View Full Version : Broncos in driver's seat for playoff spot

Lonestar
12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Armstrong:
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

Posted: 12/07/2009 01:29:54 AM MST
Updated: 12/07/2009 01:30:13 AM MST

TRUE STORY Did an article for The Post the other day about a Chiefs fan living in Denver who couldn't take it any more. He was so distraught and disgusted, he e-mailed the paper and asked if we could arrange to have him hypnotized into becoming a Broncos fan.

Since The Post, as you know, takes great care of its readers, we arranged to make it happen. And so it is that Dave Hoye, a card-carrying Chiefs fan for 40 years, has a new life, a new attitude and a new team.

Memo to Chiefs fans near and far: Take a hint already, will you?

It's one thing to rebuild. The Chiefs are more like repulsive. The Broncos were more than happy to add to their misery Sunday, pounding their way to an easy 44-13 victory at Arrowhead Stadium.

No typo, just fact: The Broncos beat the Chiefs. At Arrowhead. In December. Nothing out of the ordinary there except that Denver had won at K.C. in December once in 16 games.

I'd say it was a historic moment in franchise history, but beating the Chiefs these days doesn't qualify. Consider this: With the loss, the Chiefs are 9-35 in their last 44 games.

But enough already about the Performers Formerly Known as the Chiefs. The story of the day was how easy the Broncos made it look, cracking the 40-point plateau for the first time since their 2008 opener at Oakland. But the big-picture issue is that Denver tacked on another win to move another step closer to the Broncos' first playoff appearance in four years.

With the dubya, the Broncos improved to 8-4. Go ahead, call them streaky and inconsistent. Yes, they started the season 6-0 before losing four in a row before winning back-to-back games against the Giants and Chiefs. All that matters is that they're in great shape for the playoffs.

Eight wins? With home games remaining against the Chiefs and Raiders? Welcome to the driver's seat, Josh McDaniels. Particularly after the Steelers' shocking home loss to the Raiders. A win in that game and Pittsburgh, which beat the Broncos at Denver, would have been only one game behind the Broncos.

The victory over the Chiefs may well loom more significant next week after the Broncos play the Colts at Indy. With a likely loss there, they would drop to 8-5 with the Raiders next on their schedule.

If the Broncos are going to hang with the Colts, they'll have to run the ball to keep Peyton Manning on the sideline. Now, more than ever, it's conceivable that they could do it. As we speak, their running game is producing at a higher level than at any previous point this season.

What, you thought Correll Buckhalter was signed as a free agent to be a third-down back who wasn't going to get a lot of touches? You're not alone. Instead, Buckhalter, after an injury-filled career in Philadelphia, is having a great season in his first year in a Broncos uniform.

Sunday's game was decided in the third quarter, when the Broncos scored 20 points to break things open. By the end of the quarter, Buckhalter had 11 carries for 114 yards. When Knowshon Moreno went in from 18 yards out to make it 41-13, the Broncos had ground out 202 yards on 33 carries.

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

BCJ
12-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Ive come up with two sayings. "Win 10 and we are in" for just making the playoffs (which hasnt been done in the last 3 seasons) and "Win 'em out to leave no doubt" is for taking the division. With Ravens and Steelers screwing up their season, we wont need to look to get screwed by the tie-breaker. THose two play each other so one of them will lose. Two wild card spots open and we get one with at least 10 wins. All this without Mopey Jay.

Shazam!
12-08-2009, 01:19 AM
All this without Mopey Jay.

Who?

BCJ
12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Who?

some dude with 20 ints and is taking his team to another non winning season. Has been known as the Frown Cannon in some parts.

Dirk
12-08-2009, 06:17 AM
I love it!

My expectations for the season was to be .500 at the end of the season so my expectations have been met. Any more wins and the Broncos will have exceeded my expectations!!

