PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Another dive in December?

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 09:31 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13946163

Broncos Mailbag: Another dive in December?
Posted: 12/08/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season.

Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.

Hi. I keep reading stuff about how, in the past few years, Denver has collapsed in December, and there are predictions they will do the same this year. My question is: Why? They have a different coach, a lot of different players and a whole new system.
-- Stephen Curtis, Dexter, Maine

Stephen - If they're going to compare this team to those in the past, it should refer to the 2005 team that went 13-3 during the regular season and advanced to the AFC championship game. I say that because this team, like that one, was loaded with veteran leaders. In between, an all too young Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were the leaders on offense. Last year's team, which did collapse in December, did so in large part because the Broncos had one of the NFL's youngest teams. There were 12 rookies who had substantial playing time. And it was up to Cutler and Marshall to carry the team before they were emotionally ready to do so.

Veterans win in this league, not rookies or youngsters. The Broncos' core in 2005 -- Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, Jake Plummer, Al Wilson and John Lynch -- could form a rotating speakers' bureau on leadership (with Plummer discussing unconventional forms of leadership). All played at a high level that year.

Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Kyle Orton, Casey Wiegmann, Kenny Peterson and Andra Davis are the leaders on this 2009 team.

New England went a long way with veteran players before Bill Belichick decided they had crossed over to aging players. The reason why the Pats are an ordinary 7-5 is they're in a year of transition, particularly on defense.

What happened with Eddie Royal's injury against the Chiefs? The way he reacted, I thought he ripped tendon. I reacted like he did. Then he was right back on the field doing great, like nothing happened. Just a scare? We can't lose Eddie.
-- Charles W., Denver
Charles - As a returner, Royal will take his share of shots. He does get banged up. He acknowledges this to the point he put on a visible five pounds of muscle in the offseason. He'd put on more, but he can't gain strength at the sake of speed and quickness.

I agree with you, Charles; the Broncos need Royal. People have bemoaned his diminished reception totals this year but he's had to sacrifice some of that production because of his increased role as a returner. He had 37 total returns last season; he's already had a combined 51 returns this year with a quarter of the season left to play.

The Broncos initially had hoped rookie Alphonso Smith would absorb some of the return role this year so they could keep Royal fresh. But apparently Smith isn't quite ready. Next year, maybe.

I'm a half-full type. But Kyle Orton's turnovers against the Chiefs worry me. Were those a result of good coverage by the Chiefs or carelessness by the guy who is known for taking care of the football and not much else?
-- Chet, Los Angeles

Chet - The half-full view would have been Orton picked a good game to have three turnovers. But I understand your concern. Orton was most bothered by his first-drive interception in the red zone. It was only the third red-zone pick of his career. He later added his 31st and 32nd red-zone TD passes, so we shouldn't complain, even if sometimes we still do.
I believe there was greater concern with the two balls stripped from Orton's hand just as he was about to throw. Those fumbles pinpoint Orton's greatest vulnerability, which is lack of mobility. The ball has to get out of his hand, and that means now. Ordinarily, he's very good about this. It's one reason why he's the starter ahead of Chris Simms.

The beauty of Orton is I'm guessing this will be a point of emphasis during this week of practice. He is the NFL's most overachieving quarterback. I know this can be a backhanded compliment, but the guy is 29-15 as a starter.

Why are the Broncos so bipolar?
-- Max, San Diego

Max - Now, that's funny. You San Diego guy, you. Let's review. The Broncos get off to a 6-0 start, outscoring opponents by an average of 22 to 11. Then they fall into an 0-4 skid, where they were outscored, on average, 29 to 9. And now they win two in a row, and win them both decisively, by an average score of 35-10.

Bipolar? Subject to emotional swings, perhaps, but I think they're a good team. Maybe even a very good team that simply had its mojo interrupted by the bye week.

I think they'll give Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts all they want this week. Problem is, Manning's the type of quarterback who only needed 15 minutes of game possession to score 27 points and beat Miami earlier this year. It's ludicrous how good he is. The best of all time, in my opinion, playing right before our eyes.

What's your take on Jeff Fisher criticizing Josh McDaniels' Thanksgiving bench rant? Mine is simple: McDaniels said exactly to the Broncos offense what I wanted to say to them during that Thanksgiving game. They were deadbeats throwing away a game they needed, and should win, by sleepwalking on the field. Thank you, Josh. Jeff, maybe you should look in the mirror and give yourself one of those chewing-outs for never winning a Super Bowl.
-- Dan Nace, St. Louis

Dan - First, Fisher was wrong. He didn't know the story and he took the bait when asked a question from a reporter who didn't know the story. Second, Fisher wasn't commenting on McDaniels' sideline rant, but his alleged "trash talking" incident with San Diego players during pre-game warmups.

Which, as it turned out, was a false allegation twisted from the fertile imagination of Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips. McDaniels was walking out of the Broncos' tunnel at Invesco Field for the Nov. 22 game when Phillips charged up and said, in so many words, he was going to kick the young coach's behind, too. McDaniels shot back by saying that when he was with New England, the Pats "owned you."

