PDA

View Full Version : Best Comedic Actor?

dogfish
01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
who's your favorite?

there have been lots of greats, but if i have to pick just one i've gotta go with john candy. . . not only was he hilarious, but he was in some truly classic comedies. . .

i'll be interested to see how closely responses break down along generational lines. . .

Cleveland Rocks
02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Umm ..... uh .... err....

Well I do like the Three Stooges and Charlie Chaplin.

Don't much care for modern comedies though. There are a few good ones now and again. But not that many.

John Candy was a good one.

BeefStew25
02-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Heath Ledger was great....

Cleveland Rocks
02-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Heath Ledger was great....

In order to be labeled a "comedic" actor you have to be a comedian.

Heath Ledger was not a comedian. He was a serious actor.

broncogirl7
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
That's a hard question! I like Chevy Chase, Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker together..funny together.

Watchthemiddle
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Chris Farley
Chevy Chase
Bill Cosby

Devilspawn
02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Damn, so many to choose from.

In movies, it used to be Eddie Murphy earlier in his career with the 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cops (I & II), Coming To America, Trading Places and The Golden Child. He had more hits early than he did later in his career. Today, I gotta go with Will Ferrell. Everything he does cracks me up.

For television, I have to go with Ed O'Neil's Al Bundy, before the 1992's season. I don't watch much TV today so all I can think of is Kelsey Grammer. Honorable mentions go to Redd Foxx, Robert Guillaume and Carroll O'Conner.

Slick
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Jim Carey makes me laugh, Ace Ventura still kills me. Farley was hilarious as someone else mentioned.

I agree with DS, early days of Murphy were great too.

MHCBill
02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
In order to be labeled a "comedic" actor you have to be a comedian.

Heath Ledger was not a comedian. He was a serious actor.
That od'd and got what he deserved.

MHCBill
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Too many to list, but the first one that popped into my head was Vince Vaughn.

MOtorboat
02-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Jason Lee...

Rex
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Jay and Silent Bob.
Chris Farley
Jim Carey
John Candy
Chevy Chase
Steve Martin
Will Farrell (on SNL, not his horrible movies)
Chris Rock
Dave Chappel

dogfish
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
alright guys, cut it out with the ledger crap-- i think you guys already got one thread closed over it, and it has no business in this one. . . .

tia

-dogfish

JONtheBRONCO
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Chris Farley...

underrated29
02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
i agree too many to list.

I will say the first two that popped into my head were:

robin williams.
john candy.

More recent folk i would say

john lovits
sean william scott
the black guy that did the 7 up commercials for a while, Orlando something, bloom?, not sure on the last name, but i love that guy too. Hilarious!

Rex
02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I forgot Robin Williams...but I like his stand up more than his acting.

turftoad
02-01-2008, 12:52 PM
No one has mentioned John Beluchi. (sp)

broncogirl7
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I can't believe I forgot Vince Vaughn (I love that guy)!!!
I love John Candy also ( Great Outdoors).
John Belushi (classic Animal House, Neighbors).

Devilspawn
02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
^ I was going to name Voince Vaughn for today's era, but he doesn't bust my gut like Will Ferrell. I just enjoy Vaughn overall and he is one of the few who's entire catalog I'll watch.

the black guy that did the 7 up commercials for a while, Orlando something, bloom?, not sure on the last name, but i love that guy too. Hilarious!
:laugh: No that's Orlando Jones. He and Orlando Bloom are like night and day. Literally. Jones was an original cast member on MadTV and a standout. He was also in three of my all-time favorite movies: Bedazzled, Office Space and Evolution.

Speaking of Office Space, a VERY underrated actor is Gary Cole. He doesn't do comedy traditionally, but when he does he's just as good as his peers imho. yeeeeeeeeeah.

underrated29
02-01-2008, 02:42 PM
^ I was going to name Voince Vaughn for today's era, but he doesn't bust my gut like Will Ferrell. I just enjoy Vaughn overall and he is one of the few who's entire catalog I'll watch.

:laugh: No that's Orlando Jones. He and Orlando Bloom are like night and day. Literally. Jones was an original cast member on MadTV and a standout. He was also in three of my all-time favorite movies: Bedazzled, Office Space and Evolution.

Speaking of Office Space, a VERY underrated actor is Gary Cole. He doesn't do comedy traditionally, but when he does he's just as good as his peers imho. yeeeeeeeeeah.

LOL. Jones thats the man.