The playoffs are within our grasp. As the Mickey Ds ads say.....I'M LOVIN' IT!!

camdisco24
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
You know whats great?
We're talking about playoffs in our so-called rebuilding year.
No matter what happens, I call that a success. (As long as we dont drop the last fours games) ;)

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 09:38 AM
You know whats great?
We're talking about playoffs in our so-called rebuilding year.
No matter what happens, I call that a success. (As long as we dont drop the last fours games) ;)

Well getting to at least ten wins and making the playoffs just got a little bit easier. Barring something unforeseeable like injuries or a collapse I like our chances.

broncofaninfla
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Assuming we end up with the same record as the bolts after this weekend, who wins the tie breaker?

NightTrainLayne
12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Let's take 'em one at a time fella's. Just a few weeks ago everyone was "counting" the Redskins game as a win along with these last Chief's and Raider's games.

We beat the Chargers handily at their place, and then lost to them handily at our place. We've beaten the Raider's and Chief's handily at their places too. .. but none of these last four games is a lock.

JDL
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Assuming we end up with the same record as the bolts after this weekend, who wins the tie breaker?

As slim as those chances are, here is the answer to your question. Let's assume 11-5 and you can play out the other scenarios based on the following.

DIVISION TIEBREAKER

San Diego is 3-1 (1-1 H2H)
Denver is 3-1 (1-1 H2H)

Analysis: Denver MUST beat both KC and OAK. Period.

CONFERENCE TIEBREAKER
*assumes we beat KC/OAK (or this doesn't matter.)

San Diego is 7-3
Denver is 6-3

Analysis: San Diego in this scenario loses 2 games and Denver loses 1 game. Question is which games?
*If San Diego loses 2 conference games (Cin/Ten) then we take the division as we at worst in this scenario would be 8-4 (2 wins against KC/OAK.)
*IF San Diego loses ONLY 1 of those conference games then we MUST beat Indianapolis to take the division (with a 9-3 conference record.)
*IF San Diego loses no conference games (well, they probably won't finish 11-5 then), but if they did, we'd HAVE to beat Indy just to have a shot.

Common Opponents

San Diego (Division): 5-1
San Diego (AFCN): 1-2
San Diego (NFCE): 2-0
Remaining: DAL, CIN, WAS
TOTAL: 8-3

Denver (Division): 5-1 (assumes KC/OAK wins to get to this tiebreaker)
Denver (AFCN): 2-2
Denver (NFCE): 2-1
Remaining: PHI
TOTAL: 9-4

Analysis: San Diego losing 2 of DAL, CIN or WAS seems pretty imperative. The most likely scenario for us at 11-5 is beating Philadelphia, so that would make us 10-4. So, question is, does San Diego lose two of those three or do they lose to Ten and one of the others. In that case it moves to Strength of Victory.

STRENGTH OF VICTORY

This is the combined SOS of the teams you've beaten. Cinci is a big BIG feather in our cap... the division wins even out. It would be pretty close though and probably depend most on how Miami did down the stretch.

Bottom Line: We really need to beat Indianapolis, unless you are REAL confident that this team can win 3 straight, the way they play (close to the vest.) Our MOST important games are KC/OAK and for SD it is DAL/CIN. However, it is asking A LOT to fall behind potentially by 2 games with a loss to Indy and come back, just from a mental standpoint. I believe, in a sense, we control our own destiny if we somehow someway beat Indianapolis. It brings our conference record even with theirs with 2 conference/division home games against teams we SHOULD beat left. It would put an enormous amount of pressure on San Diego, the next two weeks to go to Dallas and at home against Cinci, to beat both those teams. We have the early game this weekend so let's focus on that... getting a real strong signature win to build some confidence!

rosco
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I honestly wasn't sure what to expect this season but what whatever happens from here on out i'll be happy about how we did this year. Here's to Josh McD getting at the least coach of the year & hopefully a SB ring.

Day1BroncoFan
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
A month or so ago we were driving a Lotus now we're driving a VW bug but oh well, at least we're still in the drivers seat.