible rating. That would be 158.3, or what Manning posted against the Broncos in that 2003 playoff game.

LMAO!

thats insane...

weazel
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
When you said "new look" I though we were bringing back the orange pants, though I suppose that wouldn't exactly be new.

when he said "new look" I thought he meant some crazy ass scheme like the wild platypus!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
when he said "new look" I thought he meant some crazy ass scheme like the wild platypus!

now that would be sweeeet. :cool:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/artoftroy/Nebraska%20Runs/IZ/43DiveA.gif

Northman
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
We are still going to beat them. I feel it.

Gamechanger
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
new look? pfft

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 05:56 PM
new look? pfft

I like you Gamechanger but please take the smack to the right forum.

Gamechanger
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I like you Gamechanger but please take the smack to the right forum.

sorry, caught in the moment

smack aside, I like what their doing, but idk if it's enough