Oh , and evolution is one of my all time favs. Its in my top 5 for sure.

:salute: you for good movie taste

slim
02-01-2008, 02:49 PM
John Candy
Chris Farley
Redd Foxx

Italianmobstr7
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Vince Vaughn
Will Ferrell
Ben Stiller

Tned
02-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Matt Damon

DenverBronkHoes
02-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Cleveland....

DUDE!! what the hell is up with the friggin ridiculous SIG man? The guy didnt care enough for himself or his family to not be a drugg addict... In the end, he lost... and a mother and daughter left behind to willow in pain.....

ok back to topic...

chappelle is great
candy
robin williams
old skool eddie
i liked martin short
o yea, and Heath Ledger

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Today it's Vince Vaughn, hands down. Another up and comer is Shia Lebouf (sp?). His delivery and timing is spot on.

Steve Martin for the entire career though.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
No one has mentioned John Beluchi. (sp)

That's because he wasn't funny.

Italianmobstr7
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
That's because he wasn't funny.

He wasn't funny, he was frickin' hilarious!

Broncoschic7
02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
One of my current favorites is Vince Vaughn. I think he'd be cool to just go downtown and hang out with. Wedding Crashers was also one of my all time favorite movies. The more you watch it the better is seemed to get.

Italianmobstr7
02-03-2008, 05:45 PM
One of my current favorites is Vince Vaughn. I think he'd be cool to just go downtown and hang out with. Wedding Crashers was also one of my all time favorite movies. The more you watch it the better is seemed to get.

He's also really funny in "The Break-Up"

Bronco9798
02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Eddie Murphy - 48 hours.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
He wasn't funny, he was frickin' hilarious!

He had no comedic talent whatsoever in my mind. Just another fat guy making stupid faces...YAY!

claymore
02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I dont know If Robin Williams is the best, but he might be the most complete. Dude, can make you laugh or Cry. Cadillac man, is one of my all time favorites.

dogfish
02-03-2008, 10:46 PM

and don't forget swingers-- that movie freakin' rocked!

MileHighWrath
02-04-2008, 12:44 AM
John Goodman as Walter Sobchek. The Big Lebowski.

Broncoschic7
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM

You know that was a really good movie too, but wow what a crummy ending....lol they were supposed to break up but goodness, get back together in the end.........:elefant:

NameUsedBefore
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Chris Farley for pure laughs.

Robin Williams to be both a comedian and a great actor.

broncogirl7
02-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I guess we can't forget Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson, and the "cast" from Family Guy for adult cartoon fans.
I forgot about Shia...he definately has a future. When you see him in "Transformers," you can tell he has a natural comedic talent.

shank
02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
He had no comedic talent whatsoever in my mind. Just another fat guy making stupid faces...YAY!

i gotta side with you man, i just do not think belushi was funny. yes i've seen animal house, and i am in college, and i just didnt' think it was funny... belushi as meatloaf on snl gets laughs, but that's one thing out of many for me...

shia is pretty damned funny. i don't know how many of the rest of you are my age, but i grew up watching him on even stevens and thought he was hilarious and knew he would eventually become a star.

i also watched that show flash forward, and the kid on there was hilarious too, but he's only been in a couple things since, and nothing comedic. i know he was in alpha dog and 3:10 to yuma.. can't think of his name.

ferrell
farley
no one has said ryan reynolds yet, he's got great comedic timing, but he has started doing romantic comedies which is an effing shame (rent van wilder and wating if you disagree)
ben stiller, although i wish he would make a movie that doesn't make me want to kill myself the whole time because everything goes wrong it's just painful to watch...
owen wilson is decent in wedding crashers, and him and stiller are perfect in zoolander-> if you haven't seen zoolander, or if you don't like zoolander, then we have problems
chapelle
adam sandler has to be somewhere on the list- when he makes a good one, it's very good.
steve carrell is very good
i know he's not an actor, but i gotta throw props to conan o'brian-one of the guys that makes me laugh more than anyone else i can think of right now, even without writers.
simon pegg and nick frost (shaun of the dead, hot fuzz) those movies are hilarious, and pegg is very good in 'big nothing' as well

that's it, i'm tapped out for now

oh! and on the robin williams note; patch adams made me shed a tear or two... no shame boys.

