PDA

View Full Version : Orton learning to trust Marshall

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/05/orton-learning-to-trust-marshall

Orton learning to trust Marshall
Posted Dec. 05, 2009 @ 1:41 p.m.
By Dan Parr

Broncos QB Kyle Orton is learning to use less caution when it comes to getting the ball to WR Brandon Marshall, we hear. Orton has built a career on limiting mistakes and taking what the defense gives him, which is a philosophy that attracted head coach Josh McDaniels to Orton before he acquired him in the trade for Jay Cutler in April. Marshall, however, is one of the rare receivers who can make plays even with a defender attached to his hip or while in a crowd, and it is taking McDaniels and Orton some time to get comfortable with focusing on getting the ball into Marshall's hands in those situations. The fourth-year receiver has grown frustrated with Orton at times because of his risk-averse nature on the field. Orton is still far from reckless, but he clearly is gaining confidence in Marshall and takes shots where he used to check down to safer, and less talented, options.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes more and more so every week.

Iron Horse72
12-09-2009, 03:43 AM
All Orton has to do is throw it in the area of Marshall and it's a catch.

claymore
12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Yes more and more so every week.

Yeah we lit it up this week with our 180 yard aerial domination of the Chiefs.

Italianmobstr7
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM

When you're up by 31 there's no reason to throw. Brandon scored another TD this week, and we threw the ball down the field to him at least 2 or 3 times. 1 was batted away by a good play by Brandon Flowers, the other was thrown out of bounds in the end zone on a bad throw from Orton. Orton is clearly growing more comfortable with Marshall and has been looking his way a ton.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Anybody know how Brandon's doing as far as drops this year? Considering his McDonald's fiasco last year and all -- I think he has done a great job catchin' the ball!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Anybody know how Brandon's doing as far as drops this year? Considering his McDonald's fiasco last year and all -- I think he has done a great job catchin' the ball!

I'll say!

1 @CIN W 12-7 4 27 6.8 9 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2 CLE W 27-6 3 34 11.3 25 0 1 14 14.0 14 0 0 0
3 @OAK W 23-3 5 67 13.4 23 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0
4 DAL W 17-10 4 91 22.8 51 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
5 NE W 20-17 (OT) 8 64 8.0 13 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0
6 @SD W 34-23 5 49 9.8 15 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
7 Bye Week
8 @BAL L 30-7 4 24 6.0 9 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
9 PIT L 28-10 11 112 10.2 18 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
10 @WAS L 27-17 5 134 26.8 75 2 1 9 9.0 9 0 0 0
11 SD L 32-3 3 26 8.7 22 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
12 NYG W 26-6 6 86 14.3 33 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
13 @KC W 44-13 7 94 13.4 49 1 1 2 2.0 2 0 0 0

GEM
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Hey Clay....why do you have to go in and put a negative spin on every thread? Hell, we win by 30+ pts and you still find stuff to complain about. :yardog:

Ravage!!!
12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
what is all those number? People post those cut-n-pastes like we can read them

claymore
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Clay....why do you have to go in and put a negative spin on every thread? Hell, we win by 30+ pts and you still find stuff to complain about. :yardog:

I cant fluff Ortons mediocraty.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
what is all those number? People post those cut-n-pastes like we can read them

The same format used for every receiver's stat sheet.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I found the statistics at the Washington Post.
(http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7868&team=7)
Marshall has been thrown to 104 times this year and has 65 catches. He has four drops. He is catching 62.5% of the balls thrown his way and 36.5% of them go for first downs. He is also 9th in YAC, with 394. And is tied with a bunch of receivers for a high amount of 3rd down catches!

PHENOMENAL!

GEM
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Yet you fluff the other guy like there's nobodies business....even though his stats are worse than the guy you just called mediocre. :shrugs:

claymore
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Yet you fluff the other guy like there's nobodies business....even though his stats are worse than the guy you just called mediocre. :shrugs:

You cant defend Orton with QB play of a non conference, non divisonal rival. Orton is mediocre on his own. 180 yards, 100 of which were YAC(at least), and 3 turnovers.

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I found the statistics at the Washington Post.
(http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7868&team=7)
Marshall has been thrown to 104 times this year and has 65 catches. He has four drops. He is catching 62.5% of the balls thrown his way and 36.5% of them go for first downs. He is also 9th in YAC, with 394. And is tied with a bunch of receivers for a high amount of 3rd down catches!

