PDA

View Full Version : There's no halt in Buckhalter

Lonestar
12-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Veteran rushes for 113 yards as Broncos get ground game going
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/07/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel, left, tries to bring down the Broncos' Correll Buckhalter grabbing some face mask in the process in the second quarter of Sunday's game at Arrowhead Stadium. Buckhalter had 113 of Denver's 245 yards rushing. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )Related
Broncos vs. Chiefs
Dec 7:
Briefs: Orton's odd day: Red-zone pick, fumbles lost, winWhat the fans are saying: Ground game is winning formulaHali's big rush a big plusQuinn's deflection on K.C.'s trick play, Royal's returns elevating unitRoyal's all-purpose show stuns K.C.Dec 6:
Whitlock: Chiefs' season a disasterDec 7:
Broncos crunch Kansas City, improve to 8-4Armstrong: Broncos in driver's seat for playoff spotDec 6:
L.T., Chargers zap Browns 30-23Raiders stun Steelers 27-24 with 3 late TDsKANSAS CITY, Mo. — For a moment there, Broncos running back Correll Buckhalter was sure he had broken free.

Buckhalter dashed untouched through Kansas City's defensive linemen and linebackers early in the second quarter of Sunday's 44-13 victory at Arrowhead Stadium, but a push from safety Mike Brown knocked Buckhalter off-balance. Buckhalter had gotten past all of the Chiefs' defenders but couldn't stay on his feet and fell near midfield after a gain of 26 yards.

"I should have broken the first one for 80, but it didn't happen," Buckhalter said. "I'm mad at myself, but I had to let it go."

That fall was about all Buckhalter had to be sorry about after Denver's best overall running performance of the season.

In games earlier this season, and especially during their four-game losing streak in November, the Broncos seemed to bail on their running game. On Sunday, the running game was the offense.

Just look at the second-quarter drive that started with Buckhalter's 26-yard run. Seven of the eight plays on the 80-yard drive were rushes, three by Buckhalter (for 56 total yards) and four by rookie Knowshon Moreno, who capped the drive with a 4-yard run, right up the middle of the Chiefs' defense.

"That's what you want. Want to complement each other with the run and the pass, and that's what we did all day today," Moreno said.

By the end of the game, the Broncos had racked up 245 yards rushing — easily their highest total of the season. Buckhalter finished with 113 yards — a single-game season high for the Broncos. Moreno had 86 yards and two touchdowns, and Peyton Hillis added 47 more yards in the fourth quarter.

"The running backs are hitting the holes really well, and they're running so much harder," center Casey Wiegmann said. "Not that they weren't running hard before, but you can tell, when they hit the holes they're trying to break a big one."

For only the second time this season, the Broncos had more yards on the ground than in the air (180 yards passing for Kyle Orton).

"My entire career, we've had more running yards than passing yards coming from Chicago, so stats don't matter," Orton said. "I told Josh (McDaniels) we'd pass it 50 times or run it 50 times, it really doesn't matter to me."

It's a formula the Broncos might need to replicate in coming weeks.

Denver plays indoors at Indianapolis next Sunday, but their other three games all could be played in cold or inclement weather, two at home in Denver and one in Philadelphia.

"Especially in December, you've got to be able to run the ball," Buckhalter said. "It's real critical."

Hillis, who was the third tailback with LaMont Jordan inactive, received his first carries since the third game of the season.

"You want to go back out there and prove you can still do it," Hillis said. "I haven't had very many opportunities here lately, so I try to take advantage of them. Try to make my family proud, try to make myself most of all proud that I could still do it."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13941642

Lonestar
12-10-2009, 09:41 PM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/10/2009 01:32:35 AM MST

Correll Buckhalter #28 of the Denver carries the ball as Mike Vrabel #50 of the Kansas City Chiefs defends during the game on December 6, 2009 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

People hope for Correll Buckhalter.

Oh, how they hope. They pray for Buckhalter, cross their fingers, look for lucky charms, wander in search of life's four-leaf clovers to leave at his doorstep, basically do whatever they believe needs to be done for Buckhalter to do all of the things they just know he can.

"He runs hard, he runs fast and he knows, if you're trying to tackle him, how to create weak shoulders on ya," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "A north-south guy, man, he can make you miss too. Just one of my favorite guys who's been through so much, but when he's healthy, he can do a lot of things."

Ah, when he's healthy. At 31 years old, Buckhalter may be healthier, and happier, than at any previous point in his injury-crossed career. He's suddenly the big-play guy in the Broncos' running game.

He sits at third in the league in yards per carry — at 5.4 — surrounded by 20-somethings who haven't seen, felt or dealt with the kinds of things he has. And with 25 more carries and 24 more rushing yards, Buckhalter would set his single-season highs in both categories.

"This is what I expect from Buck when he's healthy," said Broncos safety Brian Dawkins, who also was Buckhalter's teammate in Philadelphia. "He's a humble guy."

If it is true that what does not kill you makes you stronger, then perhaps Buckhalter is stronger than ever. Having been through three career-threatening knee injuries that cost him three years in what should have been the prime of his career, Buckhalter appears to be running better than ever.

"Coming out of the other end of that, he's a stronger person for it and you see that speed on the football field," Dawkins said.

So, at an age in which the alarm usually goes off for an NFL running back, Buckhalter finds himself breaking off big runs, a 218-pound football riddle who has stumped many veteran personnel men around the league. They find it hard to believe he is running with the kind of explosiveness and decisiveness he has shown this season.

"I am faster, no doubt, but when I first came in the league I was 231 (pounds)," Buckhalter said. "Then I hurt my knee. After my first knee surgery, I got down to 225 for the next couple years. Then I hurt my other knee twice, so I wanted to get down some more. So now I play at 218.

"So, I've trained harder, I weigh less, and with the help of the good Lord, I run a little faster than I did when I was a rookie. I guess I'm a little surprised. I never thought I'd play this light and never thought I'd be faster now than when I came into the league. But I'll take it in stride and hope it keeps on."

Keeps on as the Broncos try to close out December in line for their first playoff spot since the 2005 season.

"This is what I expect from Buck when he's healthy," Dawkins said. "This is what he did in Philadelphia when they gave him a chance. I'm just excited to be able to enjoy that with him."

"You get older, you know, you appreciate things," Buckhalter said, smiling. "I appreciate all of this and who knows? Maybe I'll be faster."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13964839