Broncolingus
02-15-2008, 01:26 PM
OJ Simpson...best comedic actor ever!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/popvulture/uploaded_images/oj_simpson_narrowweb__300x472,0-781304.jpg

underrated29
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I love renolds,sandler,schneider,bueshmie all are awesome. I know most wont agree with me but also gotta throw some love out for CHRistopher Walken. THat man is hilarious. And all of his little cliches and anaologies he uses in movies- absolutley crack me up.

Broncolingus
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
i gotta side with you man, i just do not think belushi was funny. yes i've seen animal house, and i am in college, and i just didnt' think it was funny... belushi as meatloaf on snl gets laughs, but that's one thing out of many for me...

shia is pretty damned funny. i don't know how many of the rest of you are my age, but i grew up watching him on even stevens and thought he was hilarious and knew he would eventually become a star.

i also watched that show flash forward, and the kid on there was hilarious too, but he's only been in a couple things since, and nothing comedic. i know he was in alpha dog and 3:10 to yuma.. can't think of his name.

ferrell
farley
no one has said ryan reynolds yet, he's got great comedic timing, but he has started doing romantic comedies which is an effing shame (rent van wilder and wating if you disagree)
ben stiller, although i wish he would make a movie that doesn't make me want to kill myself the whole time because everything goes wrong it's just painful to watch...
owen wilson is decent in wedding crashers, and him and stiller are perfect in zoolander-> if you haven't seen zoolander, or if you don't like zoolander, then we have problems
chapelle
adam sandler has to be somewhere on the list- when he makes a good one, it's very good.
i know he's not an actor, but i gotta throw props to conan o'brian-one of the guys that makes me laugh more than anyone else i can think of right now, even without writers.
simon pegg and nick frost (shaun of the dead, hot fuzz) those movies are hilarious, and pegg is very good in 'big nothing' as well

oh! and on the robin williams note; patch adams made me shed a tear or two... no shame boys.

Good call on Reynolds...he was friggin hilarious in 'Best Friends.'

shank
02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Good call on Reynolds...he was friggin hilarious in 'Best Friends.'

'just friends' :salute:

i agree, i forgot about that one.

Benetto
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Jason Alexander
Jack Black
Will farell
Sean William Scott (Stiffler)

G_Money
02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Tom Hanks - his early comedies are gems. If the Burbs or the Money Pit don't bust you up, you just have no appreciation for comedy. Has some of the most natural and graceful comic timing of all time, and his choice to only do dramas now is a pity.

John Candy - ridiculously funny man. Understands how to be the lead and how to be the sidekick. Was always funny without the bitterness of a Farley.

Eddie Murphy - made some of the greatest comedies of the decade. Was terrific at angry comedy and could be as nuanced or broad as you wanted. Then he lost his faith in it and started only doing the broad.

Richard Pryor - Before the blow and the disease chewed him up, he was hilarious.

Gene Wilder - effortless in keeping up with some of the great comedians working around him. Made movies work that shouldn't have.

Dennis Leary - a perfectly believable blend of bitter and resigned. A ranter who normally plays ranters, but his work on Rescue Me shows more depth than his early roles (though the Ref is still one of my favorite movies).

------------------------------------

Back in history:

Cary Grant - perhaps the most perfect screwball comic timing ever. Very hard to be dashing and self-deprecating, but he was both.

Lucille Ball - smarter than every other comedian working at the time.

Carol Burnett - ridiculously funny and still under-appreciated

Bob Newhart - nobody gives Bob any love any more, but he had the immense ability to make everyone else funnier in what they said by his reaction (or lack of reaction) to them. Worked as a magnifying agent, and did some remarkable work.

Laurel and Hardy - forget the Stooges, nobody had better timing than Laurel and Hardy...well, perhaps except for Abbott and Costello. I loved both duos.

Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin - the grand old masters of the silent stage, who had to give you the setup and the delivery without the benefit of voice or sound effects, just a running garish musical track.

~G

Benetto
02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
http://img236.echo.cx/img236/6263/stiffler9hc.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2008, 05:29 PM

ferrell
farley
chapelle

Ben Foster...and I agree. He is also in 3:10 to Yuma.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004936/

Hey do you rmemeber the episode when that girl (I think her name was Becca) got a boyfriend who is full of himself? THAT dude is one of the best actors going...Ryan Gosling. Disney really cranks em out.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331516/

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Ben Foster...and I agree. He is also in 3:10 to Yuma.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004936/

Hey do you rmemeber the episode when that girl (I think her name was Becca) got a boyfriend who is full of himself? THAT dude is one of the best actors going...Ryan Gosling. Disney really cranks em out.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331516/