PHENOMENAL!

and when you factor in what was a very slow start to the season (stat wise) he has really been coming on strong,hope he carries that forward to the playoffs.....and.....BEYOND !:D:beer:

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM

well,if all else fails you can "fluff" the fact that he already has as many wins as any cutler lead season with 4 games to play !!:elefant::salute:

claymore
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
well,if all else fails you can "fluff" the fact that he already has as many wins as any cutler lead season with 4 games to play !!:elefant::salute:

Cause Cutler has anything to do with Ortons Numbers.

:rolleyes:

You guys realize your only argument in defending Orton is bashing 1 QB that plays in the NFC right?

How in the hell does Jay Cutlers performance have anything to do with Kyle Orton?

GEM
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
You cant defend Orton with QB play of a non conference, non divisonal rival. Orton is mediocre on his own. 180 yards, 100 of which were YAC(at least), and 3 turnovers.

You forgot the most important stat....the W. ;) Of which, he's gotten quite a few of in his career. But hey....if you'd rather focus on bad stats instead of enjoying 8 wins this season, by all means, have at it. ;)

claymore
12-09-2009, 12:12 PM
You forgot the most important stat....the W. ;) Of which, he's gotten quite a few of in his career. But hey....if you'd rather focus on bad stats instead of enjoying 8 wins this season, by all means, have at it. ;)

Team Sport. If the winning formula is 3 yard dump offs and hailmary 4 yard bombs then so be it. I will get used to it. I dont think Orton will be here in 4 years so im not going to get to attached.

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Cause Cutler has anything to do with Ortons Numbers.

:rolleyes:

You guys realize your only argument in defending Orton is bashing 1 QB that plays in the NFC right?

How in the hell does Jay Cutlers performance have anything to do with Kyle Orton?

no,i was'nt bashing cutler. simply saying the broncos are having a decent year and will likely finish with more wins than we have had with the other qb.
and last time i checked thats a GOOD thing.
i said it before and will continue to say it.
if orton throws for 50 yds and no td's in a game that we win.....i'll be happy !:beer:

claymore
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
no,i was'nt bashing cutler. simply saying the broncos are having a decent year and will likely finish with more wins than we have had with the other qb.
and last time i checked thats a GOOD thing.
i said it before and will continue to say it.
if orton throws for 50 yds and no td's in a game that we win.....i'll be happy !:beer:

If Orton throws for 50 yards and we win I will be happy that we won, but I will also be upset with our Offensive Coordinator and Kyle Orton.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Clay,

Denver had 200 yards rushing against the Chiefs. Orton doesn't need to throw for 500+ because of that.

claymore
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Clay,

Denver had 200 yards rushing against the Chiefs. Orton doesn't need to throw for 500+ because of that.

Im more upset with the turnovers and the 30% 3rd down conversion rate that he/we/they posted.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, we have some things to improve upon.

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Team Sport. If the winning formula is 3 yard dump offs and hailmary 4 yard bombs then so be it. I will get used to it. I dont think Orton will be here in 4 years so im not going to get to attached.

you don't have to "get attached" to get "behind" the guy....i mean it's just as easy to say that we have won games because of orton's "smart" play than say ,if we had a better qb we would have won even more games.
look at arron rodgers,having a fantastic year but has the same record as us.
stats dont = wins as weve seen in the past couple years.
i have no desire to tell other people how to be a fan.i just prefer to look at all the positives from this year and dwell on that.we are a far better team than most expected and orton has been a big part of that.so i like to think that no matter how far we get this season,the future looks awefully bright in broncoland. and i really hope we keep orton for 2-3 more years as its been proven over and over that it takes about 3 years for a team to really gel and get to the point where the players are all in synch and know how to get the most out of their talents and scheme.
if we can keep the core guys together and play as a "team"....i see big possibilities.
that being said i have no doubt mcD will draft a qb (maybe a first rounder no later than a third)in next years draft.
brandstater might be his diamond in the rough,but he took alot of heat for using the #12 on moreno.but,he is an offensive minded coach and knows the value of a smart accurate qb.he will be like a kid in a candy store with the qb class next year and knows we need a star behind center to complete the puzzle.
orton will make a perfect veteran ,capable of keeping us competetive,while mcD grooms the future face of the franchise.
the rams are gonna take tebow....so an interesting question,
who would you like to see the broncos grab for the qb of the future?
we have a legit shot at one of the top 3 qb's coming out if we use our pick from chicago.
i think the raiders and chiefs have way too much invested in their qb's to try and get one early,and the lions have their guy ,the browns will likely stick with quinn,so aside from the bucs,panthers and redskins i dont see alot of teams that will draft ahead of us that need a qb.