And then the Chargers won and Phillips spun a far more provocative tale. Phillips later corroborated McDaniels' version of the story. Which brings up something else, Dan -- Philip Rivers may be the most despised Charger among Broncos fans, but Phillips may be the most detestable Charger among those inside the Broncos' locker room. The general sentiment is he crosses the line between gamesmanship and bush-league.

As for Fisher's comment, "good luck in free agency," he should know better. It's money that talks in free agency. A free agent is not going to say, "Yeah, Denver offered me the most money, but I'm not going there because Josh McDaniels lips off to opposing players." How silly. Free agents have all said the same thing: "Show me the money." It's why the Washington Redskins make the biggest splash every offseason.

Hi, Mike. Weekly reader! With the Bears sliding, where do you see the Broncos' first-round draft choice from the Bears will be and who do you think the Broncos will go after in the first round of the draft? Thanks!
-- Brian, Las Vegas

Brian - With a 5-7 record, the Bears' 2010 first-round pick, which the Broncos acquired in the Jay Cutler trade, would come in anywhere from No. 9-14 if the season ended today.

I continue to shake my head at this nationwide fascination with the draft. So much must happen, personnel-wise, before a team can seriously hunker down on a first-round pick.

The Broncos must first address who they want to bring back from their current roster. The focus there will be on the major financial considerations regarding five key players -- Kyle Orton, Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler.

All are restricted free agents, and if the Broncos treat them as such and give them all one-year, high-tender offers, then their financial commitments won't be so onerous. But I'm guessing they'll have to work out long-term deals with Orton and Dumervil. I'm guessing they may consider putting a second-round, $1.684 million tender on Scheffler, and first- and third-round, $3.043 million tender on Kuper.

Then there's Marshall. The team would love to slap a high tender on him, but they know after this past offseason he would never accept a one-year, $3.043 million deal. Then again, I'm guessing they will do it anyway. That way, Marshall and the Broncos can see for themselves his exact market value. If another team is willing to submit an offer sheet that includes a multiyear contract knowing it would also have to surrender a first- and third-round pick for him, the Broncos would then be faced with the decision of either matching the contract offer and keeping Marshall, or letting him go and taking the two draft picks.

What would you do, Brian?

OK, so after the Broncos are finished deciding upon their own, they can then address needs through free agency. No team was more active in free agency last offseason than the Broncos. They won't be nearly as active this offseason, but they'll sign four or five.

Then it's the draft. I'm sure they would like to select Nebraska nose tackle Ndamukong Suh. But unless the Broncos move up from No. 9-14 to at least No. 2, they can't get him.

Hey, Mike. What qualifies a wild-card team for home-field advantage? Thanks.
-- Peter, Denver

Peter - The only way a wild-card team can host a playoff game is if the other wild-card team, with a worse regular-season record, also reaches the conference championship game. For kicks, let's say the season ended today. The Broncos would hold the AFC's No. 1 wild-card seed, No. 5 overall. That means the only way they would get a playoff game at Invesco Field is if they reached the AFC championship game and met -- gulp! -- the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Mike Klis is in his fifth season of covering the Broncos for The Denver Post. He previously covered the Rockies and Major League Baseball for 15 years. Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.

Dirk
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I always like reading the mailbag. Thanks :salute:

weazel
12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
he agrees with me, Manning is the best QB ever...

Ravage!!!
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
he agrees with me, Manning is the best QB ever...

You should be shunned from the Broncos board forever.

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I always like reading the mailbag. Thanks :salute:

Me too obviously. Klis' answers are usually very informative.

I don't agree with him about the possibility of drafting Suh as a DT. I would l prefer Denver to draft Terrence Cody if they get the chance.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
It did bring up a point that I completely forgot about.... Smith's inability to return kicks. Wasn't this the guy we used a first round pick on?

How hard is it to return kicks? You catch the ball, you run with ball. Thats easier than RBs first year in the NFL... run the ball.

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
It did bring up a point that I completely forgot about.... Smith's inability to return kicks. Wasn't this the guy we used a first round pick on?

How hard is it to return kicks? You catch the ball, you run with ball. Thats easier than RBs first year in the NFL... run the ball.

To me that isn't as big of deal as the fact McDaniels went out and signed a corner back well past his prime to be the nickle back after the release of Jack Williams. Smith may be solid corner for the Broncos in the future but right now he shown many signs of being one.

BroncoWave
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
You should be shunned from the Broncos board forever.

He's right though.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
He's right though.

Thats your and his opinion.. thats fine. I think Manning is a GREAT QB. Is he the best of all time?? *shrugs*.. Not in my opinion. THats purely speculative and there is no "he's right" answer.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
To me that isn't as big of deal as the fact McDaniels went out and signed a corner back well past his prime to be the nickle back after the release of Jack Williams. Smith may be solid corner for the Broncos in the future but right now he shown many signs of being one.

It bothers me more that we went out and signed that corner when we HAD our first round pick. So again, Smith isn't able to return kicks, and isn't the guy we want to start over an aged vet..... the guy we used a first round pick on.

I haven't seen signs of him being a starting CB... no more than we saw from Williams, or any other corner we let go over the last couple years.

But I could understand not breaking into the starting lineup at CB.. but returning kicks is one of the easiest jobs to do in the NFL..... perfect for a rookie cb that is only playing in nickle/dime situations.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I also don't see us crashing in December. We already had our crash in November.