dogfish
12-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Clay,

seriously. . . 245, to be precise-- when you're running for friggin' 5.4 yards a carry, why pass it?

and marshall still had 7-94 and a TD. . .

clay's like a damn heat-seeking missile, relentlessly targeting any possible chance to gripe bout orton some more. . . dude, we get it already! i don't exactly consider him an all-pro myself, but we're winning games and we're a better team than we have been since '05. . . all it does is get under people's skin and make the boards a less pleasant place to hang out. . .

GEM
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
So you're upset because the game plan and execution wasn't pretty enough for you? :confused:

Lonestar
12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Great post Dog.

While I have in the past been relentless in trying to get others to see the flaws in certain indivduals it is like the you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.
So I have tried real hard the past few weeks to not jump on every chance to "discuss" their shortcomings.

The constant droning on Orton, hillis and others serves no useful purpose.

I say all of this a member of this forum only.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Im more upset with the turnovers and the 30% 3rd down conversion rate that he/we/they posted.

if turnovers upset you...orton is a pretty good guy to root for.....he really has'nt had very many .
2 of his picks this year have been in situations where they meant nothing and you could even go as far as to say that the ones in kc meant nothing as well,i mean we didnt need to win by 50 points 31 was sufficient and enough to win the margin of victory tie breaker with sd:D
we all need to keep in mind the alternative....simms had as many bad plays in 4 quarters than orton has had all year.
orton has done an amazing job of leading this team,proving his metal by playing hurt( both with the ripped open and dislocated index finger,playing with a glove for the first time in his career and a high ankle sprain) and learning one of the leagues most complex offenses in the process.
now let me preface my next comments by saying i was a huge supporter of jay cutler and believed he would be the next great broncos qb.he still may become a great qb someday,but so far he only proven he can sling the ball and rack up stats.great qb's need the physical tools ,and he has them, but equally important (if not more ) is the ability to know when to pull back on the reigns and play smart,take what the defense gives you and give your team the best chance to win.he will eventually learn that but who knows when?
meanwhile on the flipside mcD has shown he may have been on to something letting cutler walk,leading the league in turnovers and more importantly "redzone" turnovers would have made us the 3-13 or 4-12 team most experts predicted us to be....not saying jay would have had as rough a time had he stayed here....but he does seem to be struggling with making "smart" decisions still.and with all the personel turnover and adjustments to the team this year that would have been extremely hard to overcome.

GEM
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
The target for what upsets you changes as points are made, Clay. It's hard to keep up.

T.K.O.
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
The target for what upsets you changes as points are made, Clay. It's hard to keep up.

we doubled our win total in december at arrowhead,winning an absolutely critical division game ,and did so in grand fashion by posting the most points any broncos team has ever reached in the chiefs house !
and clay found a way to be "upset"....i think somebody's got a case of the mundays !:laugh:

claymore
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
you don't have to "get attached" to get "behind" the guy....i mean it's just as easy to say that we have won games because of orton's "smart" play than say ,if we had a better qb we would have won even more games.
look at arron rodgers,having a fantastic year but has the same record as us.
stats dont = wins as weve seen in the past couple years.
i have no desire to tell other people how to be a fan.i just prefer to look at all the positives from this year and dwell on that.we are a far better team than most expected and orton has been a big part of that.so i like to think that no matter how far we get this season,the future looks awefully bright in broncoland. and i really hope we keep orton for 2-3 more years as its been proven over and over that it takes about 3 years for a team to really gel and get to the point where the players are all in synch and know how to get the most out of their talents and scheme.
if we can keep the core guys together and play as a "team"....i see big possibilities.
that being said i have no doubt mcD will draft a qb (maybe a first rounder no later than a third)in next years draft.
brandstater might be his diamond in the rough,but he took alot of heat for using the #12 on moreno.but,he is an offensive minded coach and knows the value of a smart accurate qb.he will be like a kid in a candy store with the qb class next year and knows we need a star behind center to complete the puzzle.
orton will make a perfect veteran ,capable of keeping us competetive,while mcD grooms the future face of the franchise.
the rams are gonna take tebow....so an interesting question,
who would you like to see the broncos grab for the qb of the future?
we have a legit shot at one of the top 3 qb's coming out if we use our pick from chicago.
i think the raiders and chiefs have way too much invested in their qb's to try and get one early,and the lions have their guy ,the browns will likely stick with quinn,so aside from the bucs,panthers and redskins i dont see alot of teams that will draft ahead of us that need a qb.
He's a Bronco, of course I am behind him.

seriously. . . 245, to be precise-- when you're running for friggin' 5.4 yards a carry, why pass it?

and marshall still had 7-94 and a TD. . .

clay's like a damn heat-seeking missile, relentlessly targeting any possible chance to gripe bout orton some more. . . dude, we get it already! i don't exactly consider him an all-pro myself, but we're winning games and we're a better team than we have been since '05. . . all it does is get under people's skin and make the boards a less pleasant place to hang out. . .90 of Marshalls yards were YAC.

I hate our offense (not our players, the scheme). I cant help it.

So you're upset because the game plan and execution wasn't pretty enough for you? :confused:
Exactly.

Great post Dog.

While I have in the past been relentless in trying to get others to see the flaws in certain indivduals it is like the you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.
So I have tried real hard the past few weeks to not jump on every chance to "discuss" their shortcomings.

The constant droning on Orton, hillis and others serves no useful purpose.

I say all of this a member of this forum only.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.You are just as bad as me, except now you are gloating because Shanahan and Cutler are gone.

if turnovers upset you...orton is a pretty good guy to root for.....he really has'nt had very many .
2 of his picks this year have been in situations where they meant nothing and you could even go as far as to say that the ones in kc meant nothing as well,i mean we didnt need to win by 50 points 31 was sufficient and enough to win the margin of victory tie breaker with sd:D
we all need to keep in mind the alternative....simms had as many bad plays in 4 quarters than orton has had all year.
orton has done an amazing job of leading this team,proving his metal by playing hurt( both with the ripped open and dislocated index finger,playing with a glove for the first time in his career and a high ankle sprain) and learning one of the leagues most complex offenses in the process.
now let me preface my next comments by saying i was a huge supporter of jay cutler and believed he would be the next great broncos qb.he still may become a great qb someday,but so far he only proven he can sling the ball and rack up stats.great qb's need the physical tools ,and he has them, but equally important (if not more ) is the ability to know when to pull back on the reigns and play smart,take what the defense gives you and give your team the best chance to win.he will eventually learn that but who knows when?
meanwhile on the flipside mcD has shown he may have been on to something letting cutler walk,leading the league in turnovers and more importantly "redzone" turnovers would have made us the 3-13 or 4-12 team most experts predicted us to be....not saying jay would have had as rough a time had he stayed here....but he does seem to be struggling with making "smart" decisions still.and with all the personel turnover and adjustments to the team this year that would have been extremely hard to overcome.

Cutler is on a shitty team. He is still far better than Orton... I dont care what anybody says.

Hopefully Orton improves. A lack of turnovers is nice, but so are touchdowns and a QB with some balls.

claymore
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
we doubled our win total in december at arrowhead,winning an absolutely critical division game ,and did so in grand fashion by posting the most points any broncos team has ever reached in the chiefs house !
and clay found a way to be "upset"....i think somebody's got a case of the mundays !:laugh:

Im not upset!

CoachChaz
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Im not upset!

Must be drunk

claymore
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Must be drunk

Yes Im drunk.

Lonestar
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM

If Orton throws for 50 yards and we win I will be happy that we won, but I will also be upset with our Offensive Coordinator and Kyle Orton.

90 of Marshalls yards were YAC.

Exactly.

You are just as bad as me, except now you are gloating because Shanahan and Cutler are gone.

Cutler is on a shitty team. He is still far better than Orton... I dont care what anybody says.

Hopefully Orton improves. A lack of turnovers is nice, but so are touchdowns and a QB with some balls.

seems like your initial post about it being a team sport is almost forgotten in the other posts after it..

I have sworn off going after those that I can't/dare not mention did so a few weeks ago.. guess you did not notice.. especially in threads where they were not the focal part of the thread..

Orton does not have the physical skills that Jay has but he has him beat 7 ways to Sunday in the brains department.. and since this game is not ALL about just raw talent I'll take Orton any day..

balls will get you only so far until you meet someone with bigger balls..

GEM
12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
90 of Marshalls yards were YAC.

Exactly.

You are just as bad as me, except now you are gloating because Shanahan and Cutler are gone.

So the whole reason that Cutler has been a loser since high school rests solely on the guys around him. :shrugs: